Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: "Attractive hazard" [Orlando Gator attack]

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    And a couple from Nebraska would not have equal knowledge.
    lol

I'm sorry but if you live on planet earth and aren't aware that alligators live in Florida, you're a dumbass.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    lol

I'm sorry but if you live on planet earth and aren't aware that alligators live in Florida, you're a dumbass.
    You might not be aware that there are alligators living in the family friendly park you've been invited too. Seriously your argument is retarded. In the case you cited there was testimony that the woman who had gotten eaten by an alligator knew there was an alligator in the lake she was swimming in and she went swimming anyway. In this case there is no similar testimony. And if Disney had spent as much time and money making sure there were no alligators in the lagoons on their property as they do making sure no guns come on their property, or at least making sure the gators just don't crawl up to the shallows where some kid might be wading, then this incident wouldn't have happened. Yeah MelissaMW posted the cute pic of the gator climbing the fence. Guess what? If someone sees a gator climbing a fence he has time to grab his kid and run the hell away! And how much would adding a picture of a gator to a "no swimming sign" cost? Why wouldn't Disney do that? Neither you nor any of the other Disney defenders want to answer that question. Captain obvious says "Because they didn't want to scare away tourists." So the risk of tourists getting eaten was outweighed by the concern of lost profits from tourists possibly deciding "Hmmmmm....I'll go on rides in the Magic Kingdom by I think we'll stay somewhere else."

Seriously, you made a legal statement that overstated the case (no pun intended) and now you can't admit you're wrong so you are falling back on blaming the victim. Whatever. I hope Disney's lawyers are as ill prepared to defend their client as you are. Then again, Disney will probably settle this. If they tried to fight this case on a "Well the hayseeds from Nebraska got what was coming to them because they should have known their were gators in the pond" argument, even if they won in court (which they wouldn't), the bad publicity from the case would cost them more than simply paying a few million to settle the case and moving on.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Yeah MelissaMW posted the cute pic of the gator climbing the fence. Guess what? If someone sees a gator climbing a fence he has time to grab his kid and run the hell away!
    If you see an alligator anywhere, and it's not running at you or leaping out of the water at you, you have time to leave it alone and get away, but you really should not be running. That's a ridiculous idea. You're also discounting the fact that a frustrated animal on your side of the fence is not going to be happy with you. It's a barrier an animal has to negotiate to get away from you, which drives them to do less predictable things.

If the animals were actually allowed to be normal alligators and not hand-fed, you would see almost no attacks. Even the prior one has the earmarks of mistaken identity (a kid near some ducks).

I saw the thread had more posts but figured they were about the bear they were having to euthanize because a marathon runner got mauled.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Brain-Eating Amoeba Eyed in Death of Ohio Teen
    NBCNews.com‎ - 11 hours ago

An 18-year-old Ohio woman died after apparently contracting a brain-eating amoeba while ...
    Ohio teen dies after contracting brain-eating amoeba while swimming
    NEWS10 ABC‎ - 4 hours ago

Teen dies after contracting brain-eating amoeba
    WCNC.com‎ - 9 hours ago

So is "Whitewater Center" non profit liable?

Is "Church of the Messiah" that chartered the trip to Whitewater Center liable?

Maybe we need signs all up and down the river so anyone going rafting realizes they might get eaten by an amoeba.

Should uncle install them? The church? Whitewater Center? Maybe every landowner on riverfront needs them 8' on center?

Do you think more people are aware that man eating alligators live in Florida or man eating amoebas live in South Carolina? Does it even matter?

Who's more dead child eaten by wild gator at Disney or 18 year old eaten by amoeba @ WW Center?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988
    Last edited by presence; 06-22-2016 at 06:45 AM.

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    lol

Don't know if I qualify as a dumbass or not but I've been to Disney World many times and the gators never even crossed my mind. I never went to the villages with the white sandy beaches but to me it seems like a crazy idea to put inviting beaches on a lake with gators in it. Just sayin'...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

there are coastal rental properties around the globe with beach chairs facing shark infested waters

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    Is a term I'm familiar with because my little niece (years ago) was hurt on some construction equipment left unattended and unfenced. It was deemed an "attractive hazard" but no judgment was won because it was a township government who was the defendant.

This alligator nightmare at Disney is an attractive hazard if ever there was one. They created well groomed, sandy beaches with chaise lounge chairs, tables, umbrellas and a movie screen on the shore of the habitat of apex predators. People from all over the world go to that overpriced playground and have no idea that all fresh water in Florida has alligators. Disney had " no swimming" signs but no "DANGER ALLIGATORS - STAY AWAY FROM WATER" signs. I'm guessing that's because such warnings might hurt business. The little boy was simply wading (not swimming) with his poor parents unaware of what was in the "Seven Seas Lagoon". Their grief must be unimaginable

This makes me sick that Disney (who I can't stand) lured the unsuspecting to a freaking gator swamp by putting a beach there. These poor people will get HUGE money from Disney but lost their baby in the most awful way and it was completely avoidable. I'm amazed it didn't happen sooner but it was bound to happen.

If a sign says "No swimming", stay out of the water. Don't say "Oh, I'll just wade".

Unless you want to be attacked by alligators/sharks/jellyfish or flesh eating bacteria (like the fellow in Galveston.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Don't know if I qualify as a dumbass or not but I've been to Disney World many times and the gators never even crossed my mind. I never went to the villages with the white sandy beaches but to me it seems like a crazy idea to put inviting beaches on a lake with gators in it. Just sayin'...
    Alligators enter golf courses and swimming pools in their territory. If you're near a body of water in alligator country (Read: all of Florida), assume there's a gator in it unless proven otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    You might not be aware that there are alligators living in the family friendly park you've been invited too. Seriously your argument is retarded. In the case you cited there was testimony that the woman who had gotten eaten by an alligator knew there was an alligator in the lake she was swimming in and she went swimming anyway. In this case there is no similar testimony. And if Disney had spent as much time and money making sure there were no alligators in the lagoons on their property as they do making sure no guns come on their property, or at least making sure the gators just don't crawl up to the shallows where some kid might be wading, then this incident wouldn't have happened. Yeah MelissaMW posted the cute pic of the gator climbing the fence. Guess what? If someone sees a gator climbing a fence he has time to grab his kid and run the hell away! And how much would adding a picture of a gator to a "no swimming sign" cost? Why wouldn't Disney do that? Neither you nor any of the other Disney defenders want to answer that question. Captain obvious says "Because they didn't want to scare away tourists." So the risk of tourists getting eaten was outweighed by the concern of lost profits from tourists possibly deciding "Hmmmmm....I'll go on rides in the Magic Kingdom by I think we'll stay somewhere else."

Seriously, you made a legal statement that overstated the case (no pun intended) and now you can't admit you're wrong so you are falling back on blaming the victim. Whatever. I hope Disney's lawyers are as ill prepared to defend their client as you are. Then again, Disney will probably settle this. If they tried to fight this case on a "Well the hayseeds from Nebraska got what was coming to them because they should have known their were gators in the pond" argument, even if they won in court (which they wouldn't), the bad publicity from the case would cost them more than simply paying a few million to settle the case and moving on.
    Why would you assume that there were alligators everywhere except Disney?

Why would you risk the life of your child by permitting him/her to wade in water in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
    Alligators enter golf courses and swimming pools in their territory. If you're near a body of water in alligator country (Read: all of Florida), assume there's a gator in it unless proven otherwise.
    For people living in Florida I'm sure that they are always on guard around water but most of the visitors to Disney are not from Florida. I think the fact that they have now posted gator warnings is clear enough evidence that such was the wise thing to do (and should have been done from the start). In fact knowing about gator hazards it seems almost criminal to make a beautiful white sand beach for people to frolic on. If you know of any other lakes in Florida where they have nice white sandy beaches, please tell us... (I have no idea if such exists)

THIS ONE

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    For people living in Florida I'm sure that they are always on guard around water but most of the visitors to Disney are not from Florida. I think the fact that they have now posted gator warnings is clear enough evidence that such was the wise thing to do (and should have been done from the start). In fact knowing about gator hazards it seems almost criminal to make a beautiful white sand beach for people to frolic on. If you know of any other lakes in Florida where they have nice white sandy beaches, please tell us... (I have no idea if such exists)
    Um, a number of them do, or they have jogging paths, or docks, or areas to feed the ducks, or picnic areas right up against the water. They're quite nice during the day and you just keep an eye out. Again, normal alligators are not out to get you. They're out to get their normal food and protect their nests and fight each other for territory.

This same week, several other people have been attacked by native wildlife. Next week, it'll happen again. A few weeks ago, traffic was snarled near here because of a small alligator crossing the road. Up north, it was deer, and further up north it's moose. Out west, I had no expectation that the areas around Vegas resorts would be meticulously cleared of scorpions or snakes. Most of the people in the thread have basically said they didn't think there'd be alligators at Disney, even if there were gators elsewhere. Yep. That's pretty foolish. They can send patrols out all they want, but they'll never be completely rid of alligators (or snakes or snapping turtles or other nasty hazards). They can only mitigate the problem of hand-fed alligators, and alligator breeding grounds they've allowed to fester on their property. And of course they can put up little rope barriers and signs that won't actually stop people from feeding them or going wading, but will only minimize their liability in a lawsuit situation.

Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

No gators, poisonous snakes, flesh eating amoebas or other such bull$#@! in a NH lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    No gators, poisonous snakes, flesh eating amoebas or other such bull$#@! in a NH lake.
    What about brain eating amoebas? $#@! me I'm from here and I had no idea. I'm damn sure a young kid from Ohio wouldn't have any idea. Gonna need some signage here in Nawth Cackalacky...

Rare brain-eating amoeba infection blamed in death of teen who visited Whitewater Center

Local, state and national health officials are investigating Sunday’s death of an 18-year-old Ohio woman who may have contracted an infection from a rare brain-eating amoeba while rafting at the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte.

On Wednesday, the center remained open under normal operations after extra precautions were taken to ensure the water met quality control standards, whitewater officials said.

Investigators do not know for certain if the victim, Lauren Seitz, contracted the amoeba at the center. But authorities are unaware of any other circumstances that could have led to her getting the infection.

The suspected cause of death is attributed to Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM), an infection caused by Naegleria floweri, an amoeba that dwells in warm freshwater lakes and other bodies of water during the summer. People cannot be infected with it by drinking contaminated water, and the one-celled organism is not found in salt water.

But it can be fatal if forced up a person’s nose. () The teen was in a raft with several others that overturned at the whitewater center, health officials said.

The center “is as safe as any body of water,” said Dr. Marcus Plescia, Mecklenburg County Health Department director. “Any time you go into a lake or pond, there are things in the water that can cause illnesses.”
    Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...#storylink=cpy

Don't you have spiny armadillos?

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Or an AZ lake, FWIW (and I've been to a number of them-yes, there are indeed lakes in the desert ). Parks n' Recreations (and regular folks) do a surprisingly good job 'round here. AZDOT rather sucks, and a number of other things, but that's SOP...
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I live in North Carolina. We have 5 different poisonous snakes. We have black widows. Despite much time spent in the woods and working in crawlspaces I've never been bit. I grew up in Homestead, Fla. Gators, snakes,spiders and the skunk ape. Never been bit. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I live in North Carolina. We have 5 different poisonous snakes. We have black widows. Despite much time spent in the woods and working in crawlspaces I've never been bit. I grew up in Homestead, Fla. Gators, snakes,spiders and the skunk ape. Never been bit. Meh.

Eh, I survive an ice age every winter, that would have most people whining like a bunch of pussies.

This kills off most of the nasties.

Homestead huh?

What was the name of that outlaw biker bar right south of there, just at the north end of the keys?

I drank in there once or twice, damned if I can remember the name now.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Wait...wut?

Skunk ape?

Wait...wut?

Skunk ape?

Wait...wut?

Skunk ape?

Wait...wut?

Skunk ape?
    Swamp Bigfoot with body odor, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Eh, I survive an ice age every winter, that would have most people whining like a bunch of pussies.

This kills off most of the nasties.

Homestead huh?

What was the name of that outlaw biker bar right south of there, just at the north end of the keys?

I drank in there once or twice, damned if I can remember the name now.
    Lol. Fair enough. I accede. Lived most my life in the south and don't think there is enough layers that I could survive a N.H. winter.

No idea about the biker bar. We moved up to N.C. when I was twelve.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wait...wut?

Skunk ape?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Swamp Bigfoot with body odor, lol
    Suz get's the prize. Yup. I was a paranormal explorer at the age of 10. Florida was prime. Bermuda Triangle, Coral Castle, Skunk Ape. There was an encounter just five blocks from my house next to the 7-11. A woman had just made it into a car after getting scared and Skunk Ape shook her car until a homeowner fired off a shot gun. There was an article in the paper. I loved the artists drawing but I lost the clip somewhere along the way. I went out investigating and found big foot prints on the play yard at the middle-school that was less than 100 yrds. away.

And witches. We had a local witch legend that I participated in. Turned out to be a drug dealer and a tape recorder but that is another story.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 06-22-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Suz get's the prize. Yup. I was a paranormal explorer at the age of 10. Florida was prime. Bermuda Triangle, Coral Castle, Skunk Ape. There was an encounter just five blocks from my house next to the 7-11. A woman had just made it into a car after getting scared and Skunk Ape shook her car until a homeowner fired off a shot gun. There was an article in the paper. I loved the artists drawing but I lost the clip somewhere along the way. I went out investigating and found big foot prints on the play yard at the middle-school that was less than 100 yrds. away.
    My brother is a big foot aficionado.

And witches. We had a local witch legend that I participated in. Turned out to be a drug dealer and a tape recorder but that is another story.
    LMAO, that sound like some jacked $#@! I'd get mixed up in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Did he ever see a foot print? I did. No $#@!.

LMAO, that sound like some jacked $#@! I'd get mixed up in.
    Oh, yeah. If you were in the 'hood I could see you joining me. There was this house on the next block over. It was unkempt. Not terribly so but in our neighborhood in the late '70's it was a slight standout. At least to us kids. No cars during the day. Slight disrepair.
    The story was that "witch" lived there. She used to take baths in a claw foot tub in the front yard. And that her tits hung to her knees. But, this was before my time. The legend said that if you went up and rang her doorbell you could hear her witchy voice telling you to "Go away."
    Me and another friend took the challenge and went to the door and knocked. We didn't hear $#@!, but, upon returning to friends gave into peer pressure and said "yeah, we heard her."
    Year's later a friend sent me a paper clipping. It was a drug house and got busted. The doorbell was wired to a recording that had an old womans voice that said "Go away." Because me and my friend knocked we didn't hear the recording that all the other kids were so scared of.

There was this house on the next block over. It was unkempt. Not terribly so but in our neighborhood in the late '70's it was a slight standout. At least to us kids. No cars during the day. Slight disrepair.
    The story was that "witch" lived there. She used to take baths in a claw foot tub in the front yard. And that her tits hung to her knees. But, this was before my time. The legend said that if you went up and rang her doorbell you could hear her witchy voice telling you to "Go away."
    Me and another friend took the challenge and went to the door and knocked. We didn't hear $#@!, but, upon returning to friends gave into peer pressure and said "yeah, we heard her."

Year's later a friend sent me a paper clipping. It was a drug house and got busted. The doorbell was wired to a recording that had an old womans voice that said "Go away." Because me and my friend knocked we didn't hear the recording that all the other kids were so scared of.
    Whoah. That story gave me the heebie jeebies. Like one of those scary stories around the camp fire. As I read, I was like yeah....yeah....go on, yeah...

And then it was just some stuff about some dope dealers.

I was like...

Last edited by Natural Citizen; 06-22-2016 at 10:57 PM.

The Jersey Devil...

The Jersey Devil...
    I've read about creature. Tom Brown Jr. NOT a Bigfoot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil

Last edited by phill4paul; 06-22-2016 at 11:32 PM.

Oh yeah NH is a paradise.

New Hampshire is famous for its moose, but having these massive mammals in abundance can also lead to dangerous and costly moose-vehicle collisions. Each year, there are roughly 250 moose-related accidents in the Granite State, many resulting in injuries or death to drivers and passengers.
    A rabid fox’s attack on a 5-year-old girl in Derry and the mauling of a small dog in Hampstead on Monday are prompting animal control and wildlife officials to warn the public about aggressive wildlife.

The beginning of spring means coyotes, foxes and bobcats are out looking for food for their offspring, according to Rob Calvert, a wildlife biologist with the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department.

“People are starting to see them during the day, which is not unusual this time of year,” he said. “They have hungry mouths to feed.”

Since January, Calbert said his department has received reports of 28 coyote sightings, 22 fox sightings and 10 bobcat sightings.
    And yeah, the winters cause problems. It's not about being a wuss, it's about feeling every break, dislocation, sprain, burn, and tear all for the joy of staring out at a picture postcard before having to dig your way to civilization

Point being:

Yesterday I wrote about which animals are most likely to kill you this summer -- bees, farm animals and dogs, mostly. Which raises the question: is any place truly safe from the threat of bloodthirsty beasts?

Short answer: yes, everywhere actually, because statistically speaking your chances of getting killed by an animal are basically zero.

FIFY

THIS ONE

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast