Thread: “Hate Speech” -- The Opening Wedge To Destroy Free Speech

“Hate Speech” -- The Opening Wedge To Destroy Free Speech

“Hate Speech” -- The Opening Wedge To Destroy Free Speech

Opinions are not crimes. They are thoughts. Once government attempts to turn opinions into crimes, it opens the door for any thought that they don’t like to become a crime. The best way to counter distasteful opinions is with free speech, so that the truth can shine a light on them. Opinions can change. Opinions are always changing. But allow the idea of “hate speech” and government can make it a crime anytime you open your mouth in opposition to them.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's absolutely no reason to turn opinions into crimes unless the opinions being stated are the actual truth.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

The actual term "hate speech", originated in the 80s (and please correct me if my memory is mangled). I remember when the first "hate speech" laws made the news. My reaction was as it is today: this is an utter and rank absurdity that should have been stamped out by SCOTUS from the get-go. Well, it should never have arisen in the first place, of course, but American politics being what it is, anyone with an IQ would be able to comfortably predict such nonsense as inevitable.

I've gone about about the dangerous stupidity the term itself represents for at least 30 years. "Cancer" comes to mind, and here we all these decades later in some sorry shape that shows no end any time before the sun goes nova.

We get what we tolerate.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.