Thread: Help With Sewing Machine Repair?

Help With Sewing Machine Repair?

Anybody dabble in primitive electric gadgets? I have a vintage sewing machine that is always on. If you don't know sewing machines, there's usually a foot or knee pedal that powers the machine. The harder you press the faster the machine goes. If you don't press the switch, the machine should be off.

Here's the old school metal foot pedal.

Here's the inside:

When I opened it I expected to see the bar not fully disengaged, but it is. Then I took the whole inner unit apart thinking there would be a mouse or something shorting across the coils, but nope. I looked under the pivot point of the bar to make sure there's no contact there.

I am stumped. I cannot figure out how the motor is getting power. Any thoughts?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do you have a multimeter ?
    "I am a bird"

Each one of those coiled wires is a resistance coil...varying degrees of resistance to the motor result in slower or faster speeds, but I'm sure you know that already.

My first guess is that one of those has broken/burnt out/gone bad.

A visual inspection may not reveal one that has failed.

If you have a meter, check (carefully that looks like 120 VAC) across the riveted contact points, the swing arm and terminal.

If there is, the contact point in the swing arm may have failed. Check for continuity between the swing arm and the lower terminal screw.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 08-03-2018 at 12:48 PM.

A sewing machine that is always on.....can I have its number?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Each one of those coiled wires is a resistance coil...varying degrees of resistance to the motor result in slower or faster speeds.

My first guess is that one of those has broken/burnt out/gone bad.

If you have a meter, check (carefully that looks like 120 VAC) across the riveted contact points, the swing arm and terminal.

If there is, the contact point in the swing arm may have failed.
    I would recommend to measure resistance when it's not plugged in. If the resistance is unlimited there is no connection.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I would recommend to measure resistance when it's not plugged in. If the resistance is unlimited there is no connection.
    A much better option, yes, this.

I'm going to guess that, if the machine won't work at all, and assuming it's not anything "downstream" (motor, connections so on) that there is no contact from the terminal to swing arm.

Of course I have a multimeter. What kind of a woman do you think I am?

I suspect the cord has a short in it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am guessing insulators on the actuator shaft are missing or faulty,,, and allowing direct current on.

just a guess from pics.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Did you try turning it off and on again?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I suspect the cord has a short in it.
    I suspect Miss Scarlet in the Library with the Wrench.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

A much better option, yes, this.

I'm going to guess that, if the machine won't work at all, and assuming it's not anything "downstream" (motor, connections so on) that there is no contact from the terminal to swing arm.
    The motor is always on despite the fact that there isn't a connection to the swing arm. I thought for sure I'd find the swing arm making contact, but it isn't. I think I might have to physically trace the wires.

If you don't sew, you might not be familiar with the layout, but under the chassis there's an outlet that has a cord that would run to a wall socket. Two things plug into that: the foot pedal/motor and a light. I am not using the under-chassis outlet. I plugged the foot pedal directly into the wall to presumably take the outlet and the light out of the equation, but now I wonder....if someone wired them in series, that might be the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Did you try turning it off and on again?
    I see what you did there, and I am out of rep.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    The motor is always on despite the fact that there isn't a connection to the swing arm. I thought for sure I'd find the swing arm making contact, but it isn't. I think I might have to physically trace the wires.

If you don't sew, you might not be familiar with the layout, but under the chassis there's an outlet that has a cord that would run to a wall socket. Two things plug into that: the foot pedal/motor and a light. I am not using the under-chassis outlet. I plugged the foot pedal directly into the wall to presumably take the outlet and the light out of the equation, but now I wonder....if someone wired them in series, that might be the issue.
    I'm gonna go with this. I noticed the two cords entering into the stand in your picture and was wondering what the set-up under there was like. I'm also pretty sure that those cords should be run through the hole and not under the machine to stand contact. Or at least it looks like a grommet hole from the photo.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 08-03-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    I suspect Miss Scarlet in the Library with the Wrench.
    If the cord between the foot peddle and the motor has become short circuited so as to cut the switches out of the circuit, it would make the motor run full speed.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I'm gonna go with this. I noticed the two cords entering into the stand in your picture and was wondering what the set-up under there was like. I'm also pretty sure that those cords should be run through the hole and not under the machine to stand contact. Or at least it looks like a grommet hole from the photo.
    Heh. Turns out the hubby doesn't know how sewing machines work. (I'm actually totally cool with that!) And this one has a slightly different configuration than the others I've seen.

I pulled out all my tools. Wire cutters, VOM, screwdrivers, wire nuts....then saw the foot switch wasn't connected like I pictured it. Turns out he was plugging the motor straight into the 120, bypassing the switch entirely. All repairs should go so smoothly.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Heh. Turns out the hubby doesn't know how sewing machines work. (I'm actually totally cool with that!) And this one has a slightly different configuration than the others I've seen.

I pulled out all my tools. Wire cutters, VOM, screwdrivers, wire nuts....then saw the foot switch wasn't connected like I pictured it. Turns out he was plugging the motor straight into the 120, bypassing the switch entirely. All repairs should go so smoothly.
    Good. Are you refurbing it to sell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Lol. Shoulda kicked the tires.

It's probably out of gas.

Did you check the tank?

It's probably out of gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

I have always had the opposite problem with the Mrs.'s old machines, foot pedal not working at all.I usually throw them in a pile for parts and buy one off the net and replace it . Like yours , if she has any on all the time , probably because I wired it that way . It is not like working on a tractor , I do not try them out when I get done and I try to do it when she is not here because her office is somewhat small and she would feel the need to stand over me and block my light while talking about some crazy stuff which can be distracting.
    Last edited by oyarde; 08-03-2018 at 04:53 PM.
    Do something Danke

I'm actually very familiar with these types of controls and handy around a sewing machine.

Sounds like you got the problem taken care of.

Let us know how it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Good. Are you refurbing it to sell?
    Absolutely! I can't keep them all.

I'm actually very familiar with these types of controls and handy around a sewing machine.

Sounds like you got the problem taken care of.

Let us know how it worked out.
    It was clearly operator failure. My fault as much as his. He brought me over to show me the issue and I immediately got it in my head that the foot pedal had issues without looking at the bigger picture.

Worked out ok - the store is pretty cluttered so I got to sit outside for a bit and test it. IN my life, that's practically a vacation.

Thanks to all of you for your help!!!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.