Thread: RIP Nicholas Sanchez

Unhappy RIP Nicholas Sanchez

My friend Rico Nicholas Sanchez passed away last night. I'm still in shock.

I first met Nicholas when working in Dr. Paul's office and he had me on as a guest on his TV show (so I could bash the IMF) at the Free Congress Foundation. I went to work there afterwards where he indulged by incessant promotion of Dr. Paul and libertarianism at a socially conservative organization (and was a constant defender). We stayed friends long after both of us had moved on and were working together to plan some future projects.

Another former colleague of ours from FCF just called me and directed me to his Facebook page. Here was the announcement post:

From Deacon Paul Leonarczyk: The servant of God, Nicholas Sanchez, reposed in the Lord this evening, 29 July 2009, in Monterey, California. O Christ God, with the Saints grant rest to the soul of your servant, Nicholas,in a place where there is no pain, no grief, no sighing, but everlasting life.
    My review of the For Liberty documentary:
    digg.com/d315eji
    (please Digg and post comments on the HuffPost site)

"This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a 'War President', and his positioning of the Republicans as the 'War Party'."

Nicholas Sanchez on Bush's legacy, September 30, 2007.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My deepest sympathies for you and all of his friends and family. I know it is a tough time and if you need anyone to vent to my PM box is always open.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Quote Originally Posted by jdmyprez_deo_vindice View Post
    My deepest sympathies for you and all of his friends and family. I know it is a tough time and if you need anyone to vent to my PM box is always open.
    Thank you. He was only in his early 30s. I'm at a loss.
    digg.com/d315eji

"This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a 'War President', and his positioning of the Republicans as the 'War Party'."

Here was my last post before Tom called me:

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley in DC View Post
    Oh, I know I have truther and birther friends who disagree with me. Yet, amazingly, we recognize each other as human beings with lots of traits (good and bad--all subjectively held). The relationships in our lives aren't reduced to such silliness as disagreements over these kinds of issues.
    <searching for some meaning in this news>

I hope this wake-up call jolts some of us to keep some perspective. Life is short. Sometimes way too short and unexpectedly short. I have made great friendships here--including with some with whom I disagree on many issues of substance and style. Those differences pale in comparison to what we share together (no matter how heated the exchanges, the differences of opinion or our sometimes lack of civility).

This may be my last post for a bit.
    digg.com/d315eji

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley in DC View Post
    Here was my last post before Tom called me:

<searching for some meaning in this news>

I hope this wake-up call jolts some of us to keep some perspective. Life is short. Sometimes way too short and unexpectedly short. I have made great friendships here--including with some with whom I disagree on many issues of substance and style. Those differences pale in comparison to what we share together (no matter how heated the exchanges, the differences of opinion or our sometimes lack of civility).

This may be my last post for a bit.
    I think many of us have always viewed life as a destination and not a journey. Hopefully this post will help us reevaluate the bigger picture and experience life in the present.
    "You know not what you are given, but forever will you know what has been taken away from you..."

"As long as we live beyond our means we are destined to live beneath our means." - Ron Paul at a CNBC Debate in Michigan (10/09/07)

There will be a memorial service tomorrow night in Falls Church, VA. If anyone is interested in details, please email me.
    digg.com/d315eji

digg.com/d315eji

That...sucks...
    I'm sorry to hear about this, Bradley.
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh Bradley, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear, man. losing a friend is a tough thing, my thoughts are with you.

digg.com/d315eji

digg.com/d315eji

digg.com/d315eji

He had just gotten married earlier this year

digg.com/d315eji

Thank you all for your expressions of sympathy (here and privately).

Look around at our friends here and in your life. Remember we could lose them unexpectedly.
    digg.com/d315eji

I'm so sorry you lost your friend.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here is an older bio of him:

Nicholas Sanchez is the Director of Development for The Cardinal Newman Society (CNS), a nonprofit dedicated to the reform and renewal of Catholic higher education. He comes to CNS with over a decade’s worth of fund-raising experience.

In 1997 Mr. Sanchez worked as an assistant for Gary L. Bauer’s Campaign for Working Families, a pro-family, pro-life political action committee. The following year he was hired on at the Free Congress Research and Education Foundation, an organization where he was tasked with a myriad of duties, including grant writing and event coordinating. During this time, Mr. Sanchez also took on policy and program responsibilities, writing a weekly column for FCF’s Notable News Now, co-hosting the syndicated television program Next Revolution, and serving as an Associate Producer for the daily television talk show, Direct Line with Paul Weyrich.

Paul Weyrich, Free Congress’s founder and President, later personally elevated Mr. Sanchez to the position of Director of Development. Mr. Sanchez held this post till 2002, when he entered the Monastery of the Holy Cross—a Byzantine Slavonic-rite monastic community located in the nation’s capital—and spent two years there discerning a vocation as a monk for the Studite (Ukrainian rite) order.

After returning to the secular world in 2004, Mr. Sanchez was recruited by Dr. Peter V. Sampo to head up the fund-raising efforts for The Thomas More College of Liberal Arts, one of the colleges cited in The Newman Guide to Choosing a Catholic College.

Mr. Sanchez is a resident of Falls Church, Virginia, a parishioner of Holy Transfiguration Melkite Greek-Catholic Church in McLean, Virginia, and engaged to Miss Doris Schepian.
    digg.com/d315eji

Nicholas on Bush's Legacy

http://www.takimag.com/blogs/article...ust_and_ashes/

The Bush Legacy: Dust and Ashesby Nicholas Sanchez on September 30, 2007

Sixteen months from now, when they sit upon the ground to tell sad stories of the death of kings, scores of Republican chieftains will no doubt take a deep sigh of relief at seeing the back of George W. Bush as he sallies off to a Crawford-bound retirement. Although dedicated partisans will forever remain grateful for his depriving Al Gore the presidency, GOP wise men will be left to ponder: What, ultimately, is the legacy Bush 43 leaves behind?

The answer, from a political and philosophical standpoint, should disturb them greatly.

Politically, Republicans are rudderless. Morale among activists is the lowest it’s been since Watergate’s nadir. Many conservatives have resigned themselves to the inevitability of Madam President. And barring sundry self-deluded pontificators on talk radio, no serious political prognosticator can envisage a scenario wherein Republicans will be able to recapture either chamber of Congress in 2008—especially the Senate, where prospects look frightfully bleak.

Democrats, with two Independents caucusing with them, hold a 51 to 49 advantage over the Republicans. With a third of the Senate facing the voters in 2008, nary a Democrat appears to be vulnerable for reelection. Meanwhile, conniption fits abound at the Republican Senate Committee over the possibility of losing the following five seats:

In Colorado, Wayne Allard—a competent, conservative public servant in the mold of his predecessor William Armstrong—is retiring after two terms in office. He never garnered more than 51% of the vote, and Colorado has been trending blue the past few election cycles.

Norm Coleman of Minnesota bested Walter Mondale in 2002 with an exiguous 49.53% of the vote. Ever since he’s been a favorite target of left-wing activists like Al Franken, who is seeking to oust him.

Nebraska’s Chuck Hagel, the Upper Chamber’s lone Republican opponent of the Iraq War, has apparently tired of playing the role of pariah and joins Allard in voluntarily packing it in. Though Nebraska is as red a state as any, former Democratic Governor and Senator Bob Kerry looks poised to usurp this seat.

Past Democratic Governor Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire recently threw her hat in the senatorial ring, and may very well deny John Sununu a second term. Her marked advantage is that, as of late, the Granite State has begun aping the rest of New England’s voting habits

And though Republican John Warner never gave much joy to conservatives in Virginia, his impending retirement will do little to prosper their fortunes. Democrat Mark Warner (no relation), widely popular in the Commonwealth, offers his party its first real chance of claiming both Senate seats since 1965.

This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a “War President”, and his positioning of the Republicans as the “War Party”. Anyone doubting the veracity of this assessment should review 20th Century history.

In 1920, two years after the close of The Great War, Republicans snatched the presidency from the Democratic Party of Woodrow Wilson and held Congressional majorities. The Party of Lincoln would duplicate this trifecta feat of power in 1924, 1928, and 1952, and then not again until January 20, 2001.

In 1945 and 1946, fatigued by the theatre in Europe and Asia, voters in Great Britain and the United States sacked their respective war parties: the Tories and Democrats. In England, Churchill had to hand over the premiership to Clement Attlee; in America, Republicans retook the House and Senate.

In 1968, LBJ, stymied by the debacle in Vietnam, was hounded from office by his own party. Richard Nixon finally realized his life’s ambition and became president by running as a peace candidate.

In 1992, George Bush (41), fresh from an Operation Desert Storm victory, managed to garner less than 38% of the vote against a small-state governor, one tainted by both personal and financial scandals, and an unhinged Texas businessman.

If a trend is to be observed it is thus: civilized societies are repelled by the trammels of war, even just wars. While our brave young have always proved their mettle, queuing up to wage battle against ravaging hordes—disquieting Germans, twice, Koreans, Vietcong, and insurgent Iraqis—ultimately, the country entrusts its governance to the “peace and prosperity” party.

By casting the Republicans as the War Party in an unnecessary police action in Iraq, Bush has placed the GOP on history’s losing side. For this they shall pay exceedingly, now and in the years to come.
    Last edited by Bradley in DC; 08-04-2009 at 08:41 PM.
    digg.com/d315eji

Last night several of us got together in remembrance of Nicholas, said some prayers and then shared stories. The first ones were very reverent, but as the night wore on, we got to know each other better ... and the kids went to bed, so we got to open up more--at that point we were all adults.

So, in honor of my friend, I'll share one of my later in the evening stories:

When I met Nicholas, it was as a guest on his TV show so he was very proper (dress, language, manner, etc.). He was a very dapper dresser (another told the story of Nicholas going shooting in a pressed white dress shirt...) and extremely meticulous about language (many of us here are). In many ways, he was very formal and concerned that protocol be respected.

So when I started working at Free Congress after Dr. Paul's office, I was already concerned about a libertarian working at a socially conservative outfit. I knew a few people there I had worked with, but those experiences only confirmed my uneasiness on that score (and I knew Weyrich hated South Park).

Very soon after I started there, Nicholas came in my office, pulled me out and dragged me to Lisa's office unannounced and unexpectedly for her and closed the door behind him. She started to ask what was up, and he started waving his finger at her computer, "open it, open it." (He had sent her an email with an audio attachment/link.)

So she played it:
    http://www.nailmaster.ru/$#@!.html

We all laughed so hard we nearly wet ourselves. For me, under these circumstances, it was all the more funny. Nicholas was just being Nicholas--and making sure the new guy knew he should feel at home and welcomed. (I'm sure many of our other co-workers would not have appreciated the audio--or our playing it over and over...)

I miss him.
    digg.com/d315eji

Sorry for your loss, Bradley.

================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights