Thread: Democracy

Question Democracy

The United States of America is a Republic not a Democracy my question is majority rule mob rule bad because the majority can take away the rights of the minority or a minority though voting after all Democracy elected Hitler to power also Benjamin Franklin said is this correct or right ?

John Petrie’s Collection of
    Benjamin Franklin Quotes

Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

http://jpetrie.myweb.uga.edu/poor_richard.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Democracy is the tyranny of the majority. The United States would be freer as a republic than as a democracy obviously.

In democracies, people elect politicians that promise to steal from the minority and give to the majority. Pretty much what we have now.

A republic is still a form of democracy, which is why they always head down the same path...

Quote Originally Posted by BenFranklin
    Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Edit
    Remember, democracy a republic never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy republic yet that did not commit suicide and turn into a democracy.
    Last edited by ClayTrainor; 05-13-2011 at 02:46 AM.
    "One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

Republics suck as bad as a democracies because they can be corrupted. We have a national debt of $14.5 trillion and growing. What does that tell you?
    "..and on Earth anguish of nations, not knowing the way out...while men become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited Earth." -- Jesus of Nazareth

Quote Originally Posted by ClayTrainor View Post
    A republic is still a form of democracy, which is why they always head down the same path...
    Quote Originally Posted by YumYum
    Republics suck as bad as a democracies because they can be corrupted. We have a national debt of $14.5 trillion and growing. What does that tell you?
    Not really. If we had a real republic we could pit politicians against one another and enjoy our freedoms while they struggle amongst themselves. It would look something like this:

As James Madison said, "Ambition must be made to counteract ambition."

We're at this point because we turned into a democracy—not because our republic failed [I mean, the republican system itself is not flawed]. We failed to defend it, in that we did not educate our children of the difference between the two, or that we thought we would prefer democracy over a republic, ignoring the warnings of our nation's founders.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 05-13-2011 at 05:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Ron Paul: A Republic, Not a Democracy
    http://www.free-press.biz/usa/A-republic.htm

Ron Paul: A Republic, If You Can Keep It
    http://www.ronpaulforcongress.com/html/republic.html

Ron Paul: Democracy is not Freedom
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul233.html

_______

Walter Williams

Like the founders of our nation, I find democracy and majority rule a contemptible form of government.

Democracy Versus Liberty

Walter Williams | The New American
    23 February 2011

____

The American Form of Government: Constitutional Republic

The New American: A Republic, if You Can Keep It
    http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews...u-can-keep-itq
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by aid632007 View Post
    ... my question is majority rule mob rule bad because ...
    There is a lot more of the lowest common denominator than there is of the best and brightest.

Also, as a practical matter, there is only so much time in a day for every single citizen to be well versed in every political issue and make well informed decisions.