Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What made Newt ineligible for the draft?

What made Newt ineligible for the draft?

If Ron was married and had two kids why was he called to serve, but Newt was ineligible? Did he lie about that or was there another reason?
    "Every generation deserves to live free." ~Ron Paul
    "It's hard to be free, but when it works it sure is worth it." ~Janis Joplin

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Some people didn't get called ,but newt most likely avoided it with his daddies connections.

My dad (who was drafted during Vietnam) made the comment that he served with a bunch of guys who were married and had kids. It seems Newt's connections got him out of service.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

Not getting called is different than being ineligible, right? I think I would like to hear him answer that before SC.

Quote Originally Posted by musicmax View Post
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...oyernewt1.html

Multiple deferments referred to about halfway down.
    Great find!!!

From the article:

In any case, Newt Gingrich was a driven lad by the time he arrived at Baxter High School, and politics was his passion --as a junior, he passed out campaign literature for Nixon's 1960 campaign. His singular determination was perhaps best seen in his first successful romance, a schoolboy crush he developed on his high-school math teacher. Lots of boys get romantic notions about pretty young teachers, but Newt Gingrich didn't let go of his. After graduation, when she moved to Atlanta, he went to Atlanta too, enrolling at Emory University. Gingrich pursued his former math teacher, seven years his senior, until Jackie agreed to become his wife. They were married at the end of his freshman year, and soon they had their first child, Kathy. Gingrich then entered that hazy passage through ambiguity experienced by the majority of young American men during the 1960s. Like most of his generation, Gingrich was moderately anti-Establishment (he tried pot, and participated in a campus protest at Tulane University) and chose not to go to Vietnam, opting for deferments available to him as a father and a student. But unlike most young men his age, Gingrich would be haunted by his decision. Later, when, as a hawkish congressman, he would lash out against the "weak-on-defense left" and espouse universal military training, his opponents would investigate Gingrich's own military background.

Sure enough, he found himself listed among a sizable group of noted conservative hawks (including George Will and Richard Perle) who had managed to avoid the war-the "war wimps," as they came to be called. In 1985, he told Jane Mayer of The Wall Street Journal that he still believed that "Vietnam was the right battlefield at the right time." Why didn't he go? "Given everything I believe in, a large part of me thinks I should have gone over," he allowed. But, recovering, he added, "Part of the question I had to ask myself was what difference I would have made."

Pretty sure that deferments only apply to people who are actually eligible and do get called.

So it was his step father that served in Vietnam? And Ron could have deferred as well, but didn't?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Pretty sure that deferments only apply to people who are actually eligible and do get called.
    That means he was eligible and therefore his statement was false. I'm justclarifying as there will probably be a lot of discussion about this exchange.

maybe he was too obese.
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Im gonna say he claims flat feet
    "They sure like eating their marshmallows."

His head was too fat to fit in standard issue helmets.

Let's see Jesse Ventura is younger than Newt and he went to Nam.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

'war wimps' LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Philmanoman View Post
    Im gonna say he claims flat feet
    If that were true...he would have screamed that tonight, but didn't. If he comes back with that at a later time, that means he's paying someone off to say otherwise.

They had a hard time getting Newt out of the fetal position...4f...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Like most of his generation, Gingrich was moderately anti-Establishment (he tried pot, and participated in a campus protest at Tulane University) and chose not to go to Vietnam, opting for deferments available to him as a father and a student.
    "Can't get healthcare to our old people, can't educate our young people, but we can bomb the sh*t out of your country alright" - George Carlin

"We're in two wars that are costing us trillions of dollars. Those trillions of dollars should have been left in the economy to build jobs and produce prosperity here at home" - Ron Paul

"We spend 1.5 trillion dollars overseas in wars we don't need to be in and we need to cut there. And then put that money back into our economy here." - Ron Paul

Good find turned into a fun tweet: https://twitter.com/#!/mju1983/statu...14674209161216
    How have you helped spread the message of Liberty, Peace, & Prosperity today?
    "Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth." -George Washington

Dick Cheney had 5 deferments, he used the student, then marriage, check boxes
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Here is the exchange from last night that inspired this question:

Opposition Candidate Research Threads for 2016: Donald Trump | Rick Santorum | Jeb Bush | Rick Perry | Marco Rubio | Ben Carson | Chris Christie | Scott Walker | Mike Huckabee | Paul Ryan | Ted Cruz | Bobby Jindal | Carly Fiorina | Hillary Clinton | Bernie Sanders | Elizabeth Warren | Jim Webb | Gary Johnson

{ Visit PoliceStateUSA.com }

Is there some kind of public record that can show conclusively if he asked for deferments or was simply "ineligible" and did not need deferments?
    Opposition Candidate Research Threads for 2016: Donald Trump | Rick Santorum | Jeb Bush | Rick Perry | Marco Rubio | Ben Carson | Chris Christie | Scott Walker | Mike Huckabee | Paul Ryan | Ted Cruz | Bobby Jindal | Carly Fiorina | Hillary Clinton | Bernie Sanders | Elizabeth Warren | Jim Webb | Gary Johnson

{ Visit PoliceStateUSA.com }

If he was never actually drafted I don't think he would have needed the deferments.

He was eligible though, that was an outright lie saying he wasn't eligible.
    Last edited by RickyJ; 01-08-2012 at 03:53 AM.

Question

You just did a better job of investigative journalism than CNN. May I inquire as to how long it took you to find this information?

Followup, what are you currently listening to?

Marriage and fatherhood changed your call-up order but did not make you ineligible. http://www.sss.gov/FactSheets/FSeffects.pdf

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    not that this means anything but I did find this

http://2012.republican-candidates.org/Military.php

"Gingrich received a draft deferment during the Vietnam War owing to the fact that he was studying at the time in Tulane University and he had children. In addition, he was also impaired with short-sightedness and had flat feet (pes planus)."
    "They sure like eating their marshmallows."

If he was ineligible why would he need a deferment?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Paulatized View Post
    If he was ineligible why would he need a deferment?
    It seems Gingrich was caught in yet another lie.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Philmanoman View Post
    not that this means anything but I did find this

http://2012.republican-candidates.org/Military.php

"Gingrich received a draft deferment during the Vietnam War owing to the fact that he was studying at the time in Tulane University and he had children. In addition, he was also impaired with short-sightedness and had flat feet (pes planus)."
    I think it's pathetic that someone would use "flat feet" as an excuse not to serve during time of war. Im pretty sure having flat feet doesn't affect your ability to serve in a non combat role.

Newt also said "I was too young"

I'm sure ole Newt will be fact-checked today (hopefully)
    Speak the truth, even if your voice shakes.

Quote Originally Posted by vechorik View Post
    Newt also said "I was too young"

I'm sure ole Newt will be fact-checked today (hopefully)
    Too young? He was 25 in 1968.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast