Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump budget chief: Spending bill must have money for wall

Trump budget chief: Spending bill must have money for wall

Trump budget chief: Spending bill must have money for wall

By ANDREW TAYLOR Associated Press APRIL 20, 2017 — 7:41PM

WASHINGTON — White House budget director Mick Mulvaney says that Democratic negotiators on a massive spending bill need to agree to fund top priorities of President Donald Trump such as a down payment on a border wall and hiring of additional immigration agents.

Mulvaney told The Associated Press in an interview that "elections have consequences" and that "we want wall funding" as part of the catchall spending bill, which lawmakers hope to unveil next week.

The former GOP congressman from South Carolina also said that the administration is open, though undecided, about a key Democratic demand that the measure pay for cost-sharing payments to insurance companies that help low-income people afford health policies under the Affordable Care Act.

The $1 trillion-plus legislation is leftover business from last year's election-season gridlock and would cover the operating budgets of every Cabinet department except for Veterans Affairs.

Talks on the measure have hit a rough patch as a deadline to avert a government shutdown looms late next week. Trump's presidency is approaching the symbolic 100-day mark, but his GOP allies in Congress have been tempering expectations that the president would emerge as a big winner. Democratic votes are likely to be needed to pass whatever bill emerges from the talks, and Senate Democrats could bottle it up entirely if they object to provisions that they deem to be "poison pills" — such as the money for the wall.

GOP leaders on Capitol Hill are eager to avert a shutdown, and the slow pace may make it necessary to enact another temporary spending bill to avert a shutdown next weekend. Mulvaney's hard line could foreshadow a protracted impasse and increases the chances of a government shutdown.

"A shutdown is never a desired end and neither is it a strategy," Mulvaney said.

Democrats are confident that Republicans, controlling both House and Senate, would bear the blame for any shutdown, even as Democrats wield power in the talks.

"We have the leverage and they have the exposure," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., told fellow Democrats on a Thursday conference call, according to a senior Democratic aide.

Mulvaney said the White House delivered an offer to negotiators Wednesday night, with funding for the border wall a top demand. Other items on the White House priority list, Mulvaney said, are a $30 billion request for a cash infusion for the military and a controversial provision to give the administration greater latitude to deny certain federal grants to "sanctuary cities" that refuse to cooperate with immigration enforcement by federal authorities.

"We want wall funding. We want (immigration) agents. Those are our priorities," Mulvaney said. "We know there are a lot of people on the Hill, especially in the Democratic Party, who don't like the wall, but they lost the election. And the president should, I think, at least have the opportunity to fund one of his highest priorities in the first funding bill under his administration."

He said the wall is "something that's a tremendous priority for us and that clearly was a seminal issue in the 2016 presidential race." Trump also repeatedly promised that Mexico would pay for the wall. But its cost, expected to exceed $20 billion, would likely be borne by taxpayers. And some Republicans are opposed to the wall as well, instead preferring to spend more on technologies such as sensors and drone aircraft to beef up border security.

Democrats have taken a hard line against any money for the border wall and insist that the measure include the "Obamacare" payments to insurance companies.

At issue are cost-sharing payments that are a key subsidy under the health care law to help low-income people enrolled through the law's insurance marketplaces with their out-of-pocket expenses. Trump has threatened to withhold the payments as a means to force Democrats to negotiate on health care legislation.

The cost-sharing payments are the subject of a lawsuit by House Republicans, and Trump threatened in an interview with The Wall Street Journal last week to drop the payments, which experts warn would severely disrupt Obamacare's marketplaces.

Mulvaney said the White House isn't enthusiastic about Democratic demands on the Obamacare payments but is open to them as part of a broader agreement.

"The president has been quoted several times and said he's inclined not to make them and I can't tell you that I'm interested in dissuading him from that position," Mulvaney said. "That being said, if it's important enough to the Democrats, we'd be happy to talk to them about including that in sort of some type of compromise."

Added Mulvaney: "If Democrats are interested and serious about compromise and negotiation, the ball is in their court."

"Everything had been moving smoothly until the administration moved in with a heavy hand," countered Matt House, a spokesman for Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. "Not only are Democrats opposed to the wall, there is significant Republican opposition as well."
    http://www.startribune.com/trump-bud...all/420010113/
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And did los Congreso tell him ¡chinga tu madre! as expected?

Wait, what? He's pressuring the U.S. Congress for that money?! But that isn't what he promised! He said Mexico would pay for that!

I think I'll write my Congressman to tell him ¡chinga tu madre! Go tell it to los Congreso.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Los Congreso , LOL , makes them sound better than they are .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Los Congreso , LOL , makes them sound better than they are .
    My point was the Congress (in Washington) should tell him to go get the money in Mexico City.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    My point was the Congress (in Washington) should tell him to go get the money in Mexico City.
    I figured he would just tax all of those wire transfers ,
    Do something Danke

And did los Congreso tell him ¡chinga tu madre! as expected?

Wait, what? He's pressuring the U.S. Congress for that money?! But that isn't what he promised! He said Mexico would pay for that!

I think I'll write my Congressman to tell him ¡chinga tu madre! Go tell it to los Congreso.
    No doubt you have heard the explanation for this at least 50 times, why remain willingly ignorant?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    No doubt you have heard the explanation for this at least 50 times, why remain willingly ignorant?
    No doubt you've heard we're up against another debt cap. If he can really squeeze the money out of Mexico, why not cut out the middleman? And if that's yet another promise he made but cannot keep, why wouldn't we tell him, 'No Mexican money, no wall,' and spare ourselves the expense of his ego-stroking boondoggle?

Oh, did I say something that would require you to think, instead of mindlessly pasting and cutting? So sorry.

Good, don't care if mexico pays or not.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No doubt you've heard we're up against another debt cap. If he can really squeeze the money out of Mexico, why not cut out the middleman? And if that's yet another promise he made but cannot keep, why wouldn't we tell him, 'No Mexican money, no wall,' and spare ourselves the expense of his ego-stroking boondoggle?

Oh, did I say something that would require you to think, instead of mindlessly pasting and cutting? So sorry.
    I guess you don't have a very good memory. Let me refresh it for you.

Trump said he was going to build a wall, and Mexico would pay for it.

The media reported that the President of Mexico said, "we are not going to pay for the wall"

The media asked how he would get Mexico to pay for the wall.

Trump said that they wouldn't be paying for directly upfront necessarily, but that we would be recuperating the money eventually through trade agreements and such.

That all happened like a year and a half ago. Trump supporters were totally on board and had no problem with that plan the entire time. Anti-Trump folks won't shut the $#@! up about it, though, and it's really $#@!ing annoying. I don't even care about the wall. Immigration is not a top priority issue for me at all, in fact I had hesitations supporting Ron Paul early on in 2007 when I found out he was for protecting our borders, I had to dig further to find out where he was coming from on that and once I looked into it more I was ok with it. My views on immigration have shifted a little since then, but you will never catch me chanting "BUILD THE WALL!!"
    Last edited by dannno; 04-21-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Ron Paul says NO wall.

Ron Paul says NO wall!

Ronald Ernest Paul says NO WALL!!

So I post something that requires he reason out an original answer, rather than just regurgitating stuff, and he just regurgitates stuff.

Because, you know, when you have an orange tyrant in the White House, Congress isn't allowed to have its own ideas on a matter.

Why am I wasting my time? It's more fun talking to a CD.

Ron Paul's viewpoint as of yesterday -

http://www.ronpaullibertyreport.com/...l-theyre-right

61% of Texans Oppose The Border Wall ... They're Right!
    4/20/2017

By Ron Paul

I'm very happy to see that the people of Texas don't think very much of the border wall. I've always argued that walls would hinder the American people as much as anybody else.

The idea of a wall (that will no doubt cost us a fortune) is detrimental to the concept of liberty and just won't work. It can only end up being a failed way to treat a symptom of our problems, instead of the cause.

I discuss this in detail with Maria Bartiromo below:

In case anybody needs something for their sig:

"Walling people off is not a very libertarian idea. As a matter of fact, I've always argued the walls are going to hinder the American people as much as anybody... I think a wall is totally useless and [Jeff Sessions] didn't mention how he was going to pay for that wall. That's billions of dollars. Nobody knows what it will cost and it won't work. And it's so detrimental to the concept of liberty. Because what it is is they're treating a symptom rather than saying: Our problem is [that we need] a healthy economy, and allowing people to trade freely and go back and forth. Enforce the laws that we have. I would say the wall is treating the symptom and it's not gonna work." - Ron Paul, April 20, 2017.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Wall of anti ballistic defense systems is what we need, wall is what we will get. Trumps friends the Bilderberg's will be sitting pretty in their billion dollar nuclear shelters while they kill 90% of humanity.

That all happened like a year and a half ago. Trump supporters were totally on board and had no problem with that plan the entire time.
    That's because y'all are a bunch of marks. True believers. Bots.
    "The Patriarch"

He'll get that money. Just like he has said, he will cut a deal with Cuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi to make it happen.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

I am more interested in hearing congress , the budget guy and el presidente talk about cuts . What all are they going to cut ?
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am more interested in hearing congress , the budget guy and el presidente talk about cuts . What all are they going to cut ?
    The real worth of your FRN's.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    The real worth of your FRN's.
    Something tells me oyarde would have no problem in a situation where paper money is worthless. He probably has more gold than Ft. Knox.

The willingly ignorant people are the ones who buy whatever ridiculous explanation you're talking about this time.

I expect to hear them brag about cutting the amount that some insignificant budget item was expected to increase by someone.

Whoa there... I thought Mexico was supposed to pay for his wall.

FAIL.

If it's going to be four years of this sort of crap, then someone please show me mercy and shove knives into my eyes.

I see no reason why we cannot have border security without a damned wall. I don't want to live in the Sam's Club version of 1962 Berlin.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

are we really afraid of Mexicans? bunch of goddamn pussies.

hell, we've owned Concacaf for several years....
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

https://twitter.com/sarahnferris/sta...97861655605253

Jan2017

Can President Trump veto any spending bill that doesn't include border wall infrastructure money/down payment ?
    That could possibly be a trump card to play, and a gutsy move for a President probably never used before.

"elections have consequences" and "we want wall funding"

The $1 trillion-plus legislation is leftover business from last year's election-season gridlock and would cover the operating budgets
    of every Cabinet department except for Veterans Affairs.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

The wall is a byproduct of the defiant judicial branch legalizing benefits and other incentives.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Can President Trump veto any spending bill that doesn't include border wall infrastructure money/down payment ?
    That could possibly be a trump card to play, and a gutsy move for a President probably never used before.
    LOLOL

Oh, of course. No president ever shut down the government over something that was in the budget, or something that wasn't in the budget. 240 years of this balance if power, and nobody ever thought of that before.

It took Trump to think of that. In fact, of those 240 years, about 170 never happened. They are Deep State Lies. In actual, incontrivertible fact, the universe was created the day Donald Trump was born, and the sun is yellow because it shines out of his big orange ass!
    Last edited by acptulsa; 04-22-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    LOLOL . . .
    Is that an opinion/vote for a "yes" (?) - i.e. a President could conceivably veto a spending bill.
    Has that ever happened before, I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    He'll get that money. Just like he has said, he will cut a deal with Cuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi to make it happen.
    I am curious what he will offer in return.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post

You can't have one without the other. Your move!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast