Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go to the university campuses and mail in the ballots?

Go to the university campuses and mail in the ballots?

Is this a reasonable approach to insuring the young voter turn-out? Would the campaign have enough volunteers, to go to the schools and empower some of the political clubs on the campuses?

This seems like an effective approach, but does the campaign have the manpower?

Any idea about this?
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think this absolutely should be pursued in states with early voting. Get these folks registered, get them ballots in their hand and have them fill it out in front you and then have them mail it. You have to be present for all of this to make sure they actually have voted.

Campaign shouldn't have to do this...we should be out doing this.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple View Post
    Campaign shouldn't have to do this...we should be out doing this.
    The volunteers for the campaign are "we".
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

Wish Idaho had early voting that is incredible where it can be done. The young people tell you they will vote then more often then not probably do not show up. I am certain with enough manpower we could get big numbers from campuses if we did this.

in FL you had to show ID and voter reg to the person in the election office to receive your ballot. They don't just hand out stacks of ballots... You could get them to register and check mark the "ballot by mail" option and then get their phone number to call them to remind them to fill it out and mail it (give them a stamp or something too) after the ballots go out via mail...

I think asking them to mail it is too much. Having the envelopes and stamps there and mailing it ourselves, would be able to guarantee us a # of votes.
    "The woods are lovely, dark, and deep... But I have got promises to keep.. and miles to go before I sleep.." - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by IterTemporis View Post
    I think asking them to mail it is too much. Having the envelopes and stamps there and mailing it ourselves, would be able to guarantee us a # of votes.
    Yes of course. That was my thinking as well.
    - Josef Stalin

I sent this message to the Ron Paul Campaign website........... http://www.ronpaul2012.com/contact-us/

Is going to the university campuses and mailing in the ballots a reasonable approach to insuring the young voter turn-out? Would the campaign have enough volunteers, to go to the schools and empower some of the political clubs on the campuses?

This seems like an effective approach, but does the campaign have the manpower?

Any idea about this?

I posed this question in a thread at Ron Paul forums. There should be some solid feedback for review here...... http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...in-the-ballots
    Thank you, your message was sent successfully.
    - Josef Stalin

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's fine, but how do you get them from filling out the application to receive an early ballot, wait the 2 or 3 weeks before it arrives, and then check back with them to make sure they mailed it?

That, or recognize the long accepted fact that young people don't vote, and instead focus on the adults and elders that do.

Focusing campaign efforts on young people is great for winning elections 10-20 years in the future, but it's a losing recipe for the present election.
    I ignore the fact that RP's take back the GOP strategy is working. I ignore the fact that RP accomplished more from his 2008 GOP run than he ever has before. I ignore the fact that 3rd party candidates lose and are a joke to voters. I ignore all this b/c I have an arousing fantasy where RP runs 3rd party in 2012, magically polls at 15%, magically is allowed in the debates, and then magically wins the election. Trust me, it'll work this time.
    - The naive attitude of too many RPF members

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutional Paulicy View Post
    I sent this message to the Ron Paul Campaign website........... http://www.ronpaul2012.com/contact-us/
    If anyone else thinks this would be a good tactic, send a message as I did to the campaign website. Hopefully mine wont go over looked, but if some others also make the recommendation as well, then it is sure to get reviewed.
    - Josef Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Antimony View Post
    That, or recognize the long accepted fact that young people don't vote, and instead focus on the adults and elders that do.

Focusing campaign efforts on young people is great for winning elections 10-20 years in the future, but it's a losing recipe for the present election.
    So are you saying we cant do both? Not sure we can win an election by not going after every demographic.
    Last edited by Constitutional Paulicy; 02-05-2012 at 11:55 PM.
    - Josef Stalin

How is GOTV for your best demographic a losing effort? We don't have to convince anyone, we just have to get them out to vote and that is a lot easier than having Grandma or Grandpa vote for Ron. We need to do some ballot / registration drives WITH the known fact that you will be there to kick them in the ass to go vote and that means calling, DRIVING, and getting them there to vote no matter what. To do that you need fellow supporters to put up the effort of driving these folks there and making sure that they all vote.

1 car can get 4 supporters (average). That should be the goal is to get 4 new voters for everyone one supporter that we have now that is dedicated. I don't see that as something we can't do.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com

Stand next to a mail box
    “When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind.” -CS Lewis

Keep in mind a stamp and envelope will cost about $0.50.

Step 1:
    Have them fill out a voter reg form indicating early voting by mail.

Step 2:
    Get their name, email, and phone number in exchange for a stamped, addressed envelope

Step 3:
    After ballots are mailed, wait a few days and then call them to remind them. If they need another stamp or will personally deliver it, do what it takes.

Step 4:
    Follow up to make sure it got mailed for real, not just a "yah okay"

For 100 votes that would cost $50

For 1000 votes that would cost $500

A big meetup group should be able to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by neverseen View Post

Step 1:

Step 2:
    Get their name, email, and phone number in exchange for a stamped, addressed envelope

Step 3:
    After ballots are mailed, wait a few days and then call them to remind them. If they need another stamp or will personally deliver it, do what it takes.

Step 4:

This is more like it. If everyone gives constructive feedback, a solid approach could be weighed by the campaign. Given of course that they reply to my message and review this thread.
    - Josef Stalin

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    send it in an email to dougwead@aol.com instead.

Stuff like this is for youth for paul and grassroots.

I don't know about you guys but CA registration forms don't cost money to be mailed, it just needs to be folded and dropped in the mailbox.

There is too much reliance on the campaign to get things done....they are not the government
    Last edited by eleganz; 02-06-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

This is more like it. If everyone gives constructive feedback, a solid approach could be weighed by the campaign. Given of course that they reply to my message and review this thread.
    Who cares what the campaign says or thinks. It's up to us. We aren't the campaign and the campaign isn't us. It is up to us to take the necessary action in order to GOTV. I wouldn't rest my laurels in the hope the 'campaign' is going to do it for me.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com

Quote Originally Posted by neverseen View Post

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

WOW!!!! I just read your simple 4 step plan and guess what? I figured it out it wasn't rocket science. What a simple plan unlike some of the other posters on this forum who come up with crazy ideas like divide 3 into 4 multiply by 6, add 20 subtract 10 and find the root number of the answer.

Who cares what the campaign says or thinks. It's up to us. We aren't the campaign and the campaign isn't us. It is up to us to take the necessary action in order to GOTV. I wouldn't rest my laurels in the hope the 'campaign' is going to do it for me.
    I think your underestimating the campaign. They have far more organizational skills and contacts on the ground in every state to make this happen. The few people reading this thread and willing to organize this on a national level is a very optimistic outlook if not unreasonable. It would take more than just a handful of people in a few districts to make a real impact.
    - Josef Stalin

So are you saying we cant do both? Not sure we can win an election by not going after every demographic.
    It's not me that's saying it, it's anyone who knows anything about political science. Young people don't vote. Elders do. If you want to win, you have to win over the people that actually show up to vote.

It's a nice little fantasy to think that it's possible to get the same number of 20-year-olds to vote as 60-year-olds, but it has never happened before and isn't happening in 2012.

Furthermore, "going after every demographic" requires time and money. Time and money are better spent on reliable voters and not hit and miss young people. Again, that's assuming you want to win now.
    I ignore the fact that RP's take back the GOP strategy is working. I ignore the fact that RP accomplished more from his 2008 GOP run than he ever has before. I ignore the fact that 3rd party candidates lose and are a joke to voters. I ignore all this b/c I have an arousing fantasy where RP runs 3rd party in 2012, magically polls at 15%, magically is allowed in the debates, and then magically wins the election. Trust me, it'll work this time.

Quote Originally Posted by WD-NY View Post
    send it in an email to dougwead@aol.com instead.
    Okay, sent it to Doug Wead. Thanks.
    - Josef Stalin

It's not me that's saying it, it's anyone who knows anything about political science. Young people don't vote. Elders do. If you want to win, you have to win over the people that actually show up to vote.

It's a nice little fantasy to think that it's possible to get the same number of 20-year-olds to vote as 60-year-olds, but it has never happened before and isn't happening in 2012.

Furthermore, "going after every demographic" requires time and money. Time and money are better spent on reliable voters and not hit and miss young people. Again, that's assuming you want to win now.
    The Obama campaign sure got the young people to vote. The thing is, generally young people don't have compelling reasons to vote, when their choices are Bush or Al Gore types. Ron Paul is different. We have so many weapons we can use when spreading Ron Paul's message. If you were campaigning for Gingrich, it would be a tough task to convince young people to vote for him.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Election 2008: Second-largest youth voter turnout in American history :

http://thetartan.org/2008/11/10/news/elections

How is GOTV for your best demographic a losing effort? We don't have to convince anyone, we just have to get them out to vote and that is a lot easier than having Grandma or Grandpa vote for Ron. We need to do some ballot / registration drives WITH the known fact that you will be there to kick them in the ass to go vote and that means calling, DRIVING, and getting them there to vote no matter what. To do that you need fellow supporters to put up the effort of driving these folks there and making sure that they all vote.

1 car can get 4 supporters (average). That should be the goal is to get 4 new voters for everyone one supporter that we have now that is dedicated. I don't see that as something we can't do.
    GOTV is a standard campaign requirement. All I'm saying is that older people vote, and young people don't. This is a well established political science fact even when GOTV efforts are accounted for. You do know campaigns have GOTV efforts for elder voters, right? GOTV isn't strictly limited to young people.

You say that getting young people to the polls is easier than getting "Grandma and Grandpa" to vote for RP? How has this been working out so far? We have 0 wins so far and the last couple states had poor young voter turnout.

Again, if the plan is to win the present election, you need to go after the people that actually show up to vote.

So it's a fantasy? Who said anything about getting the same number of younger voters as older? We need to go after younger as well as older. I believe you can empower a lot of volunteers at the university to take action and they will cost little to no money to do so. Hence the word volunteer. I don't believe it's some kind of fantasy as you imply.
    Last edited by Constitutional Paulicy; 02-06-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    - Josef Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Krtek View Post
    The Obama campaign sure got the young people to vote. The thing is, generally young people don't have compelling reasons to vote, when their choices are Bush or Al Gore types. Ron Paul is different. We have so many weapons we can use when spreading Ron Paul's message. If you were campaigning for Gingrich, it would be a tough task to convince young people to vote for him.
    We've been using those "weapons" on them for 4 years now, and it has yet to produce a single primary victory.

And to be clear, we're not at all talking about the concept of convincing young people to vote for RP, Obama, Gingrich, or whoever. We're solely talking about the act of physically getting young people to the polls. It's easy to convince them to vote for RP, but it's historically been near impossible to get them to show up on election day.

Quote Originally Posted by Krtek View Post
    Election 2008: Second-largest youth voter turnout in American history :

http://thetartan.org/2008/11/10/news/elections
    Obama won the youth vote, but he didn't win solely due to the youth vote. He was able to convince a winning number of adults and seniors to vote for him as well.

It's easy to convince them to vote for RP, but it's historically been near impossible to get them to show up on election day.
    Which is why we need to work more closely with them.
    - Josef Stalin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast