Thread: Canvassing Strategy Learned from 2008 State Assembly Campaign

Lightbulb Canvassing Strategy Learned from 2008 State Assembly Campaign

Was talking to a few people about what we did in California in 2008 and felt like maybe we could use some of these techniques when we start picking up on the canvassing part of the campaign.

One of the most important things we stressed was having good notes. What issues were most important to that person? Are they a supporter, possible supporter or are they definitely not voting for our guy? We kept meticulous notes on almost everything. Mainly because we walked these houses about 3 times each throughout the campaign and it was important to know what the last person talked to them about.

When we would go to a door and no one answered, we left literature. Here's the unique part, we would write small notes on each piece of literature saying basically, "Sorry I missed you and please go to XXX.com for more info". To personalize the literature to that person, we would add small personal PS's. If they had a Raiders sticker on their car, I'd write PS. "Go Raiders". Or if they had a nice garden, I'd tell them I really liked it. Would also write down my note so that when we went back to phone bank, I'd remember what I wrote because most people would mention the note.

If they were supporters, we had "Pledge Cards" that we'd have them sign that had check boxes for volunteering, hosting a home party or getting a yard sign. It was a great way to make the supporter take an action above just saying yes. Now they felt obligated to make that vote. And most times, if someone wanted a sign, they'd get it at the end of the day after the walk.

After canvassing, we would come back to campaign headquarters for phone banking the houses we went to and didn't talk to somebody. Our basic message was "we stopped by earlier and left literature. wanted to see if you had any questions about that or the candidate."

After we called everyone we walked that day, it was time to sit down and hand write post cards thanking every single person that talked to us that day. Because we'd have decent notes on the conversation, we'd make sure that the postcard content was customized to show we listened to them. Especially if they had a concern or question.
    "Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is good stuff, lessons learned from 2008 should definitely be used this time around.

Thanks for posting!

Great post.

It's also smart to make note of their age-group or any other important demographic. That way the next time you come around, you can be prepared with relevant literature and important talking-points.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanWenzel View Post
    Was talking to a few people about what we did in California in 2008 and felt like maybe we could use some of these techniques when we start picking up on the canvassing part of the campaign.

One of the most important things we stressed was having good notes. What issues were most important to that person? Are they a supporter, possible supporter or are they definitely not voting for our guy? We kept meticulous notes on almost everything. Mainly because we walked these houses about 3 times each throughout the campaign and it was important to know what the last person talked to them about.

When we would go to a door and no one answered, we left literature. Here's the unique part, we would write small notes on each piece of literature saying basically, "Sorry I missed you and please go to XXX.com for more info". To personalize the literature to that person, we would add small personal PS's. If they had a Raiders sticker on their car, I'd write PS. "Go Raiders". Or if they had a nice garden, I'd tell them I really liked it. Would also write down my note so that when we went back to phone bank, I'd remember what I wrote because most people would mention the note.

If they were supporters, we had "Pledge Cards" that we'd have them sign that had check boxes for volunteering, hosting a home party or getting a yard sign. It was a great way to make the supporter take an action above just saying yes. Now they felt obligated to make that vote. And most times, if someone wanted a sign, they'd get it at the end of the day after the walk.

After canvassing, we would come back to campaign headquarters for phone banking the houses we went to and didn't talk to somebody. Our basic message was "we stopped by earlier and left literature. wanted to see if you had any questions about that or the candidate."

After we called everyone we walked that day, it was time to sit down and hand write post cards thanking every single person that talked to us that day. Because we'd have decent notes on the conversation, we'd make sure that the postcard content was customized to show we listened to them. Especially if they had a concern or question.
    good ideas!!

I remember when Campaign for Liberty first started and I was talking it up on another forum. A guy there said he was going to donate based on our conversation. A week later he posted all excited that he had gotten a hand written thank you note! He was sold, after that.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Also, targeted canvassing is critical. You can go into a neighborhood with 100 homes, and only 50 of those will vote, period, and only 20 of those would vote anything other than straight ticket Dem. I won my race in 2010 because of targeted canvassing pure and simple. Any time you spend on canvassing the 80 homes that would never, ever vote for a Republican (or vote, period) not even to ward off an impending apocalypse, is wasted, and time you could be spending picking up votes in a targeted canvass.

Targeting is the most important thing you can do. There are applications your State coordinator can buy into, VSS, VoterVault, (VV is not the best let me tell you) that will provide targeting data. DO IT. It made all the difference in my State House victory.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Also, targeted canvassing is critical. You can go into a neighborhood with 100 homes, and only 50 of those will vote, period, and only 20 of those would vote anything other than straight ticket Dem. I won my race in 2010 because of targeted canvassing pure and simple. Any time you spend on canvassing the 80 homes that would never, ever vote for a Republican (or vote, period) not even to ward off an impending apocalypse, is wasted, and time you could be spending picking up votes in a targeted canvass.

Targeting is the most important thing you can do. There are applications your State coordinator can buy into, VSS, VoterVault, (VV is not the best let me tell you) that will provide targeting data. DO IT. It made all the difference in my State House victory.
    Great point! Targeting is super important in any marketing campaign, especially canvassing because of the time commitment involved in doing it. We had data sheets that told us Party, Age and How many times they voted in last 5 elections. We used that data all the time in determining which houses to hit the most.
    "Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

Great point! Targeting is super important in any marketing campaign, especially canvassing because of the time commitment involved in doing it. We had data sheets that told us Party, Age and How many times they voted in last 5 elections. We used that data all the time in determining which houses to hit the most.
    In NC, some databases (such as VSS) will even tell you which ballots unaffiliateds drew in the primary, Dem or Rep. And, if the rep's vote in primaries.

We used the stuffing out of unaffiliated lists that drew GOP primary ballots.

More great advice. This thread is a goldmine

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great posts.

Just adding on... take notes on everything.

Children/playset? American flag? Some other flag?

If you are doing a voter ID and not just issue ID, ask supporters if they would like a bumper sticker. If they do.. pull out your windex and napkin and ask them where they would like it.

Remember, canvassing is not to debate/argue. Just find their issue and connect with them on it.

After knocking.. take a step back. Never go in a house. If any opposition ever canvasses your house... Ask them in, do they want coffee/tea? What would you like prepared for dinner? etc? Waste their time... =)

YAL will be teaching these techniques and more at their campaign bootcamps http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...00#post3528800

Leadership Institute is great for this type of training on technique http://www.leadershipinstitute.org/training/

Where did you get those data sheets? how much were they? How accurate?

In NC, some databases (such as VSS) will even tell you which ballots unaffiliateds drew in the primary, Dem or Rep. And, if the rep's vote in primaries.

We used the stuffing out of unaffiliated lists that drew GOP primary ballots.
    What is VSS? Where do you get it? Cost? We want to get started now.

This works. Personalized notes. In fact, it works almost as well as catching the person home, and it takes very little time. To this day, I have ppl who come up and say, "I live in the house with the stone driveway that you liked."

Last year, I beat a two term incumbent in a local election... in all 14 precincts in our county.

I would say the voter lists are very valuable as well. But sometimes you get into pockets of voters where the lists just aren't reliable, and you end up knocking on every door in that area. The way we used the voter lists was not driving down the road deciding whether to pull into a driveway, but rather to target the "10 out of 10" "9 out of 10" and "8 out of 10" voters. Our list showed how many of the last 10 elections the voter had participated in. 10 out of 10 voters are very rare. Usually these were precinct workers, or veterans. You can be certain they are going to vote, and you can be certain they are going to talk about voting.

Another hint... If you're working without a list, you can ask someone where they go to vote. If they don't know, then move on, they have never voted and aren't going to vote.

And while you are on their front door step, go ahead and ask them if you can put a sign in their yard. Signs do work. You don't have to put the sign up that day. Just make a note and come back when the time is right. Occasionally, I would stop at a house that already had signs in the yard (for other races on the same ticket) and ask if I could put a sign in the yard. You'd be shocked to learn how many of these households with signs don't even vote. Some are felons, nonresidents, or registered other party and can't vote for any of the candidates that have signs in their yards. But when folks drive by these yards they think "wow, he has a lot of support". lol. Signs don't vote, but they are effective at helping candidates cross that threshold of public opinion known as "I like him but he doesn't have a chance to win.". And until our candidate crosses that threshold, this opinion is a self fulfilling prophecy.

bump! Great informative post, I think everyone should read this. This is how elections are won!
    http://www.teaparty11.com/
    Tea Party 2011!

"Let it not be said that nothing was done."

Phone from Home Facebook page

Bump, Great post!
    http://www.teaparty11.com/
    Tea Party 2011!

"Let it not be said that nothing was done."

Phone from Home Facebook page

If one doesn't want to buy the list or can't afford it, then attaining the voter rolls for your county is usually pretty inexpensive. The voter rolls should tell you how many times they voted in recent elections.

Bump.

EVERYONE should read every post in this thread.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZanZibar View Post
    If one doesn't want to buy the list or can't afford it, then attaining the voter rolls for your county is usually pretty inexpensive. The voter rolls should tell you how many times they voted in recent elections.
    Yes, for instance, we recently got a list from NC Board of Elections that was "All Republicans and Unaffiliateds who voted in the 2010 and 2008 primaries." Very useful that. The only thing I wish was that this list had included WHICH ballot (R or D) the unaffiliateds drew. Mind you, that's not a question that most states will have to worry about.