Thread: WA - Seattle lifts bike helmet law due to racism

Exclamation WA - Seattle lifts bike helmet law due to racism

Well, I'll be dipped.

Didn't think there was one, but there it is: a trump card to "Safety uber alles".

With a Commitment to Equity: Board of Health Updates King County’s Bike Helmet Policy

https://publichealthinsider.com/2022...helmet-policy/

Public Health Insider

Bike helmets save lives and help prevent serious injuries. A review of several published studies estimates that bike helmets provide a 63-88% reduction in the risk of head and brain injuries for people who ride bikes. As part of the movement to encourage the use of bike helmets, the King County Board of Health passed a law in 1993 requiring anyone riding a bike to wear a helmet.

However, data presented to the Board of Health has shown racist and discriminatory enforcement. Seattle Police Department data collected and analyzed by Seattle Neighborhood Greenways and the Helmet Law Working Group shows that police disproportionately gave helmet law citations to Black, Indigenous, and People of Color cyclists.

Their analysis found that Black riders were nearly four times as likely to be cited by police for not wearing a helmet while biking compared to White riders. Further, in Seattle, nearly half of the citations issued for biking without a helmet were given to people living homeless.

In light of this data, and in alignment with the Board of Health’s declaration of Racism as a Public Health crisis, on February 17, 2022, the Board of Health repealed the King County bike helmet law while affirming the importance of helmets in preventing serious injury and death. In a companion resolution passed in the same meeting, the Board of Health emphasized the importance of helmet use for bikes, scooters and other similar vehicles and committed to work with community partners to expand access to low and no-cost helmets, provide education on helmet safety, and support the improvements for safer bike infrastructure.

To help support more equitable access to helmets, the King County Council allocated $221,000 in the supplemental budget passed in November 2021 to support Public Health’s work distributing free helmets to those who may have trouble accessing them and promoting bike safety.

“As a cyclist, I know the many health, social and environmental benefits of biking. As a former ER doctor who has treated people with preventable head injuries, I also know the importance of wearing a bike helmet. And as Health Officer, I appreciate that community partners have highlighted the negative impacts of discriminatory enforcement of the helmet law. The bottom line is that Public Health continues to strongly recommend and encourage helmet use, especially by children.”
    Dr. Jeff Duchin, Health Officer for Public Health – Seattle & King County

During testimony to the Board of Health in June 2021, a Real Change newspaper vendor who lives homeless reported having been stopped by police twice for not wearing a helmet while biking: “I don’t think it has to do with protection or anything else, it’s just total harassment. …I don’t see that this is really fair to the entire population. I don’t see why some can ride without helmets and others get stopped and harassed.”

“There is no question that bike helmets are a vital part of protecting the public’s health. I’m particularly grateful to King County Council for dedicating funds to support our work to expand bike helmet usage and bike safety,” “When we declared racism a public health crisis, we committed to working closely with BIPOC communities to promote public policies and practices that ensure better health and safety for all without doing harm to Black and Brown people. The recent action from the Board of Health removes a policy that has resulted in racist enforcement, while re-emphasizing the importance of wearing a bike helmet coupled with County resources to make bike safety more accessible for all.”
    Dennis Worsham, Interim Director for Public Health – Seattle & King County

Free bike helmet resources

Wearing a properly fitted helmet while riding a bike is vital to protecting against potential head injuries. Public Health and the Board of Health strongly encourage everyone to wear a helmet while riding a bike. Many programs and organizations in King County provide free or reduced-cost bike helmets, and King County Council has allocated additional funds to support expanded access to low and no-cost bike helmets.

Check out our list of where to find free and low-cost helmets in King County. Learn more about proper bike helmet fit and other bike safety resources on our bicycle safety webpage.

Originally published February 17, 2022.

Share this:

Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)More

Study shows all-ages helmet law improves safety without deterring riders
    November 21, 2016

In "Data and research"
    Ride Away Your Stress, Safely and Affordably!
    August 12, 2020

In "Healthy Communities"
    Child Death Review: Prevention through collaboration

Since 2003, not a single child in King County has died from a helmet-preventable bicycle injury. What helped lead to this victory? King County’s Child Death Review – a collaborative effort to identify opportunities and interventions that prevent children from dying. As the 'doctor' for the community, we are responsible…
    March 21, 2016
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They will probably just create a new law that says only white people need to wear bike helmets, because that isn't racist. They will also be required to wear them at all times.

Last edited by dannno; 02-21-2022 at 11:43 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Tomorrow's headline: "Racist pavement assaults unprotected BIPOC children"
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

King County
    nuff said
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

They should probably stop prosecuting violent crimes because it leads to a disproportionate number of black people getting arrested
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    They will probably just create a new law that says only white people need to wear bike helmets, because that isn't racist. They will also be required to wear them at all times.

A quota system would also work. Every time a black person gets fined for wearing a helmet, a white person must also be fined at the same time
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

I said a long time ago that I would never visit that loser city ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Good.

Seat belts are racist as well.

Not to mention open container laws.

This is a silver lining.

There are not likely to be very many more.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Good.

Seat belts are racist as well.

Not to mention open container laws.

This is a silver lining.

There are not likely to be very many more.
    Drug laws are extremely racist.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

They used to be sure - its why they were created. But are they still?
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    They used to be sure - its why they were created. But are they still?
    Speaking of, I'd like to know where they get the marijuana use is the same between blacks and whites yet blacks are arrested more often. I understand the crime in the bad neighborhoods draws the police but I don't think the usage rates are the same. Here are some facts and we know 70% of black children are raised in a single parent environment.

Children who live in a fatherless home are 279% more likely to deal drugs or carry firearms for offensive purposes compared to children who live with their fathers.

75% of children in chemical dependency hospitals are from single-parent families.

When compared to children in intact married homes, children raised by single parents are more likely to have emotional and behavioral problems; be physically abused; smoke, drink, and use drugs; be aggressive; engage in violent, delinquent, and criminal behavior; have poor school performance; be expelled from school; and drop out of high school.

What law will Seattle get rid of next?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

They should probably stop prosecuting violent crimes because it leads to a disproportionate number of black people getting arrested
    A quota system would also work. Every time a black person gets fined for wearing a helmet, a white person must also be fined at the same time
    I like this idea.

It should be applied to felony crimes as well.

Every time a colored person is arrested for murder, a random white person must be arrested for murder as well.

You are a Great American©
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    ...Their analysis found that Black riders were nearly four times as likely to be cited by police for not wearing a helmet while biking compared to White riders. Further, in Seattle, nearly half of the citations issued for biking without a helmet were given to people living homeless....
    But how would you know it is "disproportionate"? You would first have to know what proportion of bicyclists without helmets were black and/or homeless.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by tebowlives View Post
    Speaking of, I'd like to know where they get the marijuana use is the same between blacks and whites yet blacks are arrested more often. I understand the crime in the bad neighborhoods draws the police but I don't think the usage rates are the same. Here are some facts and we know 70% of black children are raised in a single parent environment.

Children who live in a fatherless home are 279% more likely to deal drugs or carry firearms for offensive purposes compared to children who live with their fathers.

75% of children in chemical dependency hospitals are from single-parent families.

When compared to children in intact married homes, children raised by single parents are more likely to have emotional and behavioral problems; be physically abused; smoke, drink, and use drugs; be aggressive; engage in violent, delinquent, and criminal behavior; have poor school performance; be expelled from school; and drop out of high school.
    Because smoking herb these days is like social drinking.. I went to a white suburban high school and a largely white suburban University, pretty much everybody smoked herb.. but a lot of people who smoke herb do not use hard drugs. Tupac and Dave Chappelle taught us that.

Because smoking herb these days is like social drinking.. I went to a white suburban high school and a largely white suburban University, pretty much everybody smoked herb.. but a lot of people who smoke herb do not use hard drugs. Tupac and Dave Chappelle taught us that.
    I don't think there are solid studies on this. I believe it's surveys.
    Cali 2009 rates per 1000
    Age Arrests of population
    <18 14585 321.4
    18-20 16041 870.1
    21-24 11529 518.4
    25-29 7468 285.1
    30-39 6136 117.7
    40-49 3590 62.7
    50-59 1523 30.9
    60+ 292 9.2

About half are under 21. So wouldn't it stand to reason the ones "breaking the law" whether it be drinking or smoking happens more so with children raised in a single parent environment?

Like social drinking, social smoking at younger ages isn't handled well by those that do it compared to those older.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I belonged to ABATE in 2 different states,, and all we had to do was scream racism.. Who knew?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I don't think there are solid studies on this.
    Observations.
    There are a half dozen Cannabis outlets in town,, I have a favorite,, and the customers I observe are a wide selection.

From young working folk to old graybeards,, a few professional looking folk,, no kids.

There was a sign on the door under the STATE NOTICE that read,
    If you are not wearing a mask, we will assume you have an exemption
    and no questions asked.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I belonged to ABATE in 2 different states,, and all we had to do was scream racism.. Who knew?
    Me too...who would've thunk it?

Were you a member before they went weak?

When it was still called "A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments"?

I still got one their patches around somewhere...

Me too...who would've thunk it?

Were you a member before they went weak?

When it was still called "A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments"?

I still got one their patches around somewhere...
    Missouri and Florida,,

ended Helmet Laws in Florida.

edit,
    I never knew is was changed,, that old
    Last edited by pcosmar; 02-21-2022 at 08:01 PM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

edit,
    I never knew is was changed,, that old
    They also managed to beat back the NHTSA from banning choppers and bobbers.

ABATE (American Bikers Aimed Toward Education) is a motorcycle rights organization that brings attention to issues affecting riders. Members have pushed for the repeal of helmet laws and are involved in safety training and charity work.

The group started in 1971 when Easyriders, a motorcycle magazine, started publishing for adult bikers. Lou Kimzey was the editor. At the same time, the National Custom Cycle Safety Institute was established, and Easyriders staff members were part of the group for distributors and manufacturers. They wanted to devise safety standards for custom parts, mostly front ends and frames with raked necks.

ABATE Founded
    The magazine began a bikers' organization called the National Custom Cycle Association, later changed to A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments (ABATE). By 1972, Keith Ball had become an associate editor and director of ABATE. The organization deployed coordinators to several states so bikers could organize locally.

Through Ball's work and Kimzey's guidance, ABATE located area coordinators in several states to help organize bikers so that they could better represent ABATE. The group worked to ensure safe parts; without their efforts, there may not have been choppers on the road.

In March 1977, ABATE, through the help of EASYRIDERS staff, held a state coordinators meeting in Daytona, Florida. ABATE decided as a lobbying organization to discourage back patches on cut-offs, so as not to be considered a "club" by outlaw groups, police, or citizens. ABATE also decided to get organized. Nominations were held and five state coordinators were elected as a steering committee to take ideas from members and chapters and turn the results into a charter and bylaws.

Fuzzy Davy, from ABATE of Virginia, was elected spokesman of the steering committee, which also included Donna Oaks from ABATE of Kansas, Russell Davis (Padre) from ABATE of Pennsylvania, Wanda Hummell from ABATE of Indiana, and John Herlihy (Rogue) from ABATE of Connecticut. A meeting was set for Labor Day at the second national ABATE get-together in Lake Perry, Kansas. This gave the steering committee seven months to get organized.

Organizing Leads to Disagreement
    Kimzey couldn't make the Kansas meeting because of a sudden illness but sent Ball, Joe Teresi, union organizer Pat Coughlin, and Ron Roliff, business agent of the Modified Motorcycle Association (MMA), in his place. At this meeting, a proposal for a new national organization including a five-member board of directors was presented by people from Easyriders.

Discord arose when people learned that no state coordinators or ABATE people would be on the board, which instead would comprise people from California led by Roliff. This intimidated a lot of ABATE people. Also, none of the ABATE steering committee recommendations were considered.

After a lot of infighting, state coordinators were asked to submit to Kimzey their ideas for change. Kimzey apologizing for missing the Kansas meeting and announced that he was scheduling a meeting in Sacramento, California, in October 1977. He paid the steering committee members' airfares and put them up in a hotel, then attempted to explain how things had gotten out of hand. ABATE people who weren't invited to this meeting provoked attacks against Kimzey and Easyriders. Kimsey told people attending the meeting that he and Easyriders were relinquishing the organization to the people attending the Sacramento meeting.

Two Groups Formed
    From this, two national organizations were formed: one in Sacramento, the other in Washington, D.C. The latter was formed by all state ABATE organizations. In March 1978, ABATE chapters held another meeting in Daytona. The Sacramento people sent Coughlin with a proposal that was rejected by the ABATE organizations attending. The ABATE chapters were told that the Sacramento group wouldn't change its name (National ABATE) and would conduct business as usual.

It was decided that the Washington group should be dissolved and that the states should get back to doing what they were formed to do: fight state anti-motorcycle legislation.

ABATE Today
    ABATE formed five regions in the country, each with about 10 states. Each region has a coordinator who manages information between independent state ABATE organizations. Because of the infighting involved in trying to form a national organization and the funds required, another attempt to create a national group is unlikely. In the meantime, ABATE members all over the country are taking care of business as always.

I don't think there are solid studies on this. I believe it's surveys.
    Cali 2009 rates per 1000
    Age Arrests of population
    <18 14585 321.4
    18-20 16041 870.1
    21-24 11529 518.4
    25-29 7468 285.1
    30-39 6136 117.7
    40-49 3590 62.7
    50-59 1523 30.9
    60+ 292 9.2

About half are under 21. So wouldn't it stand to reason the ones "breaking the law" whether it be drinking or smoking happens more so with children raised in a single parent environment?

Like social drinking, social smoking at younger ages isn't handled well by those that do it compared to those older.
    It happens because kids party. They drive around to lots of parties on the weekend carrying their herb, or could be out committing other crimes on the street.

Maybe it was because I went to the best party school in the country, but I think that only accounted for the frequency.. everybody always started on wednesday night with a group of 4-12 or so maybe. Then Thursday was going out to other parties or going down to the clubs. Friday and Saturday was full blown Neighbors (Seth Rogen and Zac Efron), every couple houses or so for 8 blocks.

Since there was no driving involved, anybody could walk the entire town, the only people I knew of who got arrested for herb was one guy who was growing it, and another friend who was pissing behind a car, police saw him and searched him and got him on that. Otherwise they didn't care, half my friends sold herb, everybody took it everywhere. I imagine there probably is a pretty big discrepancy by race, but I don't know the full cause of that. Police are probably worried they might have harder drugs and just find herb, there was not a lot of hard drug use at the party school I went to.

All the other colleges were similar with the party atmoshphere, just not with the same frequency and gusto. When I went home, the kids who stayed at community college partied with the kids who just stayed home and got a job or whatever.

Older people who smoke herb don't take as many risks that would get them caught. They will have a bong in their bedroom or smoke a joint once in a while. They aren't carrying their herb everywhere to their friends houses all the time and getting into mischief.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-21-2022 at 08:46 PM.

They also managed to beat back the NHTSA from banning choppers and bobbers.
    Also joined NORML back in the 70s..
    Slow coming but the effect is seen.

Never Give Up,, Never Surrender
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

This could also be seen as a criticism of women as parents.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I said a long time ago that I would never visit that loser city ever again.
    The day I can say that will probably be one of the greatest in my life. Unfortunately I'm stuck in this state for the time being due to employment. I actually had to go to Seattle today.

That being said and although for the wrong reasons, they accidentally did something right. Like others have said, get rid of racist gun laws, racist tax laws, racist wage laws, etc...

Observations.
    There are a half dozen Cannabis outlets in town,, I have a favorite,, and the customers I observe are a wide selection.

From young working folk to old graybeards,, a few professional looking folk,, no kids.

There was a sign on the door under the STATE NOTICE that read,

and no questions asked.
    Because selling to kids is illegal, right?

It happens because kids party. They drive around to lots of parties on the weekend carrying their herb, or could be out committing other crimes on the street.

Maybe it was because I went to the best party school in the country, but I think that only accounted for the frequency.. everybody always started on wednesday night with a group of 4-12 or so maybe. Then Thursday was going out to other parties or going down to the clubs. Friday and Saturday was full blown Neighbors (Seth Rogen and Zac Efron), every couple houses or so for 8 blocks.

Since there was no driving involved, anybody could walk the entire town, the only people I knew of who got arrested for herb was one guy who was growing it, and another friend who was pissing behind a car, police saw him and searched him and got him on that. Otherwise they didn't care, half my friends sold herb, everybody took it everywhere. I imagine there probably is a pretty big discrepancy by race, but I don't know the full cause of that. Police are probably worried they might have harder drugs and just find herb, there was not a lot of hard drug use at the party school I went to.

All the other colleges were similar with the party atmoshphere, just not with the same frequency and gusto. When I went home, the kids who stayed at community college partied with the kids who just stayed home and got a job or whatever.

Older people who smoke herb don't take as many risks that would get them caught. They will have a bong in their bedroom or smoke a joint once in a while. They aren't carrying their herb everywhere to their friends houses all the time and getting into mischief.
    We know younger people are not as discretionary like adults but what does this have to do with what I posted as far as race?

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    This could also be seen as a criticism of women as parents.
    I don't think so. It's about single parenthood.

Because selling to kids is illegal, right?
    21+
    Though in years past,,I sometime purchased from folks younger than myself..

I remember being gifted a nice Colombian Joint,, by a 10 yr old. but that was 70s
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom