Thread: Background and Credit Check Site

Background and Credit Check Site

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good background/credit check site? I need to run over 10 of these per month, and most sites seem to want to charge between $25 and $35 a piece.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No one has any suggestions?
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

You are giving loans or renting apt.'s ?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    You are giving loans or renting apt.'s ?
    Renting houses and apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasLastHope View Post
    Renting houses and apartments.
    Yeah 25 bucks seems high , I would think there would be a better way . I will ask around .

Just so you know, I did read your post, but did not respond as I have nothing useful to contribute. I also dont have a clue where to get bulk background checks done that dont cost you an arm and a leg.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Just so you know, I did read your post, but did not respond as I have nothing useful to contribute. I also dont have a clue where to get bulk background checks done that dont cost you an arm and a leg.
    Thanks for the response anyway. I had a subscription to a cheap one a while back, but it was a horrible service. It just seems like there's got to be a middle-of-the-road one out there where I don't have to pay a premium every single time.

Looks like Buildium is 45 a month and a free 15 day trial . Tenant background search looks to be 20.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Looks like Buildium is 45 a month and a free 15 day trial . Tenant background search looks to be 20.
    Awesome! I will check it out. Thank you!

EDIT: Actually I think I've looked into this before. I'm trying to avoid a subscription model property management software platform, but will eventually migrate to one of it's the right fit. For the moment, I just need to be able to consistently run like a combination credit/background check for between $10 to maybe $17 a search. I don't want to have to subscribe to a platform for a monthly fee and still have to pay $20 a pop.
    Last edited by AmericasLastHope; 12-07-2017 at 09:32 PM.

No one else knows or has any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasLastHope View Post
    No one else knows or has any ideas?
    Talk to the people and phuck a bunch of background checks.

I have poor experience with background checks.

http://pcosmar.blogspot.com/2009/08/...und-check.html
    Last edited by pcosmar; 01-04-2018 at 03:36 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Talk to the people and phuck a bunch of background checks.

I have poor experience with background checks.

http://pcosmar.blogspot.com/2009/08/...und-check.html
    One of the best renters I ever had told me straight up what I'd find on her background/credit check so not to bother; either rent to her or not. I did and never regretted it. She was honest enough about some blemishes, so I gave her a chance. Glad I did.
    There's something to be said about talking to people, getting to know them and not going big brother.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    One of the best renters I ever had told me straight up what I'd find on her background/credit check so not to bother; either rent to her or not. I did and never regretted it. She was honest enough about some blemishes, so I gave her a chance. Glad I did.
    There's something to be said about talking to people, getting to know them and not going big brother.
    Unfortunately that’s an incredibly rare trait. Many people with prior criminal issues and financial problems will not be honest about their situations. The OP has a business to run and it likely can break him if he lets the wrong people in. Not saying people with criminal or financial problems are automatically bad or not worthy, but the inherent risks assumed by a property owner can be managed by having a full and accurate picture of the applicant’s history.

I don’t think it’s fair for people who are not in the OP’s shoes to try and suggest he would be better off just trusting the words of people he has no way of knowing how honest they are.

OP- no idea how to answer the question you posed- but I am interested if you have found a suitable option. Purely from a business standpoint if the cost of screening applicants is rising, the prices you charge should also be rising to compensate. Just curious how are you currently covering the cost of screening? Is there an application fee?
    Last edited by asurfaholic; 01-04-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post

I don’t think it’s fair for people who are not in the OP’s shoes to try and suggest he would be better off just trusting the words of people he has no way of knowing how honest they are.
    and yet you would suggest he accept the word of government agencies, of profit oriented corporations that do business with gobernment.
    because,,, trustworthy?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

My sister used my ID to get busted for drugs. Although I did not do it my name is still out there in this background check stuff saying I am a convicted felon. the court record has been corrected but if someone buys the right background check my name comes up as a convicted felon. I found out about it from the federal government when I went with my husband to get his green card. So even the feds will use these sites instead of checking court records. So in my opinion these back ground check sites could be very inaccurate and could cause people to make the wrong decision about an individual. I hired a lawyer to try and get my name cleaned up but they said it would be impossible to guarantee that my name would not show up as a convicted felon somewhere.

Just remember that a lie can travel half way around the world before the truth gets up to put it's shoes on.

Most places that have needed a background check for me have charged me a fee for it as part of the application process, and told me that the cost will be deducted from my rent/etc if I pass and I'll simply be out the $35 if I fail. I think that's pretty fair.
    Last edited by TheCount; 01-05-2018 at 06:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unfortunately that’s an incredibly rare trait. Many people with prior criminal issues and financial problems will not be honest about their situations. The OP has a business to run and it likely can break him if he lets the wrong people in. Not saying people with criminal or financial problems are automatically bad or not worthy, but the inherent risks assumed by a property owner can be managed by having a full and accurate picture of the applicant’s history.

OP- no idea how to answer the question you posed- but I am interested if you have found a suitable option. Purely from a business standpoint if the cost of screening applicants is rising, the prices you charge should also be rising to compensate. Just curious how are you currently covering the cost of screening? Is there an application fee?
    Right. I didn't NEED to do a background check bc I got the same information from the honest person. I still had to assess the financial risks after receiving that information regardless of the source. I am not recommending to take the word of anyone off the street; I know there are liars and cheats in this world. But in this instance, with all the information I had and after meeting and speaking with the person, I accepted the risk and benefited. (I did double the security deposit for the first 12 months and refunded half after the first year, FYI).

The service I used cost $35 at the time and was a criminal background and credit check. Tenant pays and gets credit for it on first month rent bill.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    and yet you would suggest he accept the word of government agencies, of profit oriented corporations that do business with gobernment.
    because,,, trustworthy?
    That’s a fair point, but people lie. I’m not so sure credit histories are determined by the government, and criminal histories are Public record.Their criminal and credit history is more likely to be correct than they are likely to be honest if they think they won’t be fact checked.

I’m not really talking about whether the charges or criminal violations are compatible with a free society here. Obviously the OP could look at the history and draw his own conclusions.
    No - No - No - No

That’s a fair point, but people lie. I’m not so sure credit histories are determined by the government, and criminal histories are Public record.Their criminal and credit history is more likely to be correct than they are likely to be honest if they think they won’t be fact checked.

I’m not really talking about whether the charges or criminal violations are compatible with a free society here. Obviously the OP could look at the history and draw his own conclusions.
    And, quite honestly,, what benefit are they?

And I use myself as an example..
    Checks can be quite WRONG.. I have been described as Armed and Dangerous when in fact I was disarmed and kind.
    I had NO determinable credit (criminal history,and time away) and yet I legally purchased a home in prime real estate market.

Background and credit checks would be a fail,, both times..
    and as such,,being unemployed and homeless,, I have a GOOD credit rating.. but am still disarmed.

They tell you very little and is a false sense of security..
    Especially when the ex-cop with a generous pension blows the place up in a drunken rage..

or someones credit history are as false as the name they gave you.

And a background check or credit check will not tell you the guy is going to have a nervous breakdown next week.

It tells you very little and is often false or misleading.

If you are renting,, then rent it.
    Simple agreement.

Their whole life really is NONE of your business.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

You're absolutely right, and thank you for your post. Before I owned this business I just rented out property myself and used judgment more along the lines of what others in this thread have suggested. However, the reality is, not only have tenants lied and said nothing will come up, when it has, but I also have clients wanting me to provide them with a certified professional background report to prove that I actually did the work rather than just "talked" with them. I'm well aware that there are many methods for discerning whether someone is fit to rent the property or not. I've given many a chance who have gone above and beyond, and given others a chance who have utterly failed me. Live and learn. That said, I'm simply wanting a comprehensive, inexpensive, point-and-click solution to provide my clients with...why is that so hard to understand?

In Connecticut there is a government website https://www.jud.ct.gov/

You can put in the persons name and check them under housing or criminal. I had to evict a tenant a few years ago. I keep checking them and they have been evicted from every apartment since. I consider their behavior criminal.

I don't know if your state has such a site but most of what you are looking for would be public record.

I would not rent to someone that just moved in from out of state. Hard enough getting your money from a stable person.

Housing is a sad state of affairs because of government regulations. Two parties agree and sign a contract but when the tenant doesn't honor the contract the landlord has to go thru the lengthy eviction process costing them more time and money.