Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 48

Thread: Obama to Seek 30% Cut in Emissions at Power Plants

  1. #1

    Obama to Seek 30% Cut in Emissions at Power Plants

    President Barack Obama will propose cutting greenhouse-gas emissions from the nation’s power plants by an average of 30 percent from 2005 levels by 2030, according to people briefed on the plans.

    The proposal, scheduled to be unveiled by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency tomorrow morning, represents one of the boldest steps the U.S. has taken to fight global warming -- and a political gamble.
    cont.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...use-gases.html



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    How much per KWH would that raise coal fired electric ?

  4. #3
    Regulation without representation.

  5. #4
    Another feel good regulation that one wouldn't do a damn thing to reduce CO2 emissions in any significant way and two further diminish our economic competitiveness with other countries.

  6. #5
    Does China have to cut emissions, too?
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Another feel good regulation that one wouldn't do a damn thing to reduce CO2 emissions in any significant way and two further diminish our economic competitiveness with other countries.
    Yes , the Dems are economic terrorists.

  8. #7
    "So, if somebody wants to build a coal plant, they can — it’s just that it will bankrupt them, because they are going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that’s being emitted". ~ Barack Hussein Obama 2008

    It's not like we weren't warned.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.


    A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Yes , the Dems are economic terrorists.
    Yup and you know, I saw something on TV a few hrs that made me sick. I was watching the new cosmos show on Fox national channel and you wouldn't believe the kind of green propaganda they was spreading on that program. I hope someone else saw it cos it was so blatant what they were trying to do.

    The scientist host was talking about how society harnessed the power of the sun by going from nomadic society to agricultural society. He said they was a big explosion in civilization after the transition and was sorta implying the same will happen if we transitioned to green technologies. Ofc he did not tell the audience that the transition(more like discovery of agriculture) did not cost the nomadic society anything, in fact it was a cheaper change unlike what this CO2 emission reduction will cost our economy.

    Also left out of his analysis was the bigger explosion in civilization and population that came after the discovery of oil. It was just a very one sided analysis in favor of a green economy and I am afraid that a lot of people are slowly buying into that way of thinking. My guess is nothing of political consequence will come off this policy and more regulations like this will follow without congress or society as a whole doing anything.

    More manufacturing jobs will leave the country as a result of this regulation and Obama will go back on his soapbox to berate the republicans for not raising the minimum wage.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Nothing but redistribution of wealth from the everyday peons who consume energy to a variety of cronies and Wall St.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

    Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  12. #10
    Natural gas is certainly the lesser of the evils, but it's definitely not ideal.

    While I disagree with their method, I'm not entirely opposed to their goal. Driving up prices is what it's going to take to get the majority of Americans to be more conservative with resources. It's better to artificially do this earlier on than wait until we hit the point where there's not enough supply to meet our energy demand, insufficient viable alternative energy sources, and energy prices REALLY skyrocket. I'd rather see prices inflated with a tax that would go toward clean energy research.

    Climate change isn't the only concern. There is a lot of evidence the air pollution from current energy sources is increasing the prevalence of certain cancers, birth defects, respiratory diseases, and neurological disorders. These are extremely costly!

  13. #11
    Is there necessarily something wrong with an interest in Green Energy? I mean if it really does work and is not pseudoscience or a misguided policy?

    I mean cleaner air is a good thing right? Or do we embrace a dirty environment because we think doing otherwise would cost jobs? I don't think we need to pick one or the other. That feels like a false choice much like our elections do when we're told to choose a Republican or Democrat.

    With that said, Obama does have a very weird Magic Wand view of his power. He thinks he can just waive his magic pen and change reality. He has no concept of freakin Innovation of new ideas to solve problems. He just regulates it or throws money at it.

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Is there necessarily something wrong with an interest in Green Energy? I mean if it really does work and is not pseudoscience or a misguided policy?
    Nothing wrong with green technology. If it was reliable and cost effective, I will be first in line to buy it. The problem is that at this moment in time, it is not reliable and or cheaper than what we have now. Force it on society and it will only lead to increase cost of living. Its sorta like if govt started forcing everyone to move from combustion engines to Tesla type electric vehicles

    Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    I mean cleaner air is a good thing right? Or do we embrace a dirty environment because we think doing otherwise would cost jobs? I don't think we need to pick one or the other. That feels like a false choice much like our elections do when we're told to choose a Republican or Democrat.

    With that said, Obama does have a very weird Magic Wand view of his power. He thinks he can just waive his magic pen and change reality. He has no concept of freakin Innovation of new ideas to solve problems. He just regulates it or throws money at it.
    The problem is that they consider CO2 to be dirty. They are not talking about some cancer causing compound or some other gas that will give our children asthma and at the same time block out the sun, they are targeting CO2 with this new policy change and that is what I have a problem with.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    "So, if somebody wants to build a coal plant, they can — it’s just that it will bankrupt them, because they are going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that’s being emitted". ~ Barack Hussein Obama 2008

    It's not like we weren't warned.
    Yeah and the saddest part is at least half of America is too stupid to realize how hard that will hit them monthly .

  16. #14
    Okay. I was mostly responding to what was mentioned regarding the CosmosTV show.

  17. #15
    Something needs to be done A.S.A.P. before the next crisis comes along.

    Maybe they can try reducing the nation's 120 VAC line voltage by 30%,
    but I don't think my refrigerator's compressor will run properly on only
    84 VAC. Maybe rolling blackouts are the answer.

    Should I throw out all my food now before the CO2 levels get too high,
    or should I wait for the next planet-saving directive?

  18. #16
    Electric cars aren't going to be so cheap to run in the future yet most users will just blame the companies for the high cost of electricity..... and democrats will get elected in the future by promising to sock it to these greedy electric companies....
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Nothing but redistribution of wealth from the everyday peons who consume energy to a variety of cronies and Wall St.
    Yep, if someone wants to actually do something, let them find viable alternatives. In the mean time, beating people over the head and taking most of their livelihood is not the way to advance anything but cronyism.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

    "nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

    "I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by I<3Liberty View Post
    Natural gas is certainly the lesser of the evils, but it's definitely not ideal.

    While I disagree with their method, I'm not entirely opposed to their goal. Driving up prices is what it's going to take to get the majority of Americans to be more conservative with resources. It's better to artificially do this earlier on than wait until we hit the point where there's not enough supply to meet our energy demand, insufficient viable alternative energy sources, and energy prices REALLY skyrocket. I'd rather see prices inflated with a tax that would go toward clean energy research.

    Climate change isn't the only concern. There is a lot of evidence the air pollution from current energy sources is increasing the prevalence of certain cancers, birth defects, respiratory diseases, and neurological disorders. These are extremely costly!
    Out of curiosity, how can you disagree with the method and then go on for a paragraph of how you agree with the end results?

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    The problem is that they consider CO2 to be dirty. They are not talking about some cancer causing compound or some other gas that will give our children asthma and at the same time block out the sun, they are targeting CO2 with this new policy change and that is what I have a problem with.
    On some newscast (can't remember the station), they had condensed and modified this story to say that "CO2 causes asthma in children, and President Obama is going to reduce CO2 emissions." At first I , then I , and finally I .
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

    Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Is there necessarily something wrong with an interest in Green Energy? I mean if it really does work and is not pseudoscience or a misguided policy?
    Green energy is great. But we don't need taxpayer money and crony oligarchs picking winners and losers in the market place.

    Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    I mean cleaner air is a good thing right? Or do we embrace a dirty environment because we think doing otherwise would cost jobs? I don't think we need to pick one or the other. That feels like a false choice much like our elections do when we're told to choose a Republican or Democrat.
    Clean air is a great thing. But when Obama is doing nothing for the environment and everything to enrich his cronies, it's not the same argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    With that said, Obama does have a very weird Magic Wand view of his power. He thinks he can just waive his magic pen and change reality.
    There was a woman (from the Obama Admin?) on a show talking about the benefits of this new regulation, and she brought up the cost of hurricanes and tornadoes as justification. They are claiming that they will regulate hurricanes out of existence.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

    Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  24. #21
    yep - global warming, er... climate change causes asthma. heard that one too.

    She was downplaying that costs would skyrocket, saying it's a right wing meme that is being spread around. That costs would rise no more than the costs of normal things like milk and would keep pace with inflation...

    uhhh....

    I also seen to clearly remember Obama saying on national TV that under his plan, energy costs would necessarily skyrocket...

    -t

  25. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    yep - global warming, er... climate change causes asthma. heard that one too.

    She was downplaying that costs would skyrocket, saying it's a right wing meme that is being spread around. That costs would rise no more than the costs of normal things like milk and would keep pace with inflation...

    uhhh....

    I also seen to clearly remember Obama saying on national TV that under his plan, energy costs would necessarily skyrocket...

    -t
    Well , milk up , probably 100 % since 07 and that is with price controls. No thanks govt , I do not need your wisdom or help .$#@! off .

  26. #23
    So here is what I posit to you guys:

    Assuming the premise of human-influenced Climate Change is real, and that projections of temperatures and sea levels rising is also true, would you still be opposed to a societal enforced effort to slow this process down by curbing emissions? Even if it would take 50 years to really see the progress? Or would the violation of your liberties be your #1 concern above all? Again, assume that the premise is true.

    I'm not trying to push people one way or the other, and to be pure liberty is not to be selfish, but I do see a lot of folks' dodging this tough question by a cop-out attack of its premise.

    For those that say the tech isn't there yet, Germany has broken several records lately with a net generation of 75% of its country's needs worth of renewable electricity(though they only used 25% of it domestically).
    Last edited by RabbitMan; 06-02-2014 at 12:20 PM.
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

  27. #24
    lets talk about sea levels rising for a second... where is all this extra water supposed to come from.

    anyone remember basic science in jr high school. You know that lecture on phase changes.

    take 100ml of water and add 100ml of water and it takes up 200ml of space.
    then take 100ml of liquid water and add 100ml of frozen water and it takes up 225ml of space...

    now we've got 2 really F'n huge ice cubes on the planet. If they melt, the 225ml of offset space becomes 200ml of space. That means more beach front property, not NYC turning into a submarine!

    I can believe liberals being stupid enough to believe this, considering the, ahem, stellar quality of education in this country, but when this BS is spouted by people that have earned science degrees and having letters after their name... SRSLY...

    -t



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    ALL economic activity relies on energy, and prices will go up across the board.

    This strikes me as an indirect dollar devaluation more than anything else.

  30. #26
    They say..as they fly to and fro in jets and drive in Tahoes and Suburbans.

  31. #27
    Yet the US Military remains the worlds largest polluter. Someone let me know when they cut back 30% mkay?

  32. #28
    Obama to Seek 30% Cut in Emissions at Power Plants
    I'd be happy with a 30% cut in "emissions" at the White House ...
    https://i.imgur.com/BwU46s8.png

    Libertarian Party Mises Caucus
    "The libertarian wing of the Libertarian Party."

    Platform · Our Actions

    Mises PAC
    (Libertarian Party membership not required)

    #TakeHumanAction · Donate · Merchandise


    HOME · Facebook · Twitter · YouTube

  33. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    lets talk about sea levels rising for a second... where is all this extra water supposed to come from.

    anyone remember basic science in jr high school. You know that lecture on phase changes.

    take 100ml of water and add 100ml of water and it takes up 200ml of space.
    then take 100ml of liquid water and add 100ml of frozen water and it takes up 225ml of space...

    now we've got 2 really F'n huge ice cubes on the planet. If they melt, the 225ml of offset space becomes 200ml of space. That means more beach front property, not NYC turning into a submarine!

    I can believe liberals being stupid enough to believe this, considering the, ahem, stellar quality of education in this country, but when this BS is spouted by people that have earned science degrees and having letters after their name... SRSLY...

    -t
    To play devils advocate, there is plenty of water held up in ice sheets above water. Whether that be the two big ice cubes or the significant amount of water held up in the glaciers. Not all the "ice" is in the water, hence the difference in densities. Still think that the illustrations showing the entire world drowning are nothing more than propaganda though.....although my 1k ft above sea level looks pretty good!!

  34. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    So here is what I posit to you guys:

    Assuming the premise of human-influenced Climate Change is real, and that projections of temperatures and sea levels rising is also true, would you still be opposed to a societal enforced effort to slow this process down by curbing emissions? Even if it would take 50 years to really see the progress? Or would the violation of your liberties be your #1 concern above all? Again, assume that the premise is true.

    I'm not trying to push people one way or the other, and to be pure liberty is not to be selfish, but I do see a lot of folks' dodging this tough question by a cop-out attack of its premise.

    For those that say the tech isn't there yet, Germany has broken several records lately with a net generation of 75% of its country's needs worth of renewable electricity(though they only used 25% of it domestically).
    Assuming global climate change is happening, I think the main rub is that it isn't being changed via our elected officials. Its being done via executive order and by a "letter agency" in the EPA. Now you have to go back to the assumption. To what extent is human involvement part of climate change & to what extent are you willing to change the economies of the world for something like it? How do you factor in the human variable to an equation that we don't know the outcome or even many of the variables and should we be making significant changes to how the world works because someone said so?

    I think most people would agree we've had some messed up weather over the past decade. I can say from personal experience that its warmer than it was when I was a kid, no doubt about it but it was dang COLD this past winter. Now attribute how much if any is attributable to humans burning nonrenewable fuels?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Nearly 50 USA Nuclear Power Plants Are Leaking Radioactive Tritium
    By markjacbs in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 10:23 AM
  2. Germany to permanently close all its nuclear power plants
    By doodle in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 09:23 PM
  3. Treason: Obama Shuts Down Power Plants Coast to Coast
    By ericsnow in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 01:52 PM
  4. G8 summit to seek 80 pct emissions cut by 2050
    By disorderlyvision in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-02-2009, 06:19 PM
  5. Power corrupts and only corrupt people seek power
    By dude58677 in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2007, 03:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •