Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: War Drums: Trump's National Security Advisor Threatens Iran

War Drums: Trump's National Security Advisor Threatens Iran

Written by Daniel McAdams - Wednesday February 1, 2017

It wasn't hard to see this coming. President Trump's National Security Advisor, Gen. Michael Flynn, delivered a clear threat to the government of Iran today, ominously stating that "as of this day, we are officially putting Iran on notice." What is less clear is the the General's rationale for issuing the threat.

Flynn cites two justifications for bringing the US on war footing against Iran. Both are dubious. First, he blames Iran for a recent attack on a Saudi naval vessel carried out by Houthi forces in Yemen. According to Flynn, because the Houthis are backed by Iran -- itself a specious claim -- it is Iran that is actually responsible for the attack.

Even if it were true that the Houthis are Iranian proxies, this kind of guilt-by-association reasoning gets quite awkward when considering what some US-backed rebels in Syria have done with US-provided weapons and training. Like beheading young boys.

What Flynn fails to mention is that Saudi Arabia has been attacking neighboring Yemen since 2015, with US assistance, leaving tens of thousands killed and injured and the Middle East's poorest country in the midst of devastating famine. Saudi Arabia's war on Yemen was unprovoked, initiated only to force Riyadh's preferred leader onto its southern neighbor. Under Flynn's logic, it is perfectly fine for Saudi Arabia to initiate a genocidal war of aggression against another country. But the victim of the attack had better not fight back or the United States will blame yet a third country that has nothing to do with it.

And these are the experts?

The second reason for putting Iran at the top of Flynn's hit list: Over the weekend Iran tested a medium-range ballistic missile which Flynn claims violates the P5+1 negotiated and UN-backed Iran nuclear deal. UN Security Council Resolution 2231 "calls on" Iran to not undertake any activity related to ballistic missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons, but this section has been interpreted as a request rather than a prohibition. There are no specific provisions in the nuclear deal that explicitly prevent Iran from testing a missile.

In fact, Iran has tested several ballistic missiles since the nuclear agreement was signed but this time the US reaction is far different. Iran has been "emboldened," said General Flynn, by an Obama Administration that was "weak and ineffective" in its dealings with Iran. He went on to lament that Iran has not been "thankful to the United States for these agreements."

Flynn's subordinates have long complained of his aggressive style, including a demand after the 2012 Benghazi attack on a CIA facility that analysts find some link to Iran. This pressure to "stove-pipe" intelligence to suit a pre-determined policy is eerily reminiscent of the methods used to push the 2003 Iraq war. He was fired from his previous job as Defense Intelligence Agency chief for, reportedly, his extremely hostile views toward Iran.

Adding together President Trump's call to the Saudi king, where they discussed Iran's "destabilizing" actions, and a pre-emptive war authorization bill languishing in the US House, the current danger of a US strike on Iran is just an accident -- or a false flag -- away.

Copyright © 2017 by Ron Paul Institute. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit and a live link are given.
    Please donate to the Ron Paul Institute
    http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...hreatens-iran/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He's coming around, I'm telling ya!

See what I did there?
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I hope the honeymoon ain't over. Policy shifts seem to reshuffle forum alliances.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Written by Daniel McAdams - Wednesday February 1, 2017

He is ISRAEL's Security Advisor.

Israel First.

.DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men." -- Samuel Adams (1722-1803)

Well that didn't take long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Steady comrades. Trump and Flynn are going to fight the war to end all wars... for liberty. Just ask @silverhandorder LMAO!
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    LMAO!
    Wishing I could laugh
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

if Donald Trump starts a war,and continues these endless wars he is stupid.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    He has allowed the CIA, neocrazies and Likudnicks cloud his judgement.

.DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men." -- Samuel Adams (1722-1803)

Guys, this is the Trump regime just drawing a red line. Obama did it, so there is precedent.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Guys, this is the Trump regime just drawing a red line. Obama did it, so there is precedent.
    Yeah but... he's using permanent marker. This is different.
    and Obama's was more of a pink.

============

On a serious note there's this
    Last edited by goldenequity; 02-01-2017 at 06:34 PM.

How soon before a Chinese warship shows up in the Persian Gulf?
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    Not. Good.
    There is no spoon.

I see Putin & Trump kinda like this...

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post

LOL no Trump is Stringer Bell
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    LOL no Trump is Stringer Bell
    haha... maybe, maybe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    Russia isn't giving up much ground, supporting Iran in saying that the test did not violate the UN agreement. I'd think if they were looking for a tit-for-tat on Ukraine (i.e. no further sanctions, reduction in sanctions) they would have at least remained silent.?

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    Russia isn't giving up much ground, supporting Iran in saying that the test did not violate the UN agreement. I'd think if they were looking for a tit-for-tat on Ukraine (i.e. no further sanctions, reduction in sanctions) they would have at least remained silent.?
    They're not looking for a tit-for-tat. Russia has already begun attacking Ukraine. The assumption is that Trump simply won't do anything.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    They're not looking for a tit-for-tat. Russia has already begun attacking Ukraine. The assumption is that Trump simply won't do anything.

Your candidate Hillary would have already started something with Putin. To show her balls are bigger.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

They're not looking for a tit-for-tat. Russia has already begun attacking Ukraine.
    I think both sides have motive for the flare up.

The assumption is that Trump simply won't do anything.
    Is this because: Putin is 'alpha-ing' Trump? Or because they see eye to eye? Personally I think Trump's presidency has a lot to do with the great Israel and it looks like Ukraine is playing the good puppy:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/six-wee...het-with-kiev/

[...]Most of Ukraine was shocked at the UN vote’

Most Ukrainians were surprised and disappointed at their government’s support for Resolution 2334, said Oleksandr Feldman, a member of the Ukrainian parliament and the president of the Ukrainian Jewish Committee, who is visiting Israel this week.

“The Jewish community was shocked over the Ukraine government’s vote. And most of Ukrainian society was also shocked. They didn’t expect it. It was a scandal. It is still a scandal,” Feldman told The Times of Israel during an interview this week, speaking through an interpreter.

Indeed, even the Ukrainian government has come to regret voting in favor of the resolution and would oppose any similar texts going forward he said. “Ukrainians want to think about this resolution as history; they want to leave the past behind.”[...]

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    Is this because: Putin is 'alpha-ing' Trump? Or because they see eye to eye?
    Could be either, or both. If they haven't discussed the topic, then Putin is testing the new regime to see what their left and right limits are in terms of freedom of action in Europe. If they have discussed it, it could be that Trump is simply allowing Putin to pursue his military goals in Europe without interfering.
    Pinochet is the model

Said by nobody who is not swallowing the talking points hook, line and sinker by the neocons in the State department. I don't believe every horrible things said about said about you in this forum, but there is definitely something off with this user.

Russia just had a successful coup done by the neocons in its backyard and they are just reacting to what happened. No matter what Victoria Nuland and Samantha Powers want to make you believe, Russia is not the aggressor in the Ukrainian crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Said by nobody who is not swallowing the talking points hook, line and sinker by the neocons in the State department. I don't believe every horrible things said about said about you in this forum, but there is definitely something off with this user.
    Are you triggered?

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Russia is not the aggressor in the Ukrainian crisis.
    Has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Russia either has or has not increased actions in Eastern Ukraine. The causes and instigators of the conflict do not matter.

Are you disputing the fact that attacks have increased since the inauguration? Or do you think that's just coincidental?
    Pinochet is the model

Are you triggered?
    Absofuckinglutely, seeing neocon propaganda posted on RPF triggers the hell out of me. So yes, I am not just triggered now, I am triggered just about every single time I read a post from you especially when it is related to foreign policy.

Has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Russia either has or has not increased actions in Eastern Ukraine. The causes and instigators of the conflict do not matter.

Are you disputing the fact that attacks self defense? have increased since the inauguration?
    Just because is an increased action doesn't mean it is due to Ukrainian separatists attacking the American captured Ukraine. it could just be them defending the hell out of themselves. I am sure even a neocon policy pushing person like you believe that people who had their country taken from them have a right to defend themselves.

Or do you think that's just coincidental?
    Coincidental that American occupied Ukraine have used this opportunity to attack Ukrainian resistance? I dunno.

Thanks very much, now everybody knows my trigger

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wars are necessary to create new heroes. Why are you against heroes, why do you hate the brave and courageous? Without War there are no men proven worthy of great statues and to lend their names to schools and streets. No icons for the young boys to look to emulate. War is the fire that removes the slag, and leaves only the steely eyed and hardened to lead us forth into the future!!!

Russia has already begun attacking Ukraine.
    No facts needed for The Count. Simply sing the neocon propaganda line.

This is Poroshenko's desperate attempts to try to sabotage US-Russia rapprochement by attacking Donbass and then trying to falsely blame Russia.
    Fortunately it is failing miserably.

"During the last two years the Ukrainian army experienced a massive build up. New equipment came in from the U.S. and other NATO countries and U.S. training missions ...The fight was planned and started just after the inauguration of the new U.S. president Trump. ... He has announced to seek good relations with Moscow." To prevent that, Poroshenko launched his desperate gamble attacking Donbass, violating the ceasefire and trying to blame Russia. http://www.moonofalabama.org/2017/02...rochement.html

The OSCE Special monitoring Mission reported:

The SMM recorded more ceasefire violations [1] in Donetsk region, including about 420 explosions, compared with 228 in the previous reporting period. More than 160 explosions were recorded around the Svitlodarsk area, with exchanges of fire also recorded around Avdiivka and Yasynuvata.
    The Mission revisited a Ukrainian Armed Forces permanent storage site, whose location corresponded with the relevant withdrawal lines and observed that 12 tanks (T-64) and four mortars (2B9 Vasilek, 82mm) were missing, as previously noted.
    The SMM followed up on reports of a blockade of a railway track near government-controlled Hirske. The railway leads towards the “LPR”-controlled settlements of Donetskyi and Sentianivka (formerly Frunze) (49 and 44km west of Luhansk, respectively). The Mission had observed a train travelling east through Donetskyi on 23 January. The SMM observed that the tracks had been blocked by tree trunks under a bridge on the southern edge of the settlement. About 20 unarmed men wearing camouflage clothing told the Mission that they were veterans from former volunteer battalions. The SMM observed a tent near the blockade site.

The OSCE " observed that the intense artillery barrage was launched north to south originating from the government held area."

The Kiev forces even launched a missile attack on an OSCE drone that was observing their violations.

"The German government let it know that it sees through his games and has no interest in them. The government friendly daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung "leaked" (translated here) that Berlin knows that Poroshenko started the fight to influence Trump and to prevent any sanction relief for Russia."

It was so blatant, even the Washington funded propaganda station Radio Free Europe had to call out Poroshenko:

"“Frustrated by the stalemate in this 33-month war of attrition, concerned that Western support is waning, and sensing that U.S. President Donald Trump could cut Kyiv out of any peace negotiations as he tries to improve fraught relations with Moscow, Ukrainian forces anxious to show their newfound strength have gone on what many here are calling a ‘creeping offensive.. . . In doing so, the pro-Kyiv troops have sparked bloody clashes with their enemy, which has reportedly made advances of its own — or tried to — in recent weeks.”
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Seymour Hersh wrote of "the repeated inability of the best and the brightest of the Joint Special Operations Command to find definitive evidence of a nuclear-weapons production program in Iran….. with lots of belligerent talk but no definitive evidence of a nuclear-weapons program." And perhaps most damning, the U.K. Guardian: "Leaked spy cables show Binyamin Netanyahu’s dramatic declaration to world leaders in 2012 that Iran was about a year away from making a nuclear bomb was contradicted by his own secret service, according to a top-secret Mossad document." Robert Fisk in The Independent 2012: "The Israeli President warns us now that Iran is on the cusp of producing a nuclear weapon. Heaven preserve us. Yet we reporters do not mention that Shimon Peres, as Israeli Prime Minister, said exactly the same thing in 1996. That was 16 years ago. And we do not recall that the current Israeli PM, Benjamin Netanyahu, said in 1992 that Iran would have a nuclear bomb by 1999. That would be 13 years ago. Same old story. We’ve been here before – and it suits Israel that we never forget ‘Nuclear Iran.’"
    http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/02/...ons-and-plans/

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    No facts needed for The Count. Simply sing the neocon propaganda line.

This is Poroshenko's desperate attempts to try to sabotage US-Russia rapprochement by attacking Donbass and then trying to falsely blame Russia.
    Fortunately it is failing miserably.

"During the last two years the Ukrainian army experienced a massive build up. New equipment came in from the U.S. and other NATO countries and U.S. training missions ...The fight was planned and started just after the inauguration of the new U.S. president Trump. ... He has announced to seek good relations with Moscow." To prevent that, Poroshenko launched his desperate gamble attacking Donbass, violating the ceasefire and trying to blame Russia. http://www.moonofalabama.org/2017/02...rochement.html

The SMM recorded more ceasefire violations [1] in Donetsk region, including about 420 explosions, compared with 228 in the previous reporting period. More than 160 explosions were recorded around the Svitlodarsk area, with exchanges of fire also recorded around Avdiivka and Yasynuvata.
    The Mission revisited a Ukrainian Armed Forces permanent storage site, whose location corresponded with the relevant withdrawal lines and observed that 12 tanks (T-64) and four mortars (2B9 Vasilek, 82mm) were missing, as previously noted.
    The SMM followed up on reports of a blockade of a railway track near government-controlled Hirske. The railway leads towards the “LPR”-controlled settlements of Donetskyi and Sentianivka (formerly Frunze) (49 and 44km west of Luhansk, respectively). The Mission had observed a train travelling east through Donetskyi on 23 January. The SMM observed that the tracks had been blocked by tree trunks under a bridge on the southern edge of the settlement. About 20 unarmed men wearing camouflage clothing told the Mission that they were veterans from former volunteer battalions. The SMM observed a tent near the blockade site.

The OSCE " observed that the intense artillery barrage was launched north to south originating from the government held area."

The Kiev forces even launched a missile attack on an OSCE drone that was observing their violations.

"The German government let it know that it sees through his games and has no interest in them. The government friendly daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung "leaked" (translated here) that Berlin knows that Poroshenko started the fight to influence Trump and to prevent any sanction relief for Russia."

It was so blatant, even the Washington funded propaganda station Radio Free Europe had to call out Poroshenko:

"“Frustrated by the stalemate in this 33-month war of attrition, concerned that Western support is waning, and sensing that U.S. President Donald Trump could cut Kyiv out of any peace negotiations as he tries to improve fraught relations with Moscow, Ukrainian forces anxious to show their newfound strength have gone on what many here are calling a ‘creeping offensive.. . . In doing so, the pro-Kyiv troops have sparked bloody clashes with their enemy, which has reportedly made advances of its own — or tried to — in recent weeks.”
    Look at that, here we have the state dept/neocon spweing propaganda poster Thecount being exposed. You know you have gone way too far when the pro American empire Radio free Europe is less neocon than you.

Thanks Azjoe for backing me up

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post

You seem to have forgotten to bold the 'as previously noted' section, highlighting that this was not a new development.

You also seem to have mysteriously omitted this part, from the same report:
    In areas not controlled by the Government the SMM observed a convoy of two infantry fighting vehicles (IFV; BMP-2), three anti-aircraft guns (ZU-23-2, 23mm), and 12 armoured personnel carriers (APC; MTLB) near Kadiivka, one APC (MTLB) near Kadiivka later in the day, one APC (MTLB) near Brianka (46km south-west of Luhansk), and one APC (BTR-80) near Luhansk city.

So, a 'there are pieces of government equipment which we don't know where they are' merited mentioning, but 'we directly saw separatist equipment' doesn't warrant a mention.

Is there a reason you didn't choose the most recent report to copy from? Would that reason be this section of the report:
    On the night of 30-31 January, while in “DPR”-controlled Horlivka (39km north-east of Donetsk) the SMM saw 62 airbursts 8-20km south-west and heard over 100 undetermined explosions and heavy-machine-gun fire 4-10 km south-west, north-west and 10-15km south-south-east. On the morning of 31 January, the SMM heard four undetermined explosions 8-9km south and south-west. In the afternoon the SMM heard 190 undetermined explosions and approximately 1,800 outgoing explosions assessed as multiple launch rocket system (MLRS) (type unknown) fire and 50 undetermined explosions 20km south-west and south-south-east. Later the SMM heard 135 undetermined explosions and 2,640 explosions assessed as outgoing MLRS fire 20km south-west. In the early evening the SMM heard 120 explosions assessed as impacts of MLRS rounds 6km north-west.

On 31 January, positioned in “DPR”-controlled Yasynuvata (16km north-east of Donetsk) the SMM heard 65-80 explosions assessed as outgoing MLRS fire in four distinct salvos 8-10km south and some of their impacts 8-12km west-south-west, and 621 undetermined explosions, 119 explosions assessed as outgoing rounds, 40 explosions assessed as impacts, five explosions assessed as impacts of automatic grenade launcher , all at distances 3-12km north, north-east, south-east, south, south-west, west and north-west.

So, y'know, 3,520 outgoing MLRS rockets from separatist territory in a single day. But, y'know, it's all one side's fault.
    Pinochet is the model

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount;6410352 Is there a reason you didn't choose the [URL="http://www.osce.org/ukraine-smm/296961"
    most recent report[/URL] to copy from? Would that reason be this section of the report:
    On the night of 30-31 January, while in “DPR”-controlled Horlivka (39km north-east of Donetsk) the SMM saw 62 airbursts 8-20km south-west and heard over 100 undetermined explosions and heavy-machine-gun fire 4-10 km south-west, north-west and 10-15km south-south-east. ... On 31 January, positioned in “DPR”-controlled Yasynuvata (16km north-east of Donetsk) the SMM heard 65-80 explosions assessed as outgoing MLRS ...

So, y'know, 3,520 outgoing MLRS rockets from separatist territory in a single day. But, y'know, it's all one side's fault.
    Now The Count is just being dishonest. Note those dates : Jan 30 and 31. That is 2 and 3 days after Poroshenko launched his full assault on Donbass. Of course they have the right to shoot back after someone launches a full attack on them.
    This is the typical neocon BS. Attack a nation and then condemn them when they defend themselves.

The Count's perpetual pro-neoocon positions border on deceitful lunacy. There is no question the Donbass peoples are not invading the rest of Ukraine. They are not launching invasive attacks on Kiev. They aren't bombing cities and turning them to ruins. It is not the people of Donbass that are trying to Conquer the rest of Ukraine. It is the Kiev Maidan regime that has and is trying to conquer and oppress Donbass. It is not the peoples in the cities of Kiev, Dnipro, Lviv, Odessa that have suffered such devastation, artillery and destruction of their cities. We know which cities have and are being bombarded and destroyed. You don't have to be the sharpest tool in the shed to recognize this has been a one sided aggressive war against Donbass. Rather, it takes unceasing willful denial to maintain otherwise.
    Last edited by AZJoe; 02-02-2017 at 02:43 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast