Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ID - Cop shoots dog confined in man's van

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "$#@! you and $#@! your dog. Now, move along, before you get some of the same." - Officer Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From the owner's Facebook page, at least the Coure d'Alene police department has offered to pay for a replacement window on his truck -- how nice of them .

They should bill him for the cost of the bullet while they are at it ...

I also read that he was visiting from out of town, he had come back home to bury his mom.

https://www.facebook.com/craig.jones.5895834
    Last edited by SeanTX; 07-11-2014 at 02:08 PM.

The good thing is, at least nobody got hurt
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    The good thing is, at least nobody got hurt
    I'm sure you are being sarcastic (I hope) but yes, no humans were hurt, except for the hurt feelings of a man who had come home to bury his mom. And then had to bury his dog.

I just wonder where the bullet/bullet fragments went -- real safe shooting for no good reason in a public parking lot (well, officer safety was ensured, and what else matters).

Death threats come in after Coeur d'Alene Police Officer shoots dog

http://www.khq.com/story/25992320/de...cer-shoots-dog

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -

Coeur d'Alene Police Chief Ron Clark told KHQ his department as received roughly 15 death threats, some targeted towards the entire department, others at certain officers, after one of his officers shot and killed a dog on Wednesday.

"All in all it's just a tragic situation and just understand we will do everything that we need to do to make sure it's properly investigated," Clark said on Thursday.

Police were called to the corner of Sherman and North 8th street for a suspicious van. The van was believed to be linked to a man known to lure children.

An officer approached the van, gun in hand, and was startled when he said a dog lunged at him. The officer shot and killed a dog originally identified as a pit bull, but the dog was later identified as a black lab mix named "Arfee."

The dog's owner, Craig Jones, was eating at a restaurant just down the street when it all happened and said on his Facebook page Thursday morning, "I'd like to thank my Facebook family for your support and love. Today is definitely harder than yesterday."

Chief Clark said everyone is upset over the circumstances and that it's a difficult situation for everyone involved.

The government organs' spin machine:

tl;dr - Investigated and justified by the cops.

Despite outcry, most police officer dog shootings justified

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Despite-out...266811811.html

BOISE – Another dog shot, this time in Northern Idaho. So far this year, KTVB has counted five dogs shot by Idaho police officers.

This latest shooting has the Coeur D'Alene Police Department receiving threatening calls and emails.

Like other shootings this year, this past shooting in Coeur d’Alene received a lot of public outcry.

There are a lot of questions surrounding this latest shooting but very few answers.

Wednesday morning Coeur d’Alene Police officers responded to a suspicious van linked to a child enticement investigation.

"As the officers were walking up to the window, the dog lunged and the officer acted immediately to protect himself," said Coeur d'Alene Chief of Police Ron Clark.

The officer protected himself by firing his gun, hitting and killing the dog that was poking out of a partially opened window.

What's come out in this investigation is the officer that killed the dog had his gun drawn while walking next to the van.

"There's no set protocol,” said Clark. “The idea is anytime you use your firearm, it's only to be used during a time that your life or self is under great bodily harm or threat thereof. So that's the individual's decision."

As word of the shooting spreads, death threats are pouring into the Coeur D'Alene Police Department. The department is taking the threats seriously but has only filed one police report.

It was a similar situation earlier this year in Filer when an officer shot dog.

In early July the dog's owner filed a lawsuit against city, the police department and the officer who pulled the trigger.

There were also people calling for the officer to resign or be fired. A group even started a petition to recall the Mayor.

Then on July 4th in Nampa, another dog shot and eventually put down. That was the second shooting there in four months. The first came on February 27.

In all but one of the shootings the dog’s owner and witnesses cry foul, saying the shootings were not justified.

But so far, of the dog shootings this year, all of the completed investigations found that the officer’s actions were justified.

The latest two shootings, in Coeur d’Alene and Nampa, the respective departments will head up the investigations to see if the shootings were justified.

Law enforcement agencies want to bring awareness to this issue, but so far haven’t received a lot of interest.

The Ada County Sheriff's Office tried to hold a voluntary class for officers, called Canine Encounters, but canceled it because only nine officers signed up for the July 10 meeting.

The sheriff’s office has since rescheduled the class for October with the hope more people will sign up.

Yeah, it's justified because the cop is too stupid to back away from the partly open window and avoid the dog.

"The Ada County Sheriff's Office tried to hold a voluntary class for officers, called Canine Encounters, but canceled it because only nine officers signed up for the July 10 meeting. "

I think this shows how interested law enforcement officers are in "professional development."

Why learn to deal non-lethally with a "canine encounter", when you can just shoot the damn thing with no consequences? I'm sure most officers laugh at even the idea of such training.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Yeah, it's justified because the cop is too stupid to back away from the partly open window and avoid the dog.
    I don't think it's a matter of being "too stupid" , I think the cop was just pissed off at being startled by the dog, and just shot it as a "$#@! you".

I've had it happen before, walking through parking lots or wherever, you walk past a vehicle that has a dog in it and it barks and startles you . Annoying, but you laugh about it and move on.

Or, if you are a cop you get pissed off and shoot the damn mutt. Why not, it's not like anyone is going to say you can't?

A while back there was a case reported here where a guy was arrested for "barking" at a police K-9 that was in a patrol SUV. Maybe he was startled by the dog while he was just walking past -- would they have been okay with him shooting it? Probably not.
    Last edited by SeanTX; 07-11-2014 at 05:03 PM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think most cops are good people.

The problem is that TOO MANY COPS are bags of $#@! like the $#@!tard who shot this dog.

Thank you for posting this - we need to stay aware of this $#@!.
    "There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs." Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    If a mundane had done this, it would be cause to question his mind and or intelligence. With cops, we know they already just scrape the bottom of the figurative barrel to hire thugs...so lack of intelligence and/or maturity is a given. Sad state of affairs, but that what we get when Boobus outnumbers the rest of us...and can vote for the anti-drug warriors, crime warriors, and various other mobsters. :P
    I note the and/or part of your comment, but I believe cops are generally smarter than the average person. Unfortunately, this quality only makes for a more efficacious and dangerous sadist.

Quote Originally Posted by buenijo View Post
    , but I believe cops are generally smarter than the average person
    You believe that..?

you are,, of course,, welcome to your beliefs.

I believe that is highly insulting to "average" persons.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I note the and/or part of your comment, but I believe cops are generally smarter than the average person. Unfortunately, this quality only makes for a more efficacious and dangerous sadist.
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn...be-a-good-cop/

The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.
    technically you are correct...

I think most cops are good people.
    You might want to rethink that. From their own mouths....

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    You believe that..?

you are,, of course,, welcome to your beliefs.

I believe that is highly insulting to "average" persons.
    It's based on my experiences. I've known many cops. Note, however, that intelligence is often confused with other qualities. For example, certain social skills are often perceived as expressing high intelligence. I often emphasize that social sophistication is not the same as intelligence. Many cops may be unsophisticated socially, and may not be philosophically aware, but highly intelligent nonetheless.

Phill4paul, don't hate the player hate the game. There are perverse incentives in place that reinforce bad behavior. It's not an excuse, just a reason. The main problem is the laws themselves. Too damn many stupid laws give law enforcement powers they should not have. Of course, a significant number of people seek out law enforcement careers as a means to exercise their sadistic tendencies. I'm convinced most cops are not like this. The only solution is to get rid of the laws that give them undue authorities and special privileges. The sadistic personalities will be less interested in becoming cops, and the decent cops will have less incentive to compromise their principles.

The belief that armed authoritarian figures running helter skelter throughout society is necessary for a peaceful existence is flawed from the onset....

The belief that said authoritarian figures are "good" is completely delusional....

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    The belief that armed authoritarian figures running helter skelter throughout society is necessary for a peaceful existence is flawed from the onset....

The belief that said authoritarian figures are "good" is completely delusional....
    this^^

"The S.S. were good folks, misunderstood. Had to follow orders, ya know..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Report on N. Idaho police shooting of dog almost done

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local...shot/14120571/

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho (AP) - Northern Idaho officials say a report about the fatal shooting of a dog inside a van by a Coeur d'Alene police officer is nearly complete.

Interim Police Chief Ron Clark tells The Spokesman-Review in a story on Friday that the report is about 300 pages and will be reviewed by three internal police officials and an outside police official.

He says a final evaluation will be done by an independent use-of-force expert.

Police on July 9 put out a statement that an officer responding to a report of a suspicious van had shot and killed a "vicious pit bull" that lunged for an officer's face.

The dog turned out to be a 2-year-old black Labrador mix named Arfee.

Authorities say the unnamed officer didn't turn on his body camera.

I think we all know what that report will conclude -- at least some tax ticks got some sweet overtime pay doing the "investigation" (they probably sat around in some office laughing about it while they typed up the 300 page "report").

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Phill4paul, don't hate the player hate the game. There are perverse incentives in place that reinforce bad behavior. It's not an excuse, just a reason. The main problem is the laws themselves. Too damn many stupid laws give law enforcement powers they should not have. Of course, a significant number of people seek out law enforcement careers as a means to exercise their sadistic tendencies. I'm convinced most cops are not like this. The only solution is to get rid of the laws that give them undue authorities and special privileges. The sadistic personalities will be less interested in becoming cops, and the decent cops will have less incentive to compromise their principles.
    It's about revenue. Police do very little to actually stop crime as it's actually occurring. They do act as a deterrent though. That's about all they are good for.

Let's see what happens next.

Dog shooting by Coeur d'Alene police found unjustified

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local...fied/15141781/

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho – A review panel released its findings Friday after a Coeur d'Alene police officer shot and killed a dog in early July.

Officer David Kelley opened fire on the dog after it lunged out of a partially opened window. Kelley along with another officer were investigating a possible child enticement call at the time.

Investigators found Kelley approached the driver's side of the van and did not announce his presence in order to keep an element of surprise.

Unable to see in the van, due to heavy tint on the windows, Officer Kelley drew his handgun to deal with what he perceived as a possible threat, according to authorities. Positioned near the partially open driver's window, Officer Kelley was startled by the dog lunging from the same driver's window within inches of his face. Investigators report in reaction to the perceived threat of being bitten on the face, Officer Kelley fired a single shot "from the hip" through the window killing the dog.

The use of force was unreasonable and Officer Kelley's tactics were unreasonable, according to Robert Bragg, the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission's Program Manager of Fitness and Force Tactics training.

The Coeur d'Alene Police Department Deadly Force Review Board members agreed Officer Kelley feared for his safety and used deadly force to protect himself. However, the board unanimously found Officer Kelley's actions were in violation of the department policies.

Authorities said they could not discuss what punishment, if any, Officer Kelley would receive.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Let's see what happens next.

Dog shooting by Coeur d'Alene police found unjustified

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local...fied/15141781/

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho – A review panel released its findings Friday after a Coeur d'Alene police officer shot and killed a dog in early July.

Officer David Kelley opened fire on the dog after it lunged out of a partially opened window. Kelley along with another officer were investigating a possible child enticement call at the time.

Investigators found Kelley approached the driver's side of the van and did not announce his presence in order to keep an element of surprise.

Unable to see in the van, due to heavy tint on the windows, Officer Kelley drew his handgun to deal with what he perceived as a possible threat, according to authorities. Positioned near the partially open driver's window, Officer Kelley was startled by the dog lunging from the same driver's window within inches of his face. Investigators report in reaction to the perceived threat of being bitten on the face, Officer Kelley fired a single shot "from the hip" through the window killing the dog.

The use of force was unreasonable and Officer Kelley's tactics were unreasonable, according to Robert Bragg, the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission's Program Manager of Fitness and Force Tactics training.

The Coeur d'Alene Police Department Deadly Force Review Board members agreed Officer Kelley feared for his safety and used deadly force to protect himself. However, the board unanimously found Officer Kelley's actions were in violation of the department policies.

Authorities said they could not discuss what punishment, if any, Officer Kelley would receive.
    Now suppose a kid had stuck his head out the window and yelled, boo. There would be a dead kid and they still wouldn't be able to discuss what punishment, if any, Officer Kelly would receive.

An $80,000 settlement and the coward cop had his pay cut by $3 an hour. Not real justice, but about as close as it ever gets ...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/18...ntcmp=obinsite

Idaho city agrees to pay $80,000 after police officer kills dog inside parked van
    Published March 18, 2015
    Associated Press

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho – An Idaho city has agreed to pay $80,000 after one of the city's police officers shot and killed a dog inside a parked van.

The Coeur d'Alene City Council on Tuesday approved the settlement with the dog's owner, Craig Jones.

snip

An officer responding to a report of a suspicious van on July 9 shot through a partially opened window and killed the 2-year-old black Labrador mix named Arfee after police say the dog lunged.

snip

Jones' attorney, Adam Karp, says the settlement is the largest he's aware of in the Pacific Northwest involving the wrongful killing of a dog by police.

I wonder how much a jury would have awarded

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    I wonder how much a jury would have awarded
    I don't know -- civil juries tend to be more sympathetic to victims of the police, but not always -- maybe the owner figured this was the best deal he might get.

I hope he takes some of the money and uses it to sue the owners of Java on Sherman, they are the ones who set this in motion by making a false call to 911, and then they forced him to drive his van off their lot with his dog's blood soaking the driver's seat.

I'm not sure if he can sue the cafe owners for the false 911 call, but he should be able to get some damages for the way they treated him afterwards.

I could care less about any punishment they give to this trigger happy clown. What they should do is take away his badge and his gun. He's unstable and dangerous.

Levi Norris [belch, belch, belch] And yes, sometimes they may make a mistake even, but we don't have to run them to the ground for doing their job to the best of their abilities.
    Levi, he was not a pinch-hitter in a baseball game that struck out with bases loaded for the championship. He has to remain fully accountable for the split-decisions that he makes, which is the greater part of his serving and protecting that you so very much cherish.

By the by, it was a freaking dog secured inside of a vehicle there was no split-decisions to be made here. Regardless, sometimes a guy just has to take his licks or lumps, you know--which is part and parcel with his protecting and serving that you so very much cherish.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12