Thread: Obama = Dexter?

Obama = Dexter?

Is that why everybody is ok with this whole al-Awlaki thing, because even though what Obama did was not legal, they have been convinced by the tv that it is morally justifiable and so we should accept it and even praise it?

Am I missing something?

edit: By "everybody" I mean the vast majority of public figures and politicians, except for Ron Paul, Rand Paul, Gary Johnson, etc..
    Last edited by dannno; 10-05-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I see a certain amount of truth in your equation. It has been a long process but you would only have to look back a generation to see how T.V. has changed and from there not much of a jump knowing how media influences. No more "Black-and-White" good guy captures the villain and delivers him to the courts just color and all its ugliness.

bump
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I guess I should have put al-Awlaki in the title, is Obama = Dexter really not provocative enough to get one single view in new posts these days?

I prefer comparing him to Hitler rather than Dexter, personally.

Judging by the fact that Dexter is popular, does this surprise you that people would think it's Okie dokie?
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever..... just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Judging by the fact that Dexter is popular, does this surprise you that people would think it's Okie dokie?
    The public is inundated with war propaganda - from the government, hollywood, the media, TV, etc. They have been taught to love murder as long as it's done by someone who is from the government.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt150 View Post
    I don't know if that analogy works very well as this was a targeted assassination against an individual who was demonized by the tv.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't think so because in the show, Dexter always finds DNA or other evidence that proves that the guy is guilty. No one has actually seen the evidence for Al-whatshisname, they are just taking the government's word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I don't think so because in the show, Dexter always finds DNA or other evidence that proves that the guy is guilty. No one has actually seen the evidence for Al-whatshisname, they are just taking the government's word for it.
    Well that was sort of part of the point, that on Dexter the tv uses a couple small pieces of evidence that seem to prove that they are guilty and everybody accepts it. I haven't watched the series in a while. They GENERALLY do a pretty good job of convincing the audience that the perp is in fact guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. We TRUST Dexter that he isn't muddying around with the DNA or blood evidence and that there is no other possible explanation for why it was found there or why the person was murdered. We trust solely in Dexter's judgement and what we as an audience are given is factual.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Well that was sort of part of the point, that on Dexter the tv uses a couple small pieces of evidence that seem to prove that they are guilty and everybody accepts it. I haven't watched the series in a while. They GENERALLY do a pretty good job of convincing the audience that the perp is in fact guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. We TRUST Dexter that he isn't muddying around with the DNA or blood evidence and that there is no other possible explanation for why it was found there or why the person was murdered. We trust solely in Dexter's judgement and what we as an audience are given is factual.
    It might be interesting to have a Dexter series where they go back and show how all of his perps that he murdered were innocent and he made up evidence to convince his own delusional mind, which represents his tv audience, that his murderous actions were justified.

We KNOW the killer is guilty because in addition to the evidence, they always admit it at the end when Dexter kills them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    We KNOW the killer is guilty because in addition to the evidence, they always admit it at the end when Dexter kills them.
    Hmm, ya, I guess Dexter would have to be delusional and you'd have to replay the real kill scenes to make that work.

Even without all that, I still think it's an interesting analogy.. it's not like the person on the tv really killed somebody in real life, the point was the tv convinced people and so now it's ok to kill them.
    Last edited by dannno; 10-05-2011 at 12:47 PM.

in Dexter's defense, he isn't even a cop; if he were, I'd have a BIG problem with that show: you can either be a cop or a vigilante -- not both (goes for presidents, too). would we even be discussing this, if it had been some random lab-geek who went postal on this guy, instead of the highest executive officer of the US Constitution?

Good point dannno. For the life of me I don't understand Dexter's popularity, especially here at RPF. And folks who don't think TV influences culture are just kidding themselves. (Rant off).
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntary Man View Post
    in Dexter's defense, he isn't even a cop; if he were, I'd have a BIG problem with that show: you can either be a cop or a vigilante -- not both (goes for presidents, too). would we even be discussing this, if it had been some random lab-geek who went postal on this guy, instead of the highest executive officer of the US Constitution?
    So if an IRS field agent guns someone down it's suddenly okay cause he's not a cop? But hey, to the folks that like Dexter more power to you....I guess.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is that why everybody is ok with this whole al-Awlaki thing, because even though what Obama did was not legal, they have been convinced by the tv that it is morally justifiable and so we should accept it and even praise it?

Am I missing something?

edit: By "everybody" I mean the vast majority of public figures and politicians, except for Ron Paul, Rand Paul, Gary Johnson, etc..
    I think a better discussion would be do you think Dexter's actions are morally justifiable?
    Last edited by John F Kennedy III; 10-06-2011 at 11:26 AM.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt150 View Post
    This. Pretty much the only difference is Obama hasn't killed 6 million Jews....yet.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    So if an IRS field agent guns someone down it's suddenly okay cause he's not a cop? But hey, to the folks that like Dexter more power to you....I guess.
    okay? no. different? yes.