Thread: Massie to reintroduce bill to repeal Gun-Free Schools Act

Massie to reintroduce bill to repeal Gun-Free Schools Act

https://twitter.com/emilybrooksnews/...24707461599232
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 03-29-2023 at 08:11 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Republicans sometimes suggest far-fetched ideas to get reporters off their backs. Most of these ideas are not good, such as arming teachers [...]
    There's nothing wrong with that idea.
    #SassyWithMassie

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/...35137173094404
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 03-29-2023 at 08:12 PM.

Man that Bowman guy's performance is as bad as AOC's a few weeks back.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

This will be entertaining.... let's see if it gets a vote!
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I never thought I could like a Congressman as much as I liked Ron Paul.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I never thought I could like a Congressman as much as I liked Ron Paul.
    I obviously like Ron, but Thomas is better because he is a lot more effective at what he does.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I obviously like Ron, but Thomas is better because he is a lot more effective at what he does.
    One paved the way for the other. It's like Moses getting Israel TO the promised land but Joshua getting them IN the promised land.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Does the Gun Free Schools act even apply to private school teachers?

Edit: I'll answer m own question.

https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/Digiti...40617NCJRS.pdf

Cliff notes for anyone that clicks the link and says TLDR.

1. The law does apply to public, parochial and private schools.
    2. The law does NOT apply if you have a contract with the school that allows you to carry a gun. (Armed guard for instance).
    3. The law does NOT apply if you are participating in an approved school program. (Skeet shooting team for instance).
    4. The law does NOT apply on private property within the school zone. A school zone includes anything with 1,000 feet of a school. So a private house could be within a school zone. If you have a gun on the property of the house, as long as you're cool with the owner, you're fine. Walk out on the sidewalk? Problem. Technically you have to unload your gun or have it in a locked case.

Applying that to this situation, a private school could put in their teacher contracts that they are allowed to bring guns to school. It would be smart to put some sort of training program in place. That said, I agree with Massie on repealing the law. What a lot of people don't know is that "school zone" (at least in Tennessee), includes Susie's After School Care that she runs out of her home, meaning you can be in a school zone, lose your gun rights, and not even know it.

Here's my reference.
    '(a)- SHORT TITLE.~This- section may be 'cited as the I/Gun·Free
    School Zones Act of 1990".
    (b) PROHIBITIONS AGAINST POSSESSION OR DISCHARGE OF A FIREARM
    IN A SCHOOL ZONE.-

(1) IN GENERAL.-Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to the possession of a· firearm-

(i) on private property not part of school grounds; /I(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law oft:he State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtain such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) which is11(1) not loaded; and

(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack

which is on a motor vehicle:

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school 1n the school zone:

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity: or

"(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school
    premises is authorized by school authorities.

"(2)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), it shall be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for' the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm at a place that the person knows is a school zone,

II(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply o the discharge of a firearm

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) as part of a program approved by a school in the school zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;

{iii) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in a school zone and the individual or an
    employer of the individual; or

(iv) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity. ,

(3) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as preempting or preventing a State or local government from enacting a statute establishing gun-free school zones as provided in this subsection.".
    Last edited by jmdrake; 03-30-2023 at 10:30 AM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Thumbs up Massie Files Bill to Repeal Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act

https://massie.house.gov/news/docume...umentID=395535

Congressman Massie Introduces Bill to Repeal Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act

Washington, D.C.- Today Representative Thomas Massie (R-KY) re-introduced the "Safe Students Act." The "Safe Students Act" (H.R. 2502) repeals the "Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990," (GFSZA) eliminating GFSZA's one-size-fits-all federal ban on guns in school zones. Enactment of the "Safe Students Act" would make it easier for state and local governments and school boards to unambiguously set their own firearms policies.

“Gun-free zones are ineffective and make our schools less safe. Since 1950, 94 percent of mass public shootings have occurred in places where citizens are banned from having guns,” Rep. Thomas Massie said. “Banks, churches, sports stadiums, and many of my colleagues in Congress are protected with firearms. Yet children inside the classroom are too frequently left vulnerable.”

“The only thing gun-free zones do is disarm law-abiding citizens and take away their ability to protect themselves and others. We shouldn’t leave our most vulnerable – our children – in an unsafe environment like gun-free zones where acts of violence cannot be stopped,” Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-SC) said.

“So-called ‘gun free’ school zones have left our children utterly defenseless,” said Dudley Brown, President of the National Association for Gun Rights. “Instead of ‘protecting’ our kids with a tin sign, let’s defend them with something that makes a difference: a good guy with a gun. We’re proud to support the Safe Students Act and we’re lobbying everyone in Congress to join as a co-sponsor. It’s time to protect America’s most precious resource: our kids.”

"GOA staunchly advocates for the repeal of the Gun-Free School Zones Act, which disarms parents and staff, and more importantly, leaves schools significantly less protected as soft targets for those looking to commit violence," said Aidan Johnston, Director of Federal Affairs, Gun Owners of America. "The federal government has no business dictating where law-abiding citizens carry arms in public, and prohibiting firearms in schools has certainly not yielded the outcome then Senator Biden and the 101st Congress thought it would.”

“We all agree that protecting our children is a priority,” said Dianna Muller, Founder of the DC Project, Women for Gun Rights. “The DC Project fully supports the Safe Students Act and applauds Congressman Massie and his colleagues for their leadership to ensure parents and teachers can lawfully carry and protect our kids.”

“More than three decades of evidence since the passage of the 'Gun-Free School Zones Act' shows us that those who wish to do harm to others specifically target schools because they know everyone there is a sitting duck. These 'gun free zones' don't work, they empower criminals and endanger students, teachers, and staff," said Patrick Parsons of The American Firearms Association.

This bill, originally introduced by Representative Ron Paul (R-TX) in 2007, repeals GFSZA, a law that makes it “unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.” In 1995, the Supreme Court held the GFSZA unconstitutional, which prompted Congress to amend the bill in 1996. The Supreme Court has not ruled on the constitutionality of the amended Act.

Original cosponsors of the "Safe Students Act" include: Representatives Andy Biggs (R-AZ), Lauren Boebert (R-CO), Josh Brecheen (R-OK), Eric Burlison (R-MO), Andrew Clyde (R-GA), Warren Davidson (R-OH), Jeff Duncan (R-SC), Matt Gaetz (R-FL), Bob Good (R-VA), Paul Gosar (R-AZ), Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA), Harriet Hageman (R-WY), Doug LaMalfa (R-CA), Anna Paulina Luna (R-FL), Tom McClintock (R-CA), Mary Miller (R-IL), Alex Mooney (R-WV), Barry Moore (R-AL), Scott Perry (R-PA), Guy Reschenthaler (R-PA), Matt Rosendale (R-MT), and Chip Roy (R-TX).

Rep. Massie and Rep. Boebert co-chair the Congressional Second Amendment Caucus in the 118th Congress.

The text of H.R. 2502 is available at this link.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 04-07-2023 at 02:21 AM. Reason: removed formatting for readability

Congressman Massie Introduces Bill to Repeal Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act

Today Representative Thomas Massie (R-KY) re-introduced the "Safe Students Act." The "Safe Students Act" (H.R. 2502) repeals the "Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990," (GFSZA) eliminating GFSZA's one-size-fits-all federal ban on guns in school zones. Enactment of the "Safe Students Act" would make it easier for state and local governments and school boards to unambiguously set their own firearms policies.

“Gun-free zones are ineffective and make our schools less safe. Since 1950, 94 percent of mass public shootings have occurred in places where citizens are banned from having guns,” Rep. Thomas Massie said. “Banks, churches, sports stadiums, and many of my colleagues in Congress are protected with firearms. Yet children inside the classroom are too frequently left vulnerable.”
    https://massie.house.gov/news/docume...umentID=395535
    "The Patriarch"

Typical of his ilk... shout at top of lungs, bloviating, appealing to emotion, and outright lying about "the data". That stupid $#@! would not know proper data if it bit him on his gigantic, ignorant ass.

"more guns equals more death... states that have open-carry have more death."

Liar.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Does the Gun Free Schools act even apply to private school teachers?

Edit: I'll answer m own question...
    Of interest to me is this bit:

"(2)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), it shall be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for' the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm at a place that the person knows is a school zone,
    Some may consider the following a crazy hypothetical, but I assert that nutty things happen more often than many might think.

You're walking down the sidewalk, minding your own business. Lo and behold, there's Freehold Township High School! Just as you notice, a crazy person of NJ breeding pulls a gun on you, sticks it in your face and convinces you that you're not long for this world. You trap the weapon as you evade the muzzle line, but your technique goes a little wonky, and so rather than immediately disarming Mr. DouchePunk, you end up struggling with him. During the dance it becomes clear to you that if he regains control of the weapon, you are going to be killed in short order. Having at least the sense God gave a boiled turnip, you manage to turn DouchePunk's hand with the gun in it, and you force his finger rearward, discharging the weapon into his head in between the arms of his mandible. DouchePunk drops immediately dead, you release the weapon, kick it twenty feet from the corpse just to play it super safe, and wait <GASP> for the cops to arrive.

Being an honest sort, you tell the story of what happened with no evasions, bull$#@!, or embellishment. Are you going to jail? According to the most stern reading of the above cited passage, the answer is an unequivocal yes. You caused the discharge of a firearm in a school zone. I don't see anything in the cited law that exempts those who turn a criminal's weapon on the criminal and use it to save life and limb.

Would anyone here trust to the good and rational discretion of the local prosecutor, especially those in black states?

I surely would not.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Typical of his ilk... shout at top of lungs, bloviating, appealing to emotion, and outright lying about "the data". That stupid $#@! would not know proper data if it bit him on his gigantic, ignorant ass.

"more guns equals more death... states that have open-carry have more death."

Liar.
    They just know if the school shootings stop, they will never get to ban guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    They just know if the school shootings stop, they will never get to ban guns.
    Yes, but then there is the wild-masturbating aspect that they would miss, were the shootings to cease.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They were always empowered to defend the children. But instead of acting on their innate authority to do so, they got on bended knee in kowtow to the false authority of the federal "government".

So I say fie upon the lot of those miserable curs for not having refused the non-Law statutes that violated their sovereign rights as parents and other parties responsible for the welfare of children from sea to shining sea. The parents who, knowing there were no resources for the defense of students in the event the worst were to occur sent their issue to those dens of perdition. To hell with the lot of every single one of them. When they claim to love their children, one thing you can say for certain is that they don't love them enough to take real responsibility for the safety of their own, much less those of their neighbors. I feel no compassion for them at all. Quite the contrary, I despise them, all the more when one of their children is murdered and they then have the nerve to shed tears after the fact. Where the hell were they the day before? Jerking off to their meaningless adult existences while their child wanders into the cross-hairs of a maniac's weapon. The only one there to be pitied is the poor, dear child. The adults throw up their hands and say "you can't fight city hall". LIARS! Filthy liars, all. They are too lazy and cowardly to do the right things, and for that I'd shed not a single tear were the millions of them to die in house fires tonight. Talk is cheap, and it is the only thing that such people do.

Humans.

I would not want many 2023 teachers to be carrying guns at their school.
    Better solution is to homeschool.