Thread: Kyle Rittenhouse to be extradited to Wisconsin

Exclamation Kyle Rittenhouse to be extradited to Wisconsin

Kyle Rittenhouse Must Go to Wisconsin for Trial, Illinois Judge Rules

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/30/u...n-kenosha.html

By Mark Guarino Oct. 30, 2020, 6:00 p.m. ET

WAUKEGAN, Ill. — Kyle Rittenhouse, the Illinois teenager accused of killing two men during protests over a police shooting in Kenosha, Wis., will be tried in Wisconsin, a judge ruled on Friday.

Lawyers for Mr. Rittenhouse, 17, had been fighting extradition from his home state ever since he was charged with six criminal counts, including first-degree intentional homicide, for the shootings on Aug. 25 that left two protesters dead and a third injured.

The shootings occurred as fighting broke out between demonstrators, who were protesting a white officer’s shooting of Jacob Blake, a Black Kenosha resident, and armed civilians who said they were protecting businesses and private property after two nights of fires, looting and destruction.

Mr. Rittenhouse has said he acted in self-defense.

John Pierce, a lawyer for Mr. Rittenhouse, told Judge Paul B. Novak that the extradition documents were deficient because they were not signed in Wisconsin by a magistrate judge but were instead signed by deputy district attorneys in Kenosha.

“This is just wrong beyond a reasonable doubt,” Mr. Pierce said during a Friday hearing at the 19th Judicial Circuit Court in Waukegan, Ill.

In his six-page ruling, Judge Novak said the defense “offered no evidence” and added that supporting papers by Gov. J.B. Pritzker of Illinois and Gov. Tony Evers of Wisconsin “satisfy the facts necessary to the validity” of the extradition.

Mr. Pierce had also argued that Mr. Rittenhouse’s case was tainted by political forces on both the left and the right.

In the weeks following his arrest, Mr. Rittenhouse has become a minor hero within the most conservative elements of the Republican Party.

“I do believe from the bottom of my heart this is a political prosecution directed by high-ranking politicians in both states,” Mr. Pierce said. “There is fraud here.”

During the 20-minute hearing, Mr. Rittenhouse remained quiet. Dressed in a blue dress shirt, dark blue tie and gray face mask, he periodically scanned the courtroom. No family members were present.

It is unclear when Mr. Rittenhouse will be transferred to Kenosha County to stand trial. Mr. Pierce said in an interview that he would file an appeal on Monday. “This Illinois child must go free,” Mr. Pierce said.

Outside the courthouse, a small group of Black Lives Matter activists protested.

Clyde McLemore, founder of the organization’s local chapter, said he remembered Mr. Rittenhouse from the day of the shootings.

“He could have shot me,” he said. “He needs to be taken to Wisconsin. The crime was there.”
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No family members were present.
    When one of the Bolshevik mob goes to jail, their brothers in arms show up at hearings and trials and proceedings, inside and out, to provide, if nothing else, but moral support.

"We" can't get one single motherfucker to sit in on the hearing and provide some moral support for this poor kid?

Not one $#@!ing person?

Outside the courthouse, a small group of Black Lives Matter activists protested.

Clyde McLemore, founder of the organization’s local chapter, said he remembered Mr. Rittenhouse from the day of the shootings.

“He could have shot me,” he said. “He needs to be taken to Wisconsin. The crime was there.”
    Oh, but of course, the colored Marxists can.

It is unclear when Mr. Rittenhouse will be transferred to Kenosha County to stand trial.
    According to the Chicago Tribune, he is already there:

Kyle Rittenhouse sent to Wisconsin to face charges in Kenosha protest shootings
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...vo4-story.html
    Dan Hinkel (30 October 2020)

Lake County authorities on Friday afternoon handed off Kyle Rittenhouse to police in Wisconsin, where he faces charges stemming from the fatal shooting of two men and the wounding of a third during August protests in Kenosha, officials said.

Shortly after a judge ruled the Antioch 17-year-old should be extradited, Lake County sheriff’s deputies drove him to the border and passed him to deputies from the Kenosha County sheriff’s department, said Sgt. Christopher Covelli, of the Lake County sheriff’s office.

Rittenhouse — who is charged with murder and several other counts — was booked into the jail in Kenosha shortly after that, said Sgt. David Wright of the Kenosha County sheriff’s department. Rittenhouse’s lawyers had voiced concerns for his safety in an adult lockup, but Wright said the teen would be held in a cell for juvenile detainees at the facility.

Rittenhouse’s bond in Wisconsin previously had been set at $2 million, court records show. It was unclear whether there were plans to bail the teen out, and his lawyer, John M. Pierce, could not be reached for comment Friday night. Wisconsin court records did not indicate when the teen might first appear in court there.

[... CONTINUED AT LINK ...]
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Thanks for the update.

God, does this whole thing stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    No family members were present.
    When one of the Bolshevik mob goes to jail, their brothers in arms show up at hearings and trials and proceedings, inside and out, to provide, if nothing else, but moral support.

"We" can't get one single motherfucker to sit in on the hearing and provide some moral support for this poor kid?

Not one $#@!ing person?
    According to the Tribune article I linked to in my previous post:

Rittenhouse sat flanked by several police officers a few feet from his mother, Wendy Rittenhouse, [...]

I suspect the NY Times reporter was just phoning this one in. The Tribune article is longer, more detailed, and doesn't indulge in irrelevant asides such as "In the weeks following his arrest, Mr. Rittenhouse has become a minor hero within the most conservative elements of the Republican Party."

Also from the Tribune article (bold emphasis added):

Extradition proceedings typically are technical matters that don’t focus on the substance of the alleged crimes, but Rittenhouse’s lawyers have tried to block his transfer by arguing he fired in self-defense and is the target of a political prosecution.

In a filing, the teen’s lawyers indicated they might call his mother to testify “regarding the circumstances of his arrest.” That did not happen Friday, however, and his lawyers also did not call expert witnesses they had indicated they might put forth. Those witnesses had been expected to attack the investigation and probable cause for prosecution.

Pierce, one of the teen’s lawyers, announced at the start of the hearing that he would not be addressing the arguments he’d made in a previous filing that alleged extraditing Rittenhouse would violate his constitutional rights.

One of those arguments turned on the contention that sending the teen to Wisconsin would violate his 14th Amendment due process rights because he would face a “legion of hazards” if put in adult jail. The filing also argued that extradition would violate his Fourth Amendment right against unreasonable search or seizure, contending that the video shows “without a shadow of a doubt” he shot in self-defense.

During the hearing, however, Pierce focused entirely on a technical argument that the paperwork from Wisconsin didn’t meet the standard to return the teen. He said the documentation was insufficient because one Kenosha County prosecutor swore to the facts in the criminal complaint before another Kenosha prosecutor — rather than doing that before a magistrate.

“That is game, set, match, your honor,” Pierce said.

Assistant Lake County State’s Attorney Stephen Scheller rejected those concerns, noting the pile of other documents accusing the teen of crimes and calling for his extradition. Scheller noted that a Kenosha County prosecutor signed papers listing the charges before a judge in that jurisdiction and that Gov. J.B. Pritzker had signed a warrant calling for Rittenhouse’s extradition.

The paperwork provided “exactly what the law requires,” Scheller said.

The judge sided with prosecutors. Also, while Rittenhouse’s lawyers did not argue their points about his constitutional rights at the hearing, the judge addressed them because they’d been made in court filings. He wrote that questions about the merits of the charges and the teen’s rights were outside the scope of an extradition proceeding.

“These are matters that can be raised in Kenosha County, Wisconsin, through pretrial proceedings or during trial,” he wrote.

Following Novak’s ruling, Pierce vowed to appeal in a series of tweets. It is unclear whether Pierce knew when he posted the tweets that his client was handed over to Wisconsin authorities quickly after the ruling. [Jesus H. Christ!! - OB]

Chicago attorney Stephen Komie, who has handled numerous extradition matters, said appeals in extradition cases have no effect once a person has been transferred out of the jurisdiction. “The ballgame is over in Illinois and the next pitch is going to be thrown in Kenosha,” he said.
    IANAL, but I don't understand this quixotic and doomed attempt to prevent extradition. If I understand correctly, interstate extradition in the US can only be challenged on a few narrow bases (for example, when the charge is not a crime in the state from which extradition is being requested), none of which really apply here. All this business about "self-defense" and "Fourth amendment right[s]" and such are the kind of matters that are supposed to be addressed at trial, or at pre-trial hearings.

Robert Barnes is a lawyer - and he doesn't understand it either:

https://twitter.com/Barnes_Law/statu...96179799982080
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 10-30-2020 at 10:44 PM.

Why is it, we say, innocent till proven guilty and then they keep the innocent person in jail for months on end before they try to prove him guilty?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Why is it, we say, innocent till proven guilty and then they keep the innocent person in jail for months on end before they try to prove him guilty?
    Because in the minds of the leftists somebody is guilty by default.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    They should be made to pay the defendant for every hour he was kept confined against his will, after he is found not guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Not one $#@!ing person?

Oh, but of course, the colored Marxists can.
    EM.

To understand point you are trying to make... whose fault is that?

Politically, if MAGA base started wondering after initial lip service why KR didin't get same level of moral/legal support from anyone including MAGA leadership as some celebrity Americans did during court hearings, that could undermine KR supporters confidence in MAGA just before elections. When celeberity rap music star A$AP Rocky was facing court hearings, Trump not only morally supported him with a dozen strongly worded tweets but also sent top US official to pressure the courts and a foreign government for his immediate release.
    Or perhaps reason could be the location, if KR were facing court in a foreign country, may be MAGA faithfuls/POTUS would have done more to offer their moral support.

A$AP Rocky convicted of assault by Swedish court

By Lauren Said-Moorhouse and Per Nyberg, CNN
    Wed August 14, 2019

Stockholm, Sweden (CNN)US rapper A$AP Rocky has been found guilty of assault and handed a conditional sentence after he was involved in a street brawl in Stockholm.

The special envoy, Ambassador Robert O’Brien, was seen at Stockholm District Court in the morning.

Trump Just Hired the Guy He Sent to Free A$AP Rocky as His New National Security Adviser
    Sep 18 2019
    A hostage negotiator trained to deal with war-torn countries like Syria and Yemen, O'Brien was dispatched to Stockholm to #FreeRocky at Trump’s request in July. A month earlier, Rocky was arrested and detained for engaging in a street brawl in the nation’s capital, although the U.S. Embassy in Stockholm repeatedly called for his release.
    After Trump tweeted advocating for Rocky's freedom, O’Brien threatened “negative consequences” in a diplomatic letter released by the Swedish Prosecution Authority. Rocky was later found guilty of assault but avoided any further jail time and returned to the U.S. Critics saw O’Brien’s arrival as inappropriate, considering he was intervening in an allied country’s affairs, according to the Washington Post.

White House Says Trump Won't Comment On Kyle Rittenhouse case
    huffpost
    Aug 31, 2020

Internal document shows Trump officials were told to make public comments favorable to Kyle Rittenhouse
    nbcnews
    Oct 1, 2020

I am hoping for a good Judge,,
    First Appearance,, "Justifiable Homicide".

Gavel Down Hard.

seen it once
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    To understand point you are trying to make... whose fault is that?
    Apples and bowling balls to compare the two cases.

I would not expect a political figure to "lead" on this, especially from "our" side, as too many on "our" side are too scared, and would just end up mumbling into their beards, gazing at their navels or sniffing each other's asses.

That said, poo poo on me as well, as always, I'm just as guilty when I pen one of these rants: how much more could I have done?

Well, plenty...I could reach out to his legal team, find out when these hearings are taking place, try to co-ordinate with someone local on the ground there, or at worst, get my ass in my truck and head on out there myself.

There is plenty all of us can do, and we goddamned well better start doing it.

HL-74: Kyle Rittenhouse EXTRADITED! What's Next? Viva & Barnes HIGHLIGHT
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6frUeVjCd1U

Last Friday (October 30, 2020), Kyle Rittenhouse had his extradition hearing. This is the breakdown of the arguments that were raised, the outcome, and what's next.

Kyle Rittenhouse ordered held on $2M bail in Kenosha
    https://nypost.com/2020/11/02/kyle-r...il-in-kenosha/
    Jorge Fitz-Gibbon (02 November 2020)

Kenosha shooter Kyle Rittenhouse was ordered held on $2 million cash bail Monday during his first court appearance on homicide charges in the Wisconsin city.

Loren Keating. a court commissioner who presided over the hearing, ruled that Rittenhouse, who fled to his home in Illinois after the fatal shooting of two protesters, represented a serious flight risk.

“The charges are incredibly serious and again, if a conviction occurs there would be a likelihood of an imposition of a mandatory life sentence or at least significant amounts of time, likely decades of a period of incarceration,” the judge said. “I believe that there’s a reasonable basis to flee.”

The live-streamed court appearance marked the first time the teen was in Kenosha since [Aug. 25 ...]

[...]

He appeared in court on Friday in Antioch, Illinois, and was extradited to Wisconsin, where he faces homicide charges in Kenosha.

He is due to return to court on Dec. 3.

This poor kid has been thrown to the wolves. He deserves a hell of a lot better.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    That's par for the course and has been that way for as long as I can remember. It's got nothing to do with "left" or "right." Go to any criminal courtroom anywhere in the U.S. and you will find people black and white, liberal and conservative, in orange jumpsuits and in shackles awaiting trial. By the way, it's the Tucker Carlson of the world who are demanding that cash bail systems stay in place. Kyle's cash bail is set a $2 million.

See: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...on/ar-BB1aE9lN

A bail / bond company will usually charge a non-refundable 10% or in this case $200,000. Even though GoFundme took down the campaign for Kyle, $900,000 were raised for him on other sites.

See: https://pulpitandpen.org/2020/09/01/...ete-campaigns/

That means that Kyle has the funds to be out of jail right now. So why isn't he? I don't know. But if he takes a plea deal (he'll likely be convicted on the weapons charge), then he's racking up day for day time while he's in jail. Sometimes you can rack up 2 for 1 time if the jail conditions are less than spectacular. (Overcrowding for example.)
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Free the Patriot Rittenhouse!

- ML

Meanwhile, as Kyle Rittenhouse sits in jail ...

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1324005300442116097