Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul filibusters Patriot Act renewal and yields floor after 10.5 hours - Official thread

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    I don't think he can speak past midnight, according to the article.
    It would be epic if he was dragged off the senate floor for refusing to stop.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why not do it anyway? What's that worst that can happen -- get arrested and tossed in the Guantanamo Bay gulag?

LOL I would love to see the Sgts at Arms dragging him out of the chamber live on TV. That would make some news....

Didn't Ron Wyden say he would also filibuster? When is he planning to jump in?
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    So the Senate is meeting to vote on something at midnight?
    I don't know what happens at midnight, this is all the Politico article says:

The Senate is currently working through the 30 hours of debate on a trade bill and is scheduled to vote one hour after the chamber convenes on Thursday — meaning Paul’s time to speak runs out at about midnight tonight.

Just don't read Green Eggs and Ham. SPeak about the issue, don't just fill time. Hopefully others will join. As long as he gets headlines, its a win. If he gets dragged off by the Sgt of Arms, that would be EPIC.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I don't know what happens at midnight, this is all the Politico article says:
    The presiding officer of the Senate may not use the power to recognize senators to control the flow of business. If no senator holds the floor, any senator seeking recognition has a right to be recognized, and then, usually, to speak for as long as he or she wishes (but only twice a day on the same question). Once recognized, a senator can move to call up any measure or offer any amendment or motion that is in order. Senate rules do not permit a majority to end debate and vote on a pending question.
    Generally, no debatable question can come to a vote if senators still wish to speak. Senators who oppose a pending bill or other matter may speak against it at indefinite length, or delay action by offering numerous amendments and motions. A filibuster involves using such tactics in the hope of convincing the Senate to alter a measure or withdraw it from consideration. The only bills that cannot be filibustered are those few considered under provisions of law that limit time for debating them.
    The only procedure Senate rules provide for overcoming filibusters is cloture, which cannot be voted until two days after it is proposed in a petition signed by 16 senators. Cloture requires the support of three-fifths of senators (normally 60), except on proposals to change the rules, when cloture requires two-thirds of senators voting. If the Senate invokes cloture on a bill, amendment, or other matter, its further consideration is limited to 30 additional hours, including time consumed by votes and quorum calls, during which each senator may speak for no more than one hour.
    http://www.senate.gov/legislative/co..._process.htm#3
    "I am a bird"

Rand can speak until the Senate convenes a new legislative day, which could be as early as midnight (given the current rule on the floor) or a new day would automatically convene at noon Thursday.

edit: he could speak for up to one hour *after* a new legislative day convenes as that is when the Senate will vote on a bill
    Last edited by tsai3904; 05-20-2015 at 12:59 PM.

The only bills that cannot be filibustered are those few considered under provisions of law that limit time for debating them.
    Those few being every relevant one from now on, most likely.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

nice little truth bomb about the weakness of Republican fidelity to liberty

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 04:37 PM.

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Why disable comments on youtube for this one?
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

here is the moment Rand took the floor and the first few minutes of him speaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reo6YKU3lI4

Quote Originally Posted by Barrex View Post
    Why disable comments on youtube for this one?
    All videos on the new channel are like that. His other channel that he has had since joining the senate allows comments.

Loved his comment about some of his colleagues saying you don't get a judge or trial by drone...

Shots fired

MSNBC is talking about the filibuster now and showing Rand on the floor.

edit: over now

Is Rand the only senator there?

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by mello View Post
    Is Rand the only senator there?
    Reid, Boxer, Toomey were there, and some others.

Most of the threads on /r/News get removed on politics, but there IS a thread catching traction on the /r/Politics subreddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/co...g_patriot_act/

Mostly being received well. Pop in and add to the conversation and better yet, upvote for visibility!

Completely awesome! We've got the link up at Ben Swann's site too! http://truthinmedia.com/rand-paul-la...t-act-renewal/
    America deserves better presidential debates in 2024, and we're making it happen ourselves at Free and Equal Elections Foundation!

https://freeandequal.org/

Been away from forums the last few weeks (checked in quick every now and then), excited to see Rand getting a chance to speak out against this. StandwithRand is currently tending on twitter btw

Massie just got a shout-out from Rand... about an amendment that Massie/Lofgren sponsored, that passed with a big majority, and then it was secretly stripped out.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 04:38 PM.

OK, now the Politico article has been updated to say Rand could speak through the night until 1 pm tomorrow.

If Paul were to talk through the night, Senate procedure would cut him off at about 1 p.m. tomorrow.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...ct-118141.html

Another reference to Massie about another bill he co-sponsored.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm not sure he could make it 24 hours. If he's still there in the morning, it will be front page everywhere.

[–]jcoinster [score hidden] 56 minutes ago
    Looks like someone needs to update: http://israndpaulstilltalking.com/[1]
    permalinksavereportgive goldREPLY
    Pls tell me one of you runs that site

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast