Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Gary Johnson Just Detonated His Own Candidacy

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I'm starting to think there needs to be an equivalent to Godwin's Law with respect to invocations of "Utopianism"
    Banana's Law:

If an online discussion revolving around social or political ideals goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Utopia
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Georgism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgism
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Georgism (also known as geoism[1] and geonomics) is an economic philosophy holding that the economic value derived from land, including natural resources and natural opportunities, should belong equally to all residents of a community, but that people own the value that they create themselves.[2][3][4] The Georgist paradigm offers solutions to social and ecological problems, relying on principles of land rights and public finance which attempt to integrate economic efficiency with social justice.[5][6]
    Georgism is concerned with the distribution of economic rent caused by natural monopolies, pollution, and the control of commons, including title over natural resources and other contrived privileges (e.g., intellectual property). Any natural resource, which is inherently limited in supply, can generate economic rent, but the classical and most significant example of 'land monopoly' involves the extraction of common ground rent from valuable urban locations. Georgists argue that taxing economic rent is efficient, fair, and equitable. The main Georgist policy tool is a tax assessed on land value. Georgists argue that revenues from a land value tax (LVT) can reduce or eliminate existing taxes on labor and investment that are unfair and inefficient. Some Georgists also advocate for the return of surplus public revenue back to the people through a basic income or citizen's dividend.
    Economists since Adam Smith have observed that, unlike other taxes, a public levy on land value does not cause economic inefficiency.[7] A land value tax is often said to have progressive tax effects, in that it is paid primarily by the wealthy (the landowners), and it cannot be passed on to tenants, workers, or users of land.[8][9] Land value capture would reduce economic inequality, increase wages, remove incentives to misuse real estate, and reduce the vulnerability that economies face from credit and property bubbles.[10]
    The philosophical basis of Georgism dates back to several early proponents such as John Locke,[11] Baruch Spinoza,[12] and Thomas Paine,[13] but the concept of gaining public revenues from natural resource privileges was widely popularized by the economist and social reformer Henry George and his first book, Progress and Poverty, published in 1879.
    Georgist ideas were popular and influential in the late 19th and early 20th century.[14] Political parties, institutions and communities were founded based on Georgist principles during that time. Early followers of Henry George's economic philosophy called themselves Single Taxers, associated with the idea of raising public revenue exclusively from land and privileges, but the term is now considered a misnomer because Georgists usually support multiple mechanisms for government funding. In classical and Georgist economics, the term 'land' is defined as all locations, natural opportunities, resources, physical forces, and government privileges over economic domains, which is closely related to the concept of commons.[15] Georgism was coined later, and some prefer the term geoism or geonomics to distinguish their beliefs from those of Henry George.[16][17]

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    GJ: Well, that it does exist and that it is man-caused. I think a great example of the free market at work in addressing carbon emission -- we’re all demanding less carbon emission -- is the coal industry. Obama has not brought an end to the coal industry. The free market has brought an end to the coal industry. The free market with its pricing of coal right now, and I didn’t look at the paper before I walked in, but I lost a whole lot of money in coal. I didn’t think there was any way that coal was going to actually be bankrupted. But it has been bankrupted.

The price of coal today is $9. Well, all the marginal coal that costs $11 to mine, you can’t make that up with volume. So all the marginal coal assets are gone. So what’s left, and right now we’ve got 37% of the grid is coal. Well, all of that coal is coming from Wyoming -- and I don’t want to say all of it. The coal that’s easy to mine, that actually can be mined at $8.25, where a profit can be made -- that’s what’s fueling the 37% load. But nobody is building a new coal plant when natural gas is much cheaper than even the low point of coal right now. Effectively, coal is bankrupt. There’s not going to be any new coal plants built. It’s not going to happen given what I think is the free market.

I’m open also to the notion of a carbon tax. That it does have an impact, that it ends up being revenue-neutral. I’m not looking at this as a revenue generator, as much as there are costs associated with, there are health and safety issues with carbon.
    http://www.latimes.com/opinion/edito...nap-story.html
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Georgism
    Well, are we to take it from your attempt to primer us that you are a supporter of Georgism, @presence?

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Well, are we to take it from your attempt to primer us that you are a supporter of Georgism, @presence?
    Georgism proper, no.

I was moreso asserting "which branch of libertarianism" Johnson might find scholars willing to support his assertion to tax carbon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolibertarianism

I am a supporter of anarcho-georgism as a means to assert one's claim to property in a free market. That is, if I pay someone to mow my grass while I'm away from my vacation home I'm asserting my possession through good will with the locals; averting adverse possession claims and squatting.

With regard to pollution I think a good way to offset negative externalities is through charitable giving to the community; I suspect upon implementation of practices which produce positive externalities, the individuals in the community will be more likely to respect your property rights to waste streams.
    Last edited by presence; 08-26-2016 at 05:21 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    So Friedman, Hayek, Sowell... They lack the fundamentals, too?

Henry Hazlitt, too.

Sorry folks. If we're going to start ousting people based on this, we're really going to lose most of our top economists.

Friedman wasn't a libertarian. But economists in general aren't political. They're economists. Politicians end up adopting these economists as if they are their own. But they aren't.

Hayek wasn't either. He was an economist. Especially early in his career he thought there might be room for some government action, something seen in The Road to Serfdom. But he eventually came to the conclusion that government shouldn't be involved.

And I can accept the ideas of an economist without buying into their politics when they DO get political. Thus I can be a free market supporter without agreeing with every idea von Hayek ever had about government.

On the other hand, I cannot support a politician without empowering them to do everything they want, including violate my liberty at will. So no thank you. I'd rather not have a Johnson up my arse.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456