Thread: U.S. strikes in Afghanistan have increased on Trump's orders

U.S. strikes in Afghanistan have increased on Trump's orders

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...ncrease-029815

The U.S. military has stepped up operations against militants in Afghanistan on the orders of President Donald Trump following the very public collapse of peace talks with the Taliban, Defense Secretary Mark Esper told reporters Friday.

“We did step up our attacks on the Taliban since the talks broke down,” Esper told reporters traveling with him back to Washington from Louisville, Ky. “The president did want us to pick up in response to the heinous attacks that the Taliban and others conducted throughout Afghanistan," including Kabul.

The remarks constitute the Pentagon's first public confirmation of Trump's recent pronouncements that U.S. military operations have picked up in recent weeks.

We did pick up the pace considerably,” Esper added.

The Trump administration last month suspended negotiations with the Taliban that were designed to wind down the 18-year-old conflict after Trump tweeted he was canceling a secretly planned visit by Taliban negotiators to the presidential retreat at Camp David in rural Maryland.

The meeting was intended to finalize an agreement under negotiation since last fall in which the U.S. would cut its troops in Afghanistan from the current official total of 14,000 to 8,600 in exchange for a Taliban pledge to enter direct peace talks with the Afghan government and renounce international terrorist groups like al-Qaida.

In a Sept. 7 tweet announcing the cancellation of the visit, Trump blamed a Taliban suicide attack in Kabul that had killed a U.S. soldier and 11 other people two days earlier.

Esper declined to provide details of the stepped-up U.S. operations but said they include both "air and ground” attacks. He also stressed that “Afghans lead these operations on the ground” with U.S. troops present in an advisory role.

Since the suspension of talks, Trump has asserted repeatedly that U.S. forces were striking the Taliban harder.

“The last four days, we’ve hit our enemy harder than they have ever been hit before, and that will continue,” Trump said during a ceremony at the Pentagon marking the 18th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks. Trump repeated the claim the following week.
    More at link. There are currently about 14,000 US troops in Afghanistan- up from about 6,000 when Trump took office.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quantum Dark Energy Wormhole Chess.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

A Taliban delegation met U.S. special representative for Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad for more than an hour on Thursday, two sources told Reuters, the first known contact between the sides since U.S. President Donald Trump called off talks last month.

Two Taliban sources confirmed they viewed themselves as committed to the agreements reached in Doha and were disappointed when Trump pulled out of talks.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a Taliban leader in Afghanistan said the delegation's visit to Pakistan was intended to revive negotiations to end the 18-year war.

A Pakistan government source said that Pakistan would do "whatever possible" to get stakeholders, including Russia and China, to meet and work on guarantees of any successful peace arrangement.
    "The Taliban want all stakeholders like America, Russia, China...to sit together and give some guarantees that any deal done and signed wouldn't be backed out before they resume the negotiations,” he said, adding that Pakistan's government was also trying to ensure the Afghan government was included.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/1-taliban-del...073325191.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Political theater. Trump doesn't need to negotiate with anybody to bring the troops home.

Ya gotta fight em over there so we don’t have to fight them over here. They only hate us because of our freedoms. Almost 20 years of spreading democracy should have done it, but the markets are a little down. Just call it economic stimulus and say the pledge.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Quantum Dark Energy Wormhole Chess.
    LOL - I'm going to spread some rep around, I'll be back.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    LOL - I'm going to spread some rep around, I'll be back.

I shamelessly swiped it from @Occam's Banana.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

rep'd: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6865911

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    Politico:

Fake news

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Politico:

Fake news
    Fake news is sooo last election. It is now being called "corrupt" news.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    Fake news is sooo last election. It is now being called "corrupt" news.
    My bad.

Politico:

Corrupt News.

Banned

Blog Entries
    I need a link from Infowars before I believe any of this.

Far more reputable. Far more allied with my interests.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I need a link from Infowars before I believe any of this.

Far more reputable. Far more allied with my interests.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Define Terrorist please.

According to, well, pretty much both political parties, the other party is now guilty of Terrorism.
    Listening to the mainstream media is like standing under a power line when the birds are migrating.

I don't think more bombing is going to solve our problems.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Hey, come on now. Those troops will be coming home and mustering out into private life any day now. Trust the plan.
    Chris

At least he hasn't started any new wars, yet.
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Yemen. Granted we didn't start that one, but the US was not involved until Trump took office. He significantly increased involvement in Syria too.

So far he's been mostly content to intensify the old ones. We'll see what happens after the next election.
    Chris

For one, wars are not easy to start. It takes years of setup and planning. Some presidents do the setup and other start the warring. If they are doing the setup, then they are just as guilty as the president who started it. Iraq took about a decade of sanctions and no fly zone enforcement before Bush was able to start the war, Syria and Libya needed the arab spring etc. Trump right now is busy trying to start one but i think he would be content with setting one up for a President Warren to kick off.

I'm not sure how much we should be concerned about such reports or if US MSM should even report these, technically thesee children are not of our race :

UN: 'Alarming' spike of 82 percent in Afghan child casualties

Worsening security in Afghanistan in past four years has led to more than 14,000 violations against children, UN says.
    4 Oct 2019

UN chief Guterres condemned 'alarming level' of grave violations committed by all parties against children [Hoshang Hashimi/AFP]

Worsening security across Afghanistan has led to 14,000 violations against children in the past four years, including nearly 3,500 killed and 9,000 injured, a UN report said.
    Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned "the alarming level" of grave violations committed by all sides in the 18-year war and the fact that children "continue to bear the brunt of the armed conflict".

Of serious concern, he said, was the nearly 12,600 children verified to have been killed or injured in 2015-2018 represented almost one-third of all civilian casualties.
    READ MORE

Dozens of civilians killed in Afghan forces' anti-Taliban attack

That was "an increase of 82 percent in child casualties compared with the previous four years", he said.

Guterres wrote in his fourth report on children and armed conflict in Afghanistan the rise was traced to "an increase in child casualties resulting from ground engagements, explosive remnants of war and aerial attacks".

The UN chief said he was "extremely concerned, especially by the number of children killed and injured as a result of aerial operations conducted by government and pro-government forces".
    According to the report, child casualties from air strikes "have significantly increased since 2015", reversing the downward trend of the four preceding years.

Yep, you owe Occam big time.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    For one, wars are not easy to start. It takes years of setup and planning. Some presidents do the setup and other start the warring. If they are doing the setup, then they are just as guilty as the president who started it. Iraq took about a decade of sanctions and no fly zone enforcement before Bush was able to start the war, Syria and Libya needed the arab spring etc. Trump right now is busy trying to start one but i think he would be content with setting one up for a President Warren to kick off.
    Thanks for splainin' that to me Jules. You're such a treasure.
    "The Patriarch"