Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: First case of China-linked coronavirus reported in US

First case of China-linked coronavirus reported in US

First case of China-linked coronavirus reported in US, federal officials say

At least one person in the United States is infected with the mysterious pneumonia-like virus that’s killed at least six people and sickened some 300 others since the illness was first reported in the Chinese city of Wuhan.

The case of the new coronavirus was confirmed in a man in Seattle, Washington. The man arrived in the U.S. last week before officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced “enhanced health screenings” for airline passengers arriving from or traveling through the Wuhan province. San Francisco International Airport, John F. Kennedy International Airport and Los Angeles International Airport all began the initiative on Jan. 17.
    More: https://www.foxnews.com/health/first...rus-us-seattle
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This outbreak is a new strain, number 7 on the list.

Coronaviruses primarily infect the upper respiratory and gastrointestinal tract of mammals and birds. Seven different currently known strains of coronaviruses infect humans. Coronaviruses are believed to cause a significant percentage of all common colds in human adults and children. Coronaviruses cause colds with major symptoms, e.g. fever, throat swollen adenoids, in humans primarily in the winter and early spring seasons.[5] Coronaviruses can cause pneumonia, either direct viral pneumonia or a secondary bacterial pneumonia, and bronchitis, either direct viral bronchitis or a secondary bacterial bronchitis.[6] The much publicized human coronavirus discovered in 2003, SARS-CoV which causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), has a unique pathogenesis because it causes both upper and lower respiratory tract infections.[6] The significance and economic impact of coronaviruses as causative agents of the common cold are hard to assess because, unlike rhinoviruses (another common cold virus), human coronaviruses are difficult to grow in the laboratory.
    There are seven known strains of human coronaviruses:

1. Human coronavirus 229E
    2. Human coronavirus OC43
    3. SARS-CoV
    4. Human coronavirus NL63 (HCoV-NL63, New Haven coronavirus)
    5. Human coronavirus HKU1
    6. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), previously known as Novel coronavirus 2012 and HCoV-EMC.
    7. Wuhan coronavirus (2019-nCoV),[14][15] also known as novel coronavirus 2019/2020 (Wuhan pneumonia).[16]

Following the high-profile publicity of SARS outbreaks, there has been a renewed interest in coronaviruses among virologists. For many years, scientists knew about only two human coronaviruses (HCoV-229E and HCoV-OC43). The discovery of SARS-CoV added a third human coronavirus.
    More: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Did China engineer this disease to target white people? Could be an act of war.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Travel ban goes into effect in Chinese city of Wuhan as authorities try to stop coronavirus spread

BREAKING: Wuhan health authorities ordered the suspension of buses, subways, ferries and long-distance passenger transport starting at 10 a.m. Thursday local time. The airport and main train stations have temporarily closed, and video footage showed health workers in medical suits checking temperatures of people leaving the city in vehicles.
    The city has a population of 11 million and is at the center of key air and rail routes. The ban comes as the virus's death toll increased to 17 and during the busiest travel period of the year in China, with 400 million people on the road for the Lunar New Year holiday, which officially starts Friday.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...0b1_story.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Only the ones who have sexual relations with ducks or dolphins.

October 2019: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Others, Simulate, “An Outbreak of a Novel Zoonotic Coronavirus… That Eventually Becomes Efficiently Transmissible from Person to Person, Leading to a Severe Pandemic”

https://www.cryptogon.com/?p=57179
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Viral Pandemic Starts in Chinese City with Research Lab for ‘World’s Most Dangerous‘ Pathogens
    https://bigleaguepolitics.com/chines...ous-pathogens/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Dr. Oz said this morning in an interview, that the area that this coronavirus started was a supermarket that was scrubbed by the Chinese government but it sold exotic things like bats to eat.

Bats are one of the carriers of this particular virus.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Dr. Oz said this morning in an interview, that the area that this coronavirus started was a supermarket that was scrubbed by the Chinese government but it sold exotic things like bats to eat.

Bats are one of the carriers of this particular virus.
    Yeah, bats are the carriers of the original virus before it mutates. But the virus usually goes from bats to another animal and then mutates into a virus that can infect humans. Then the virus mutates in humans until human to human transmission can occur.

Now these viruses can be transmitted from person to person. Field studies have revealed that the original source of SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV is the bat, and that the masked palm civets (a mammal native to Asia and Africa) and camels, respectively, served as intermediate hosts between bats and humans.

In the case of this 2019 coronavirus outbreak, reports state that most of the first group of patients hospitalized were workers or customers at a local seafood wholesale market which also sold processed meats and live consumable animals including poultry, donkeys, sheep, pigs, camels, foxes, badgers, bamboo rats, hedgehogs and reptiles. However, since no one has ever reported finding a coronavirus infecting aquatic animals, it is plausible that the coronavirus may have originated from other animals sold in that market.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...ina/ar-BBZerva
    For some reason they are reporting today that the intermediary host may be a snake, but that doesn’t seem likely. The corona virus is usually in a warm blooded animal. If it is all “seafood”, look to animals like seals, dolphins or whales. But according to the article above, there were plenty of non-aquatic animals being sold there too. Seem like another story had said it was wolf pups.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 01-23-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yeah, bats are the carriers of the original virus before it mutates. But the virus usually goes from bats to another animal and then mutates into a virus that can infect humans. Then the virus mutates in humans until human to human transmission can occur.

For some reason they are reporting today that the intermediary host may be a snake, but that doesn’t seem likely. The corona virus is usually in a warm blooded animal. If it is all “seafood”, look to animals like seals, dolphins or whales. But according to the article above, there were plenty of non-aquatic animals being sold there too. Seem like another story had said it was wolf pups.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Going to China next week...nice knowin y'all. Well, not all y'all.

Video Purports to Show Coronavirus Victim Collapsed on the Street in Wuhan

https://summit.news/2020/01/23/video...reet-in-wuhan/

HEALTH

Video Purports to Show Coronavirus Victim Collapsed on the Street in Wuhan

Another clip shows deserted city streets being sprayed.

Published
    11 mins ago on
    23 January, 2020
    Paul Joseph Watson

A video out of China purports to show a victim of the deadly new coronavirus after he collapsed on the streets of Wuhan.
    The clip shows the man, who appears to be bleeding from his head following the fall, being attended to by ambulance workers in full medical bio-protection suits.

In #Wuhan,people are collapsing on streets due to the deadly #WuhanPneumonia .
    so helpless.#WuhanCoronavirus #WuhanOutbreak

Another clip purports to show another victim of the virus who fell ill on the street being loaded into an ambulance.

another case of collapsing on street in Wuhan.
    see the mefics gear?its probably #WuhanCoronavirus related#Wuhan #WuhanPneumonia

Another image claims to show a coronavirus victim lying dead.

Three Chinese cities have been placed on complete lockdown in an attempt to stop the contagion, which has already killed 18 people.
    In Wuhan, airports, train stations, ferries, subways and bus services have all been halted and the city’s 11 million residents have been ordered to wear masks.
    The nearby cities of Ezhou and Huanggang and are also on lockdown.
    Another slightly apocalyptic video filmed from a nearby apartment shows a vehicle spraying the deserted streets of Wuhan.

As we highlighted yesterday, experts are saying that the coronavirus has the same kill rate as the 1918 Spanish flu, which claimed 20-50 million lives.
    Scientists say the virus could have spread to humans from snakes and bats, both of which are consumed as food products by some Chinese people.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Wear a face mask in public and take lots of vitamin C.

Hopefully you will be allowed to fly out on schedule.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    And the rat (live)

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Wear a face mask in public and take lots of vitamin C.
    I swear by elderberry. Also keep some colloidal silver in a nose spray and spray your nose a few times a day.

Elderberry might inhibit coronaviruses (the type of virus released from Hunan)
    Elderberry has been shown in vitro to inhibit a lot of kinds of flu-like viruses because it sticks to the outside of the virus and makes it somewhat harder for it to replicate. It doesn't destroy it, just helps keep it in check and maybe cuts down your recovery time by 25%-ish.

This is an in vitro study posted in a veterinary journal that shows that it specifically inhibits coronavirus. It is not a sufficient amount of evidence to call it a treatment, the only reason I'm posting it is because there's no other treatment for coronavirus afaik. Tamiflu and other flu meds might possibly work, but you can't get those ahead of time. I wouldn't stress about this virus, but if you really want to do something you can always buy some syrup from the grocery store.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3899428/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/preppers/co...uses_the_type/

More info:
    https://www.organicfacts.net/elderberries.html
    https://www.herbalprepper.com/herbs-...iruses-part-1/
    https://www.foodtrients.com/news-pag...urb-colds-flu/

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    There's a possibility I have to go as well in a few while. Not really worried about it yet. (We'll see after the weekend)
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    There's a possibility I have to go as well in a few while. Not really worried about it yet. (We'll see after the weekend)

Might want to skip the street food vendors...

https://www.businessinsider.com/chin...er-oil-2013-10
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @Danke , stay at the hotel bar for drinks , avoid street food , wash your face with Tanqueray several times in between drinks , eat some fresh berries. I could sell you a talisman but it will be Mon before I have time to go to the post office .
    Do something Danke

A CHINESE woman who knew she was infected with the deadly coronavirus has disguised her symptoms by deliberately taking antipyretics and successfully boarded a plane to France. She then bragged about her actions online in photographs with friends she met on arrival, according to Chinese media sources.

More at: https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...us-wuhan-weibo

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A CHINESE woman who knew she was infected with the deadly coronavirus has disguised her symptoms by deliberately taking antipyretics and successfully boarded a plane to France. She then bragged about her actions online in photographs with friends she met on arrival, according to Chinese media sources.

Were there any Americans on that plane? If so, her actions are just disgusting
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

If true, she should be immediately loaded into an incinerator.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    If true, she should be immediately loaded into an incinerator.
    It's attempted mass murder.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's attempted mass murder.
    tru dat

Exclamation

BILL AND MELINDA GATES FOUNDATION & OTHERS PREDICTED UP TO 65 MILLION DEATHS VIA CORONAVIRUS – IN SIMULATION RAN 3 MONTHS AGO!

Foundation also funded group who owns virus patent and is funding research for a vaccine to stop it from spreading

Kelen McBreen | Infowars.com - JANUARY 23, 2020

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation co-hosted a pandemic exercise in late 2019 that simulated a global coronavirus outbreak.

They also just happen to fund the group who owns the patent to the deadly virus and are working on a vaccine to solve the crisis.

On June 19, 2015, the UK government-funded Pirbright Institute filed an application for a patent for the live coronavirus, which was approved on Nov 20, 2018.

Suspiciously, a Pirbright Institute “primary funder” is the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Specifically, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation donated $189,232 to the Pirbright Institute in a 2013 grant looking “to improve our understanding of, and effective use of, current control tools and measures (including vaccines) against peste des petits ruminants and foot and mouth disease, two serious diseases affecting livestock that are widespread in developing countries.”

Then, in November of 2019, the Pirbright Institute’s website published an article focusing on the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s funding of “a Livestock Antibody Hub” to the sum of $5.5 million.

“The ambitious programme of work will see extensive collaboration between multiple UK research organisations in order to utilise research outcomes in livestock disease and immunology to support human health as part of the ‘One Health’ agenda,” the Pirbright Institute wrote last November.

Professor John Hammond, the lead researcher on the program, said, “New technology has given us the opportunity to utilise these detailed antibody responses to make the next generation of vaccines and therapies, which will improve animal health and ultimately human health, as well as ensuring the security of our food supply.”

Pirbright Institute Hires Coronavirus Expert To Work With Livestock Antibody Hub

Additionally, at the same time the Pirbright Institute announced the Livestock Antibody Hub program, they posted a job opening for a 4-year Postdoctoral Scientist position on LinkedIn.com.

The advertisement for the job opening explains, “The post-holder will report to the Heads of the Coronavirus Group and the Viral Oncogenesis Group work and will work closely with a multidisciplinary team to advance the aims of the overall Pirbright Livestock Antibody Hub.”

Keep in mind, this all took place prior to the current Wuhan coronavirus outbreak.

Bill And Melinda Gates Behind Global Pandemic Excercise Focusing On Coronavirus

Meanwhile, on Oct. 18, 2019, also before the outbreak, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and the World Economic Forum co-hosted an event in NYC where “policymakers, business leaders, and health officials” worked together on a simulated coronavirus outbreak.

Titled the “Event 201” pandemic, the high-level pandemic exercise “dropped participants right in the midst of an uncontrolled coronavirus outbreak that was spreading like wildfire out of South America to wreak worldwide havoc.”

“In the simulation, CAPS (the coronavirus) resulted in a death toll of 65 million people within 18 months,” according to John Hopkins University.

A video highlight reel from the event shows fictional newscasters from “GNN” discuss how the hypothetical immune-resistant virus (nicknamed CAPS) was crippling trade and travel, sending the global economy into freefall.

It just so happens that a professor from Imperial College London recently warned the coronavirus has the same kill rate as the Spanish flu, which claimed the lives of 20-50 million people in 1918.

Event 201 Promotes Globalism As Solution To Pandemic

In the video, Tom Inglesby of the John Hopkins Center For Health Security promoted globalism as a solution, saying, “there are problems emerging that can only be solved by global business and governments working together.”

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation & Others Predicted Up To 65 Million Deaths Via Coronavirus - In Simulation Ran 3 Months Ago!
    The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation co-hosted a pandemic exercise in late 2019 that simulated a global coronavirus outbreak.

They also just happen to fund the group who owns the patent to the deadly virus and are working on a vaccine to solve the crisis.

On June 19, 2015, the UK government-funded Pirbright Institute filed an application for a patent for the live coronavirus, which was approved on Nov 20, 2018.

Suspiciously, a Pirbright Institute “primary funder” is the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Specifically, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation donated $189,232 to the Pirbright Institute in a 2013 grant looking “to improve our understanding of, and effective use of, current control tools and measures (including vaccines) against peste des petits ruminants and foot and mouth disease, two serious diseases affecting livestock that are widespread in developing countries.”

Then, in November of 2019, the Pirbright Institute’s website published an article focusing on the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s funding of “a Livestock Antibody Hub” to the sum of $5.5 million.

“The ambitious programme of work will see extensive collaboration between multiple UK research organisations in order to utilise research outcomes in livestock disease and immunology to support human health as part of the ‘One Health’ agenda,” the Pirbright Institute wrote last November.

Professor John Hammond, the lead researcher on the program, said, “New technology has given us the opportunity to utilise these detailed antibody responses to make the next generation of vaccines and therapies, which will improve animal health and ultimately human health, as well as ensuring the security of our food supply.”

Pirbright Institute Hires Coronavirus Expert To Work With Livestock Antibody Hub

Additionally, at the same time the Pirbright Institute announced the Livestock Antibody Hub program, they posted a job opening for a 4-year Postdoctoral Scientist position on LinkedIn.com.

The advertisement for the job opening explains, “The post-holder will report to the Heads of the Coronavirus Group and the Viral Oncogenesis Group work and will work closely with a multidisciplinary team to advance the aims of the overall Pirbright Livestock Antibody Hub.”

Keep in mind, this all took place prior to the current Wuhan coronavirus outbreak.

Bill And Melinda Gates Behind Global Pandemic Excercise Focusing On Coronavirus

Meanwhile, on Oct. 18, 2019, also before the outbreak, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and the World Economic Forum co-hosted an event in NYC where “policymakers, business leaders, and health officials” worked together on a simulated coronavirus outbreak.

Titled the “Event 201” pandemic, the high-level pandemic exercise “dropped participants right in the midst of an uncontrolled coronavirus outbreak that was spreading like wildfire out of South America to wreak worldwide havoc.”

“In the simulation, CAPS (the coronavirus) resulted in a death toll of 65 million people within 18 months,” according to John Hopkins University.

A video highlight reel from the event shows fictional newscasters from “GNN” discuss how the hypothetical immune-resistant virus (nicknamed CAPS) was crippling trade and travel, sending the global economy into freefall.

It just so happens that a professor from Imperial College London recently warned the coronavirus has the same kill rate as the Spanish flu, which claimed the lives of 20-50 million people in 1918.

Event 201 Promotes Globalism As Solution To Pandemic

In the video, Tom Inglesby of the John Hopkins Center For Health Security promoted globalism as a solution, saying, “there are problems emerging that can only be solved by global business and governments working together.”

Further promoting globalism as an antidote to the hypothetical outbreak, participants in Event 201 proposed the following:

1: Governments, international organizations, and businesses should plan now for how essential corporate capabilities will be utilized during a large-scale pandemic.

2: Industry, national governments, and international organizations should work together to enhance internationally held stockpiles of medical countermeasures (MCMs) to enable rapid and equitable distribution during a severe pandemic.

3: Countries, international organizations, and global transportation companies should work together to maintain travel and trade during severe pandemics.

4: Governments should provide more resources and support for the development and surge manufacturing of vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostics that will be needed during a severe pandemic.

5: Global business should recognize the economic burden of pandemics and fight for stronger preparedness.

6: International organizations should prioritize reducing economic impacts of epidemics and pandemics.

7: Governments and the private sector should assign a greater priority to developing methods to combat mis- and disinformation prior to the next pandemic response.

Once again, remember that all of this took place prior to the first documented report of the illness in late December of 2019.

Outbreak Emanates From Chinese City With Controversial Lab

The deadly virus, called the Wuhan coronavirus based on the Chinese city it emanated from, comes just years after a controversial lab was opened in Wuhan to work with the world’s most dangerous pathogens.

As of January 15, the virus made its way to America with a man carrying the illness from Wuhan, China to Washington state.

Now, a report out of Texas on Thursday claims officials at the Brazos County Health District are investigating a suspected case of the coronavirus.

At the time of writing this article, the death total has reached 25 and the estimated number of people infected with coronavirus in Wuhan is around 4,000.

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Look To Develop Coronavirus Vaccine

But don’t worry, the same globalists who own the patent to the virus and predicted its rise are “scrambling to develop vaccines for the deadly Wuhan coronavirus.”

According to Business Insider, “A coalition backed by Bill Gates is funding biotechs” who are attempting to develop a coronavirus vaccine.

Is this illness being intentionally spread so governments worldwide can join forces in the name of stopping the virus, or so groups like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation can step in and become saviors, or is it all just a massive coincidence?

The good news is internet users are wise to the activities of the Gates’ and the global elite’s depopulation agenda as seen in the following Twitter posts:

https://www.infowars.com/bill-and-me...2PJhViKLyHL1Vc

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Wuhan Coronavirus: 20+ Million Quarantined In Central China

Huanggang is about 35 miles east of Wuhan, a city of 11 million and a major hub for travel, where the new pneumonia-causing coronavirus originated. Wuhan just hours earlier halted outbound trains and flights and shut down its public-transportation system.

The Huanggang local government also said movie theaters, internet cafes and other entertainment and cultural facilities in the city center would temporarily halt operations and a central market would be shut down for an indefinite period. Starting Thursday, the local government said it would inspect every person and car entering and exiting the urban center.

Besides Wuhan, Huanggang and Ezhou, which collectively hold more than 20 million people, five other cities in the province of Hubei, of which Wuhan is the capital, enacted travel restrictions late Thursday.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/spreadi...ty-11579774393

I didn't think much of this (another swine flu) until these figures came out.

That's a dozen Manhattans.

This will either become nothing or become something quite severe in the next couple days.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Ah, didn't see that, thanks.

Common fever reducing drugs include ibuprofen, aspirin, and acetaminophen.

...which is to say that these fever-screening measures are fairly useless.

October 2019: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Others, Simulate, “An Outbreak of a Novel Zoonotic Coronavirus… That Eventually Becomes Efficiently Transmissible from Person to Person, Leading to a Severe Pandemic”

https://www.cryptogon.com/?p=57179
    That's because this same kind of thing has happened repeatedly, such that people involved in the field have been preparing for it for years.

No conspiracy required

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    @Danke , stay at the hotel bar for drinks , avoid street food , wash your face with Tanqueray several times in between drinks , eat some fresh berries. I could sell you a talisman but it will be Mon before I have time to go to the post office .
    Especially the inside of your face, near the tongue and esophagus area.

Throw in some forsythia and you're all set.

It's useful to contrast this with Ebola, the last scare.

Ebola is horrifying and has an extremely high fatality rate, almost 100% untreated, but a very low transmission rate, in part because it kills people so quickly. This, like other types of flu, has much less disturbing symptoms and a much lower fatality rate, but probably has a much higher transmission rate, because of that low fatality rate, and because of a long incubation period and because it's airborne. Altogether, this kind of disease might be more dangerous, both in that it could kill more people (3% of 7 billion is a lot more than 90% of 100,000) and in that it's more likely to cause a kind of panic. I'm not saying that this is going to be a big deal, but it has the potential to become a much bigger deal than Ebola ever did, IMO.

The American and British governments on Friday urged travelers to avoid the city of Wuhan and the surrounding area amid growing signs that the outbreak of the deadly coronavirus is worsening.

The American Embassy in Beijing advised travelers from the United States to avoid Hubei Province, where Wuhan is the capital. It said the State Department had already ordered nonemergency government personnel to leave the city. It further warned that the Chinese government might prevent travelers from arriving or leaving.

The notice from the State Department was a Level 4 advisory, the sternest warning the United States government issues regarding travel. Other Level 4 warnings issued by the State Department include travel to Syria, North Korea, Afghanistan, Iraq, Venezuela and Yemen, among other places.

The warning is a step up from Washington’s earlier cautions. Just a day before, the American government had been advising travelers to “exercise extreme caution” when traveling to the Wuhan area.

The British government in a notice dated Thursday similarly advised against all but essential travel to Wuhan.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/w...ronavirus.html

This story isn't being pushed in the media, English-language anyway, so I take these actions fairly seriously: i.e. not as PR.

And then whatever the Chinese do should be taken fairly seriously, as they don't have our kind of politics: no election season there.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast