Thread: Bill Gates: The Best Investment Iíve Ever Made

Bill Gates: The Best Investment Iíve Ever Made

Bill Gates: The Best Investment Iíve Ever Made
    Global health groups that buy and distribute medicines are a sure bet for saving lives, but their government funding is now in danger, and even the biggest philanthropies canít fill the gap
    By Bill Gates - Jan. 16, 2019

Technology is a boom-or-bust business, but itís mostly busts. Iíve always assumed that 10% of my technology investments will succeedóand succeed wildly. The other 90% I expect to fail.

When I made the transition from my first career at Microsoft to my second career in philanthropy, I didnít think that my success rate would change much. I was now putting money into new ways to reduce poverty and disease. Discovering a new vaccine, I figured, would be just as hard as discovering the next tech unicorn. (Vaccines are much harder, it turns out.)

After 20 years of investing in health, though, one type of investment has surprised meóbecause, unlike investing in a new vaccine or technology, the success rate is very high. Itís what people in the global-health business call ďfinancing and delivery.Ē Decades ago, these investments werenít sure bets, but today, they almost always pay off in a big way.
    Over the past two decades, my wife Melinda and I have put a total of $10 billion into organizations that do this challenging work, including three big ones: Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance; the Global Fund; and the Global Polio Eradication Initiative.
    Every three to five years, each of these three organizations needs to raise new money. Most of the time, these ďreplenishments,Ē as theyíre called, are spaced out, but that isnít the case now. By a fluke of the calendar, Gavi, the Global Fund and the GPEI will all need more money over the next 18 months.
    The world may now need institutions like Gavi, the Global Fund and GPEI more than ever, but itís also less committed to them than at any point in their history.

The $10 billion that we have contributed to these institutions only amounts to about one-tenth of what the wider world has put into them. The vast majority of their money doesnít come from philanthropies; it comes from governments.

Over the past 20 years, convincing legislators and leaders to invest in these institutions has been a hard but manageable job. Even during the financial crisis of 2008 and the subsequent recession, the U.S. increased its contributions to the Global Fund.
    The world, however, has changed a lot since then.
    Institutions such as Gavi, the Global Fund and GPEI are the closest things that we have to surefire bets to alleviate suffering and save lives. They are the best investments that Melinda and I have made in the past 20 years, and they are some of the best investments the world can make in the years ahead.
    More: https://www.wsj.com/articles/bill-ga...de-11547683309
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Billionaire Philanthropy translation: "Put a bit of money into your favorite side project, lobby government, and your initial investment will be multiplied at least tenfold. And the best part, you get to control it all!"
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Billionaire Philanthropy translation: "Put a bit of money into your favorite side project, lobby government, and your initial investment will be multiplied at least tenfold. And the best part, you get to control the tax payers, get to pay for it all!"
    Even with the corrections, most of the people still don’t feel the pain.
    ďThe right to life is the source of all rightsóand the right to property is their only implementation. Without property rights, no other rights are possible. Since man has to sustain his life by his own effort, the man who has no right to the product of his effort has no means to sustain his life. The man who produces while others dispose of his product, is a slave.Ē

An Agorist Primer