Thread: Senate Democrats (re)introduce D.C. statehood bill

Senate Democrats (re)introduce D.C. statehood bill

I hope they do this.

I hope they pass D.C. statehood - and I hope they deep-six the fillibuster just to get it done. [1]

I hope they pack the courts. I hope they do all these things and more.

In short, I hope they do everything they can to expose themselves (as the demented power-lusters they are) to the greatest number of people.

No more pussy-footing around. Let's get this show on the road ...

[1] If they do get rid of the fillibuster, this would be yet another degradation of American mos maiorum - and yet another striking parallel with the late Roman Republic.

Senate Democrats introduce bill to make D.C. the 51st state
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/washing...ate-democrats/
    Grace Segers (27 January 2021)

Democratic Senator Tom Carper of Delaware, joined by a group of more than three dozen fellow Democrats, has introduced a bill to make Washington, D.C., the 51st state, continuing the years-long campaign to grant statehood to the nation's capital.

While the D.C. statehood movement enjoys widespread support from Democrats, who control the White House and both houses of Congress, Republican lawmakers generally oppose the effort, and the district is unlikely to become a state unless Democrats take the controversial step of eliminating the legislative filibuster in the Senate.

Carper introduced the companion bill to House legislation to make D.C. a state on Tuesday. The House passed a D.C. statehood bill last year by a vote of 232 to 180. The bill has 38 cosponsors in the Senate, including Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer. President Biden said that he would support D.C. statehood during the presidential campaign.

[...]

Democrats currently hold the narrowest possible majority in the Senate, with only 50 seats and Vice President Kamala Harris casting any tie-breaking vote. As most legislation currently requires 60 votes to end debate and receive a full vote on the Senate floor, a bill to make D.C. a state would likely be unable to reach that threshold.

Advocates for D.C. statehood argue that the Democratic majority needs to eliminate the filibuster, the procedure that allows senators to block legislation requiring 60 votes to end debate. If only a simple majority was required to end debate, this argument goes, then the Senate could approve D.C. statehood with only 51 votes.

[... continued at link (see above) ...]
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 01-29-2021 at 06:27 PM.

Libertarian Party Mises Caucus
    "The libertarian wing of the Libertarian Party."

Platform · Our Actions

Mises PAC
    (Libertarian Party membership not required)

#TakeHumanAction · Donate · Merchandise

HOME · Facebook · Twitter · YouTube

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dems don't have the votes and they aren't going to use the nuclear option on something like this. Well yet anyway.

I think DC should be absorbed into an existing state and done away with entirely , now . It isnt the Vatican . It isnt worthy of its own district and there is no legitimate reason for it .
    Do something Danke

But DC becoming a state is unconstitutional. Surely the politicians will reconsider knowing this.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

The reality is, this isn't the first time, a state has had controversy. At the end of the day, if the residents of the city want to turn the area into a state, I guess that is down to them. DC isn't the same place it was when the city was first setup.

With Alaska it was Democrats and Republicans with disagreements, then Republicans not wanting Democrats having more representatives.

Just in the news again https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/22/p...ote/index.html