James Antle with some helpful advice for the good doctor on Politico today. Certainly a topic that has been discussed many times before on these forums.

Excerpt:

The issue environment is more favorable to Paul this time around — and the GOP field looks weaker. Yet Paul still allows himself to be drawn into defending libertarian theory, when he could be winning votes.

For example, in South Carolina, Chris Wallace of Fox News listed a variety of “personal habits” — drug use, prostitution, gay marriage — Paul had said “should be legal if states want to permit” them. Wallace asked, “[W]hy should social conservatives in South Carolina vote for you?”

Paul made brief mention of the social conservatives’ right to pray without government interference before eloquently defending drug legalization and doing an amusing impression of a heroin addict.

He got a good crowd reaction. “I never thought heroin would get applause here in South Carolina,” Wallace quipped.

But in terms of gaining support, Paul should have spent his time answering Wallace’s question. “Social conservatives in South Carolina should vote for me,” he could have said, “because I’m pro-life on abortion and my bill would prevent federal judges from forcing gay marriage on their state.”
Read more:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/55097.html