Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any mushroom hunters?

Any mushroom hunters?

I've been thinking about picking this hobby up (the wife bugs me enough about never going hiking ).
    Anyone else?

My daughter found a bolete on Sunday which I haven't IDed positively yet but which passes the rules for boletes I've been able to find online, and the thing smells.... it smells like I could dry it, grind it up, and use it to make stock, it's so rich. Like the scent got stuck on my moustache.

Does anyone else know a good book I could get on the subject? Looking for either rules to follow for hunting, but also for a way to do positive identification.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Identifying shrooms is part art/part science....

I've found it wise to consult with the elders.

I think the best place to start is a local organization of sorts that collects information on the flora and fauna in your area. Then you have an idea of what you can expect to find. The books I have are in Dutch except 'Wild Foods' by Ray Mears which is a really nice book and iirc does contain a section on mushrooms but because Ray Mears is a kind of cuddly survivalist it's a real nice read but not something you'd take with you on a hike.

Try to find a book that has determination charts in it that include an explanation for technical terms, preferably with pics. The best kind of information you can have is about the environment mushrooms grow in, you may also want to bring a book on trees since recognizing tree species will help you in finding or determining mushrooms.

When you are talking about rules do you mean legal or common sense ones ? I have no answer for you on the legal ones. Common sense however; if you don't know what it is, don't eat it. If you are pretty sure but not certain, don't eat it.

I am growing some $#@!ake and oyster mushrooms on logs in the shady part of my garden. Thats something you could do as well, you start with logs which you drill holes into and you can buy plugs for different species of mushrooms. You hammer those in and then you wait (you do have to occasionally moisten the logs). This way you can grow the mushrooms you want, depending on the type of wood you can harvest between 2 and 5 years from a single log. It's the most fun if you have several logs of different species, then it's not just one log that you forget about but something you get some serious harvests from, eventually a lot of the weight of the log is turned into mushrooms + water. The harvest can be quite plentiful even from a single log, although it's just as seasonal as wild mushrooms.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 09-02-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Yeah I'm ordering oyster plugs soon. Part of the maple next to the house came down and instead of chopping up a 10" limb and hauling it off, I parked it in a garden bed in the shade.

When you are talking about rules do you mean legal or common sense ones ?

I've cross-referenced a couple sites and verified that all poisonous boletes either stain blue or green, or have red or orange coloration on the cap or pores. Moreover, it doesn't look like more than a day or two of puking and diarrhea in the worst of poisoning cases (which are pretty easy to avoid).
    All deadly poisonous species I've read about so far are agarics (toadstools with gills on the bottom, like, oddly enough, common buttons).

It would be nice if I could find a single book with all of these facts in it, but I don't think I will. I think I need to find a really good ID guide, since after a rain I can go out and find all sorts of things, but not necessarily the maitake, oysters, chanterelles, morels, and all the other beginner mushrooms. I want to know with no margin of error what I'm looking at, not what I'm looking for.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I went on Amazon and read some reviews with my own consideration in mind. I don't have this book but this seems like a very good place to start;
    http://www.amazon.com/100-Edible-Mus...pr_product_top

Lots of good books, but I'm with Tod - find a local club. They will not only teach you proper ID, but also show you some good places to gather that no book will show you.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

What gun for Mushrooms?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    What gun for Mushrooms?
    Depends the mushroom.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There is saying among mushroom hunters:

"There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old, bold mushroom hunters."

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I want to know with no margin of error what I'm looking at, not what I'm looking for.
    You're getting lost in the details. "know when you don't know" and move on.

Look for morels, chanterelles, oysters, bolete, beefstake polypore, hen of the wood, chicken of the wood, and coral. Get to know those well. If its not on that list walk past it. I've picked and eaten all of those wild. Chances are you're not going to eat too many other wild mushrooms until you've eaten pounds of those I just listed.

I could go out into my backyard right now and probably pick 100 varieties of mushrooms I don't know. In the same time I can go out and come back with a few pounds of hen of the wood and make soup.

Missouri Conservation puts out a good guide:

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/outdoor-recreation/mushrooming/edible-mushrooms

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/ou...ic-mushrooming
    Last edited by presence; 09-02-2014 at 09:44 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Thats something you could do as well, you start with logs which you drill holes into and you can buy plugs for different species of mushrooms.
    Do you recommend a source?

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Do you recommend a source?
    You can get kits from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Shiitake-Mushr.../dp/B00BJ5F84S

Also many seed catalog companys have mail order mushroom plug kits.

or just google it... there are tons of great mom and pop mushroom businesses on the net to deal with

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Since my last post I have wild harvested and eaten:

King Bolete

White Oyster

Golden Chantarelle

tan coral fungi

Young white puffballs

white cheese polypore (Tyromyces chioneus)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyromyces_chioneus

Rather than taking my chances with unidentified wild mushrooms, I have been looking into home kits for growing Portobello and $#@!ake mushrooms. Anyone got experience with that?

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Rather than taking my chances with unidentified wild mushrooms, I have been looking into home kits for growing Portobello and $#@!ake mushrooms. Anyone got experience with that?
    Yes, they are pretty easy to grow when you follow the description. The best experience I have is with these plugs and logs. A couple logs yields a huge amount of mushrooms for at least 3 years. Inexpensive and fruitful. These kits that come with some kind of growth medium, usually give you less mushrooms, different specifies though but they require more care in terms of humidity. Also, they last only a few weeks/months instead of years. (but you can start them all year around since it's indoors..)

I just found puffballs last weekend, but had to pass because they were already turning green inside.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I just found puffballs last weekend, but had to pass because they were already turning green inside.
    I found a grove of them in the state forest; hundreds. Mossy forest floor near creek in douglas fir stand. Higher in elevation towards the roadway in the same fir stand I was finding coral fungi.

I added another new find yesterday:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydnum_repandum

I went as far as taste and hold under tongue in the woods; it was good but there was only one. I wasn't sure what it was at the time... I didn't take any home with me.
    Hydnum repandum, commonly known as the sweet tooth, wood hedgehog or hedgehog mushroom, is an edible mushroom with no poisonous lookalikes. A basidiomycete fungus of the family Hydnaceae, it is the type species of the genus Hydnum. The fungus produces fruit bodies (mushrooms) that are characterized by their spore-bearing structures—in the form of spines rather than gills—which hang down from the underside of the cap. The cap is dry, colored yellow to light orange to brown, and often develops an irregular shape, especially when it has grown closely crowded with adjacent fruit bodies. The mushroom tissue is white with a pleasant odor and a spicy or bitter taste. All parts of the mushroom stain orange with age or when bruised.
    the "spicy/bitter" turned me off in the woods; that often presents some type of poison

Wood Hedgehog above is a relative of "lion's mane" below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hericium_erinaceus

which is also edible (and medicinal)
    Last edited by presence; 09-27-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Lions mane is a very tasty mushroom. Hard to get but I'll buy some when I see it. It's a mushroom that can be cultured commercially but at least here it's not common. It's one of my favorite mushrooms. I should really find some in a store somewhere. Don't really remember that it also has medical purposes, just that mushrooms (the ones that aren't poisonous) are generally healthy for you. Could you expand on that ?

I recommend you spend a few hours watching 15 minute youtubes on cultivation keywords:

pasturize wheat straw substrate

totem log mushroom

inocculate rice rye

innoculate birch dowels

coffee grounds spawn

A good place to start is king oyster or pearl oyster.
    Last edited by presence; 09-27-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Lions mane is a very tasty mushroom. Hard to get but I'll buy some when I see it. It's a mushroom that can be cultured commercially but at least here it's not common. It's one of my favorite mushrooms. I should really find some in a store somewhere. Don't really remember that it also has medical purposes, just that mushrooms (the ones that aren't poisonous) are generally healthy for you. Could you expand on that ?
    Lion's mane is neuroregenerative. Good for stroke, alzheimers, concussion etc. Also good for intestinal issues including colon cancer.

Plug spawn is readily available online via amazon.com etc. I think you can plug maple and oak totems with it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23735479

This mushroom is rich in some physiologically important components, especially β-glucan polysaccharides, which are responsible for anti-cancer, immuno-modulating, hypolipidemic, antioxidant and neuro-protective activities of this mushroom. H. erinaceus has also been reported to have anti-microbial, anti-hypertensive, anti-diabetic, wound healing properties among other therapeutic potentials.
    Last edited by presence; 09-27-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Lion's mane is neuroregenerative. Good for stroke, alzheimers, concussion etc. Also good for intestinal issues including colon cancer.

Plug spawn is readily available online via amazon.com etc. I think you can plug maple and oak totems with it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23735479

Cool, thanks.. Sorry can't rep you, already did that.
    I'm not sure if they ship cultures overseas, worth a try though.

Just found some sulphur shelfs on a pile of old cherry branches about 4-8" diameter. They were competing with turkey tail and several other unidentified species. Sulfur shelves; aka chicken of the woods is very easy to identify; short stubby stem, fan shaped, orange inside and out, polypore, growing on wood. Turkey tail is also very easy to ID. Woody, white edge, turkey tail colors, thin, growing on wood.

Turkey tail is a medicinal "tea" though usually brewed warm. Very cardboard like taste.

http://wildbranchmushrooms.com/turkey-tail

Actions
    Anti-tumor, Anti-microbial, Immunomodulating, Anti-oxidant.
    Also recently discovered to be anti-malarial (6).
    Indications and Effects
    Cancer (cervical, breast, lung, gastric, colon, sarcoma, carcinoma, esophageal, etc.) (4), Immunodeficiency (4), Hepatitis B and C (2), and Malaria (6).

Pharmacodynamics
    PSK fights cancers and tumors by inhibiting the growth of cancer cells and
    by "stimulating a host mediated response." Natural Killer cells are
    also promoted to enhance the immune system. It is often used in
    conjunction with chemotherapy to increase cancer survival rates.

Chicken of the woods is a culinary meat substitute.
    Last edited by presence; 09-27-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Identifying shrooms is part art/part science....

I've found it wise to consult with the elders.

I can't +Rep this enough!!

When it comes to mushrooms, the difference between delicious and deadly can be very slim indeed.

I just found 3 of these earlier today in a grouping in my lawn; each about the size of a softball.

Next year I'll check in a little earlier and I might get these instead:

Last edited by presence; 09-27-2014 at 06:17 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another "no poisonous look alikes" mushroom to hunt for:

Black Trumpet Mushrooms

The black trumpet is one of my favorite wild mushrooms. Don't let its unremarkable appearance fool you; this is one of the best tasting fungi you'll ever find.

Black trumpets are considered a gourmet edible mushroom. They have a smoky, rich flavor and a pleasant, fruity aroma. There are no poisonous look alikes, making this a great mushroom for beginners to identify. Unfortunately they're not always easy to find. Their dark color and strange shape make them look like little black holes on the forest floor. Many a time have people looked right at them without realizing the treat before their very eyes!
    This article goes into more detail on black trumpet mushrooms. We'll start with some basic facts to give you more information about your quarry. Then we'll move on to the important stuff, identification and where to find them. I'll end with some cooking tips and a few easy mushroom recipes.
    Basic Facts

• Black trumpets are shaped like a funnel and come in a brown, gray, or black color. The edges of the cap are rolled outwards and wavy.

• One of the most noticeable things about black trumpets is that they have no gills or other visible spore-bearing structures (such as pores or teeth). The underside of their caps will always be smooth to slightly wrinkled.

• Black trumpets are thought to be both saprotrophic (feeding on dead organic matter) and mycorrhizal (creating symbiotic relationships with the roots of plants). Their precise ecological role is not yet fully understood.

• The most common species of is Craterellus cornucopioides. Other species do exist, such as Craterellus foetidus.

• Other common names of Craterellus cornucopioides are "trumpet of death" and "horn of plenty". As they're closely related to chanterelles they're also known as the "black chanterelle".

Return to top
    Finding and Mushroom Identification

Identification of black trumpets is not very difficult. Finding them, however, can be.

That's not because they fruit in remote places. You may have an incredible patch of black trumpets nearby. Yet their dark gray appearance makes them very hard to spot on the forest floor.

The trick to finding them lies in knowing where and how to look. Keep these tips in mind when choosing a mushroom hunting location:

• Hardwood forests, especially near oak and beech. These mushrooms do not fruit on wood, but near it. You won't find a lot of black trumpets at the very base of a tree.

• Near mossy areas. I've often found them fruiting in or near patches of thick green moss on the side of trails. The contrast of their dark color against the moss makes them easier to see.

• Near washes and small streams. On the edge of small streams on hills and trails is a great place to look. They seem to like damp, dark areas. No roaring rivers, just smaller seasonal streams.

• When looking, walk slowly and look directly down. They are very easy to miss unless you're standing right over them. Take your time when examining the leaf litter.

They grow in clusters, especially on the West Coast. So if you find one, stop and carefully look around. There may be many more nearby.
    As for identification, there are no poisonous look alikes. This fact, along with their unique appearance, makes them a good mushroom for beginners.
    Examine the pictures and the list of identification features below. You'll quickly get a feel for how they should look. That said, if you're a true beginner always check with an expert before eating something you find. I never support mushroom identification based solely on what you've read on the Internet. Even with mushrooms as tasty as these!

Cap
    Funnel or vase shaped with a gray, brown, or black color. They sometimes flare out at the end with wavy edges. The underside is just a smooth surface with no gills, pores, or teeth. The inside of the cap may or may not be covered in small scales. (Craterellus foetidus has a wrinkled underside but still not real gills.)

Stem
    Up to a few inches tall and the same color, or just slightly lighter than, the cap. The inside of the stem is hollow. The flesh itself is thin and easily broken.

Texture
    Take special note of the texture of the black trumpet. They're smooth or just slightly wrinkled with a soft feel to them. I think they feel a lot like suede.

Spore Print
    White to a pinkish salmon color.

Time of Year
    Summer and fall, through the winter in California.

Look Alikes

Sometimes confused with Urnula craterium, the devil's urn (above). Fortunately the devil's urn is not poisonous, it's just not as tasty. They have a more cup-like appearance in fruit in the spring (black trumpets fruit in the summer and fall).

Return to top
    Tasty Trumpets
    http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/black-trumpet.html

some great images here:

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/crate...gi/Interesting
    Last edited by presence; 09-27-2014 at 06:19 PM.

A lot of you look pretty confident. My aunt is biology teacher and professional at it. I learned a lot from her and her son(nephew?). We go "hunting" lol few times every year. She I and my nephew are very careful at what we pick. Almost all edible mushrooms have look-alikes that are poisonous. Very few dont. BE 100% SURE. Every year there are few experts, and I mean real experts, that die because they eat poisonous look-alike or right out poisonous one.

There are mushrooms so poisonous that you cant even pick and eat edible mushrooms if they are within few meters from that poisonous one. Over here we call it "Zelena Pupavka". Dont know how it is called in English language.

Puffballs are edible but have almost no nutritional value or specific taste. I dont pick them.

...I am growing some $#@!ake and oyster mushrooms on logs in the shady part of my garden...
    We are too but this year was terrible for it. Temperatures and humidity was way off. I highly recommend it tho. Some day I plan* to make our entire barn into mushroom farm. 1 meter thick stone walls small windows-perfect conditions for it.
    *talked about it

Did you ever had problems with bacteria infestations due to too much humidity?
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    There is saying among mushroom hunters:

"There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old, bold mushroom hunters."
    I like this one more:
    All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.

How big space you got? Is it indoors or outside? Urban area?

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

Just found some sulphur shelfs on a pile of old cherry branches about 4-8" diameter. They were competing with turkey tail and several other unidentified species. Sulfur shelves; aka chicken of the woods is very easy to identify; short stubby stem, fan shaped, orange inside and out, polypore, growing on wood. Turkey tail is also very easy to ID. Woody, white edge, turkey tail colors, thin, growing on wood.

Turkey tail is a medicinal "tea" though usually brewed warm. Very cardboard like taste.

http://wildbranchmushrooms.com/turkey-tail

Chicken of the woods is a culinary meat substitute.
    No one here picks any of these over here.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Ha ha!!!!! 2 of more than a dozen old logs we have scattered all over the place on our farm:

They are all starting to grow. I thought it wont happen this year because of the weather but:
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

I just pulled in big basket full of chanterelle again this year.

I'm finding them in hemlock stands near creek beds about 8-25 feet above water level; often on difficult slope.

sautee in olive oil, honey, and salt and preserve in quart bags in the freezer

also a banging year again for coral fungus finding these moreso in pine

I also found a ton of boletes; but they were blue staining... I don't mess with those; some varieties can be toxic.
    Last edited by presence; 07-23-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Chaga: The King of Medicinal Mushrooms!

I am making a double extraction of Chaga this month.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Chaga: The King of Medicinal Mushrooms!

I am making a double extraction of Chaga this month.
    I remember that thread. Is that the one that had the guy who pulled that marker out of his hair? That cracked me up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast