Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Cornell, former Soundgarden singer, dies aged 52

"nothing.... seems to kill me..."

Wrong.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Death was "sudden and unexpected" Duh!
    No, that'd be Hillary.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Together again...

Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 05-19-2017 at 12:05 PM.

This is some shat. Just heard he hung himself. What is it with my generation that is having so much sadness and despondency today that they feel life is pointless as they reach apex of maturity? Do people like this really look at their life and reflect it was a failure? Robin Williams? Brad Delp? Come to mind. Now Chris?

Wish I could create just one masterpiece of writing, music, art or something like they all did. I just hope being the mundane nobody I am I never reach this type low where I can't stand to live anymore.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Too soon?

(sorry, this is so wrong.... but funny, too.)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I absolutely detested that whole grunge scene and all of the dreariness and negative energy of the music of that era but I'm always sad to see someone pass.

RIP.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Another death from mind altering, doctor prescribed drugs?

Chris Cornell's Wife Issues Statement, Blames Anxiety Medicine for Suicide
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...tement-w483179

Lorazepam
    Brand name: Ativan

Sedative
    It can treat seizure disorders, such as epilepsy. It can also be used before surgery and medical procedures to relieve anxiety.

Controlled substance
    Can cause paranoid or suicidal ideation and impair memory, judgment, and coordination. Combining with other substances, particularly alcohol, can slow breathing and possibly lead to death.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Another death from mind altering, doctor prescribed drugs?

Chris Cornell's Wife Issues Statement, Blames Anxiety Medicine for Suicide
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...tement-w483179

Lorazepam
    Brand name: Ativan

Sedative
    It can treat seizure disorders, such as epilepsy. It can also be used before surgery and medical procedures to relieve anxiety.

Controlled substance
    Can cause paranoid or suicidal ideation and impair memory, judgment, and coordination. Combining with other substances, particularly alcohol, can slow breathing and possibly lead to death.
    Possible. Never underestimate the negative side effects of drugs.

Then again, maybe the drugs made him miscalculate while masturbating.

Did he leave a suicide note or suicide message? That would confirm a finding of suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I absolutely detested that whole grunge scene and all of the dreariness and negative energy of the music of that era but I'm always sad to see someone pass.

RIP.
    I never liked Nirvana (definition of grunge). But many of those bands were not really grunge (which implied a stripped down punk influence), but were hard rock and metal, unless you want to classify them as grunge simply due to location and timing (and possibly lyrical mood).

Although Alice in Chains has been labeled grunge by the mainstream media,[95] Jerry Cantrell identifies the band as primarily heavy metal. He told Guitar World in 1996, "We're a lot of different things ... I don't quite know what the mixture is, but there's definitely metal, blues, rock and roll, maybe a touch of punk. The metal part will never leave, and I never want it to".[96] The Edmonton Journal has stated, "Living and playing in Seattle might have got them the grunge tag, but they've always pretty much been a classic metal band to the core."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Although Alice in Chains has been labeled grunge by the mainstream media,[95] Jerry Cantrell identifies the band as primarily heavy metal. He told Guitar World in 1996, "We're a lot of different things ... I don't quite know what the mixture is, but there's definitely metal, blues, rock and roll, maybe a touch of punk. The metal part will never leave, and I never want it to".[96] The Edmonton Journal has stated, "Living and playing in Seattle might have got them the grunge tag, but they've always pretty much been a classic metal band to the core."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Chains
    LOL. I remember a couple of friends of mine arguing way back when over whether Alice in Chains was an "alternative" band or a "metal" band. They asked me what I thought. I didn't really have a dog in that hunt. (I mean, what does it really matter, anyway? Let's just say AIC is a "kickass" band and leave it at that.) But they insisted, so I said "metal." It's sorta nice to know I got it right, though - or at least, "not wrong" ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

death by mis-adventure?...

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    LOL. I remember a couple of friends of mine arguing way back when over whether Alice in Chains was an "alternative" band or a "metal" band. They asked me what I thought. I didn't really have a dog in that hunt. (I mean, what does it really matter, anyway? Let's just say AIC is a "kickass" band and leave it at that.) But they insisted, so I said "metal." It's sorta nice to know I got it right, though - or at least, "not wrong" ...
    Back to Soundgarden, they were the definition grunge band on their first two albums, which most people have never heard of. By their third album Badmotorfinger, they were crossing over to metal, and after that, they went more hard rock. Chris Cornell did all kinds of styles solo.

From their second album, Louder Than Love:

One of my favorite bands and my hands down favorite vocalists. Sae them in Austin a few years ago. Amazing talent gone too soon.

I was waiting to see whether he was on any prescription drugs and this confirms it. These pills have taken so many lives!!

Chris Cornell’s Family Says He Wouldn’t Intentionally Take His Own Life and Had Taken an ‘Extra Ativan or Two’ Before His Death

The family of Chris Cornell are speaking out about the shocking death of the Soundgarden and Audioslave frontman, who was found dead at MGM Grand Detroit on Wednesday night. The medical examiner ruled that Cornell died of suicide by hanging, but the family believes he was not suicidal and instead hint that the side effects of his prescription drugs may have led to his death.

The Cornell family’s attorney Kirk Pasich said in a statement that the family is “disturbed” at inferences that Cornell knowingly and intentionally took his life and that Cornell told his wife that he had taken “an extra Ativan or two” before his death.

“Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris — or if any substances contributed to his demise,” Pasich said. “Chris, a recovering addict, had a prescription for Ativan and may have taken more Ativan than recommended dosages. The family believes that if Chris took his life, he did not know what he was doing, and that drugs or other substances may have affected his actions.”

Ativan (lorazepam) is a benzodiazepine that is used to treat anxiety, drug withdrawal, agoraphobia and seizure disorders, among other things. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, rare but serious side effects include worsening depression, unusual mood or behavior and thoughts of hurting yourself.

Read more: http://people.com/music/chris-cornel...uicide-ativan/
    Last edited by donnay; 05-19-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I was waiting to see whether he was on any prescription drugs and this confirms it. These pills have taken so many lives!!

Chris Cornell’s Family Says He Wouldn’t Intentionally Take His Own Life and Had Taken an ‘Extra Ativan or Two’ Before His Death

The family of Chris Cornell are speaking out about the shocking death of the Soundgarden and Audioslave frontman, who was found dead at MGM Grand Detroit on Wednesday night. The medical examiner ruled that Cornell died of suicide by hanging, but the family believes he was not suicidal and instead hint that the side effects of his prescription drugs may have led to his death.

The Cornell family’s attorney Kirk Pasich said in a statement that the family is “disturbed” at inferences that Cornell knowingly and intentionally took his life and that Cornell told his wife that he had taken “an extra Ativan or two” before his death.

“Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris — or if any substances contributed to his demise,” Pasich said. “Chris, a recovering addict, had a prescription for Ativan and may have taken more Ativan than recommended dosages. The family believes that if Chris took his life, he did not know what he was doing, and that drugs or other substances may have affected his actions.”

Ativan (lorazepam) is a benzodiazepine that is used to treat anxiety, drug withdrawal, agoraphobia and seizure disorders, among other things. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, rare but serious side effects include worsening depression, unusual mood or behavior and thoughts of hurting yourself.

Yep. But it's not just prescription drugs.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Usually it's the SSRIs that are a factor in the murder/suicides. It's quite possible he was taking those too. He had a long history of depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapmo View Post
    One of my favorite bands and my hands down favorite vocalists. Sae them in Austin a few years ago. Amazing talent gone too soon.
    Ever hear of Richie Kotzen?

(and possibly lyrical mood).
    Completely this.

To me, everything about the genre was one big miserable downer. It wasn't happy music. The very sound of grunge was a downer. So full of anger and misery. May as well have been raining every day with the dreariest of grey sky hovering above listening to that miserable sound. In my view. Of course, I was an adult in the previous decade so that's probably why I hate it so much. It was totally the opposite vibe that I was used to and liked. When grunge came along it destroyed all that was good and enjoyable about the radio on the drive home. Most miserable drive home ever.

And yes I understand that SG and AIC has a metalish foundation. It's no different than rock n roll having blues and gospel beginnings. But rock n roll ain't gospel, now, is it? lol.

I'm calling it grunge, though. You guys can call it what ya want. Most anybody you ask will agree that they not only consider it grunge, but SG was one of the first bands to popularize grunge. Sounds like grunge. Gives me a downer like grunge. Makes me miserable like grunge. I was pissed off when grunge came along and to this day I want my rock n roll back.

Regardless of that, I don't want to be disrespectful so I do offer my condolences. As I said, I don't like to read about people dying. Well, unless they're a tyrant. That's different.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-19-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Completely this.

To me, everything about the genre was one big miserable downer. It wasn't happy music. The very sound of grunge was a downer. So full of anger and misery. May as well have been raining every day with the dreariest of grey sky hovering above listening to that miserable sound. In my view. f course, I was an adult in the previous decade so that's probably why I hate it so much. When grunge came along it destroyed all that was good and enjoyable about the radio on the drive home. Most miserable drive ever.

And yes I understand that SG and AIC has a metalish foundation. It's no different than rock n roll having blues and gospel beginnings.

I'm calling it grunge, though. You guys can call it what ya want. Most anybody you ask will agree that they not only consider it grunge, but SG was one of the first bands to popularize grunge. Sounds like grunge. Gives me a downer like grunge. Makes me miserable like grunge. I was pissed off when grunge came along and to this day I want my rock n roll back.

Regardless of that, I don't want to be disrespectful so I do offer my condolences. As I said, I don't like to read about people dying. Well, unless they're a tyrant. That's differeret.

I concur. It's sad that prescription drugs got the best of these people.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I concur. It's sad that prescription drugs got the best of these people.
    Well. When it comes to the music industry, handlers have a lot to do with sobriety or the lack of it.

But, yes, it certainly is a very sad thing. Agreed.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were far above their Seattle peers IMHO. They featured more complex rhythm layers throughout their music.

Back to Soundgarden, they were the definition grunge band on their first two albums, which most people have never heard of. By their third album Badmotorfinger, they were crossing over to metal, and after that, they went more hard rock. Chris Cornell did all kinds of styles solo.

From their second album, Louder Than Love:

Some of it has to do with their record contract. Even if they have some creative freedom, the record company wants albums that can neatly fit into some genre. Especially in the past, when people had to go to record stores to buy music. They want to know what section to put the album, and which radio stations would play them. That's why a lot of these musicians do side projects until they are powerful enough to make whatever they want.

This is one of the songs for Badmotorfinger that got cut because it was way too technical with guitar effects and exotic time signatures:
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Such sad news.

I just saw him perform a few months ago in the Temple of the Dog tour. May the Lord forgive him and give him the peace he could not find or hold on to in this world.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I think we all feel tired in one way or another, especially if you're trapped in a modern, urbanized setting. But we must fight on. Thinking about the pedophiles getting their teeth kicked in one day, helps me weather the daily bull$#@! we are faced with each day. I don't think Cornell discovered that higher calling.

A police report obtained by The Detroit News reveals that Cornell's wife asked his bodyguard to check on him in his hotel suite because she became concerned when her husband kept repeating "I am just tired" in a telephone conversation with her a short time earlier. The bodyguard, Martin Kirsten, went to Cornell's room in the MGM Grand Hotel just after midnight and kicked two doors open — the front door as well as a second door leading to the bedroom suite — before finding Cornell slumped on the bathroom floor "with blood running from his mouth and a red exercise band around [his] neck."
    Last edited by AuH20; 05-19-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Such sad news.

I just saw him perform a few months ago in the Temple of the Dog tour. May the Lord forgive him and give him the peace he could not find or hold on to in this world.
    Wow. You were lucky. I wanted to go see it, and could not find anyone, even a friend who is a huge Cornell fan, to go. It was in SF, and most people don't want to go anywhere near that city anymore. It's a leftist sewer.

I wonder if he was on some type of stimulant to keep him prepped for a rigorous tour schedule? Then add in all the airports and hotels. That has to get old quick.

It's interesting that the last song he sang was about death.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/entert...of-dying-trnd/
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast