Thread: Sens. Warren and Durbin: End Solitary Confinement of US Capitol ‘Insurrection’ Defendants

Sens. Warren and Durbin: End Solitary Confinement of US Capitol ‘Insurrection’ Defendants

Sens. Warren and Durbin: End Solitary Confinement of US Capitol ‘Insurrection’ Defendants
    Written by Adam Dick - Tuesday April 20, 2021

Good for Senators Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Dick Durbin (D-IL) for standing up against the widespread use of physically and emotionally devastating solitary confinement in prisons and jails across America. In particular, the two senators are criticizing that people charged for involvement in the so-called January 6 United States Capitol insurrection are being routinely subjected to solitary confinement in jail while they await their trials.
    More: http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...on-defendants/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan. 6 defendants win unlikely Dem champions as they face harsh detainment
    “Solitary confinement is a form of punishment that is cruel and psychologically damaging,” Sen. Elizabeth Warren said.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren fled the Capitol on Jan. 6 from a mob she later called domestic terrorists. Now she and another Senate Democratic leader are standing up for their attackers' rights as criminal defendants.

Most of the 300-plus people charged with participating in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot have been released while they await trial, but dozens of those deemed to be dangerous, flight risks or at high risk of obstructing justice were ordered held without bond. D.C. jail officials later determined that all Capitol detainees would be placed in so-called restrictive housing — a move billed as necessary to keep the defendants safe, as well as guards and other inmates. But that means 23-hour-a-day isolation for the accused, even before their trials begin.

And such treatment doesn't sit well with Warren or Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), two of the chamber's fiercest critics of solitary confinement.

“Solitary confinement is a form of punishment that is cruel and psychologically damaging,” Warren said in an interview. “And we’re talking about people who haven’t been convicted of anything yet.”
    Warren and Durbin's interest in the conditions facing detained Jan. 6 defendants come amid a massive Justice Department push to arrest and prosecute the hundreds of people who breached the Capitol and threatened the peaceful transfer of power to the Biden administration.

Dozens of men locked up in D.C.’s jail were deemed by prosecutors and judges as the most egregious participants in the Jan. 6 violence, a status that hardly appears to afford them sympathy. Still, as their numbers have grown, those defendants' plight has drawn attention from federal judges and defense lawyers.
    More: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...-warren-483125
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

No one was killed by the protesters. The building was not set on fire. There was no looting. No statues were torn down. The interior and exterior of the Capital were not covered in graffiti. A small number of people broke a few windows. Most of the protesters were allowed entry to the building as if they were on a tour.

3 and 1/2 months in solitary confinement so far. That would seem to exceed the maximum sentence they could possibly be given.

6th Amendment:

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.
    8th Amendment:

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 04-20-2021 at 02:27 PM.

Wasn't expecting that to come out of Senators from Illinois and Massachusetts.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Wasn't expecting that to come out of Senators from Illinois and Massachusetts.
    It's a position that was once expected of liberals. Their credibility has sunk so low, I'm not surprised to see some of them trying to rehabilitate their reputations this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Define Terrorist please.

According to, well, pretty much both political parties, the other party is now guilty of Terrorism.
    Listening to the mainstream media is like standing under a power line when the birds are migrating.