Thread: Gallup poll: 66% of Americans support marijuana legalization, including 53% of Republicans

Gallup poll: 66% of Americans support marijuana legalization, including 53% of Republicans

Two in Three Americans Now Support Legalizing Marijuana

BY JUSTIN MCCARTHY
    OCTOBER 22, 2018

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Sixty-six percent of Americans now support legalizing marijuana, another new high in Gallup's trend over nearly half a century. The latest figure marks the third consecutive year that support on the measure has increased and established a new record.

Legalizing the use of pot was an unpopular idea when Gallup first asked Americans about it in 1969 -- just 12% at that time said it should be made legal. Support grew in the 1970s but stagnated in the 20% range until the new millennium, when momentum for legalization picked up again. Since 2000, support for legalizing marijuana has trended steeply upward, reaching majority support for the first time in 2013 -- a year after Colorado and Washington voters legalized recreational use of marijuana via ballot initiatives, making them the first states to do so. Marijuana use continues to be illegal at the federal level.

The Oct. 1-10 Gallup poll was conducted before Canada last week became the second country in the world to legalize the recreational use of marijuana. In the U.S., voters in four states are voting this year on measures to allow for recreational or medical use of marijuana.

read more:
    https://news.gallup.com/poll/243908/...marijuana.aspx

Republican support at 53%.

Also, support among seniors is now at 59%, up 9 points from last year.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who are the others ?
    Do something Danke

Michigan has it on the ballot and it's a step in the right direction. However the wording is silly. "Impose a 10-ounce limit for marijuana kept at residences and require amounts over 2.5 ounces be secured in locked containers"

Funny how you can grow tobacco plants without a problem but not a weed.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

FAIL.

I support decriminlization. Legalization keeps the "state's" nose in your business.

As is plain to see, many who proclaim liberty are really advocates of pretty slavery.

FAIL-plex.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    FAIL.

I support decriminlization. Legalization keeps the "state's" nose in your business.

As is plain to see, many who proclaim liberty are really advocates of pretty slavery.

FAIL-plex.
    PS: 66% of Americans are idiots. And that's being REALLY generous in every sense you might want to raise.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Who are the others ?
    These people.

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

FAIL.

FAIL-plex.
    Decriminalization still means long jail sentences for people who cultivate more than a few plants or sell to others. The government's nose us much more up your business when you are sitting in jail, versus whatever the requirements are with a regulated system.
    Last edited by jct74; 10-23-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Chester Copperpot

FAIL.

FAIL-plex.
    i thought it was the reverse??

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    At this point anything that keeps people out of jail and lets them retain property that belongs to them would be an improvement .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    i thought it was the reverse??
    No. Decriminalization leaves the "state" with no position on a given issue. In West Virginia, for example, open carry of a firearm is a non-criminal act. The state has no position on the question, leaving us free to openly carry. Were the state to criminalize open carry, then decide it was a mistake, the avenues of correction left to them would be to decriminalize, which would return the state to its former position of neutrality on the issue, or to "legalize" it, which would leave the issue subject to state limitations and other conditions. Theye could, for example, declare movie theaters as no-go zones for open carry. In the case of decriminalization, the only party authorized to ban open carry of weapons would be the theater owners.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    At this point anything that keeps people out of jail and lets them retain property that belongs to them would be an improvement .
    Not necessarily, all superficial appearances to that effect notwithstanding.

Once the precedent of state power and authority has been asserted AND ACCEPTED, the relationship between the "state" and the individual has become altered in a fundamental and very dangerous manner. Taking the devil's coin may seem expedient in a time of desperation. Later, when the real cost of one's choice becomes apparent, a new and woe-laden understanding of what one had done usually rises to the surface, the result always including wailing and the gnashing of teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Decriminalization still means long jail sentences for people who cultivate more than a few plants or sell to others. The government's nose us much more up your business when you are sitting in jail, versus whatever the requirements are with a regulated system.
    Um... no.

Decriminalization means the state holds NO OPINION on a matter, leaving it up for grabs by the free men of the land.

IF the "state" acts against such a man for the reasons in question, then regardless of any ostensible status, the acts in question are in fact criminalized.

It makes no difference that I say I am not cutting off you left arm, if I am cutting off your left arm. Words, while important, can be cheap. They are ultimately cheapened when they utter in diametric opposition to reality.

So if I say marijuana is decriminalized and I arrest you for possession, then cannabis is in fact NOT decriminalized at all. That, or I am committing a felony upon your person by the act of arresting you and should in my own turn be arrested, charged, convicted, and placed in an 8x10 cage for many a long year to come.

LEGALIZATION can lead to the result you claim, precisely because of the presence of legal stipulations placed upon your sovereign right to act. If the statute says no more than one million ounces and you are discovered to have one million and one quarter ounces, you may then by said statute be dragged away in manacles to await what I am certain would be a grizzly fate behind the very bars those comprising the "state" should be occupying.

Once the precedent of state power and authority has been asserted AND ACCEPTED, the relationship between the "state" and the individual has become altered in a fundamental and very dangerous manner. Taking the devil's coin may seem expedient in a time of desperation. Later, when the real cost of one's choice becomes apparent, a new and woe-laden understanding of what one had done usually rises to the surface, the result always including wailing and the gnashing of teeth.
    *sigh* You're fighting the wrong battle and beating the wrong dead horse and trying to flag down a ship that's already long sailed. The government already regulates marijuana. It's "regulation" is that it is illegal. The federal government "regulation" of drugs is based on a bad twisting of interstate commerce clause. The constitution had to be amended to prohibit alcohol and the same should have happened with drugs but didn't because of FDR, Wickard v Filburn and the new deal. Wickard v Filburn was quoted in the 2005 upholding federal prosecution of medical marijuana even in a state where it was legal. (See: https://www.cannalawblog.com/gonzale...45-u-s-1-2005/) Legalization / decriminalization / whatever may be done represents a reduction in regulation, not the creation of it. Your argument would be akin to saying Trump shouldn't roll back EPA regulations on CO2 because...that means accepting more government regulation on CO2.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Um... no.

Decriminalization means the state holds NO OPINION on a matter, leaving it up for grabs by the free men of the land.

IF the "state" acts against such a man for the reasons in question, then regardless of any ostensible status, the acts in question are in fact criminalized.

It makes no difference that I say I am not cutting off you left arm, if I am cutting off your left arm. Words, while important, can be cheap. They are ultimately cheapened when they utter in diametric opposition to reality.

So if I say marijuana is decriminalized and I arrest you for possession, then cannabis is in fact NOT decriminalized at all. That, or I am committing a felony upon your person by the act of arresting you and should in my own turn be arrested, charged, convicted, and placed in an 8x10 cage for many a long year to come.

LEGALIZATION can lead to the result you claim, precisely because of the presence of legal stipulations placed upon your sovereign right to act. If the statute says no more than one million ounces and you are discovered to have one million and one quarter ounces, you may then by said statute be dragged away in manacles to await what I am certain would be a grizzly fate behind the very bars those comprising the "state" should be occupying.
    Portugal decriminalized drugs but you can still get arrested in Portugal for drug trafficking.

See: https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...orld-copied-it

Chester Copperpot

No. Decriminalization leaves the "state" with no position on a given issue. In West Virginia, for example, open carry of a firearm is a non-criminal act. The state has no position on the question, leaving us free to openly carry. Were the state to criminalize open carry, then decide it was a mistake, the avenues of correction left to them would be to decriminalize, which would return the state to its former position of neutrality on the issue, or to "legalize" it, which would leave the issue subject to state limitations and other conditions. Theye could, for example, declare movie theaters as no-go zones for open carry. In the case of decriminalization, the only party authorized to ban open carry of weapons would be the theater owners.
    well this probably explains why a group of black assemblymen are holding up the marijuana legalization thing in NJ.. They are promoting decriminalization while the governor promotes legalization... Im for whichever way maximizes personal liberty.. so it sounds like decriminalization is the way to go..

We aughta keep this devil's lettuce tightly regalated because it poses a danja to the well-being of my children. I'm gonna have to vote against legalization at least until my kids grow older.

p.s. anyone here know where I can get a smaller rifle for Billy? This one was a bit cumbersome for him as he is only 5 and unable to wield it unassisted.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    well this probably explains why a group of black assemblymen are holding up the marijuana legalization thing in NJ.. They are promoting decriminalization while the governor promotes legalization... Im for whichever way maximizes personal liberty.. so it sounds like decriminalization is the way to go..
    Hmmm....I just looked that up. Sadly it looks like they are holding up the legislation because they want to include reparations for black people for the disproportionate effect of the drug war.

https://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf...with_repa.html

So...rather than stop the harm as soon as possible....use this as an opportunity to demand money. Yeah...makes sense. /sarc

To the goobermint... de-schedule & GTFO.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Um... no.

THIS IS WHERE I GET MAD!

OHIO has been "decriminalized" since 1976!

not a fuk is given!

end it at the "fed" level and it should not be a mater of controversy...

but then statists goNNa state no matta what, so buckle up & guard yo grill!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    These people.

That was one of my favorites. The pro-choice incoherence should be stuffed down Dems throats every time.

This video from the same convention in 2012 from Peter Schiff is even better where he asks people if they are in favor of banning profits.

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    THIS IS WHERE I GET MAD!

OHIO has been "decriminalized" since 1976!

not a fuk is given!

end it at the "fed" level and it should not be a mater of controversy...

but then statists goNNa state no matta what, so buckle up & guard yo grill!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jkr again.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    That was one of my favorites. The pro-choice incoherence should be stuffed down Dems throats every time.

This video from the same convention in 2012 from Peter Schiff is even better where he asks people if they are in favor of banning profits.

LOL @ Van Jones running from Peter Schiff.

FAIL.

FAIL-plex.
    It is still an improvement and we can't get full decriminalization right now.

This is good if not perfect.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

But it has already been asserted and accepted with criminalization.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    It becomes ever more difficult for me not to think that some people need killing.

This brand and degree of corruption and stupidity is almost not to be believed. How do the heads of these people not explode?
    Last edited by osan; 10-23-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It is still an improvement and we can't get full decriminalization right now.

This is good if not perfect.
    Is it?

Think "devil's coin".

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    But it has already been asserted and accepted with criminalization.
    The millions of people in prison on drug convictions would seem to suggest otherwise.

The millions of people in prison on drug convictions would seem to suggest otherwise.
    Most of them have accepted that it is illegal, they just chose to break the law and there are far more people on the outside who have accepted it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment