Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How are YOU preparing for socio-economic collapse?

How are YOU preparing for socio-economic collapse?

I'm hoping this might be an insightful conversation.
    Please don't be afraid to reveal your "secrets".
    Come on - we're all lovers of Liberty.

That being said, personally - I feel that having a source of food is very important, and I've started by storing rice and tuna ($1/can at my local Wegman's). Other than that, I'm hoping I could start a large garden with stored seeds.

Besides that, I have a shotgun with lots of cheap ammo (Winchester Super-X), and an old 20 guage with almost no ammo.

Not the best plan.

Anyone have anything more elaborate? Comments on the necessity of certain goods, knowledge etc.?
    Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist.
    ~Edmund Burke

Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I just read gunny's thread when I need a reminder.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

You don't need to out run the bear...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Are you talking about the one concerning rifles, etc?
    Although that was a GREAT thread (and perhaps Sticky quality), I'm sort of going after a bigger picture...

or do you feel firearms are the most essential part of surviving socio-economic collapse?

And Danke, out run the bear? I'm lost, here...
    ~Edmund Burke

Μολὼν λαβέ

Haha nevermind, Danke. Gotcha.
    ~Edmund Burke

Μολὼν λαβέ

Get back soem of the money the government has taken without your consent and move to Louisiana where they will subsidize 80% of the cost of a solar PV system. For a 2 person household a 5kW system will be essentially a lifetime supply and your net cost will be around 4500. The ultimate defense against the coming energy inflation.

He who touches the inflation first, wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruehound View Post
    Get back soem of the money the government has taken without your consent and move to Louisiana where they will subsidize 80% of the cost of a solar PV system. For a 2 person household a 5kW system will be essentially a lifetime supply and your net cost will be around 4500. The ultimate defense against the coming energy inflation.

He who touches the inflation first, wins.

Ha, I could have $4500 in a couple years... but for now I have about 2k. And like yourself, I've been looking at New Hampshire - as I'm very close, New York State to be exact.

I appreciate the suggestion, though!
    ~Edmund Burke

Μολὼν λαβέ

Your preparation plans will likely be different depending upon how severe and/or prolonged you expect the $#@! to be when TSHTF. I found these pages insightful (and I bookmarked them):

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/01/m...-few-days.html

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=45774

http://the-moneychanger.com/commandments.phtml

You can make your own solar/sun oven pretty cheaply, but I bought this one when it was on sale for Christmas last year and I have zero buyers remorse about it. I've cooked with it and it's really easy. Works much better than I expected.

I stayed home when hurricane Ike blew through our area. We lived less than a week without power, groceries, utilities or basic services and it was rough. Towards the end, when some gas stations and businesses were starting to open again, people were driving around like maniacs to find gas/ice. People were very cordial and helpful if you met them face to face, but behind a windshield, something changes.
    I compiled a "brief" history of events since October 2008 that are defining the global currency war and the role that gold is playing:

Tin Foil Hats, Economic Reality and the Total Perspective Vortex

Also, have you contacted your Congressional Rep and asked them co-sponsor Ron Paul's Rep. Paul Broun Jr.'s HR 1098 77: Free Competition in Currencies Act?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Economic activity

The problem I see with most patriot's preparations is an emphasis on hoarding. That will be fine if trouble only lasts a few months. But what if the economy is in shambles for ten or twenty years? That is what I see coming. Unless you are a millionaire who can fill a warehouse, no conceivable hoarding scheme will suffice.

Some needs can be met with a stash of supplies - guns and ammo, first aid, tools, etc. But for continuing needs that cannot be met by hoarding - food, water, clothing etc. you need to find a way to replenish your supply. That means you need to figure out ways to either produce your own food and water or provide something of value to barter for food and water.

My advice is to acquire the tools, skills, and materials you will need to participate in a localized, low-tech economy. I also suggest figuring out how to harvest water and food from the environment.

I suggest learning how to grow food and tobacco or brew beer and make alcohol. You can buy everything else if you can manage to make those things from scratch. Basically make yourself profitable in the black market anywhere you go and be ready to be mobile.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Rather than take a low tech approach to food production, I would use the tech of solar powered hydroponics and better yet aquaponics so that you get a continuous harvest of fish as well.

Coffee grounds and organic scrap food feed your worm farm. Worm poop feeds your hydroponics. Hydroponics feeds you.

See....I always knew the world could run on coffee.

Yup, I have a large number of seeds stored, which I plant and recycle each year (ie I harvest my seeds). I also have contacts with several local farmers, and have standing contracts with them to preserve the leftovers from their farmer's markets for them in exchange for a cut of the goods. In addition, I have spent some considerable time, effort, and money on building up a "compound" for myself and my family with secure and/or sustainable buildings. Right now I'm building what amounts to an above-ground bunker--an apartment inside of a steel garage. You'd need a Sherman tank or a 50 caliber rifle to break into that place. After that is complete, I'm going to start construction on an Earthship nearby, which will be the sustainable portion. Both buildings are basically immune to any type of weather or disaster short of a direct hit by a F3 or higher tornado (the Earthship should be good up through a F4, being a half-dugout with an ultra-heavy roof).

In addition, you need to secure access to electricity (not vital, but it will make your life a LOT easier), transportation, and communication. If you have the space, I suggest planting crops that can be refined into biofuel and learn how to make it. Stock up on the necessary ingredients (methanol and lye). If you are in it for the LONG haul, you can learn how to distill methanol and how to make lye.

Personally, I think it would be easier to secure access to an all-electric vehicle and recharge it with your solar panels, or just get a horse (preferably two--then you get more free horses).

Also, composting toilets will save you a nightmare if your septic/sewer backs up after TSHTF. They aren't cheap, but they are cheaper than a new septic system. Your septic will last a lot longer if you only put liquids down there. Without solid waste, you also have the option of installing a greywater system.

Another good thing to do is buy yourself a few big water barrels. Use them to store food or water, but elevate them and put in spigot in the bottom, and you have yourself a nice solar shower. A hot shower is just the thing after a hard day of work, and will make it a lot less likely that you get sick.

And, of course, hoard guns, ammo, and gold and silver. Money is ALWAYS useful, and guns are ALWAYS good to have.

I am better prepared than anyone else in my state to harvest small fur bearers and small game which will provide both food and barter goods in an economic collapse.

I have been practicing the skills necessary to preserve my food, make sourdough bread, brew alcohol, run diesels on biofuels, skin and tan hides, raise crops, and barter with neighbors for goods and services. I'm getting really good at it.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

I have 3 chickens that currently produce more eggs than my wife and I can eat. We use feed right now, but in SHTF scenario they'd get lots of grass and fish.
    I live on the gulf so I'd probably be joining the huge mass of fishermen getting their dinner from the sea. I'm actually going out tomorrow on a charter to find the good spots and to stock up for a few months worth of fish.
    Since I can't build a well I started working on rainwater harvesting. I have a 250 gallon tank (which I'll probably up to 500 gallons). I still need gutters and piping/pumps to get those set up. I bought a water distiller to purify the water for drinking.
    After I have water set up I'll probably get started with solar.

My wife's not all that into preparation, but fortunately she hates the water company enough to go along with my crazy water scheme...and she's sick of our high electric bills.

I also planted several fruit trees. Mango, orange, apple, lemon, cacao and miracle fruit. Also an all-spice tree and have on order a cherry tree.

Our garden is kinda small and we're still in the expiramenting stage of gardening.

I think drinkable water is key though.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

I'm trying to get my girlfriend to get out of the dollars and the stock market, and into hard assets or commodities.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwar View Post
    I also planted several fruit trees. Mango, orange, apple, lemon, cacao and miracle fruit. Also an all-spice tree and have on order a cherry tree.
    Did your mango end up making through the cold weather?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krugerrand View Post
    Did your mango end up making through the cold weather?
    We're note sure...it's now a big twig plant with no leaves.

I might just go buy a larger mango tree that's closer to bearing fruit to replace it if it's dead.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Cool

Lots of people really working on sustainable living. That's good.

Yeah, this is awesome!
    Unfortunately, I'm severely short on funds compared to everyone else.
    I have $2300 coming in the mail sometime soon, but other than that I make about $700 a month.

I was planning on buying a rifle and about 1,000 rds of ammo with the $2,300 - but I've been reconsidering lately. I have no idea where to get started with any of this. That being said, I do recognize that I'm not able to be completely self-sufficient, and that the "hoarding" game plan wouldn't work out so well in the long run. At the same time, I think there could be heavy conflict and civil unrest in the beginning of our economic collapse, and that a rifle and all that ammo could serve me well. I guess.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should allocate my limited funds?
    ~Edmund Burke

Μολὼν λαβέ

rifle

Quote Originally Posted by crushingstep7 View Post
    Yeah, this is awesome!
    Unfortunately, I'm severely short on funds compared to everyone else.
    I have $2300 coming in the mail sometime soon, but other than that I make about $700 a month.

I was planning on buying a rifle and about 1,000 rds of ammo with the $2,300 - but I've been reconsidering lately. I have no idea where to get started with any of this. That being said, I do recognize that I'm not able to be completely self-sufficient, and that the "hoarding" game plan wouldn't work out so well in the long run. At the same time, I think there could be heavy conflict and civil unrest in the beginning of our economic collapse, and that a rifle and all that ammo could serve me well. I guess.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should allocate my limited funds?
    I think a rifle and a couple hundred rounds of ammo is imperative. Should also have a handgun so you can carry it concealed if you need out go out for food.

I don't know where you live, but if I lived in a heavy urban area and didn't have much of a stash of grub and such to anchor me, my plan "A" would be to bail out of the urban area totally and head to some place where there is more food and fewer people.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I think a rifle and a couple hundred rounds of ammo is imperative. Should also have a handgun so you can carry it concealed if you need out go out for food.

I don't know where you live, but if I lived in a heavy urban area and didn't have much of a stash of grub and such to anchor me, my plan "A" would be to bail out of the urban area totally and head to some place where there is more food and fewer people.
    I agree, those with limited funds in an urban area should be planning on a "head for the hills" approach. Get your Bug Out bag prepared, everything you need to survive in the wild, including a gun.

I'm in Rochester, NY - we have a higher murder per capita rate than New York City!
    I do have the bug out in mind, but I have a 1 month old daughter and I couldn't leave Momma Bear. So I guess my chances are slim, here. Sad times indeed, when good honest people are screwed by circumstances.
    ~Edmund Burke

Μολὼν λαβέ

I got some breakin news for yall and there aint gonna be no collapse. Ya know its all about money, and no one with money gonna let the world fall to $#@! so they can lose.

They will prop everything up as long as possible and prolong the agony for decades, 10+ yrs of stagflation.

And if people cant take it anymore, they will gladly come in and take over all means of production.

Those in power know if there is a collapse, there is a vacuum of power and a change in power. They own the media, have the money to spin this as 10 years of "slow growth" while securing their own financial positions, transfer our money to their accounts.

We need an intervention, like an addict does. Can't wait for rock bottom cause their wont be one. Like an intervention, we create a "false bottom".

Let's say this is our bottom, this is our collapse and start NOW diggin out.

Dont get addicted to the idea of a collapse and reset cause the man aint gonna let that happen.

How do I know? Cause that would have been my idea if i was chief cowboy in charge
    John Q. Revere
    Lead Messenger
    Restore the Los Angeles County Republic
    "Restore LA, Restore the Country"
    http://www.RestoreLA.us
    Twitter: RestoreLA / JohnRevere

- If we all focus our energies on LA County, the largest county in the country,
    we will achieve a resounding victory that will spread nationwide.

Join the Fight to Restore LA Today!

If you live in an urban area, I would probably get two handguns rather than a rifle. Get a good 9mm and a .22. The .22 will be easy for your missus to shoot, and the ammo is cheap as hell, so you can shoot it often. After that, you need to have a bail out bag in order, as well as a stockpile of food and water in case you can't get out of town, or if things get bad and you find yourself poor (probably along with everyone else). After that, just stockpile gold and silver as you can. Even a few pre-64 quarters is better than nothing, and may well get you passage across the country, or buy food when you are starving. I like to have only a small amount of gold for bribing border guards in case I need to leave the country (1oz per person should be more than adequate, but it should be in 1/4 oz coins), buy passage to Asia somewhere (about 1 oz each), and to start a new life (another 1-4 oz each). You should be able to hold that entire amount in your hand. That gold is your LAST RESORT. Don't spend it or sell it. You would be well served sealing it and a gun up in a pipe and burying it where it won't be found.

After you have at least 1 oz of gold for each member of your family, start buying some silver as well. Buy gold when gold is cheap compared to silver (VERY rare), and buy silver when it is cheap compared to gold (which is very much the case right now).

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    John, who is this Chief Cowboy immune to the Law of Unintended Consequences?

Tmosley - why the hell would I want to start a new life in Asia? That's just random to me... lol!
    ~Edmund Burke

Μολὼν λαβέ

I've started a BOB that has limited capabilities. Mostly just some first aid, a few glow sticks, some pistol and rifle ammo, a camel pack, change of clothes, tp, and duct tape. There are some other small things as well.

I own a few firearms and have some ammo around. I keep 3 cases of water bottles around at a time, and have well water access as long as the power stays up (gotta work on but I have not got the parents on board with it yet). At my parents house there is a small generator, and the capability to store large amounts of gasoline. My family is always ready for a brief "shtf" because we live in florida where hurricanes are a regular nuisance.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because thatís what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

One gun and one bullet. You can have the gun once Im done.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Spineless way out.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    I know it's easier to just end all the pain, but I don't think it would do much good for anyone. Things are already tough - we all know that, but killing yourself if things get worse is selfish and makes your immediate environment even more chaotic. If you want to put the people who know and care about you through that, that's your prerogative - but know there are consequences for everything you do. Eternal and otherwise.
    Last edited by crushingstep7; 03-06-2010 at 07:52 PM.
    ~Edmund Burke

Μολὼν λαβέ

Printing up Super dollars.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast