Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over Half of Liberal White Women Mentally Ill

Does this prove they're insane, or just that they're self-absorbed attention whores who think the world owes them a $200/hour licensed "expert" to listen to them whine?

Then again, maybe that's the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Anybody with a progressive mindset should be viewed as insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-04-2021 at 11:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    53 percent ? Ya that study is flawed , likely much higher
    Do something Danke

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    this may have already been posted since the study itself is from last year, but it bears repeating.

I'll just repeat my previous response:

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Meh. Psychiatry is problematic enough as it is, without injecting politics into it - and vice versa.

Whether or to what extent psychiatry is actually just a bunch of hoodoo gussied up as "science" is an issue about which volumes could be written.

Science requires rigorous definitions and objectively reproducible measurements. These are things in which the field of psychiatry is severely deficient.

But for the sake of what follows, let us assume that psychiatry is not just another instance of overweening scientism.

Did the study account for how likely members of the various groups (liberal, conservative, male, female, young, old, etc.) were to seek psychiatric diagnoses in the first place?

For example, is it the case that young liberal white women are, for whatever reasons, more likely to seek psychiatric diagnoses? If so, then it can hardly be surprising, let alone considered meaningful, if they end up getting more positive diagnoses. Also, it is difficult to see how this could be corrected for, since any such correction would have to correctly estimate and account for the number of undiagnosed respondents - along each of at least four axes, no less (liberal vs. conservative, male vs. female, young vs. old, race vs. other race) - who would have received a positive result had they sought a diagnosis (i.e., such a correction would, in effect, have to attempt to diagnose the undiagnosed with some reasonable degree of accuracy).

Did the study account for how likely members of the various groups were to accurately self-report any diagnoses they had received?

For example, apart from the question of whether old conservative men are more or less likely than young liberal women to seek a psychiatric diagnoses in the first place, how likely are members of each group to accurately report positive results? How likely are old conservative men to misrepresent having received a positive diagnosis (or any diagnosis at all)? How likely are young liberal women to misrepresent not having received a positive diagnosis (or any diagnosis at all)? Recall that at the height of the AIDS epidemic, there were gay men attending support groups for those who did not have the disease because they were feeling "left out" of being part of something "special." Might something broadly similar be involved here? If so, to what degree? The upshot of all this is that studies that hinge on self-reporting are always and automatically at least somewhat suspect, at absolute best.

And these are just two questions of many that lead to skepticism concerning the validity of such "studies."

One doesn't need to resort to psychiatric scientism in order to know that many on the left have gone cray-cray ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I'll just repeat my previous response:
    Jesus...dupe post by me...Am I getting Advanced CRS (Can't Remember $#@!) or is just because this $#@! is piling up so fast nobody can keep up with it?
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Jesus...dupe post by me...Am I getting Advanced CRS (Can't Remember $#@!) or is just because this $#@! is piling up so fast nobody can keep up with it?
    Or? Why not both? (The former could even be caused by the latter.)

All the commies I ever met were some of the laziest people I've ever met, they know they'd have to work in a worker's "paradise" right?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    All the commies I ever met were some of the laziest people I've ever met, they know they'd have to work in a worker's "paradise" right?
    They all seriously expect to get this job:

You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    The worst supervisor that I had worked was a Bernie Sanders supporter. He was the most greedy two faced person you could ever meet. In private he would ridicule disabled people.However, he would always preach about social justice in public, especially around people in power such as upper management.

Quote Originally Posted by RPfan1992 View Post
    The worst supervisor that I had worked was a Bernie Sanders supporter. He was the most greedy two faced person you could ever meet. In private he would ridicule disabled people.However, he would always preach about social justice in public, especially around people in power such as upper management.
    "I love it when people say that Ayn Rand's villains were too over-the-top and unrealistic." -- Michael Malice

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It bears repeating.

FJB

[bold emphasis added]
    [...]

Did the study account for how likely members of the various groups (liberal, conservative, male, female, young, old, etc.) were to seek psychiatric diagnoses in the first place?

For example, is it the case that young liberal white women are, for whatever reasons, more likely to seek psychiatric diagnoses? If so, then it can hardly be surprising, let alone considered meaningful, if they end up getting more positive diagnoses. [...]

[...]

One doesn't need to resort to psychiatric scientism in order to know that many on the left have gone cray-cray ...

Over Half of Liberal White Women Mentally Ill
    So does "Lucy" count? I don't mean as "mentally ill" - that's obvious (see above). I mean as a "liberal white woman":

[image hidden to save space]

I'm "sensory avoidant" of cold baths too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12