Thread: Republican establishment warms to Trump after big New York win

Republican establishment warms to Trump after big New York win

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (Reuters) - U.S. Republican officials began meeting on Wednesday, a day after Donald Trump's crushing victory in a New York presidential nominating contest, and said he has been winning growing acceptance within their ranks - but they want to see the billionaire do more to mend fences with the party establishment.

Trump, the front-runner to become the Republican presidential candidate in November's election, was the focus for the party's spring meeting of 168 Republican National Committee (RNC) members in Hollywood, Florida. The three-day conclave at an oceanside resort will take stock of the race for the White House and prepare for a possible contested convention in July in Cleveland.

The New York real estate mogul's win Tuesday in his home state over rivals Ted Cruz and John Kasich was an important milestone for RNC members, who said it could put him on a pathway to acquire the 1,237 delegates needed to win the nomination outright without a contested convention.

"There are a fair number of RNC members who were discounting his chances of success when we met in January and now see that he’s building a substantial lead and may in fact get to 1,237 before we get to the convention," said Steve Duprey, an RNC member from New Hampshire.

"The New York results were such an overwhelming win," Duprey said. "It's impressive. That's what I've heard people talking about."

RNC members said Trump could help improve the climate by taking steps to end the bad blood that has developed between him and the committee's leadership, including RNC Chairman Reince Priebus.

Trump has said that Cruz's harvest of delegates in Colorado, where rank-and-file Republicans did not vote or caucus, showed that the party's nominating process is "rigged." He has wondered whether Priebus, who is popular with the RNC ranks, should continue in his job if Trump is the nominee.

"I think it's time for that rhetoric to end," said Jeff Essmann, chairman of the Montana Republican Party.

Bob Kapel, the RNC member representing Washington, D.C., noted that Trump had toned down his rhetoric in his New York victory speech on Tuesday night, and said he would like to see that continue. Kapel is a delegate for former candidate Marco Rubio and now backs Ohio Governor John Kasich.

Nevertheless, Kapel said of Trump and the Republicans: "We’re about winning the White House. Obviously, I have issues with him, but our nominee will be our nominee."

South Carolina Republican Party Chairman Matt Moore said Trump's recent hiring of Rick Wiley, a Republican veteran who was former presidential candidate Scott Walker's campaign manager, was a good sign.

"It’s a positive signal despite a lack of general outreach over the past year, and I think the Trump campaign, for all the bluster, recognizes that the RNC will be an integral partner if he is the nominee and it’ll be almost impossible to win the presidency without the RNC as a partner," Moore said.

In a good sign for Trump, there appeared to be no significant move by the Republican leadership, at least at this meeting, to change the rules governing the convention. There has been talk of rewriting the rules in a way that could benefit an establishment-backed candidate like Kasich.

Trump, Cruz and Kasich all sent envoys to the meeting to explain their pathways to the nomination.

A source familiar with the situation said Wiley and other Trump representatives were meeting with Republican officials from the five Northeastern states that will hold primary elections next Tuesday: Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Maryland.

Cruz's campaign manager, Jeff Roe, held a closed-door briefing with RNC members to explain how Cruz would be a better Republican nominee than Trump, saying the U.S. senator from Texas would energize the party's grassroots supporters.

Roe dismissed talk that Cruz might now be in trouble. Cruz's pathway to the nomination is now almost entirely dependent on forcing a contested convention and winning the nomination on the second or third ballot.

"There's going to be ebbs and flows to this campaign," Roe told reporters. "This campaign is going through (the last primary elections on June 7 and likely to the convention."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They're trying to stay relevant.

I hope Trump breaks them in half and makes them crawl like zombies towards the exits while the rest of the GOP grassroots kicks them in the head along the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

You can always recognize the politicians, they spot a parade and then run around to get out in front of it and then falsely pretend to be leading it.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 04-22-2016 at 07:10 AM.

I'm not sure they were ever really opposed to him if that's the case.

Its going to be Trump or Hitlery.

“[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

I guess he's not going to destroy the GOP after all. Who really thought they'd allow that to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post

I hope Trump breaks them in half and makes them crawl like zombies towards the exits while the rest of the GOP grassroots kicks them in the head along the way.
    Not going to happen, they will be in full lip lock by convention time. Trump will make the gop great again. LMAO
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    I'm not sure they were ever really opposed to him if that's the case.
    Perhaps just waiting for the big check to clear.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    I guess he's not going to destroy the GOP after all. Who really thought they'd allow that to happen?
    (Mod edit)

The fact that Attila the Trump is managing to beat some of these people into submission is precisely what you would expect from someone that is destroying the GOP.

I realize that this probably upsets you and that you really wish that Bill Kristol would continue to have his way instead, but that is really neither here nor there.
    Donald Trump > SJW ass-tears

Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post
    (mod edit)

The fact that Attila the Trump is managing to beat some of these people into submission is precisely what you would expect from someone that is destroying the GOP.

I realize that this probably upsets you and that you really wish that Bill Kristol would continue to have his way instead, but that is really neither here nor there.
    And you're (mod edit), Trump isn't going to destroy anything. But carry on in your (mod edit) world.
    "The Patriarch"

This is some straight up Orwellian double think. Hell if I would of asked you up until 2015 if Trump was an insider who pays for play you would say yes. So now the neocons and the MSM tells me that Trump is presidential. This is like telling me $#@! tastes good. The MSM has finally gone full poision pill, and you have people in here, supposedly Ron Paul people telling me that the MSM is giving Trump the Ron Paul Treatment??

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    (Mod edit)

The assertion that Trump is destroying the GOP has not at all been established, and all avaliable evidence shows that this is a false claim. I encourage everyone to read and participate is a detailed analysis of this notion.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-establishment
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I think it's more of a logical conclusion when you have two camps that are largely aligned but fighting for the top spot. Once one side gets the clear dominant position a deal will be made.

A truce between Trump and the GOPe was foreseen in this analysis:

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    The assertion that Trump is destroying the GOP has not at all been established, and all avaliable evidence shows that this is a false claim. I encourage everyone to read and participate is a detailed analysis of this notion.

By "destroying" the GOP, I mean destroying the near absolute control that the cabal (the people behind Kristol etc) have over it.

"Reformutation" might actually be a much better description of what is going on.

A person does not have to be anything approaching a libertarian in order to accomplish that.

Protecting the GOP as we know it is nothing but Stockholm Syndrome.

Attila the Trump must be encouraged in order for nature to be allowed to take its course.
    Donald Trump > SJW ass-tears

By "destroying" the GOP, I mean destroying the near absolute control that the cabal (the people behind Kristol etc) have over it.

"Reformutation" might actually be a much better description of what is going on.

A person does not have to be anything approaching a libertarian in order to accomplish that.

Attila the Trump must be encouraged in order for nature to be allowed to take its course.
    Sometimes I think that you are onto something here. So what you are saying is, so what if Trump is a poison pill, but like a dog that keeps getting into the catbox and eating $#@! because it absolutely can't help itself, there is a natural mechanism and the dog will throw up the cat $#@!, and hopefully after they do that they will never want $#@! ever again.

My only fear is that the $#@! will kill my dog, and I don't want to get a new dog. I kind of like my dog, it keeps me warm when its cold at night and cool when its hot outside and safe so I can sleep easy. Hell, I would be an idiot if I didn't know my dog was the best dog on the block, everybody else's dog bites them all of the time and $#@!s in their own back yard.

Mod edit.....
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries

Thanks. Please make those points over here for further analysis:

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Sometimes I think that you are onto something here. So what you are saying is, so what if Trump is a poison pill, but like a dog that keeps getting into the catbox and eating $#@! because it absolutely can't help itself, there is a natural mechanism and the dog will throw up the cat $#@!, and hopefully after they do that they will never want $#@! ever again.

My only fear is that the $#@! will kill my dog, and I don't want to get a new dog. I kind of like my dog, it keeps me warm when its cold at night and cool when its hot outside and safe so I can sleep easy. Hell, I would be an idiot if I didn't know my dog was the best dog on the block, everybody else's dog bites them all of the time and $#@!s in their own back yard.
    All the others will most definitely kill your dog. Dead dog. Done. Over.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Last edited by donnay; 04-21-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    All the others will most definitely kill your dog. Dead dog. Done. Over.
    Well I'm sorry that I am not ready to accept that the we are past the point of no return and that the greatest destruction of liberty comes from consequence of policy but rather incompetency. You could be right though, and that is a sobering thought for sure, for that here is the nonsense that inspired my dead dog analogy.

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic