Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Back in the wind.

@Anti Federalist

I bought a 2007 VLX 600, took it home, and immediately got the torches out.

I cut up the swing arm, measured a few times, stuck rod in there and welded up and widened it:

Lots of grinding to make clearance for the FAT-ASS tire and chain:

Regrooved the transmission spline with the engine ON, a steady hand and Dremel. Flipped the sprocket, perfect alignment:

Scrapped the drum brake, picked up a Harley Dyna Disc Brake, an after market rotor, and made them fit on the Honda axle. Grinding and shims were required. I picked up a Suzuki Master Cylinder and stuck it between the Harley Disc and the Honda brake pedal lol

I bought a wide-ass spoke wheel and stuck a 240 tire on it:

6 Inch Fork Extensions
    Italian Leather Seat
    Single Bulb Bullet Lights which I wired up to serve as Stop, Turn, Night and 4-Way Flashers
    Self-made Aluminum Cigarette Lighter mounted on the fork which doubles as a charging tender receiver
    ALL Emissions yanked the hell off

Lots of other cutting, grinding and modifications to make it all work that I didn't take pictures of, but here is the finished project:

Oh, and the paint, DuPont Base Coat (GM Green), tapped crumbled-up aluminum foil on the black and silver paint to get the texture that I wanted, then the Clear Coat.

I picked GREEN because everybody said it was bad luck and the last color you ever want to put on a bike, so I went with that ;-)

See? There really is such thing as a Honda Davidson
    Last edited by PAF; 09-19-2022 at 02:55 PM.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Self post move to prevent thread derail:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post7135075
    I went ahead and moved a few other posts here too.

I can't contribute much to this thread. The last motorcycle I used to ride was a Honda CB750, and it's been a long time...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    @Anti Federalist

I bought a 2007 VLX 600, took it home, and immediately got the torches out.

I cut up the swing arm, measured a few times, stuck rod in there and welded up and widened it:

Lots of grinding to make clearance for the FAT-ASS tire and chain:

Regrooved the transmission spline with the engine ON, a steady hand and Dremel. Flipped the sprocket, perfect alignment:

Scrapped the drum brake, picked up a Harley Dyna Disc Brake, an after market rotor, and made them fit on the Honda axle. Grinding and shims were required. I picked up a Suzuki Master Cylinder and stuck it between the Harley Disc and the Honda brake pedal lol

I bought a wide-ass spoke wheel and stuck a 240 tire on it:

6 Inch Fork Extensions
    Italian Leather Seat
    Single Bulb Bullet Lights which I wired up to serve as Stop, Turn, Night and 4-Way Flashers
    Self-made Aluminum Cigarette Lighter mounted on the fork which doubles as a charging tender receiver
    ALL Emissions yanked the hell off

Lots of other cutting, grinding and modifications to make it all work that I didn't take pictures of, but here is the finished project:

Oh, and the paint, DuPont Base Coat (GM Green), tapped crumbled-up aluminum foil on the black and silver paint to get the texture that I wanted, then the Clear Coat.

I picked GREEN because everybody said it was bad luck and the last color you ever want to put on a bike, so I went with that ;-)

See? There really is such thing as a Honda Davidson
    Outstanding brother, nice work.

I wish I had more pictures, I had a riding buddy that used to take pictures of everything, but we've lost touch decades ago.

But this, in black, is pretty close to the first chop I built in 1980.

Two of the neatest features I installed:

A Morris Magneto, so no Lucas electric, battery, rectum finder or wiring.

I bought a Jammer's hardtail and girder. I cut the frame on the upper cross member, welded plugs in each end and the drilled and tapped for brass fitting on the cut out and welded a fill spout right behind the fuel tank, so the oil tank behind the engine was eliminated as well.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Outstanding brother, nice work.

I wish I had more pictures, I had a riding buddy that used to take pictures of everything, but we've lost touch decades ago.

But this, in black, is pretty close to the first chop I built in 1980.

Two of the neatest features I installed:

A Morris Magneto, so no Lucas electric, battery, rectum finder or wiring.

I bought a Jammer's hardtail and girder. I cut the frame on the upper cross member, welded plugs in each end and the drilled and tapped for brass fitting on the cut out and welded a fill spout right behind the fuel tank, so the oil tank behind the engine was eliminated as well.

I just PM'd you, brother! Sweeeeet mods, that bike looks great! All black I can only imagine! Building them is every bit as fun as riding 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

I can't contribute much to this thread. The last motorcycle I used to ride was a Honda CB750, and it's been a long time...

Time to soak the tools in WD-40 and get to work! One of my cousins used to have a CB750, I remember that bike very well!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Fun Facts...

Clint Eastwood's nemesis in "Every Which Way But Loose", Cholla, the leader of The Black Widows M/C, rode a CB750 chopper.

The actor who played Cholla, John Quade, was one of us, he spoke publicly at events all around the country about the constitution, NWO and sound money.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Time to soak the tools in WD-40 and get to work! One of my cousins used to have a CB750, I remember that bike very well!
    It was a classic.

Fun Facts...

Clint Eastwood's nemesis in "Every Which Way But Loose", Cholla, the leader of The Black Widows M/C, rode a CB750 chopper.
    LOL. Yeah, not a bad workhorse to turn into a chopper.

A friend back then had a Harley chopper, may have taken that for a spin once. Didn't really get into choppers or road bikes. Did want to replace the CB750 with a VF500, which were quite the rage at the time. Never did it.

Too much traffic and bad drivers around here. Not worth it anymore.

The actor who played Cholla, John Quade, was one of us, he spoke publicly at events all around the country about the constitution, NWO and sound money.
    Nice. If Clint kept hiring him, they must have had some things in common.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

My 2020 Honda Grom

My current mods:
    Motodynamic fender eliminator kit
    Motodynamic integrated tail light
    Tst Industries flush mount turn signals
    Chimera cold air intake
    Corbin seat
    Kosovo 60% stiffer clutch spring and Koso clutch plate
    Pro taper Klx110 handlebars
    OTB Chain adjusters
    Pro taper chain
    Kenda Dual Sport tires
    PSR footpegs
    Bike Master 12v power adapter
    36 tooth rear sprocket (changed from 34 tooth stock sprocket)
    12 o'clock labs speedometer corrector
    Cheap amazon mirrors
    Last edited by mtr1979; 09-20-2022 at 12:05 AM.

@PAF

Here's a fresh pic, all cleaned up.

@PAF

Here's a fresh pic, all cleaned up.

Amazing what a spit shine can do, looks awesome! ;-) I have that same brand tractor but in 46" lol. I had to re-weld the deck, but after that it's been trouble-free!

Well, kiss my $#@!ing ass...here I've been singing the praises of these Vulcans...

Out riding today with AFsdottir, and notice the bike started idling janky, running rich as hell, barking and snapping through the exhaust.

I noticed this the other day, and figured, well, maybe some manky gas $#@!ing up the idle circuit.

Stopped to take a look, and oil has sprayed from the air breather cover, all over the side and pipes and frame.

WTF, over.

Limp it home, open the oil fill and start it up...massive blowby through the crankcase and breather assembly in the air intake.

$#@!...I'm guessing a cracked or melted piston, broken rings or possibly some failure in the startup decompression system.

I'll do a leak down and compression test on in it the morning, have not got the proper fittings for the plug holes....Got damn it.

@tod evans @PAF

Thread bump and redhead picture tax.

Hands off, that's my daughter.

Well, kiss my $#@!ing ass...here I've been singing the praises of these Vulcans...

Out riding today with AFsdottir, and notice the bike started idling janky, running rich as hell, barking and snapping through the exhaust.

I noticed this the other day, and figured, well, maybe some manky gas $#@!ing up the idle circuit.

Stopped to take a look, and oil has sprayed from the air breather cover, all over the side and pipes and frame.

WTF, over.

Limp it home, open the oil fill and start it up...massive blowby through the crankcase and breather assembly in the air intake.

$#@!...I'm guessing a cracked or melted piston, broken rings or possibly some failure in the startup decompression system.

I'll do a leak down and compression test on in it the morning, have not got the proper fittings for the plug holes....Got damn it.
    Turned out to be nothing more than oil overfill, blew out through the breathers and hydro locked the crankcase vent passages.

Just started getting it ready for summer.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Does anyone else ever have those moments when they feel like riding a motorcycle isn't worth it? I had a couple of those moments today inside of a minute.

First thing that happened some lady needed to be in my lane so she cut me off no turn signal was used I just laughed and was like whatever.

Less than a minute later I pull up to a 4 way stop. Wait my turn and go as I'm almost through the turn some guy does a rolling stop and has to brake he then looks at me and puts his hands up. I then flip the guy off.

I'm mad at myself on how I reacted to this situation I've almost been hit by careless drivers numerous times this is the only time I've reacted. By me flipping the guy of I give riders all a bad name even if I'm only reacting.

Riding a motorcycle is fun, but everyone is on their phone or not paying attention. I don't speed or do stupid stuff when I'm on public roads by the way. I were a helmet and wear reflective clothing. I look like a total nerd when I'm riding.

Quote Originally Posted by mtr1979 View Post
    Does anyone else ever have those moments when they feel like riding a motorcycle isn't worth it? I had a couple of those moments today inside of a minute.

First thing that happened some lady needed to be in my lane so she cut me off no turn signal was used I just laughed and was like whatever.

Less than a minute later I pull up to a 4 way stop. Wait my turn and go as I'm almost through the turn some guy does a rolling stop and has to brake he then looks at me and puts his hands up. I then flip the guy off.

I'm mad at myself on how I reacted to this situation I've almost been hit by careless drivers numerous times this is the only time I've reacted. By me flipping the guy of I give riders all a bad name even if I'm only reacting.

Riding a motorcycle is fun, but everyone is on their phone or not paying attention. I don't speed or do stupid stuff when I'm on public roads by the way. I were a helmet and wear reflective clothing. I look like a total nerd when I'm riding.
    Are you in the city?

No I live in the country about 15 minutes from a metro area of 100k people. Even in the country on county roads and state highways people drive like maniacs. No one goes the speed limit drunk driving is rampant. The road I live on the ditches are littered with beers cans .I'm always picking up beer cans from the ditch by my house.

@PAF

If you start a new build, keep us updated.

And what is a "Hard Bike"?

I made an edumacated guesstimation he was talking about a hardtail.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I made an edumacated guesstimation he was talking about a hardtail.
    Maybe, but I never heard anybody call a hard tail a "Hard Bike".

And he said they were no longer made, but that's certainly not the case for a hardtail frame.

We shall see.

And he said they were no longer made, but that's certainly not the case for a hardtail frame.
    But it certainly is the case for the whole machine.

They'll sell you all the pieces, but you have to assemble them yourself for liability reasons. I think all BDSM gear works that way, doesn't it?

Bicyclists are calling them boneshakers, now that they're also becoming spoiled by suspension systems.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-11-2024 at 08:13 AM.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @PAF

If you start a new build, keep us updated.

And what is a "Hard Bike"?
    Will do.

A little history: Hard Bikes was made a few years back in Wheatland, PA. All of the bikes were ground-up hand-built much like PaulJrDesigns. Starting price was around $20 G's up to around $65+ G's depending on what the buyer wanted. They were built rock-solid, huuuuge @ss motor, very low center of gravity. Knievel Cycles (10-15 miles up the road from the Hard Bikes company) couldn't compete with Hard Bikes, so they bought out the Hard Bikes company, less the crew. Knievel Cycles, though they tried, couldn't build them the way that the Hard Bikes crew built them, sales dramatically declined, so they eventually folded up shop.

A good friend of mine had a Hard Bikes that was 1 year old at the time (he paid $35,000 for it new). He wanted a road bike and needed to sell the Hard Bikes, so I offered him $20 G's. He accepted, so I went to the bank, took out a loan and had check in hand. I went to the bike night at Quaker Steak & Lube where we always went, but he never showed. So, the few of us went to another biker bar that we frequent for the best wings on the planet. He never showed up there either, so we figured he just bagged some chick somewhere and blew us off. The next morning I get a call that he was life-flighted to Pittsburgh, turns out he dumped the GD bike. Anyway, the bike was totaled, he got the insurance money, and bought a new Harley Road King, sound system and all (what a f&cking dumb@ss, he should have bought a Injin). So, I never did get that Hard Bike.

Anyway, the following pic is NOT a Hard Bikes, but it's the closest thing that I could find that looks very similar to what my buddy had. The Hard Bikes had a SLIM WHEEL UP FRONT, NOT the huge front wheel pictured here. But it DID have that BIG @SS wheel in the back

As long as the ads are up, here are a couple of Hard Bikes that I don't care for:

https://www.smartcycleguide.com/moto...le?k=Hard+Bike

2006 Hard Bikes Pro-Street PS330

@acptulsa
    Last edited by PAF; 05-11-2024 at 10:11 PM.

Will do.

A little history: Hard Bikes was made a few years back in Wheatland, PA. All of the bikes were ground-up hand-built much like PaulJrDesigns. Starting price was around $20 G's up to around $65+ G's depending on what the buyer wanted. They were built rock-solid, huuuuge @ss motor, very low center of gravity. Knievel Cycles (10-15 miles up the road from the Hard Bikes company) couldn't compete with Hard Bikes, so they bought out the Hard Bikes company, less the crew. Knievel Cycles, though they tried, couldn't build them the way that the Hard Bikes crew built them, sales dramatically declined, so they eventually folded up shop.

A good friend of mine had a Hard Bikes that was 1 year old at the time (he paid $35,000 for it new). He wanted a road bike and needed to sell the Hard Bikes, so I offered him $20 G's. He accepted, so I went to the bank, took out a loan and had check in hand. I went to the bike night at Quaker Steak & Lube where we always went, but he never showed. So, the few of us went to another biker bar that we frequent for the best wings on the planet. He never showed up there either, so we figured he just bagged some chick somewhere and blew us off. The next morning I get a call that he was life-flighted to Pittsburgh, turns out he dumped the GD bike. Anyway, the bike was totaled, he got the insurance money, and bought a new Harley Road King, sound system and all (what a f&cking dumb@ss, he should have bought a Injin). So, I never did get that Hard Bike.

Anyway, the following pic is NOT a Hard Bikes, but it's the closest thing that I could find that looks very similar to what my buddy had. The Hard Bikes had a SLIM WHEEL UP FRONT, NOT the huge front wheel pictured here. But it DID have that BIG @SS wheel in the back

As long as the ads are up, here are a couple of Hard Bikes that I don't care for:

https://www.smartcycleguide.com/moto...le?k=Hard+Bike

2006 Hard Bikes Pro-Street PS330

@acptulsa
    @PAF

Ah, gotcha, that 's what I figured.

I'm running out of time, so I'll come back to this again, but just to say I'm not a fan of that Orange Co. chopper look.

You like the "old school" look at all?

Why not try a build of one of them?

That's kind of where my tastes lead.

But who am I kidding, it's all good...this is like arguing that Marilyn Monroe had ugly toes or something.

@PAF

Ah, gotcha, that 's what I figured.

I'm running out of time, so I'll come back to this again, but just to say I'm not a fan of that Orange Co. chopper look.

You like the "old school" look at all?

Why not try a build of one of them?

That's kind of where my tastes lead.

But who am I kidding, it's all good...this is like arguing that Marilyn Monroe had ugly toes or something.

First off, I appreciate the offer in the other thread! Same offer extends to you if you're ever in my parts. June is too close for me atm, I'm still without a bike and rentals are all booked up. Hopefully things will work out in time for EC Sturgis.

Yeah, I def like old school, but I have to admit my tastes lean toward the OC look. Plus, wayyyyyy more power, which is yet another reason why I don't Harley's, and the fact that HD's center of gravity is crazy off.

So, what to get... The Hard-Bikes are Hard-to-Find at a price point that I'd be happy with, and while they are awesome for chicken-wing hopping, they are definitely not a road bike. Indian, well, there's nothing better for the open road, but not practical for bar hopping. So I've been thinking, rather than shell out big money for either or, I can just continue to rent whatever I want/need and avoid ownership maintenance and upkeep, insurance, etc. Building is just as much if not more fun than riding, so maybe I'll go that route and it will give me something to do.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516