Thread: PA-Virus related shutdowns of state bureaucracies result in no more concealed carry permits

Exclamation PA-Virus related shutdowns of state bureaucracies result in no more concealed carry permits

This is why the Second Amendment is your "permit".

Philadelphia Police, Other Pennsylvania Counties Stop Issuing Concealed Carry Permits

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ph...carry-permits/

BY DAN ZIMMERMAN |MAR 20, 2020 |71 COMMENTS

We talked to someone in Illinois — someone who’s in a good position to know — who told us that despite the huge backlog of gun sales background checks due to the current gun sales surge, the Illinois State Police has cut back their hours. They’re working only one shift a day and the current backlog is running about a week. This despite a 72 hour statutory processing requirement.

And that was before Governor J.B. Pritzker issued a shelter-in-place order for the entire state today that could result in the closure of all Illinois gun stores.

In Pennsylvania, the Philadelphia Police Department as well as law enforcement agencies in other counties around the state have let it be known they’re not processing concealed carry permits any more.

From the Philadelphia Inquirer . . .

[T]he Philadelphia Police Department has shut down its gun-permits unit. Firearm owners without a license-to-carry permit will, in almost all circumstances, not be able to carry the weapons on them without risking arrest.

Sheriffs offices in Montgomery County, Allegheny County and at least five Pennsylvania other counties have done the same, according to gun-rights groups who have been tracking the shutdowns.

Given the current coronavirus national emergency, look for more of these shut-downs to take place in other jurisdictions around the country.

That means that tens of thousands of new gun owners who have rushed out in recent days to buy their first firearm won’t, in many cases, be able to carry them legally any time soon unless they happen to live in a constitutional carry state.

As has always been the case, laws in nearly every state allow gun owners to carry a firearm on their own property (with a few notable exceptions). Check your state and local laws to see how you may be affected both on your own property and when you venture out to the grocery store of pharmacy.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It typically takes 30-45 days for sheriff's deputies to process the paperwork for a license to carry anyway. They are also required by law to process your application within a certain time frame. They don't have the option not to process them, even in Philadelphia. They might not work on processing them for a few weeks, but that is it.

Open carry without a license to carry is legal everywhere in PA except Philadelphia. Note that you can't transport a handgun in a car without a license to carry barring a few exceptions. Transporting a gun somewhere to open carry is not one of those exceptions.

For those of you who enjoy giving your money away and asking for permission from politicians via words on a piece of paper:

____

Pennsylvania: The right of the citizens to bear arms in defence of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. Art. 1, § 21 (enacted 1790, art. IX, § 21).
    1776: That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the state; and as standing armies in the time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; And that the military should be kept under strict subordination, to, and governed by, the civil power. Declaration of Rights, cl. XIII.

[Self-defense right protected, Sayres v. Commonwealth, 88 Pa. 291 (1879).]

____

Each state on the Right to bear Arms:

https://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/beararms/statecon.htm

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

I am not sure I understand . This is for handguns ? I do not need a permit here for rifles or shotguns. If you suddenly find yourself in SHTF I would not be relying on a handgun. Anything that gets past the end of your long weapon just tomahawk it through the spine on the back of the neck as you let it through.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I am not sure I understand . This is for handguns ? I do not need a permit here for rifles or shotguns. If you suddenly find yourself in SHTF I would not be relying on a handgun. Anything that gets past the end of your long weapon just tomahawk it through the spine on the back of the neck as you let it through.
    This is about a license to carry. It is similar to a CCW in other states. If you want to have a concealed firearm or keep a handgun in your vehicle in Pennsylvania, you need one. It is a shall issue state. If you can buy a firearm in PA, you can pretty much be guaranteed you can get a license to carry.

What difference, or business of anybody’s is it, what they have or why?

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    What difference, or business of anybody’s is it, what they have or why?
    It is not certainly . If people intend to stop the zombie apocalypse though they may want to try a rifle and shotgun .

It is not certainly . If people intend to stop the zombie apocalypse though they may want to try a rifle and shotgun .
    I don’t think a revolution of that type is needed, with the advent of the webs and all. Well, anyway, I think most gun-toting folks are too much of a wuss to even consider getting together to throw off the fees and regs, and don’t wish to understand what a natural right is. Ignorance is bliss.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don’t think a revolution of that type is needed, with the advent of the webs and all. Well, anyway, I think most gun-toting folks are too much of a wuss to even consider getting together to throw off the fees and regs, and don’t wish to understand what a natural right is. Ignorance is bliss.
    We are.

When I first started in this fight, 40 years ago now, a universal federal ban on handguns was imminent, very close to passing.

Bans were in pace in many cities and states.

40 years later "shall issue" CCW is the majority and 17 states are "constitutional carry".

Gun rights people are the only liberty people who have consistently kept their eye on the ball and moved forward.

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-21-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    We are.

When I first started in this fight, 40 years ago now, a universal federal ban on handguns was imminent, very close to passing.

Bans were in pace in many cities and states.

40 years later "shall issue" CCW is the majority and 17 states are "constitutional carry".

Gun rights people are the only liberty people who have consistently kept their eye on the ball and moved forward.

Good job, AF. Hopefully now you guys can work on not even obtaining CCW moving forward. A group of us decided some years back not to buy permission toilet paper slips anymore, conceal or open, since then more are climbing onboard. Yes yes of course the onus is on us, but we’re hoping to grow our numbers enough that it will take off everywhere. We vehemently oppose constitutional carry because nobody has a right to grant permission or a fee. Granted, I reside in an area where guys are guys who still have balls from the mill era.

We attend 2ndA events now and then, it’s amazing that some of the gun-toters in those areas are too chicken sh|t and look at us like criminals. They needs them that toilet paper because it makes them feel so “important and law-abiding”, which is why this country turned pansy

Good job, AF. Hopefully now you guys can work on not even obtaining CCW moving forward. A group of us decided some years back not to buy permission toilet paper slips anymore, conceal or open, since then more are climbing onboard. Yes yes of course the onus is on us, but we’re hoping to grow our numbers enough that it will take off everywhere. We vehemently oppose constitutional carry because nobody has a right to grant permission or a fee. Granted, I reside in an area where guys are guys who still have balls from the mill era.

We attend 2ndA events now and then, it’s amazing that some of the gun-toters in those areas are too chicken sh|t and look at us like criminals. They needs them that toilet paper because it makes them feel so “important and law-abiding”, which is why this country turned pansy
    We keep pressing on...I say "we" because gun rights were the first issue I became involved in.

I wish all ten of the bill of rights got the same attention and pressure and focus.

But it is possible to push back...it's maddeningly slow and frustrating, 10 steps forward, 9 back...but it can be done.