Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheriff: Time For Citizens To Arm Themselves

Sheriff: Time For Citizens To Arm Themselves

SPARTANBURG COUNTY, S.C. -- The Spartanburg County Sheriff is known for speaking his mind, and at a news conference on Monday, he didn't hold back his anger and frustration after a woman was attacked in a park over the weekend.

Investigators said 46-year-old Walter Lance grabbed a woman who was walking her dog in Milliken Park on Sunday afternoon. They said Lance choked the woman, made her take off her clothing and tried to rape her. (Full Story)

Lance is in custody and was denied bond on Monday.

Sheriff Chuck Wright opened his news conference by saying, "Our form of justice is not making it," and he said, "I'm really aggravated."

He said, "Carry a concealed weapon. That'll fix it."

Wright said Lance had been charged numerous times with crimes again women, and other crimes such as resisting arrest and escape. Wright said Lance had been on probation for a federal gun charge.

He referred to Lance repeatedly as an "animal," and expressed his disgust about Lance's long record and the attack.

He said Lance "doesn't fight police or men folk -- he just goes after women." He said Lance is not married because, "No woman can stay married to him because he beats them down too much."

Wright said, "This is a horrific crime … her life was threatened so many times."

Wright said he knows "liberals" don't think you can just keep people in jail, but that Lance "should not have the right or opportunity to violate a good, upstanding woman."

Wright said, "It's too bad someone with a concealed weapons permit didn't walk by. That would fix it." He said people are tired of doing the right thing and criminals getting away with their actions.

He said several times, "I want you to get a concealed weapons permit."

Wright said, "I'm tired of looking at victims saying, 'There's life after this' … I'm tired of saying, 'We're sorry, we can't keep them in jail.'"

Wright said in his view gun control is, "How fast can you can get the barrel of your gun back on the target?"

Wright said the attack is not the fault of Millken Park. He said, "It's a nice place for families."

He said officers patrol the area all the time and respond to various calls there. He said, "Don't blame anyone for having an animal on their property … We can't get it all."

He encouraged women to walk in groups, and he ended by saying again, "I want you to get a concealed weapons permit. Don't get Mace. Get a firearm."

And then he said, "I think I better stop before I get sanctioned."

http://www.wyff4.com/news/29638219/detail.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Good for him. I hope the people of his county listen and heed his words.

I go to school in Spartanburg County, and Miliken Park is near a sketch place in town. I'm not thrilled with Chuck Wright turns things into a police state on 85 during Operation Rolling Thunder though. Btw If you are in town for the debate on the 12th, take a stop by Delaney's Pub, great bar and place to reach out to folks with.

Ya gotta love Sheriffs like this.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Ya gotta love Sheriffs like this.
    To bad most are scum.

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTurkey View Post
    To bad most are scum.
    Sheriffs? Have any proof of that?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

My opinion comes from personal experience, but you can always do a simple google search.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTurkey View Post
    To bad most are scum.
    I beg to differ.

Our county cops are cool. Don't screw with traffic, only show up when called. They don't give us $#@! for riding our toys around here and having a big ass fireworks display in my back yard. I think they are exactly what they are supposed to be, peace officers.

Now the feds and city cops that showed up at my house......they were complete with the black outfit and guns drawn.

I thanked them for NOT killing my dog. They didn't laugh.

You may or may not want to go to this man's concealed carry class.

"It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Good for that Sheriff. An armed citizenry makes for a polite society.
    “When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!”
    ― Andrew Jackson

Outstanding!
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
    I beg to differ.

Our county cops are cool. Don't screw with traffic, only show up when called. They don't give us $#@! for riding our toys around here and having a big ass fireworks display in my back yard. I think they are exactly what they are supposed to be, peace officers.

Now the feds and city cops that showed up at my house......they were complete with the black outfit and guns drawn.

I thanked them for NOT killing my dog. They didn't laugh.

Yeah, my experience is that as well. Sheriff departments are usually more laid-back than the uber-militaristic urban police forces. Maybe direct-election has something to do with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Getting a CWP in SC is a huge pain in the ASS. They also do not have reciprocity like all the other southern states. I have my CWP for GA that allows me to CC in 22 other states, but I drive back and forth over the border all the time between GA/SC and have to put my firearm in my glovebox. If I had seen that man attacking the woman, I would have either had to run back to my car and get my gun or get into a physical fight with the creature who my be carrying god knows what disease and put myself at risk.

Cool

In order to raise awareness of this issue as well as lift Ron's numbers in SC, the question now becomes...

How do we convince/cajole Ron into:
    (1) voicing support for what this Sheriff has said, and
    (2) reminding people that their county Sheriff has more authority than federal agents

here is the video to put on thp of the thread
    Turn Copper into gold http://UgetGold.com/ and see what it is all about!
    YOU EARN COPPER, SILVER AND/OR GOLD!!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by XTreat View Post
    Getting a CWP in SC is a huge pain in the ASS. They also do not have reciprocity like all the other southern states. I have my CWP for GA that allows me to CC in 22 other states, but I drive back and forth over the border all the time between GA/SC and have to put my firearm in my glovebox. If I had seen that man attacking the woman, I would have either had to run back to my car and get my gun or get into a physical fight with the creature who my be carrying god knows what disease and put myself at risk.
    along these lines:

i know there have been countless threads about the state v. federal 2nd amendment argument.

and while i don't want to deter a sheriff that wants citizens to arm themselves...

i DO NOT AGREE that a person needs a PERMIT to carry a loaded, concealed weapon.

permit = permission to do so.

the 2nd amendment guarantees my right to be armed. it is my natural, God-given right to have the ability to defend myself if need be. i choose to carry a gun for self-defense purposes.

the whole CCW fiasco seriously gets on my nerves. and encourages me to free my inner outlaw

the crap we put up with just irritates me.
    a comprehensive website about critical theory and how it's destroying our civilization: https://newdiscourses.com

Quote Originally Posted by flightlesskiwi View Post
    along these lines:

i know there have been countless threads about the state v. federal 2nd amendment argument.

and while i don't want to deter a sheriff that wants citizens to arm themselves...

i DO NOT AGREE that a person needs a PERMIT to carry a loaded, concealed weapon.

the 2nd amendment guarantees my right to be armed. it is my natural, God-given right to have the ability to defend myself if need be. i choose to carry a gun for self-defense purposes.

the whole CCW fiasco seriously gets on my nerves. and encourages me to free my inner outlaw

the crap we put up with just irritates me.
    Actually, concealed weapon permits stem from British common law, and I would argue are not unconstitutional. It stems from the line of thinking that gentlemen fight fairly, while the crooks use deception, and therefore hide their weapons.

I do see where you are coming from though, in general the amount of stuff you need permits for is ridiculous.

Really all that needs to be said on this matter.

Bad apples everywhere.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/10/31/41047.htm

I do like the Sheriffs in the counties I have dealt with here in Montana.
    Last edited by SL89; 10-31-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Flirt.

I actually prefer Open Carry. It just seems more honest to me.
    And I say that as a prohibited person. (outlaw)
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Yeah, my experience is that as well. Sheriff departments are usually more laid-back than the uber-militaristic urban police forces. Maybe direct-election has something to do with that.
    There probably is a relationship between being elected and somewhat more responsive to the will of the citizens.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Unhappy Sheriff: Our system of justice doesn't work.

Last edited by hillbilly123069; 10-31-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bernanke View Post
    Actually, concealed weapon permits stem from British common law, and I would argue are not unconstitutional. It stems from the line of thinking that gentlemen fight fairly, while the crooks use deception, and therefore hide their weapons.

I do see where you are coming from though, in general the amount of stuff you need permits for is ridiculous.
    1. i've never heard that explanation as an excuse clearing the way for CCW permits. in fact, permits for concealing a weapon are, from what i understand, a recent phenomenon. if you have links/books/papers/court rulings to back up your "gentlemen v crooks/commonlaw" statement, i'd be interested.

2. it's not the amount of stuff you need permits for, it's that, if you were viewing the world solely through a permit-needing lens, one would come to the conclusion a person has zero natural rights. that's what gets up in my crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Flirt.

I actually prefer Open Carry. It just seems more honest to me.
    And I say that as a prohibited person. (outlaw)
    flirt? definitely.

i agree with you about open carry. to a point. as a small-framed (but know how to fight dirty) female usually accompanied by small children, i prefer to be clandestine. and nobody truly has the authority to tell me i don't have a right that is mine. yup, i've embraced my inner outlaw.
    a comprehensive website about critical theory and how it's destroying our civilization: https://newdiscourses.com

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    There probably is a relationship between being elected and somewhat more responsive to the will of the citizens.
    In even the most corrupt areas, there is still that window of opportunity to remove a bad sheriff. No such practical opportunity exists for police.

I agree with the sentiment. It's just too bad you have to listen to the crybabies with that "you can't take the law into your own hands" mantra.

"It's too bad someone with a concealed weapons permit didn't walk by. That would fix it."
    and then that someone could get sued, arrested, etc. Not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugerrand View Post
    more discussion on this story happening here:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...Arm-Themselves
    Yeah it's like the third or fourth thread about it. I don't understand why mods don't simply merge these threads.
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

Quote Originally Posted by hazek View Post
    Yeah it's like the third or fourth thread about it. I don't understand why mods don't simply merge these threads.
    well we don't see everything... thanks for flagging these merged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast