Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Florence Updates

Hurricane Florence Updates

mods: move it as U please

This .gif should update as we go...

latest NOAA Forecast Cone is coming up in a few minutes.... will post soon. thanQ SS.
    Last edited by goldenequity; 09-12-2018 at 09:20 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Mandatory evacuations. I don't like the sound of that!

I remember a few years ago New England closed down because of a supposed blizzard due to clobber the area. The subway was closed for the first time in history. New York only got a couple inches of snow from that storm.

If a person chooses to purchase property on the coast, expect severe storms. If they choose to purchase on a river expect floods. If purchase in Tornado alley expect tornadoes. If you move to Vegas, California, Denver, expect water shortages. If you move to a place like New Orleans that is built under sea level expect to be flooded.

Don't expect the rest of the country to feel your pain for the choices you made.

I have close relatives in the area. One of them is in a mandatory evacuation zone. They left Tuesday.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I live in NC it looks like I am just outside of the "cone" We are preping for rains today by digging some trenches to divert the water away from the house to the creek. I live on a hill top but there is a creek running though my property so I know the creek could flood.

Nobody out here is enforcing the evacuations. They are just clear that if you get stranded on your roof you are probably going to be waiting for a rescue for some time.

I’m 50/50 on whether to leave my house. New Bern is going to eat the brunt of this because the wide Neuse River will be surging as the smaller Neuse and Trent rivers will have nowhere to empty into. The police department abandoned the police station. They are expecting water 9’ higher than normal. I could go cramp into the hospital with the wife and ride it out there, but I have a really hard time leaving my house and dog. If it starts to flood bad I’ll end up wishing I had left I bet. Can’t get to a final decision as i keep flip flopping like a Romney
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    I’m 50/50 on whether to leave my house. New Bern is going to eat the brunt of this because the wide Neuse River will be surging as the smaller Neuse and Trent rivers will have nowhere to empty into. The police department abandoned the police station. They are expecting water 9’ higher than normal.
    yeah... looks like yer gonna get it.. keep us posted

Last edited by goldenequity; 09-13-2018 at 05:51 AM.

Real-time

Never mind they jerked it.
    Last edited by tod evans; 09-13-2018 at 07:58 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For the fact it’s already hitting us with the outer bands, they are not expecting landfall for another 36 hours.
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Mandatory evacuations. I don't like the sound of that!
    I have heard that before.
    Several times,, with Loudspeakers..

and I never left.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I’m staying put. Shelter in place should be well supplied for at least a week before I need out, unless complete flooding occurs at my house.

Tornados now
    No - No - No - No

I’m staying put. Shelter in place should be well supplied for at least a week before I need out, unless complete flooding occurs at my house.

Tornados now
    With Florence stalling there will be a lot of rain. Ride that storm out.

You guys in harms way, prayers for all.
    Last edited by donnay; 09-13-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Dang wtf power is already out? The wind has barely started
    No - No - No - No

I’m 50/50 on whether to leave my house. New Bern is going to eat the brunt of this because the wide Neuse River will be surging as the smaller Neuse and Trent rivers will have nowhere to empty into. The police department abandoned the police station. They are expecting water 9’ higher than normal. I could go cramp into the hospital with the wife and ride it out there, but I have a really hard time leaving my house and dog. If it starts to flood bad I’ll end up wishing I had left I bet. Can’t get to a final decision as i keep flip flopping like a Romney
    Saying a prayer for you and yours. I went to high school in New Bern.
    #NashvilleStrong

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hopin' all to get thru this in one piece.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I have heard that before.
    Several times,, with Loudspeakers..

and I never left.
    Did you have young children?
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Did you have young children?
    I have looked after some in a Storm. None of my own.

Looked after some old folks too...

Storms can bring communities together,,,

I would recommend getting children into shelter.

edit;
    All of my critters have survived the storms with me.
    Though Clyde went through Wilma outdoors,,, by his choice..

Last edited by pcosmar; 09-13-2018 at 01:11 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Dang wtf power is already out? The wind has barely started
    I must've seen a hundred utility trucks headed your way through Knoxville over the last couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    I must've seen a hundred utility trucks headed your way through Knoxville over the last couple of days.
    They are staging as far back as the Piedmont. Loaded up at hotels in Hickory, N.C.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    Yes. Lots of volunteers and paid professionals heading out to help.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I have looked after some in a Storm. None of my own.
    It’s a lot different than being a dad with a wife and young children. My nephew took his family well inland to extended family.

I agree about communities coming together. Nashville was all but ingnored in 2010. We couldn’t even get our elected representatives to come take a look. We learned a lot from that experience. We live on a hill and people on our block had runoff flooding because we got so much rain.

Your cat is beautiful. I’m not a cat person, but that is a beautiful animal.
    #NashvilleStrong

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    It’s a lot different than being a dad with a wife and young children. My nephew took his family well inland to extended family.

I agree about communities coming together. Nashville was all but ingnored in 2010. We couldn’t even get our elected representatives to come take a look. We learned a lot from that experience. We live on a hill and people on our block had runoff flooding because we got so much rain.

Your cat is beautiful. I’m not a cat person, but that is a beautiful animal.
    Many over the years. Companions and friends.

These two friends are still with us,,in Washington.

Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Gray and white cats are the prettiest. I think tortoise shell cats are pretty, too.
    #NashvilleStrong

Good luck everyone to the south of me, hang in there.
    Crews from as far away as Canada are going south, let
    alone New England. It sounds like the storm will not go
    up the coast in any hurry. Flooding and power outages?
    Anyway. Hang in there. True grit. Tough it out but don't
    take foolish risks. Let's all get thru this as best we can!

view down to Hilton Head and Charleston SC

Last edited by goldenequity; 09-13-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Good luck to all RPFers in the danger zone.

Cat1
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast