Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lew Rockwell turns down VP spot on Louisiana Taxpayers Party ticket

Lew Rockwell turns down VP spot on Louisiana Taxpayers Party ticket

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewr...es/022467.html

Paul/Rockwell?
    Posted by Lew Rockwell at August 24, 2008 11:33 AM

Writes Trent Hill: "Last week, there was much excitement over the news that an independent ticket featuring Michael Bloomberg and Ron Paul would be placed on the ballot in Virginia. This was eventually shot down because the ticket was to be replaced by the Constitution Party's ticket.

"Now, in Louisiana, a similar but more exciting thing is happening. Constitutionalists, Libertarians, Republicans, and Independents have gotten together and formed an elector-slate to place Ron Paul/Lew Rockwell on the ballot. Although this is not finalized yet, it seems a certainty. The new entity placing Paul/Rockwell on the ballot is the Louisiana Taxpayers Party, a completely Indepedent state party expressing fidelity to the principles of the Constitution, and of un-restricted free trade.

"Mr. Rockwell, we hope that you will permit us to place your name on the ballot beside heroic constitutionalist Ron Paul. We feel that you've done much in the service to Liberty and recieved little in return. You needn't sign any paperwork or even agree to be on the ballot."
    If you refuse, we hope you'll help us find a suitable Vice-Presidential candidate."

Trent, you do me great honor by including me with Ron Paul, but I cannot accept your very kind offer. But I love the idea of having Ron on the ballot in Louisiana!
    Me thinks he's taking a bullet for the team because of the newsletters. If not for them and the speculation swirling around him, he most likely would have accepted.

So who should be the VP? My pick is Judge Napolitano.

Paging Torchbearer...
    Last edited by SneakyFrenchSpy; 08-24-2008 at 11:30 AM.
    "There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

And that I think, was the handle. That sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave." ~ HST

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why would you say that? If you understood his philosophy you would understand why he doesn't want to be associated with running for the position of president. I really don't think Rockwell will ever run for anything. He's been in Washington once and hated it. I don't blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyFrenchSpy View Post
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewr...es/022467.html

Me thinks he's taking a bullet for the team because of the newsletters. If not for them and the speculation swirling around him, he most likely would have accepted.

So who should be the VP? My pick is Judge Napolitano.

Paging Torchbearer...

I haven't heard of this before now. Trent Hill used to email our meetup about these things but we haven't heard anything from him since our Convention.

John Breaux would get press and votes in louisiana.
    Paul/Breaux?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

they need to hurry up and decide. they have until the 2nd.
    perhaps they should call me if they need help.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

I can see Lew in a Vice Presidential debate explaining why he DOESN'T VOTE>
    Hear Congressman Paul's weekly legislative update toll free 888-322-1414

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyFrenchSpy View Post
    ...It's a novelty ticket. It's not like anyone is going to scrutinize Rockwell or demand explanations for politically damaging events in his past. It'd be something for Paul people to vote for.

He has no interest in entering the political scene, especially in DC, so he asked that they don't make it look like he is interested.

I am not shocked at all he has said in the past before, "if asked to run I would decline if voted in I would resign." He has not voted in decades, he did not even vote for Ron Paul in the primary. Lew Rockwell is a great guy and stands by his beliefs just like Ron Paul stands by his.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ahem, REAL libertarians don't run for public office.<IMHO>

Quote Originally Posted by MGreen View Post
    ...It's a novelty ticket. It's not like anyone is going to scrutinize Rockwell or demand explanations for politically damaging events in his past. It'd be something for Paul people to vote for.

He has no interest in entering the political scene, especially in DC, so he asked that they don't make it look like he is interested.
    If it is a novelty then put Pat Buchanan on it. He'd be GREAT

bump

Brent, Could someone running on the GOP ticket get on this Tax payers party? It would still be considered a third party?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    Brent, Could someone running on the GOP ticket get on this Tax payers party? It would still be considered a third party?
    The tax payers party is actually filing as an independent slate, not as a party.
    they will appear on the ballot as "no affiliated party", so it doesn't matter what party the candidates belong to...

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    The tax payers party is actually filing as an independent slate, not as a party.
    they will appear on the ballot as "no affiliated party", so it doesn't matter what party the candidates belong to...
    How do we hop on this? Is there someone we can contact?

You can contact me, Trent Hill, at thill19@lsu.edu

I didnt realize this whole thing had gone public yet, and I'd be more than happy to have some help on it.

Brent/Sandra - I'd love some help, we need to find a few electors and a filing fee. Please email me and I'll explain the full details of the thing.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As for who the VP candidate is actually going to be: Whatever candidate we select must be ohk with being placed on the ballot. If he requests to be taken off, not only will HIS name be removed--but so will our entire ticket. So...we need some suggestions of VPs who will attract Republicans who are dissatisfied with McCain, who will let us put their name on the ballot, and who have name recognition.

To answer Sandra's question,

This is an unaffilliated presidential-only ticket. But, if we score 5% in the election in November, it will qualify as an officially recognized party. In that unlikely scenario, we'll hold a convention and decide what to do from there.

We're also going to need someone who can design and maintain a simple website.

Sent you an email. I'll do what i can.

I emailed you with a couple of questions. This makes me hopeful we can accomplish something!

I could have put ron paul on the ballot, i just didn't think he would want it.
    I very well could be wrong. I don't see him rejecting it after the campaign response to Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    I could have put ron paul on the ballot, i just didn't think he would want it.
    I very well could be wrong. I don't see him rejecting it after the campaign response to Virginia.

I was hoping the Virginia thing was a light in the tunnel. I mean he didn't reject the idea.

You have a few options I would say.

The one that would grab the most votes would probably be Paul/Buchanan. If you could swing ole Pat's ok, it would be worth it.

A couple other decent ones:

Napolitano(the judge) that RP mentioned as a possible running mate

Goldwater Jr., just b/c his last name would probably be remembered

Ventura would be nice if you could get it for swinging liberals

If it wouldn't conflict with his congressional campaign, dick heller's name would work too, considering the Supreme Court case.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Buchanan, Goldwater Jr., and Ventura are all being considered--but Buchanan and Goldwater are the frontrunners.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotdown1027 View Post
    Buchanan, Goldwater Jr., and Ventura are all being considered--but Buchanan and Goldwater are the frontrunners.

I was thinking that because of Buchanan's media job, he might be more interested in keeping his job. But after seeing him become more angered at the Russia/Georgia conflict and how the press was treating it, maybe he would willing to quit and run for office. He really acted sick and tired of it.

Goldwater is a great chouce too.

bump

Buchanan would not need to quite his job--because it isnt an active campaign or even something he agreed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotdown1027 View Post
    Buchanan would not need to quite his job--because it isnt an active campaign or even something he agreed to.
    Wouldn't they have to agree to accert them though?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast