Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1237

Thread: Poll: Judge Roy Moore leads competitors in runoff

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I'm just not seeing how that helps predict how he'll vote on things like SS, minimum wage, defense, health care, etc.

About the only thing I've noticed that helps predict how a politician does once in office is when they refer to themselves as libertarian.
    Alabama Republican US Senate nominee Roy Moore signed a resolution in 2010 that states in part, "We pledge to limit and restrain all federal government exercise of power that exceeds in any way the plain language of those few powers listed in the Constitution and to nullify all others that exceed such limit." No wonder many people in the US political establishment sought to prevent Moore’s Senate primary win.

http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...isconsin-hemp/
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Media reporting about evangelicals-Moore bond continues to be incredible:

Dec 11 2017, 6:28 am ET
    In Alabama, evangelicals weigh good, evil and Roy Moore

by Jonathan Allen
    MONTGOMERY, Ala.— The race for a U.S. Senate seat here has become a battle between good and evil.
    For many across the country and some in this Deep South state, Republican Roy Moore is the bad guy.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...-moore-n828091

Chris Matthews: Trump Is Moving Capital To Jerusalem For Roy Moore

Chris Matthews, host of MSNBC’s Hard Ball with Chris Matthews, said that the call from Trump’s administration to move the capital of Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem Wednesday “is related” to the Roy More Alabama Senate race.

“And a couple more points about this. Don’t think this isn’t related to Alabama next week. It is related. It is the Christian evangelicals down there with their crazy ideas about Israel, which is, I don’t know, mythical,” Matthews stated.
    “They don’t understand the situation over there and how tricky it is ethnically, how tricky it is tribally. They don’t care because it’s a religious belief. Trump’s playing to that this week. You watch him,” he continued.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/06/ch...for-roy-moore/

Roy Moore Accused of anti-Semitism After Suggesting George Soros Can Only Go to Hell

Soros, who is a U.S. citizen, was recently the focus of a Breitbart report that claimed the Jewish-Hungarian billionaire is funding efforts to 'register convicted felons to vote against Moore'
    https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/1.826860

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It demonstrates his strict interpretation of the Constitution and a strict interpretation of the Constitution will yield correct votes on things like SS, minimum wage, defense, health care, etc.
    Dramatically increasing "defense" spending would be Constitutional, that's true..

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    "Alabama Republican US Senate nominee Roy Moore signed a resolution in 2010 that states in part, "We pledge to limit and restrain all federal government exercise of power that exceeds in any way the plain language of those few powers listed in the Constitution and to nullify all others that exceed such limit." No wonder many people in the US political establishment sought to prevent Moore’s Senate primary win."

C'mon man. They ALL say they're for state's rights and constitutional government. At least all republicans and half the democrats. It's when you get SPECIFIC that their true positions are discovered. How does Roy Moore feel about unconstitutional stuff like SS? Minimum wage? Drug laws? Etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    "Alabama Republican US Senate nominee Roy Moore signed a resolution in 2010 that states in part, "We pledge to limit and restrain all federal government exercise of power that exceeds in any way the plain language of those few powers listed in the Constitution and to nullify all others that exceed such limit." No wonder many people in the US political establishment sought to prevent Moore’s Senate primary win."

C'mon man. They ALL say they're for state's rights and constitutional government. At least all republicans and half the democrats. It's when you get SPECIFIC that their true positions are discovered. How does Roy Moore feel about unconstitutional stuff like SS? Minimum wage? Drug laws? Etc?
    They do NOT all pledge to limit and restrain all federal government exercise of power that exceeds in any way the plain language of those few powers listed in the Constitution and to nullify all others that exceed such limit.. they just promise to "obey the Constitution" and claim to be for states rights (usually for abortion purposes only). This is more like a pre-Civil war view of the Constitution.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Dramatically increasing "defense" spending would be Constitutional, that's true..
    Ending our overseas wars and being non-interventionist and increasing defense spending is absolutely Constitutional.

You are the biggest sabatoger of liberty on this site. You twist everything around backwards and try to make people we can align with enemies.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I never said he was perfect, maybe Rand can get him to see we need to withdraw the empire and use part of the savings for any necessary spending changes.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I never said he was perfect, maybe Rand can get him to see we need to withdraw the empire and use part of the savings for any necessary spending changes.
    I heard on Breitbart Trump's about to make Rand Sec. of Defense!!!!CLICKHERE!!!!

...color me skeptical

I heard on Breitbart Trump's about to make Rand Sec. of Defense!!!!CLICKHERE!!!!

...color me skeptical
    Even if he is wrong on defense spending he is far and away better than any Senator but Rand and certainly than his Demoncrat opponent.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They do NOT all pledge to limit and restrain all federal government exercise of power that exceeds in any way the plain language of those few powers listed in the Constitution and to nullify all others that exceed such limit.. they just promise to "obey the Constitution" and claim to be for states rights (usually for abortion purposes only). This is more like a pre-Civil war view of the Constitution.
    Well we'll see, as long as my "yard sign" theory proves inaccurate.

Uh, pretty sure he is already mostly convinced. Except maybe ISIS.
    Last edited by dannno; 12-12-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Even if he is wrong on defense spending he is far and away better than any Senator but Rand and certainly than his Demoncrat opponent.
    I see no reason to believe that, for reasons explained.

Uh, pretty sure he is already convinced.
    I am simply being cautious since he is quoted as saying he wants to INCREASE defense spending.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Randal is the only senator that didn't rescind his endorsement after the media started its smear campaign of lies. I suspect that Moore will remember that.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am simply being cautious since he is quoted as saying he wants to INCREASE defense spending.
    Even Ron Paul has made statements that he is ok with increasing defense spending, in fact I think he has even said we should increase defense spending.. but with the caviet that we significantly reduce or eliminate our offense spending which is pretty much like 98% of the "defense" budget.

It's semantics.

Even Ron Paul has made statements that he is ok with increasing defense spending, in fact I think he has even said we should increase defense spending.. but with the caviet that we significantly reduce or eliminate our offense spending which is pretty much like 98% of the "defense" budget.

It's semantics.
    I hope that is what Moore means, I just don't want to give his detractors an opening to claim I am saying he is for one thing and they can "prove" he is for the other with his quote.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Even Ron Paul has made statements that he is ok with increasing defense spending, in fact I think he has even said we should increase defense spending.
    I doubt that.

It's semantics.
    What is considered "Defensive spending" vs "offensive spending"? Is a weapon "defense" until it is fired at somebody? What if they fired first?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-12-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    What is considered "Defensive spending" vs "offensive spending"?
    Protecting American soil = "Defensive spending"

Meddling in other countries = "offensive spending"

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    I doubt that.
    I'm pretty sure both him and Randal have said they would increase defense spending in relation to the percentage of the budget. meaning it could actually go down, but still be an "increase" percentage wise.

I doubt that.
    https://www.usnews.com/debate-club/a...-strengthen-us

Cutting Military Spending Does Not Mean Cutting Defense

By Ron Paul, Contributor

When asked about my intention to cut the U.S. defense budget, I am always quick to clarify that I want to cut military spending, not defense. I want America to be the most strongly defended nation in the world, but I oppose our current foreign policy that stretches our troops thin across the globe so we can play world policeman. This foolish endeavor costs us dearly in lives, and it has become far too expensive to sustain.

In the past 10 years, overall military spending has more than doubled, which should be extremely troubling for those claiming to be fiscally conservative. Frankly, it is impossible that government does not waste any of the hundreds of billions we spend on defense yearly.

We cannot control government's growth without reining in the expansion of the military industrial complex. If we are really serious about balancing the budget and addressing our unsustainable debt, nothing can be off the table.

For instance, President Obama claimed we were drawing down troop levels this year and turning over operations to the Iraqis. Surely, at least a 10 percent cost savings should have come from that move alone. Yet the funding for 2011 was exactly the same as 2010, and the spending outlook for 2012 doesn't seem to indicate any reductions in this area.

We will remain in great jeopardy if we do not immediately change course. Either we make the tough choices now, or we face the even tougher consequences later.

My Plan to Restore America does not cut one penny of defense. But it helps make America more secure, and it brings our troops home to defend this country. Under my plan, America will retain the strongest national defense in the world, but we will end expensive foreign wars, overseas nation building, and foreign welfare.

I doubt that.
    Ron Paul has advocated for increases in defense spending because the amount we currently spend on defense is almost zero.. Because it is instead spent on offense.

Protecting American soil = "Defensive spending"

Meddling in other countries = "offensive spending"

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.

You are the biggest sabatoger of liberty on this site. You twist everything around backwards and try to make people we can align with enemies.
    +rep. Everything he posts is straight from the DNC's talking points.

One thing I will hand to Zippy is that he never claims to be a libertarian or anti-socialist. Rev on the other hand will claim to be a libertarian on one thread and then defend the SPLC labeling conservative and libertarian groups as terrorists in another.

Roy Moore Rides A Horse To The Polls In Alabama Special Election

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/moore-horse-polls

Last edited by Swordsmyth; 12-12-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Ron Paul has advocated for increases in defense spending because the amount we currently spend on defense is almost zero.. Because it is instead spent on offense.
    Ron meant that DoD spending should be dramatically reduced, to what is necessary for defense.

Moore is proposing that DoD spending be increased (like Trump, who just signed a $150 billion increase).

Those positions are diametrically opposed.

Ron meant that DoD spending should be dramatically reduced, to what is necessary for defense.

Moore is proposing that DoD spending be increased (like Trump, who just signed a $150 billion increase).

Those positions are diametrically opposed.

Yes, but both Trump and Moore are opposed to the wars we are in and if they were able to end them, and of course not start them in the first place, then the budget requirements would be far smaller than if ANYBODY else in DC were running things, besides Rand and Massie and a couple others.

Yes, but both Trump and Moore are opposed to the wars we are in and if they were able to end them, and of course not start them in the first place, then the budget requirements would be far smaller than if ANYBODY else in DC were running things, besides Rand and Massie and a couple others.
    Trump likes war. They help his "tough guy" image. He has expanded bombing in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, Libya. Threatened military action against Iran, North Korea, Venezuela. Supported sending more troops to Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Trump likes war. They help his "tough guy" image. He has expanded bombing in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, Libya. Threatened military action against Iran, North Korea, Venezuela. Supported sending more troops to Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan.
    Trump doesn't like war, war costs money, he just likes using the threat of war to make deals. That means he can't look weak on war either, which sorta makes things difficult.

Trump doesn't like war, war costs money, he just likes using the threat of war to make deals. That means he can't look weak on war either, which sorta makes things difficult.
    If it is not using his own money, he doesn't mind. He did just request $700 billion in military spending- $150 billion over last year. What deals has he made with Libya, Yemen, Iran, Afghanistan, North Korea, Venezuela? He has even used the biggest non-nuclear weapon in our forces.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast