Thread: Berkeley Removes 20,000 Free Online Videos to Comply with Insane Department of Justice Ruling

Berkeley Removes 20,000 Free Online Videos to Comply with Insane Department of Justice Ruling

The handicappers general in the Department of Justice strike again: the University of California, Berkeley, is deleting a massive amount of free, online content in order to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Berkeley previously housed an online library consisting of more than 20,000 videos of lectures. These videos were free and accessible to the public. But they are free no longer: next week, administrators will withdraw access to anyone who isn't a Berkeley student or professor.

Why? Because the federal government left them no other choice.

Two employees of Gallaudet University—a school for the deaf in Washington, D.C.—filed a complaint with DOJ alleging that Berkeley's online content was inaccessible to the hearing-disabled community. After looking into the matter, DOJ determined that Berkeley had indeed violated the Americans with Disabilities Act, according to Inside Higher Ed.

Berkeley had two choices: spend a fortune adding closed captioning to the videos, or remove them from public view. Cost-conscious administrators chose the latter option.

I can't imagine the authors of the ADA intended to destroy a valuable public resource because it wasn't perfectly accessible to all, but here we are. Taking the quality out of equality: that's clumsy federal regulation for you.
    http://reason.com/blog/2017/03/07/be...ee-online-vide
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Without government who would...

Article title: How disability law went nuts: Column

And it has actually been a disaster at helping the disabled find work.

Good intentions are no excuse for perpetual legal chaos. The Americans with Disabilities Act promised a bright new era of equality and freedom. Instead, it has spawned endless lawsuits and absurd federal decrees while harming some of the people it sought to relieve.

The 1990 ADA defined disability as “a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities” — a far broader definition that what previously prevailed in the statute book. In 2008, Congress vastly expanded that definition to include people with diabetes, depression, heart disease, or cancer, as well as people who have significant troubles standing, lifting, bending, reading, concentrating, thinking and communicating.

The ADA is known as “attorney’s dreams answered” because it, and similar state laws modeled on the law, have spurred hundreds of thousands of lawsuits, often for violations of arcane architectural standards. As early as 1995, one federal judge denounced an ADA case as "a blatant attempt to extort additional money" — something for which the law is now notorious. A California P.F. Chang's restaurant was reportedly sued because the coat hook on the inside door of an accessible toilet stall was at an improper height. One convicted child molester in California has filed hundreds of cases. The New York Times reported in 2012 that the ADA had unleashed a “flood of lawsuits” against New York City delis, bagel shops, flower shops and other businesses that many people considered nothing more than “ambulance-chasing.”

President Obama declared last week that “thanks to the ADA, the places that comprise our shared American life — schools, workplaces, movie theaters, courthouses, buses, baseball stadiums, national parks — they truly belong to everyone.” But workplaces do not “belong to everyone” — they are mostly privately owned. Even so, the feds have often used the ADA to commandeer them. For instance, the Justice Department dictated exactly how miniature golf courses must be configured and slanted for the ease of wheelchair users.

Many ADA decrees defy common sense. The Los Angeles Disabled Access Appeals Commission invoked the ADA to force the Odd Ball Cabaret, a strip joint, to close a shower stall on its stage. The commission ruled that because the stall would not be accessible to a stripper in a wheelchair, the business discriminated against disabled women. It didn’t matter that there were no wheelchair-bound strippers.

Though many Americans initially supported the ADA to help people with severe physical handicaps, claims of mental, emotional and psychological handicaps have exploded thanks to the law. A federal court ruled in 2013 that anxiety over potentially getting fired qualifies as a sufficient disability — thus making terminating an underperforming teacher a violation of the ADA. An Ohio high school teacher claimed she was disabled by “pedophobia” (fear of children) and unable to accept reassignment at a middle school (a federal appeals court disagreed). Many colleges have been roiled by masses of students claiming to be disabled by little more than fear of hard work or bad grades.

The ADA has made it far more difficult for employers to deal with alcohol-abusing employees who could pose a threat to themselves, co-workers or customers. An Oregon police officer who was fired after he crashed his car while intoxicated sued for $6 million in damages, claiming the ADA protected him because of his alcoholism. The ADA also spurred Northwest Airlines to rehire an airplane pilot who had been fired after being caught flying a passenger jet while legally drunk.

Obama declared, “The ADA offered millions of people the opportunity to earn a living and help support their families.” But the ADA has actually been a disaster at helping the disabled find work and become financially self-reliant. For all the legal battles and government action, the percentage of disabled people who are employed has hasn't changed much since the ADA was enacted. A Massachusetts Institute of Technology study concluded that the ADA reduced employment of disabled men of all working ages and all disabled women younger than 40.

While the feds are twisting arms to try to boost disabled employment, federal disability payments under other laws subvert that goal by rewarding people with borderline conditions to stay out of the workforce and enjoy tax-free income. Obama’s Social Security Administration is more likely to considered Puerto Ricans disabled and, thus, entitled to disability payments if they lack English skills — even though most of the work on that island is conducted in Spanish, which, like English, is the official language there.

American attitudes toward the disabled have become far more compassionate, humane and rational in the past half-century. The ADA, by sowing so much unnecessary conflict, threatens this progress. It is time to admit that relying on a federal iron fist has subverted freedom and badly served America’s disabled.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...uits/30702519/

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I recently read an article about the mother of a disabled child (in the UK) fighting the minimum wage laws because her daughter had a little job she liked but they couldn't keep her and the other disabled people on because of the laws. Of course, she was only asking that disabled programs get minimum wage exemptions but still..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

The employment rate of the disabled has actually gone way down.

Employing the disabled was never a problem. People -- by virtue of being normal, sympathetic humans -- would generally give preference to a disabled man who applied for a job he could do. Discrimination, I know! And not just sympathy, but also respect for the strength of character in overcoming a difficulty, a strength that could make them a very valuable asset to the employer.

There was no conspiracy of discrimination against the disabled! There never had been! The ADA was a solution for a problem that did not exist and never would exist.

Never could, that is, until the ADA. Now there's lots of discrimination against the disabled, because if you stupidly hire a disabled person they then have a wedge to sue you for everything you're worth and destroy you. Because you're not giving them 30 minute bathroom breaks every hour. Or because you fire them -- for any reason! Or didn't promote them. Or because you wouldn't hire an extra person to transcribe the phone calls so that the deaf person could be your phone receptionist.

Much easier to just quietly dump the application in the trash without saying anything. Much smarter. Much safer. And much cheaper.

Thanks, ADA!

Doubleplus good for Berkeley.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Doubleplus good for Berkeley.
    Is Berkeley Federal tax dollar funded or state tax dollar funded ? Because I do not see how students enrolled and living in DC have standing to sue a state tax funded school ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Is Berkeley Federal tax dollar funded or state tax dollar funded ? Because I do not see how students enrolled and living in DC have standing to sue a state tax funded school ?
    When it comes to federal and state funding, Berkeley is mostly federal funded.

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2017/0...deral-funding/

Of course, it gets most of its total funding from non-federal sources.
    Last edited by MRK; 03-11-2017 at 03:14 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MRK View Post
    Berkeley is majority federal-funded

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2017/0...deral-funding/
    Ahhh . Looks like they went the best route then . My guess is the two prick deaf kids at the DC school are planning on a tax tick govt career .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    ... the two prick deaf kids at the DC school

You deafist!!!!!

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Universities receive federal funding not for free, but for doing something in exchange...research. The state of California literally gives Berkeley money for "free", to help with tuition. The vast, vast majority of federal funding comes to the school because of the research that they do.

Just like Ron Paul receives money from SS for all that he put into it, or how the government paid for his medical degree under the GI bill. There were no handouts; the money is/was "earned".

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No. View Post
    Universities receive federal funding not for free, but for doing something in exchange...research. The state of California literally gives Berkeley money for "free", to help with tuition. The vast, vast majority of federal funding comes to the school because of the research that they do.
    U.C. Berkeley also helps the CIA and the Ford Foundation overthrow sovereign governments (very long but SOOO worth it article):

http://la.utexas.edu/users/hcleaver/...untryTable.pdf

If Cal Berkeley cut all the crap, then they would get by fine on private donations. Same with higher education in general.

http://vcresearch.berkeley.edu/berke...search-numbers

WTF? Earth to Trump. If there is ever a time to show you are going to knock down nutso regulations, this is it.

Hey, did nobody ever thing to tell Gallaudet University that if they wanted the videos captioned they could pay to have it done?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    WTF? Earth to Trump. If there is ever a time to show you are going to knock down nutso regulations, this is it.

Hey, did nobody ever thing to tell Gallaudet University that if they wanted the videos captioned they could pay to have it done?
    So you want Trump to pick on the disabled more? Because that is what every headline would scream. TRUMP: WE DONT CARE ABOUT DEAF PEOPLE

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    So you want Trump to pick on the disabled more? Because that is what every headline would scream. TRUMP: WE DONT CARE ABOUT DEAF PEOPLE
    If you were a real Ron Paul supporter you would know that we don't give flip about what the media screams. All that matters is moves that are more liberty versus less liberty. And this was an anti liberty move taken by Trump's "justice" department. Quit sucking up.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm shocked an open source solution hasn't been offered. Either stream it through a simple audio to text or crowd source the audio. Simple solutions really
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Banned

Blog Entries
    I am actually surprised this got by Trump. I wonder who in the justice department is actually responsible for this. I have a feeling neither Sessions or Trump are aware of this. Seems like Obama holdover garbage.

Yup, this started March of 2015, and Berkely decided to remove them in August of 2016.
    https://news.berkeley.edu/wp-content...rkeley-LOF.pdf

Rebecca C Bond was appointed chief of disabilities rights section of the DoJ in 2013 under Obama.
    Last edited by UWDude; 03-12-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I am actually surprised this got by Trump. I wonder who in the justice department is actually responsible for this. I have a feeling neither Sessions or Trump are aware of this. Seems like Obama holdover garbage.

Yup, this started March of 2015, and Berkely decided to remove them in August of 2016.
    https://news.berkeley.edu/wp-content...rkeley-LOF.pdf

Rebecca C Bond was appointed chief of disabilities rights section of the DoJ in 2013 under Obama.
    Thank you for the clarification. Now here's hoping Trump does something to reverse this. Perhaps it should be part of the "tweets to Trump" effort.

Berkeley previously housed an online library consisting of more than 20,000 videos of lectures. These videos were free and accessible to the public. But they are free no longer: next week, administrators will withdraw access to anyone who isn't a Berkeley student or professor.
    So did they delete the videos or just revoke public access to the video? They are actually not the same thing. A part of me thinks Berkley took the videos down while they comply with the rules.

Also, can't hate on the complainers that much. The school receives gobbs of money from tax payers and closed captioning is actually not very expensive anymore. There are loads of services doing it, even computerized ones like the ones you have with youtube videos. They can share the cost with the dozens of public and private universities using the same videos now, come into compliance and everybody wins.

I am not a law and order type but it is madness when the state institutions don't even abide by the state rules.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    So did they delete the videos or just revoke public access to the video? They are actually not the same thing. A part of me thinks Berkley took the videos down while they comply with the rules.

Also, can't hate on the complainers that much. The school receives gobbs of money from tax payers and closed captioning is actually not very expensive anymore. There are loads of services doing it, even computerized ones like the ones you have with youtube videos. They can share the cost with the dozens of public and private universities using the same videos now, come into compliance and everybody wins.

I am not a law and order type but it is madness when the state institutions don't even abide by the state rules.
    Soooo....doesn't Gualledet get gobbs of money from taxpayers too? Can't Gualledet avail themselves of the computerized services to do closed captioning? Rather than picking on Berkeley, couldn't Gualladet simply solve the problem themselves for their own students? The end result is that Berkeley exercised its right to say FU to Gualledet and the feds by taking down the videos. And I support their decision. I wonder if Gualledet transforms every piece of written material they produce into Braille just because some blind student somewhere might want to read it?

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Soooo....doesn't Gualledet get gobbs of money from taxpayers too? Can't Gualledet avail themselves of the computerized services to do closed captioning? Rather than picking on Berkeley, couldn't Gualladet simply solve the problem themselves for their own students? The end result is that Berkeley exercised its right to say FU to Gualledet and the feds by taking down the videos. And I support their decision. I wonder if Gualledet transforms every piece of written material they produce into Braille just because some blind student somewhere might want to read it?
    I am sure they are compliant or try to be complaint with the ADA. I am not entirely sure that they said F U to Gualledet. It takes some time to get 20k videos to be compliant with the ADA laws. Come back in 2-3 yrs and we would see what they are actually doing. I personally think they are working on it now. They could even be giving it to students as a school project or finding free services that would do it for them.

I am sure they are compliant or try to be complaint with the ADA. I am not entirely sure that they said F U to Gualledet. It takes some time to get 20k videos to be compliant with the ADA laws. Come back in 2-3 yrs and we would see what they are actually doing. I personally think they are working on it now. They could even be giving it to students as a school project or finding free services that would do it for them.
    You're probably right. Which makes what Gualladet did all the more asinine.

Those automated ones, like the one on YouTube, aren't ADA compliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1988 - upstate NY (well mid-state anyway)
    The town's original general store, from somewhere in the early 1800s had become an antique store. The owner rented space in the building to the post office. Some months later, the post office officials informed her that, because of the ADA, they would be sending a construction crew to tear down part of one side of her building, removing an original window, disturbing the loose stone foundation and installing a wheelchair ramp to their specifications.
    The building has a wrap around porch with a no threshold access point on the other side of the building... perfectly wheelchair accessible - complete access to the post office.
    After a year long fight AND getting the store put on the Historical Register - they would not back down - so she canceled their lease.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    1988 - upstate NY (well mid-state anyway)
    The town's original general store, from somewhere in the early 1800s had become an antique store. The owner rented space in the building to the post office. Some months later, the post office officials informed her that, because of the ADA, they would be sending a construction crew to tear down part of one side of her building, removing an original window, disturbing the loose stone foundation and installing a wheelchair ramp to their specifications.
    The building has a wrap around porch with a no threshold access point on the other side of the building... perfectly wheelchair accessible - complete access to the post office.
    After a year long fight AND getting the store put on the Historical Register - they would not back down - so she canceled their lease.
    Good on her!
    There is no spoon.

Typical example of a "me, me, me" mindset. If I can't have it then no one can. Instead of going through the DOJ I'm sure this situation could have been worked out between both parties. But, that would have taken a little work and personal responsibility.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 03-12-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Berkeley Goes Offline

http://www.weeklystandard.com/berkel...rticle/2007201

MAR 14, 2017 | By ANDREW FERGUSON

A few years ago, an adjunct professor and disability-rights activist named Stacy Nowak went to take a look at a college course offered online by the University of California, Berkeley. The course was called "Journalism for Social Change." Nowak is deaf. She has no connection to UC Berkeley; she teaches art at Gallaudet University. But she was displeased with the quality of the closed captioning the university provided on the course's video.

Nowak, who declined to be interviewed for this article, got hold of the National Association of the Deaf, which she's a member of. In doing so she set in motion a train of events that will come to a head on March 15. Already famous for other reasons, the Ides of March will likely stand as a signal day in the development of modern liberalism, or progressivism, as we are supposed to call it. That's when one bastion of left-wingery, UC Berkeley, will give in to the demands of another, the disability-rights movement, to deprive the rest of us of a uniquely wonderful resource of modern technology. It's not as complicated as it sounds.

Since 2012, UC Berkeley (among many other schools) has offered video and audio recordings of many of its courses to the general public, via YouTube and iTunes U. The Seussian acronym is MOOCs, for massive open online courses. Over the years Berkeley's catalogue of MOOCs has grown to more than 40,000 hours of high-end pedagogy. There are introductory courses in economics, European history, statistics, physics, geography, and pretty much everything else. More advanced courses range from "Scientific Approaches to Consciousness" and "Game Theory" to "The Planets" and "Philosophy of Language," this last taught by John Searle, the country's, and maybe the world's, greatest living philosopher. Not all of the content will be to everyone's taste, of course, and I'm sure there's something to annoy anyone sooner or later. Professor Michael Nagler's simpering "Intro to Nonviolence" makes me want to punch something. I probably wouldn't like "Journalism for Social Change," either.

But still, wandering around this digital edifice one can't help but marvel. Has the Internet ever seemed so close to fulfilling the promise of its salad days? Think of it: Anyone anywhere can take a class at UC Berkeley, at their own pace, without tests or note-taking or waking up before noon! And despite the reflexive slanders from conservatives and its well-earned reputation as a hive of left-wingers, Berkeley remains one of the great intellectual centers of the world when it's not being torched by its students. Clicking on a course that seems even vaguely interesting, a former liberal arts major will now and then feel a reawakening of the thrill and sense of elation and limitless possibility that are among the great rewards of brainy adventures. Berkeley's MOOCs constitute an expansion of intellectual opportunity unimaginable 25 years ago.

Unfortunately, that's about the time Americans saw the imposition of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The act, passed in 1990, ordered American businesses and other institutions, public and private, to make "reasonable accommodations" to employees, customers, or even random passersby, as long as federal regulators dubbed them disabled. The disability could be mental or physical. A drunkard no less than a deaf person is considered disabled for purposes of the ADA.

The law was called "bipartisan"—a word that should ring like a firebell in the ears of every lover of liberty—because it was passed by a Democratic Congress and signed by a Republican president, George H. W. Bush. Mostly, though, it was the work of the newly minted "disability-rights movement." Disability activists insisted their cause was the next stage in the same movement that brought legal liberation to African Americans. This has since become a common strategy for rent seekers of all kinds. Yet the rationale for inventing rights based on mental or physical disability bore no resemblance to the civil rights movement of earlier decades. The ADA was a brazen exercise in moral free-riding.

The only opposition to it came from a brave band of libertarians and constitutionalists who saw it as a gluttonous and unprecedented expansion of state power. The ADA gave the federal bureaucracy the authority to muscle its way into the interactions of private citizens as never before. For the first time, a civil servant in Washington could reach across the country to demand, for example, that a store owner in Spittoon, Kansas, build his grocery shelves to whatever height the bureaucrat chose. For good measure the grocer could be fined if his water fountain spouted water at the incorrect angle.

The ADA spread a feast for plaintiffs' lawyers. Its provisions are so comprehensively intrusive that no business could hope to be in perfect compliance. One federal manual, covering the single topic of "accessible design," comes to more than 275 pages. Walter Olson, author of The Litigation Explosion, has tracked many of the tens of thousands of lawsuits—from the deaf patient awarded $400,000 because his rheumatologist failed to provide a sign language interpreter, to the police dispatcher who won a settlement for discrimination after she was fired. Her disability was narcolepsy.

Beyond the fate of individual businesses, and despite the warnings of a few economists, the unconquerable American economy absorbed the expense and market inefficiencies of the ADA with only the slightest indigestion. It swallowed, burped, and moved on. By now the act's reshaping of the landscape is so pervasive as to be invisible—curb cuts on street corners, ramps jerry-rigged on old office buildings, doors that open magically of themselves, and so on. After the ADA the country was much less free but its rulers were much more pleased with themselves.

As for the unintended consequences of the act .  .  . well, Berkeley has just learned about those.

After Nowak notified the National Association of the Deaf of her frustration with Berkeley's MOOCs, NAD went straight to the white-hot center of the American grievance industry, the federal government's Department of Justice. The organization filed a complaint with DoJ on behalf of Nowak and a Gallaudet colleague as "aggrieved individuals." The government lawyers got to work.

UC Berkeley, needless to say, is deeply involved in the disability rights movement and has gone to great lengths to keep it satisfied. Its Division of Equity and Inclusion boasts a Disabled Students Program that offers a long list of services to accommodate disabled students, including Disability Management Counseling and disability-specific problem-solving groups. The school adheres to an accessibility policy that issues Web Content Accessibility Guidelines that are enforced by the Web Accessibility Services team. There's even a minor in disability studies.

None of this impressed the Justice Department or the aggrieved individuals or the activist organization of which they are a part. Note that the accommodations listed above are for students and faculty only. But Berkeley opened its MOOCs to the general public. Among the videos, the intrepid DoJ investigators discovered some without captions, thus discriminating against members of the general public who are deaf. Some "contain[ed] text [that] had poor color contrast," thus discriminating against Americans with visual impairments. Others contained graphs and charts in which "information was sometimes conveyed using one color alone," thus discriminating against the color-blind.

In August, Rebecca Bond, chief of DoJ's Disability Rights Section, sent a letter to UC Berkeley administrators demanding that these acts of discrimination be corrected. In addition, the school would have to "pay compensatory damages to aggrieved individuals for injuries caused by UC Berkeley's failure to comply" with the ADA.

The letter was written in the purring tones of an enforcer who loves her work. "The Department prefers to resolve this matter cooperatively through a court-enforceable consent decree," Bond wrote. "In the event that we are unable to reach such a resolution, the Attorney General may initiate a lawsuit pursuant to the ADA." And do have a nice day.

The administrators didn't need an abacus to reckon that complying with the letter and retrofitting all the MOOC videos would be prohibitively expensive. Merely providing captions for all the videos, to say nothing of adjusting their color schemes and formatting, would cost more than $1 million, one official told the East Bay Times.

The easiest course, administrators concluded, was simply to pull all the MOOCs from the Internet, so that disabled members of the general public will no longer have to be subjected to such discriminatory offenses—and, also, so that the federal government won't sue UC Berkeley. Last week Vice Chancellor Cathy Koshland announced that beginning March 15, Berkeley's vast library of online courses would no longer be publicly available. If they couldn't be accessible to a member of NAD, they won't be accessible to anyone.

"The revolution eats its own children," said Georges Jacques Danton. Too bad about the collateral damage.