Thread: Why didn't the countries of Latin America become economic superpowers like the United States?

Why didn't the countries of Latin America become economic superpowers like the United States?

What were the factors?

What were the differences between the British Colonization of the Americas and the Portuguese/Spanish Colonization of the Americas?

What was the difference between the U.S Revolution/War for Independence and the Brazilian/Spanish American Revolution/War of Independence?
    "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever." - Founding Father Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How did US gain such an influence over the world? http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...over-the-world

I wonder if the topography of the region has anything to do with it. You have the Amazon rain forest in the northern part of the state, the Andes mountains in Chile, and the pampas of Argentina. Not to mention an abundance of coastline. Sounds like a lot of infrastructure to support. Both Portuguese and Spanish are spoken on the continent, plus all the tribal languages.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

The International Monetary Fund and the World Bank are used by American corporations to turn second and third world countries into financial provinces of the U.S. through loans that they could not repay and essentially keeping these countries in perpetual debt to that financial structure.

Bada bing.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    How did US gain such an influence over the world? http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...over-the-world
    Watch out for those other countries. They're making a serious comeback. They're organizing.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5830309

I've stopped updating tht thread given the lack of interest in it but lots and lots and lots and lots of things have happened and are still evolving silently without so much as a whisper from media.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I wonder if the topography of the region has anything to do with it. You have the Amazon rain forest in the northern part of the state, the Andes mountains in Chile, and the pampas of Argentina. Not to mention an abundance of coastline. Sounds like a lot of infrastructure to support. Both Portuguese and Spanish are spoken on the continent, plus all the tribal languages.
    Thread winner until Zippy chimes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    The International Monetary Fund and the World Bank are used by American corporations to turn second and third world countries into financial provinces of the U.S. through loans that they could not repay and essentially keeping these countries in perpetual debt to that financial structure.

Bada bing.
    Confessions of an Economic Hitman - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...conomic-Hitman

Quote Originally Posted by uncharted View Post
    What were the factors?

What were the differences between the British Colonization of the Americas and the Portuguese/Spanish Colonization of the Americas?

What was the difference between the U.S Revolution/War for Independence and the Brazilian/Spanish American Revolution/War of Independence?
    Because at heart , deep within the people from europe that settled in those lands were brutal killers and communists .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Because at heart , deep within the people from europe that settled in those lands were brutal killers and communists .
    Those were actually sent to Australia, the US was receiving only nice people.
    Last edited by timosman; 07-23-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Bad culture and Bad politics, compounded by outside predation by stronger powers.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I almost agree with the previous quote, but the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank are used by the City of London to turn countries into financial provinces of England...
    BRICS like John Perkins are disinformation stories to keep us busy...

Greg Palast's explanation is much better, see the next quote from the following thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...d-Bank-and-IMF
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    DESTROYING - ECUADOR, BOLIVIA, ARGENTINA, CHILE, BRAZIL
    The following is based on Greg Palast’s The Best democracy money can buy (2002): http://www.chemtrails911.com/books/T...0Palast%20.pdf
    The strategy to destroy economies is something like: take money out of circulation to crash the economy, then the big bankers buy the economy pennies for dollars, while in the meantime the country has been indebted, and has to do what the World Bank tells them.
    In 1983 the IMF forced Ecuador’s government to borrow $1.5 billion to take over the private debts of Ecuador’s elite. In return Ecuador had to hike prices in electricity and other necessities, and eliminate 120,000 jobs. Then in 2000, 2001 to finish Ecuador off, it was ordered to: 1) raise the price of cooking gas with 80%, 2) eliminate 26,000 jobs, 3) cut wages with 50%, 4) transfer its biggest water system to foreign operators, 5) allow British Petroleum’s ARCO to build an oil pipeline.
    In Bolivia some riots broke out, when Bolivians couldn’t get drinking water. To “help” Bolivia: Samuel Soria deposited $10 million on a Citibank account in New York, that never returned to Bolivia. Water prices, could rise with 150% under the new owner, International Waters Ltd (IWL) of London.
    In 2001 Argentina got ordered to cut their government budget deficit from $5.3 billion to $4.1 billion. Taking 1.2 billion dollar out of the economy already in recession, did wonders: by the end of March 2001, Argentina’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) had already dropped with 2.1% compared a year earlier. Argentina had to reduce jobs, wages, and pensions. While the IMF offered an $8 billion aid package - Argentina had to pay $27 billion a year because of their debt of $128 billion (to the likes of Citibank). The French bought the water system and raised prices up to 400%. And Argentina got threatened with sanctions by the USA to liberalise the pharmaceuticals industry.
    In 1973 General Pinochet took dictatorial control of Chile, and destroyed the economy. The CIA, since October 1970, had helped Pinochet to oust president Salvador Allende. US Ambassador to Chile, Edward Malcolm Korry explained that US companies used the CIA as an international collection agency. In 1973 Chile’s unemployment rate was 4.3%; by 1983, after 10 years of free market liberalisation, unemployment was at 22%, while wages had declined by 40%. In 1970 20% of Chile’s population lived in poverty, by 1990 – when dictator Pinochet left office - this number had doubled to 40%. In 1982 and 1983, the GDP dropped with 19%, and foreign companies bought 85% of Chile’s profitable industries. The USA the State Department reported: “Chile is a casebook study in sound economic management”. The respected economist Milton Friedman called this “The Miracle of Chile”.
    In 1998 —the World Bank, IMF, Inter-American Development Bank and the International Bank for Settlements — offered $41.5 billion credit to Brazil. The World Bank designed a “Master Plan for Brazil” to create a “flexible public sector workforce”: reduce Salary/Benefits; Pensions; Job Stability; Employment, and increase Work Hours. After the Brazilian real dropped with 40%: British Gas bought the SaoPaolo Gas Company, while Enron and Houston Industries bought the Rio and Sao Paolo electricity companies and a pipeline.
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Greg Palast's explanation is much better, see the next quote from the following thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...d-Bank-and-IMF
    How is it better? Can you stop pushing your own threads nobody would bother to read? -rep

100 years of US meddling and tomfuckery, followed by another hundred years of even more asinine communist meddling and tomfuckery.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    100 years of US meddling and tomfuckery, followed by another hundred years of even more asinine communist meddling and tomfuckery.
    Yep.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    How is it better? Can you stop pushing your own threads nobody would bother to read? -rep
    Why don't you stop pushing Economic disinformation Hitman John Perkins in the spotlight? His whole book offers absolutely nothing...

Don't even bother reading about Bilateral Investment Treaties (BITs) that have been used to keep the third world enslaved, because you won't understand anyhow.

Why don't you post something interesting for a change?

Thanks to the wonderful work of Google, Yahoo and their ilk, "my" threads remain out of the spotlight: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...sors-the-world
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

I think what South America had was a lot of small people groups with sustainable lifestyles. Colonization kind of took that away.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks to the wonderful work of Google, Yahoo and their ilk, "my" threads remain out of the spotlight:
    I don't think that's the reason no matter how much you wish it was.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I think what South America had was a lot of small people groups with sustainable lifestyles. Colonization kind of took that away.
    Yeah, it does make sense when you put it this way. /s