View Poll Results: Should drunk driving be legal?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

78 38.42%
  • No (explain your penalty of choice)

111 54.68%
  • Unsure

14 6.90%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Should Drunk Driving Be Legal?

I think that drunkenness should be an aggravating factor IF AND ONLY IF someone is actually harmed by the driver.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post

IIRC, in a previous response I mentioned that while driving "drunk" may not necessarily be a crime, it does not follow that the act may not be intervened upon. You are pulled over for erratic driving and blow drunk. Rather than attempting to ruin your life, put you in the drunk tank or at least confiscate your keys until such time as you pick up the vehicle in a state of sobriety.
    A good point, why must punishment always be involved when simple intervention in the case of a clear public hazard would suffice?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Dem lawmaker announces plans to propose bill requiring breathalyzers in new vehicles

The nannystaters never stop. They want to regulate very single aspect of life. Everything must be touched by government. Everything must be meddled with. It's a soft form of totalitarianism. But over time this "soft' totalitarianism accumulates and calcifies into just plane old nasty totalitarianism.

This proposal is being floated in the name of safety. But it reflects a misunderstanding of the balance in a free society between freedom and risk. We should not have to blow into a computer in our car just so we can operate our property.

(From The Hill)
    Rep. Debbie Dingell (D-Mich.) is planning to introduce a bill next week that would require all new vehicles sold in the U.S. to come equipped with an interlocking breathalyzer device.

The breathalyzer device would force drivers to test their blood-alcohol content (BAC) levels before being able to start the car.

https://www.thesorrentino.com/all-ne...n-new-vehicles
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

OP;
    I dunno' but 60% if vehicular fatalities are caused by sober drivers,
    not a lot of concern over those deaths,
    seems to me, like dead is dead, my belief is that people should be held accountable for their actions,
    not because they had two or three beers but whether they hurt people.
    We don't need checkpoints and breathalyzers, we need real cops that watch for
    aggressive and incapable drivers, booze , no booze , accountability period.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    OP;
    I dunno' but 60% if vehicular fatalities are caused by sober drivers,
    not a lot of concern over those deaths,
    seems to me, like dead is dead, my belief is that people should be held accountable for their actions,
    not because they had two or three beers but whether they hurt people.
    We don't need checkpoints and breathalyzers, we need real cops that watch for
    aggressive and incapable drivers, booze , no booze , accountability period.
    90+%,, are "sober" drivers.

A small amount are due to Catastrophic Mechanical Failure. and some could be weather related..

Most are stupid mistakes by poor drivers. (accidents)
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Dem lawmaker announces plans to propose bill requiring breathalyzers in new vehicles

The nannystaters never stop. They want to regulate very single aspect of life. Everything must be touched by government. Everything must be meddled with. It's a soft form of totalitarianism. But over time this "soft' totalitarianism accumulates and calcifies into just plane old nasty totalitarianism.

This proposal is being floated in the name of safety. But it reflects a misunderstanding of the balance in a free society between freedom and risk. We should not have to blow into a computer in our car just so we can operate our property.

(From The Hill)
    Rep. Debbie Dingell (D-Mich.) is planning to introduce a bill next week that would require all new vehicles sold in the U.S. to come equipped with an interlocking breathalyzer device.

The breathalyzer device would force drivers to test their blood-alcohol content (BAC) levels before being able to start the car.

Oh great, as if there are not enough things to keep a vehicle from working they want another device that will require maintenance.

I suppose when it isn't working correctly, it will make a little engine light on the dash light up except this time, the engine wont even start.

How are they going to keep people from using a small compressor to blow in the tube?
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 01-11-2019 at 09:25 PM.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

(From The Hill)

It won't stop at new cars if this goes through.
    "The Patriarch"

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

here it is
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112