Thread: Electricity from piped liquid

Electricity from piped liquid

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    This is cool, but only works on gravity-fed pipelines. If you have to pump the water to provide the pressure, these devices just increase the amount of energy drain on the pumps.

Still, there are plenty of applications where this can, and should, be used.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    This is cool, but only works on gravity-fed pipelines. If you have to pump the water to provide the pressure, these devices just increase the amount of energy drain on the pumps.

I'd never heard of this before but it makes sense..

Lots of small towns use water towers which require pumps to fill, why not recoup some of that energy when the water flows out?

Without cost/maintenance analysis it's hard to figure if there is a payback....

Turbine design has improved by leaps-n-bounds with computer modeling and modern composites....

Lots of small towns use water towers which require pumps to fill, why not recoup some of that energy when the water flows out?

Turbine design has improved by leaps-n-bounds with computer modeling and modern composites....
    My dad did some consultation for some guys promoting this exact idea 15 years ago. Glad to see it might finally becoming a reality.

Hydro electric.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

Yeah, seems like you would essentially just be taking the energy back from the pumps in many cases.

It would work as a energy storage reservoir. Excess energy, say solar, is used to pump the water up, and then electricity can be consistently generated via hydro electric.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

It would work as a energy storage reservoir. Excess energy, say solar, is used to pump the water up, and then electricity can be consistently generated via hydro electric.
    I don't know if a homeowner would get much out of this without massive storage reserves. Here's a project in my neck of the woods
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luding...ge_Power_Plant
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    I don't know if a homeowner would get much out of this without massive storage reserves. Here's a project in my neck of the woods
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luding...ge_Power_Plant
    Great project there. Yeah, don’t know how feasible that would be for a homeowner. Size and efficiency are important factors. Batteries tend to be the best best for homeowners. But in the long run, there are manufacturing and disposal problems with batteries too. That adds to the total cost.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.