Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CA - White woman calls cops on black family BBQing in a "prohibited area"

Exclamation CA - White woman calls cops on black family BBQing in a "prohibited area"

How to parse this?

Government and cops have drilled it into everybody's heads: see something say something. Report everything. Do not take things into your own hands, call 911.

Anybody here reading this knows this is a disaster in the making - do not call cops, and a local politician points that out: that calling cops can get somebody killed.

Too many rules, too many cops, too many busybody Mrs. Kravitz types, too willing to use those rules to call those cops on you.

And again, that important message gets lost in the never ending racial angle.

Family wants to create awareness after BBQ confrontation at Lake Merritt

http://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/f...itt/1170499558

By:Haaziq Madyun

Updated: May 09, 2018 06:24 PM PDT

OAKLAND (KRON) - A family's weekend barbecue outing at a popular East Bay spot had the potential of turning seriously ugly.

Police were called in because of a dispute about where people can set up their charcoal grills.

"This is exactly what is the problem with Oakland today. This lady wants to sit here and call the police on them for having a barbeque at the lake as if this is not normal," said Michelle Snider.

Snider used her cellphone to record the woman you see on the video who called Oakland police because she said "it is illegal to have a charcoal grill in the park here."

The incident happened a couple of weeks ago at Lake Merritt in Oakland.

Snider's husband Kenzie Smith says he and a friend were setting up for a weekend cookout like they have done for decades with their families when he says they were approached by the woman in the video.

"She said that we were trespassing, we were not welcome, and then she turned back around and said, 'ya'll going to jail,'" said Smith.

"I think we need to question the policies that made this woman think woman feel she had the right to harass people," said Snider.

According to an official Oakland Park and Rec map of Lake Merritt, there are six designated barbecue locations, three stationary charcoal locations, and three non-charcoal portable grill locations.

Smith and Snider were charcoal grilling in a non-charcoal grilling location.

"I have seen people barbecue with charcoal for years," said Smith.

It's against the rules, but is it a crime?

"I think it is really incumbent on all of us that when we call police, it is for emergency purposes," said Oakland City Councilmember Lynette Gibson McElhaney.

McElhaney suggests other options instead of calling the police in this situation.

"I want to encourage people to know when to call the police, when to raise a question of regulations with the city council, maybe there is a passive way to reach out to us," McElhaney added.

Oakland mayoral candidate Cat Brooks looks at the situation from a different angle.

"When you engage law enforcement in these kinds of things you are opening the door for things to go very wrong, the potential for arrests like in Philadelphia with those two black men or worse physical assault or death and I don't believe in this day and age that white folks don't know that," said Brooks.

However, this case did not get out of hand.

Oakland police did arrive and both parties claimed they were being harassed.

Officers took a police report.

No citations were given and no arrests were made.

Smith was allowed to continue his weekend family barbecue by the lake like he says since he was a child.

"Honestly I want some kind of awareness. We need to be able to talk about this in an open forum," said Smith.

And if that happens, it could be the beginning of building a better community.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-14-2018 at 11:40 AM. Reason: grammar
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In before the Stormfront troops claim this was all justified as a way to crackdown on skittles.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

LOL. Enviro-nazi gets accused of racism, enviro rules go out the window.

Generally in California, there are restrictions on burning anything. The media pushes this all of the time. Fireplaces and charcoal BBQs are included.

See something, say something:

In addition to sending inspectors into the field on winter Spare the Air days, the air district is relying on neighbors and others to report wood-burning activities on unhealthful air days.
    It's also a bit ironic for the media to make this a race issue when the rules are on the book. Why didn't they investigate why that rule exists? Oh yeah, then they have to confront their own environmental edicts.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

LOL. Enviro-nazi gets accused of racism, enviro rules go out the window.

Generally in California, there are restrictions on burning anything. The media pushes this all of the time. Fireplaces and charcoal BBQs are included.

See something, say something:

In addition to sending inspectors into the field on winter Spare the Air days, the air district is relying on neighbors and others to report wood-burning activities on unhealthful air days.
    It's also a bit ironic for the media to make this a race issue when the rules are on the book. Why didn't they investigate why that rule exists? Oh yeah, then they have to confront their own environmental edicts.
    That would be epic if it could be confirmed that the woman in question is, in fact, a green creep and was doing exactly what the state preaches she should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That would be epic if it could be confirmed that the woman in question is, in fact, a green creep and was doing exactly what the state preaches she should do.
    Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if she was somehow involved in the creation of the code involved.

[edit] I'll add that the environmental aspect is not the only reason these rules are created. Overcrowding becomes a problem. Neighbors will call for rules to prevent the crowds.

Before such rules, parks would get so full, people would actually setup BBQs and tables on 4 foot wide grass medians.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 05-14-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    In before the Stormfront troops claim this was all justified as a way to crackdown on skittles.
    its pretty easy to justify when they were actually breaking the law. I wouldn't have bothered, but they were in the wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    its pretty easy to justify when they were actually breaking the law. I wouldn't have bothered, but they were in the wrong.
    I guess I was wrong when I thought this was an anti-statist movement. There's a law on the books by golly and officer friendly needs to enforce it!

We've come a long way......in the wrong direction.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Illegal to bbq in a park ? What are the parks for ?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Parking.

Pipe down prole, and enjoy yer freedom.

[edit] I'll add that the environmental aspect is not the only reason these rules are created. Overcrowding becomes a problem. Neighbors will call for rules to prevent the crowds.
    And that's the bottom line, too many got-damn people, each one with a chip on their shoulder and stick up their ass about some $#@!ing grievance or complaint or bitch to pitch.

I guess I was wrong when I thought this was an anti-statist movement. There's a law on the books by golly and officer friendly needs to enforce it!

We've come a long way......in the wrong direction.
    Basic law of nature:

More people, more crowded = more rules, more state.

If you watch the video at the link, it is more of a wide grass strip between the lake and street. There are other parts that are larger, but those larger areas and "approved picnic areas" probably require reservations and a fee.

They were wrong charcoal and not propane.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 02-05-2019 at 12:26 PM.

You can get off your soapbox. I said I wouldn't have bothered to call the cops, but at the same time I'm not gonna go crazy on some broad for doing what she has been trained to do and is actually the law.
    So how do you suggest she be "untrained?" Serious question.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    She could have called the non-emergency line or the code enforcer whatever department. But maybe time was of the essence?
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

"I think it is really incumbent on all of us that when we call police, it is for emergency purposes," said Oakland City Councilmember Lynette Gibson McElhaney.
    A rule was broken. If that's not an emergency, then I don't know what is.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    She could have called the non-emergency line or the code enforcer whatever department. But maybe time was of the essence?
    Of course. Have you checked out the carbon footprint for charcoal?

Time absolutely was of the essence. They were in process of setting up the BBQ when she called. There was still time to stop it from happening, but had to act fast.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Maybe when she gets swatted?

Honest question...FFS, I try, but, outside of our tiny little band of merry refuseniks, nobody gives a $#@!.

Dunno if she can be, she probably agrees with the law. It would be a fundamental difference of opinion.

But, if I'm breaking the law. I'm not gonna be surprised if somebody calls em on me, in fact I fully expect it. I've broken many laws, many times and everytime I have weighed the pros/cons if it is worth the risk/hassle.

I've broken many laws, many times
    Like what? Be specific.
    - Kim Kardashian

I'd bet $100 she didn't call 911. They always say in the article "they called the police" or "they called 911" or something and it always becomes an issue that they called an emergency line, then it always turns out they called the non-emergency police line.
    Last edited by dannno; 05-14-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The point is that once again, this story has NOTHING to do with "white people" calling the police on "black people" and everything to do with somebody calling the cops on someone else for breaking the rules or the law. We can talk about the second half of that sentence, but you want to keep roping the first half in.

This lady would have called the cops on a white family bbqing there too because it was against the law, but it wouldn't have made national headlines.. Just because a white person calls the cops on a black person for breaking the law doesn't make them racist.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    The point is that once again, this story has NOTHING to do with "white people" calling the police on "black people" and everything to do with somebody calling the cops on someone else for breaking the rules or the law. We can talk about the second half of that sentence, but you want to keep roping the first half in.

This lady would have called the cops on a white family bbqing there too because it was against the law, but it wouldn't have made national headlines.. Just because a white person calls the cops on a black person for breaking the law doesn't make them racist.
    Even when the person the police have been called on haven't broken any rules or laws, as in the case of the Yale student who was taking a nap in the common area of the dorm she lived at, some folks here feel the need to defend calling the cops. Why is that?

I watch most of the 20 minute video and have to commend the family on their patience. Her calling the police and telling the family about the parks rules seem OK to me, but she should have left them alone after that. Threats of trespass and jail were way out of line. Most folks acting like that get their ass kicked.

Side note: Had to chuckle at the Mayor candidate says people should not call the police because of all the bad things that could happen.

Even when the person the police have been called on haven't broken any rules or laws, as in the case of the Yale student who was taking a nap in the common area of the dorm she lived at, some folks here feel the need to defend calling the cops. Why is that?
    Actually I posted the rules of the dorm, did you fail to read that post? Common areas are for (SPECIFIC PURPOSES LISTED) - sleeping is not on the list. Specifically, guests who stay at the dorm cannot sleep in the common area. They may leave some room for people studying who fall asleep while studying accidentally, but sleeping is not listed as an activity that takes place in the common areas and they said that common areas can only be used for specific purposes. The girl claims she was writing a paper. Great, then she should have woken up and went back to her room. Students are always writing papers. You can't just sleep in the common areas all the time. That is definitely against the rules.

So you are wrong about that, sleeping in the common area is not necessarily allowed. But hey, let's drag some more debates that you were wrong about into this thread. For example, if a white person THINKS something is against the rules, and they try to enforce those rules against a black person, it couldn't be because they didn't know the rules well or they thought those were the rules, it must be because they are racist according to you.. A white person being wrong about the rules = racism. How the $#@! does your brain come up with that bull$#@!? The point is, that chick would have called the cops if a shady white lady was sleeping in the common area too. What does this have to do with race??
    Last edited by dannno; 05-14-2018 at 01:32 PM.

Lately every few days there is a news headline in google news about "White person calling cops on a black person for XYZ reason".

This can happen naturally but the sustained frequency of such news is bit puzzling.

Are these staged/fakenews?

Or are these real news due to changed racially charged atmosphere in America/media following Trump's coming to White House?

Likely-unrelated

Ivanka Trump and Kushner 'blessed' by top Israeli rabbi who compared black people to 'monkeys'

Just going to add that just because its a govt regulation doesn't mean that there isn't a valid reason behind it. In my private apt building, it is against the rules to BBQ on the balcony because it is made of wood. Very valid and reasonable rule implemented to prevent apt fires.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast