Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Deputies shoot, kill 13-year-old carrying toy gun

Welcome Back, Killer
    William Norman Grigg

(With apologies to John Sebastian)

Welcome back — your badge was your ticket out….

Erick Gelhaus, the Sonoma County, California Sheriff’s Deputy who gunned down 13-year-old Andy Lopez on October 22, has returned to “duty.”

Gelhaus and an unidentified deputy spotted Lopez walking to a friend’s house carrying what was mistakenly believed to be an AK-47 rifle. The “weapon” was actually a plastic BB gun that fired plastic pellets. It is smaller than the actual rifle and has a transparent plastic middle section. The encounter took place at 3:15 PM on a brightly-lit day, which means that the “weapon” would have been recognized as a toy if Gelhaus would have taken a second or two to get a good look at it.

After calling in a report of an armed suspect, Gelhaus ordered the other deputy — a trainee — to pull up about twenty to thirty feet behind the Middle School-age boy. Gelhaus drew his gun, took cover behind a door, and ordered Lopez to “drop the gun.” The youngster, reacting instinctively to an unfamiliar — and unidentified — voice, turned to face the deputies. Gelhaus reacted by firing seven shots. All of this took place within the space of about ten seconds.

Lt. Paul Henry of the Santa Rosa Police Department, which is investigating the shooting, explained that Gelhaus’s “mindset was that he was fearful that he was going to be shot.” A 24-year veteran who was a firing range instructor, Gelhaus offered a glimpse into his fear-saturated mindset in an article published by SWAT magazine in 2008:

“Today is the day you may need to kill someone in order to go home. If you cannot turn on the `mean gene’ for yourself, who will?… Taking some kind of action — any kind of action — is critical.”

In other words: You must be prepared to kill at the first intimation of a threat to “officer safety.”

Because he lives at the intersection of panic and paranoia, Gelhaus is primed to kill with very little provocation. Two months before he gunned down Andy Lopez without bothering to find out if the boy actually posed a threat, Gelhaus drew a gun during a traffic stop involving Santa Rosa resident Jeffrey Westbrook. Gelhaus had pulled over Westbrook for failing to use his turn signal.

The traffic stop took place on a narrow shoulder near a steep hillside, and Westbrook asked if he could move the car in order to make more room for the officer. Gelhaus reacted by pulling his gun and pointing it at the terrified driver’s head.

When Westbrook learned that Gelhaus was the officer who had fatally shot Lopez, he found himself wondering if “maybe something could have been done” to rein in the bellicose deputy before he killed somebody.

Gelhaus has been restricted to desk duty until the familiar ritual of exoneration reaches its foreordained conclusion.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope this $#@!tard gets cancer of the balls. Seriously.

It's ok. He was wearing a magical uniform that makes it just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Green View Post
    I hope this $#@!tard gets cancer of the balls. Seriously.
    Boff 'em ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    Boff 'em ?
    Yeah, wouldn't want this douche breeding.

The replica gun resembled an AK-47 with a black magazine cartridge and brown butt, according to a photograph released by the sheriff's office. Deputies would only learn after the shooting that it wasn't an actual firearm, according to O'Leary.

So they were atop the situation where evidence in their defense was concerned. Compare with this"

It wasn't clear whether he pointed the replica assault rifle at the deputies or made any type of threatening gesture.

Now, if it was clearly and unequivocally the case that the boy had "threatened" them with the assault toy, what odds would you give that a statement to that fact would have been very rapidly forthcoming? I seem to recall this in many cases where the "authorities" (HA!) are eager to immediately regurgitate an officer's claim that he'd been "threatened". Thus far silence. What does that suggest, at least plausibly?

And I wonder what, in the eyes of these esteemed and monumentally courageous heroes who risk their lives minute by minute to save us from the certain death that would visit us all were they not there as selfless shields and angels of salvation, do they regard as "threatening".

The sheriff's office referred calls to the Santa Rosa Police Department, which did not immediately return a call for comment.
    Why would these brave men and womyn do such a thing? No matter - I am certain it is all for our own good. The greater good.

All HAIL!

All BOW!

All SERVICE!
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athan View Post
    Sue the cops PERSONALLY. Once you win, sue the county and state.
    Sue? To what end? Besides, are there not laws and unions and hip-pocket prosecutors and judges in place to protect the faithful lapdog from the unjust predations of the mundane?

Hunt them. Apprehend them. Try them. Convict them. Sentence them. Carry forth sentence and post the heads on the ends of pikes in public places for all to behold that they may serve as bright warnings to the rest of the lapdogs of what awaits them in the event they stray from the narrow way that is right and proper to all men.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Will they ever be held accountable?
    That's a rhetorical question - right?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yup.

You might not even be given the chance to comply.

I'll bet less than 2 seconds elapsed before they wasted this kid.
    I bet you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    Actually, if I were the father I would take vengeance.
    Were I that boy's father, I would embark upon a diabolical campaign of vengeance. Those two are murderers and I would see justice served at my own hands as is the sovereign right of all men. $#@! the "state" and their candy-assed sissy rules. Those two would suffer so grievously that God himself would descend from the heavens, appalled, and remove them from my hands. The devil himself would lie in the dirt of hell's bottom, quaking and vomiting with the fearful thought that one day he would find himself in the presence of one such as myself.

And yet, most of the world shrugs its shoulders and goes on as if nothing of import has happened.

I have to recommend against checking that PoliceOne site. I did last night and felt sickened by the level of authority worship and boot-licking going on in the comments.
    "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue...conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations—to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image. Power confuses itself with virtue and tends also to take itself for omnipotence. Once imbued with the idea of a mission, a great nation easily assumes that it has the means as well as the duty to do God's work." - William Fulbright

Quote Originally Posted by seyferjm View Post
    I have to recommend against checking that PoliceOne site. I did last night and felt sickened by the level of authority worship and boot-licking going on in the comments.
    I find it educational in a "Know your Enemy" sort of way.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Latest update on this story. Will there ever be any accountability?

Court Rejects Immunity For Sonoma Deputy Who Shot Andy Lopez
    September 22, 2017

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A federal appeals court says there is ample evidence for a jury to conclude that a North Bay teenager carrying a toy gun did not pose an immediate danger to a sheriff’s deputy who shot and killed him.

A divided three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday refused to find Sonoma County Sheriff’s Deputy Erick Gelhaus exempt from liability for the 2013 shooting of 13-year-old Andy Lopez in Santa Rosa.
    More: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...puty-immunity/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Once again, move along, nothing to see here. No need for protests or burning down the town on this one. It was a much too clear-cut example of a bad shooting, not to mention that the kid is not appropriately dark for BLM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Wrongful death lawsuit in Andy Lopez case can move forward
    SAN FRANCISCO (KTVU)

- A federal appeals court has court has upheld a wrongful death lawsuit brought by the family of a 13-year-old boy who was shot and killed by a Sonoma county sheriff’s deputy four years ago in Santa Rosa.

The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals said there is ample evidence for a jury to conclude that 13-year-old Andy Lopez did not pose an immediate danger to Deputy Erick Gelhaus, when Gelhaus shot him seven times.

Lopez was holding a very realistic looking airsoft rifle. Gelhaus said he thought it was a real gun.

The court said there is evidence that the boy did not raise the barrel of the gun as Gelhaus claimed.

Despite widespread protests, prosecutors decided not to pursue charges against Deputy Gelhaus.

Gelhaus is still with the sheriff’s department and has been promoted to sergeant.
    More: http://www.ktvu.com/news/wrongful-de...n-move-forward

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Latest update on this story. Will there ever be any accountability?
    No, there won't.

Especially now that the $#@! left has turned the whole thing into a freak show, right when it looked like there may have been some real pushback.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    If the gendarme want to go home alive, what are they waiting for?

he court said there is evidence that the boy did not raise the barrel of the gun as Gelhaus claimed.

Despite widespread protests, prosecutors decided not to pursue charges against Deputy Gelhaus.
    This is the thing. They circle their wagons. The prosecutors have to pretend to at least try to build a case, but they don't have to be especially aggressive about it. Even when these things go to trial, the prosecutors settle for building a case that's barely adequate, subtly giving the jury every reasonable doubt in the world.

It would appear to me that it can be a concluded fact that the boy did not raise his toy gun at the kop by the fact that it was stated that the toy was found tucked in the boy's waistband.

Unless they want to claim that the boy had terrrrrrist training and that he exhibited a high level of discipline in stowing his "weapon" while being shot several times...........
    Last edited by sparebulb; 09-24-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234