PDA

View Full Version : Tests show bootleg marijuana vapes tainted with hydrogen cyanide

Swordsmyth
09-27-2019, 07:03 PM
NBC News commissioned one of the nation's leading cannabis testing facilities to test a sampling of THC cartridges — 18 in all — obtained from legal dispensaries and unlicensed dealers.The findings were deeply troubling.
Of the three purchased from legal dispensaries in California, the CannaSafe testing company found no heavy metals, pesticides or residual solvents like Vitamin E.
But 13 out of the other 15 samples from black market THC cartridges were found to contain Vitamin E.
CannaSafe also tested 10 of the unregulated cartridges for pesticides. All 10 tested positive.
The products all contained myclobutanil, a fungicide that can transform into hydrogen cyanide when burned.
"You certainly don’t want to be smoking cyanide," said Antonio Frazier, the vice president of operations at CannaSafe. "I don’t think anyone would buy a cart that was labeled hydrogen cyanide on it."
Pirzada described the existence of myclobutanil as "very disturbing," adding that "it’s going to cause a very toxic effect on the lungs."

More at: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vaping/tests-show-bootleg-marijuana-vapes-tainted-hydrogen-cyanide-n1059356

This couldn't be like when the feds spiked bootleg whisky with wood alcohol during prohibition, right?

CoastieInColorado
09-27-2019, 07:11 PM
NBC News commissioned one of the nation's leading cannabis testing facilities to test a sampling of THC cartridges — 18 in all — obtained from legal dispensaries and unlicensed dealers.The findings were deeply troubling.
Of the three purchased from legal dispensaries in California, the CannaSafe testing company found no heavy metals, pesticides or residual solvents like Vitamin E.
But 13 out of the other 15 samples from black market THC cartridges were found to contain Vitamin E.
CannaSafe also tested 10 of the unregulated cartridges for pesticides. All 10 tested positive.
The products all contained myclobutanil, a fungicide that can transform into hydrogen cyanide when burned.
"You certainly don’t want to be smoking cyanide," said Antonio Frazier, the vice president of operations at CannaSafe. "I don’t think anyone would buy a cart that was labeled hydrogen cyanide on it."
Pirzada described the existence of myclobutanil as "very disturbing," adding that "it’s going to cause a very toxic effect on the lungs."

More at: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vaping/tests-show-bootleg-marijuana-vapes-tainted-hydrogen-cyanide-n1059356

This couldn't be like when the feds spiked bootleg whisky with wood alcohol during prohibition, right?

Anecdotal evidence that some regulation works.

And no, I would think they would spike the already legal states supply as a way to stifle further legalization, because that would raise alarm and could effect everyday Grandma Jane, nobody really gives a shit about what happens on the black market.

ETA: I've noticed lately in several articles and on TV that the focus is on California legalization and testing, when we (Colorado) have been legal for going on 8 years...

Swordsmyth
09-27-2019, 07:15 PM
Anecdotal evidence that some regulation works.

And no, I would think they would spike the already legal states supply as a way to stifle further legalization, because that would raise alarm and could effect everyday Grandma Jane, nobody really gives a $#@! about what happens on the black market.

ETA: I've noticed lately in several articles and on TV that the focus is on California legalization and testing, when we (Colorado) have been legal for going on 8 years...
I was thinking it was done to provide an excuse to outlaw vaping as opposed to scaring people about weed.

CoastieInColorado
09-27-2019, 07:19 PM
I was thinking it was done to provide an excuse to outlaw vaping as opposed to scaring people about weed.

You're probably right, and this also bolsters the argument for legalization at the same time, none of the legal places had anything in them.

pcosmar
10-08-2019, 03:03 PM

That was literally my very first thought. and I don't even Vape..

I remember Paraquat.

shakey1
10-08-2019, 03:32 PM
Probably both.

That was literally my very first thought. and I don't even Vape..

I remember Paraquat.
Me too :mad: ... still best to go natural, me thinks.