Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, there's this cop parked across the street waiting to find out whether to arrest us

So, there's this cop parked across the street waiting to find out whether to arrest us

My 7yo and her 6yo friend decided to take a walk to the shopping center through the woods in back of our house.
    A concerned citizen called it in and kept them from leaving.
    They got a ride home in a cruiser.

Now some $#@!ing kid in a uniform is waiting for the Commonwealth Attorney to call him back (apparently he was instructed to PAGE the on-call attorney. Who the $#@! pages anyone in 2014?)

Some older cop was here for a while consoling us with the fact that he may not wish to press charges.
    Both cops agreed that they were never in any danger but gave us significant grief about not knowing the code of Virginia on this matter - apparently at 9 kids are magically able to be out by themselves. Before that they can't be unsupervised, even for a second.

(We've been spending the last hour discussing all the things she can't do for another two years now... going to a different aisle in the grocery to pick something up? UNSUPERVISED. Going over a hillside at the park with a gaggle of other kids? UNSUPERVISED.)

They handed us cards produced by Department of Social Services showing the legal ages for being unsupervised. I pointed out to both cops that this code they think we should know back and forth isn't printed on those cards. I don't think either of them processed what I said.

The good news is that CPS isn't getting involved today. Though we are getting a phone call follow-up. And we're in their system now... both cops pointed out that since this was the first time they're talking to us it should blow over. But what I heard, of course, is that the second time it's not going to go away....

....so young cop just showed up and said the commonwealth attorney wanted to press felony child neglect charges.
    The cop called the magistrate and the magistrate said she wouldn't sign for that.
    So the cop is going to press for misdemeanor contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

We're actually being criminally charged because our daughters chose to go on a walk to a place they've been several times before.

RPF, I am looking for a new state to live in.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    SMDH. 3 felonies a day.

Wow.

my kids started driving motorized vehicles at the age of 3 and 6. At 6 my son was driving his 4 wheeler on our private rd mind you, but definetly out of my sight at times. So therefore unsupervised.

I would move...!!!

I would add that you should contact an lawyer as soon as you can if you are charged. It sucks, but such is the current state of affairs.

Oh man, that sucks and complete BS. You're in my prayers, my friend.

Yeah I just got my tax return, and just like that, its going to disappear.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I would add that you should contact an lawyer as soon as you can if you are charged. It sucks, but such is the current state of affairs.
    Yeah, and don't say anything else on the internet or to the cops. Anything you say to these tyrants will be misconstrued against you.
    Last edited by RJB; 04-27-2014 at 01:26 PM.

the nanny state sinks to a new low.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Power-mad, totalitarian, nanny-state Marxists and fascists never rest...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

....so young cop just showed up and said the commonwealth attorney wanted to press felony child neglect charges.
    Morally bankrupt attorney justifying his existence. Chasing ambulances is too hard. Working for the State is so much easier, and you can make as much work as you want.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

just crap. pure crap. Felony child neglect? Sounds to me like the kids are learning how to be independent. concerned citizen ought to be charged with kidnapping.

Go press charges RIGHT NOW
    No - No - No - No

Kid napping was the first thing that came to my mind aswell..

Where are the parents of the other child?

When I was five years old, I was allowed to walk the three blocks to kindergarten and back. The world seems to be going to hell in a hand-basket.

Can't stand meddling people. Even though I'm not a helicopter parent, I have to act like one or the damn helicopter parents will pull stunts like this.

Frustrating.

And yes, I second the others - contact a lawyer and consider pressing charges against neighbor for kidnapping. She held them hostage. Period.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    When I was five years old, I was allowed to walk the three blocks to kindergarten and back. The world seems to be going to hell in a hand-basket.
    I remember as a tyke telling my mom I was going to run away from home. She said o.k. and packed a lunch for me. As I headed out the door she said "Remember not to cross the street." Of course not being allowed to cross the street I just circled the block and ended up back home. As she knew I would.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I remember as a tyke telling my mom I was going to run away from home. She said o.k. and packed a lunch for me. As I headed out the door she said "Remember not to cross the street." Of course not being allowed to cross the street I just circled the block and ended up back home. As she knew I would.
    I did that too, but I got hungry and tried to eat some grass. That's when I figured out I was going to have to go home again. I was only allowed to cross the streets when on my way to and from school.

That rule saved my brother's ass. We went to the physicians office for some vaccinations and when my brother saw the needle, he ran out of the office and around the other side of the block, before my mother could catch him. It's a good thing we had been told to never cross the street without permission.

At that age i was unsupervised most of the time.. By five we knew enough to avoid the bears.

We didn't have "Blocks". or streets we couldn't cross.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 04-27-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

What a shame. I honestly hate nosy Nellies. I will keep you and yours in my prayers.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    Can't stand meddling people. Even though I'm not a helicopter parent, I have to act like one or the damn helicopter parents will pull stunts like this.

Frustrating.

And yes, I second the others - contact a lawyer and consider pressing charges against neighbor for kidnapping. She held them hostage. Period.
    This^^^

Sorry about your troubles, fisharmor.

Freedom.

AmeriKa.

See Something Say Something.

Move to NH Fish, no place in Prison AmeriKa is 100% but it's pretty good up here.

Wow.

Are you really considering moving? Whatever you do, don't move up to Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    the nanny state sinks to a new low.
    Not really. That sucks fisharmor. Yes, by all means, address this and get the hall out of dodge.
    "The Patriarch"

This is a bit extreme, but when I was 6, my agoraphobic mother (single w/2 kids), used to pin an envelope of money up under my dress and send me to Furr's Supermarket to get the groceries every week. I still remember reaching UP to push the cart, I was so small. They called me 'The Little Shopper'. After I bought the groceries I'd walk over to the pay phone and call a cab to come get me. I did this, and bought my own clothes at Sears, until I was 8, when we moved to another town and there were no longer any stores within walking distance.

I'm sorry you are going through this. It is absolutely insane what is happening in this country now.
    Last edited by Deborah K; 04-27-2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: clarity
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    smh
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    This is a bit extreme, but when I was 6, my agoraphobic mother (single w/2 kids), used to pin an envelope of money up under my dress and send me to Furr's Supermarket to get the groceries every week. I still remember reaching UP to push the cart, I was so small. They called me 'The Little Shopper'. After I bought the groceries I'd walk over to the pay phone and call a cab to come get me. I did this, and bought my own clothes at Sears, until I was 8, when we moved to another town and there were no longer any stores within walking distance.

I'm sorry you are going through this. It is absolutely insane what is happening in this country now.
    I was hopping the bus to downtown Seattle to go to the Y by myself before I was 9 This country has gone clear off the rails. For fisharmors sake I will refrain from posting what I think.
    "The Patriarch"

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I would start finding out what is law and what are guidlelines created by people that are not in the legislature.

Example:
    http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dfs/chi...vision_eng.htm

Lack of supervision is one of the most prevalent child neglect problems in Fairfax County.

The following represent minimally acceptable standards for the supervision of children. These guidelines have been developed by social work professionals in collaboration with the community. REMEMBER, they are guidelines only.

There may be situations, even within these guidelines, when it is not safe to leave a child unsupervised. Parents are ultimately responsible for making decisions about their child’s safety.

Whenever any child is unsupervised / unattended the following should apply ...

There must be no emotional, medical, or behavioral problems which affect judgement or decision-making skills.
    Child must be comfortable being alone.
    Youth must have a safety plan worked out with the parent/caretaker, which includes:
    How to access parent or other responsible adult at all times (including knowing the parent/caretaker’s whereabouts and having a telephone number where parent can be reached).
    What to do in case of emergency.
    Guidelines for acceptable behavior.
    Knowledge of emergency telephone numbers.
    Youth must demonstrate the ability to follow the safety plan and to make decisions that reflect concern for personal safety.

Age Guidelines ...

7 years and under:
    Should not be left alone for any period of time. This may include leaving children unattended in cars, playgrounds, and backyards. The determining consideration would be the dangers in the environment and the ability of the caretaker to intervene.

8 to 10 years:
    Should not be left alone for more than 1˝ hours and only during daylight and early evening hours.

11 to 12 years:
    May be left alone for up to 3 hours but not late at night or in circumstances requiring inappropriate responsibility.

13 to 15 years:
    May be left unsupervised, but not overnight.

16 to 17 years:
    May be left unsupervised (in some cases, for up to two consecutive overnight periods).
    I would be inclined to fight against an accusation of breaking a guideline. I care about laws, not some guideline.
    Last edited by Cleaner44; 04-27-2014 at 04:19 PM.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

This. Get an attorney. Don't wait to see if charges will be filed. Get one NOW.

MAKE SURE IT IS AN ATTORNEY WHO SPECIALIZES IN THE CHARGES AGAINST YOU.

You and your entire family are now in the crosshairs of statist psychopaths who will enjoy stealing your kids and placing you behind bars if they're able to do it. I've seen this sort of thing happen before. A full blown, all-out legal counter-punch is (IMHO) your best chance. Do it fast, do it now, even if it means selling a car or borrowing from that particularly obnoxious in-law. Time is of the essence.

Keep us posted. Let us know what you find out. And if you set up some sort of legal defense fund, let us know.

And for God's sake, please don't talk to ANY of the cops or prosecutors without legal representation!!

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    This. Get an attorney. Don't wait to see if charges will be filed. Get one NOW.

MAKE SURE IT IS AN ATTORNEY WHO SPECIALIZES IN THE CHARGES AGAINST YOU.

You and your entire family are now in the crosshairs of statist psychopaths who will enjoy stealing your kids and placing you behind bars if they're able to do it. I've seen this sort of thing happen before. A full blown, all-out legal counter-punch is (IMHO) your best chance. Do it fast, do it now, even if it means selling a car or borrowing from that particularly obnoxious in-law. Time is of the essence.

Keep us posted. Let us know what you find out. And if you set up some sort of legal defense fund, let us know.

And for God's sake, please don't talk to ANY of the cops or prosecutors without legal representation!!
    Excellent advice. And I'm down with the defense fund idea 100% if it's needed and it may well be.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Excellent advice. And I'm down with the defense fund idea 100% if it's needed and it may well be.
    Me too!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast