Thread: Women and Children First

Women and Children First

Ever wonder where that bit of seagoing chivalry came from?

It was from the wreck of the HMS Birkenhead in 1845.

It came from the heroic stoicism of the British troops onboard the vessel, when it became clear that there were only enough lifeboats for the women and children onboard, and that to abandon ship would result in the few boats that got away being swamped by desperate men swimming for and swamping them, they were ordered to stand at attention on the sinking ship until she went down.

The act came to be called "The Birkenhead Drill" and was used to address any situation where you are called to act, even though your actions, while saving others, may or will end your life.

Rudyard Kipling mentioned it in his poem "Soldier and Sailor too".

To take your chance in the thick of a rush, with firing all about,
    Is nothing so bad when you've cover to 'and, an' leave an' likin' to shout;
    But to stand an' be still to the Birken'ead drill is a damn tough bullet to chew,
    An' they done it, the Jollies—'Er Majesty's Jollies—soldier an' sailor too!
    Their work was done when it 'adn't begun; they was younger nor me an' you;
    Their choice it was plain between drownin' in 'eaps an' bein' mopped by the screw,
    So they stood an' was still to the Birken'ead drill, soldier an' sailor too!

What has this got to do with US Politics?

Plenty...it will take the will and stoicism and guts to stand for a Birkenhead Drill, to save our nation, our families and our society.

“It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    What has this got to do with US Politics?

Plenty...it will take the will and stoicism and guts to stand for a Birkenhead Drill, to save our nation, our families and our society.
    Good video (and topic/theme) - but I'm gonna move it to the History forum, anyway.

Just about everything in the History forum (and all the other forums, too, for that matter) could probably be construed as relevant to US Politics in some way or another.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Good video (and topic/theme) - but I'm gonna move it to the History forum, anyway.

Just about everything in the History forum (and all the other forums, too, for that matter) could probably be construed as relevant to US Politics in some way or another.
    Well, at least somebody enjoyed it.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

I would say this thread is a good place for this...

https://twitter.com/DrLoupis/status/1655232414073905155

... except the children have been abused enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I wasn't expecting it, but hoping this was a discussion of the album.

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

Apparently, that is "fake news" (h/t @cjm) - which is why the source thread was deleted (at AF's request).

But if what @DJcalligraphy says is true, it prompts the observation that the "liberal couple" in question have to make up things that are actually believable, even if they are false. (After all, would anyone really be shocked or stunned if Chelsea Clinton actually did endorse such a thing?) So in an important way, these conservative-baiters are unwittingly outsmarting themselves, since their trolls have to be truthful despite not being factual. (This lack of self-awareness is one of the reasons "the left can't meme".)

https://twitter.com/DJcalligraphy/st...38704200552449
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 05-10-2023 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    I wasn't expecting it, but hoping this was a discussion of the album.
    Same here. The best song on the album:

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

Apparently, that is "fake news" (h/t @cjm) - which is why the source thread was deleted (at AF's request).

But if what @DJcalligraphy says is true, it prompts the observation that the "liberal couple" in question have to make up things that are actually believable, even if they are false. (After all, would anyone really be shocked or stunned if Chelsea Clinton actually did endorse such a thing?) [...]
    No. No, they would not.

https://twitter.com/TheChiefNerd/sta...91203439902721

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.