Thread: PBS NewsHour with Jim Lehrer Reports on the Federal Reserve

Thumbs up PBS NewsHour with Jim Lehrer Reports on the Federal Reserve

http://www-tc.pbs.org/newshour/rss/m...317_solman.mp3

Very interesting report!

Discussed: Gold Certificates, History of the Fed, Silver Coins, Gold coins,
    Paper Money And the Fed's role in Money creation, Treasury Borrowing, Treasury Bills, Notes and Bonds

Take a listen.
    Last edited by clb09; 03-17-2009 at 05:32 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've never heard of the Industrial Revolution being blamed as the catalyst for paper money since there wasn't "enough" gold. Isn't an increase in production and goods supposed to lead to a reduction in prices?
    Also, the ex-IMF guy said the US Mint prints the money, but to my knowledge it's actually the Bureau of Engraving & Printing.
    It's great to see PBS talking about gold, hyperinflation, and having John Williams of Shadowstats.com on. BTW over at The Real News there there's another interview with a (leftist) economist talking about hyperinflation:
    http://therealnews.com/t/index.php?o...4&jumival=3420

Great story, here's the video by the way, you might want to link this in the original post.
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/video/mo...17032009&seg=2

Just a quick plug... two of the guys in that segment have been on Bill Moyers Journal discussing similar issues. I really think Bill Moyers has the best program on TV right now, more people on this forum should definitely watch it.
    if modern agriculture continues to follow the path it's on now, it's finished. The food-growing situation may seem to be in good shape today, but that's just an illusion based on the current availability of petroleum fuels. All the wheat, corn, and other crops that are produced on big American farms may be alive and growing, but they're not products of real nature or real agriculture. They're manufactured rather than grown. The earth isn't producing those things.. petroleum is! -Masanobu Fukuoka

Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post
    I've never heard of the Industrial Revolution being blamed as the catalyst for paper money since there wasn't "enough" gold. Isn't an increase in production and goods supposed to lead to a reduction in prices?
    Also, the ex-IMF guy said the US Mint prints the money, but to my knowledge it's actually the Bureau of Engraving & Printing.
    The major changes to the economy during the industrial revolution made for price fluctuation, which was exacerbated deliberately by both speculators after a quick buck and the forces behind the Fed. Read William Jennings Bryan's 'Cross of Gold' speech. Also, I believe that, one, the mint mints coins and Engraving and Printing prints bills--both of which are money. If I remember correctly, they're both divisions of the Treasury and closely related anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BenisforRon View Post
    Just a quick plug... two of the guys in that segment have been on Bill Moyers Journal discussing similar issues. I really think Bill Moyers has the best program on TV right now, more people on this forum should definitely watch it.
    Moyer was the guy who had both Paul and Kucinich on during the campaign to talk about the MSM blackout. I say anyone who the playas in Congress would deliberately try to get fired can't be all bad.
    Because if someone doesn't "feel comfortable" with someone in this brave new middle school Official Culture, a death sentence is perfectly reasonable.

PBS is at it again today, talking about how the Fed just prints money and how there might be inflation:
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/busin...fed_03-18.html