Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doug Wead: Sheriff Joe Arpaio Should Receive Medal of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Except this was no statement or referendum on the war on drugs or civil liberties. This was a political prosecution.
    Will Trump order IRS audits for the judge involved?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Will Trump order IRS audits for the judge involved?
    Obama would.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Racially profiling Latinos? Boo hoo. So sad. They have it so tough these days in Modern America. More subversive propaganda from the criminals in D.C. who would throw my ass in prison instantaneously if they ever saw my toys. I'm pretty sure my so-called constitutional rights would be trampled in a millisecond and I'm a freaking citizen of the country!
    Last edited by AuH20; 08-27-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Facts don't matter to either side of the Arpaio pardon debate

The conviction of former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio for criminal contempt is being serially misrepresented. The misrepresentations are material to the question of whether President Donald Trump should have pardoned Arpaio.
    Arpaio’s criminal conviction is routinely, in fact almost invariably, described in one of two ways. Either that he continued to engage in racial profiling despite a court order to stop. Or that he continued with immigration sweeps contrary to a court order to abandon them.
    Both descriptions are inaccurate and misleading.
    He was ordered not to enforce federal law

In the underlying civil case, federal Judge G. Murray Snow did find that Arpaio had unconstitutionally used race in making traffic stops in an effort to find illegal immigrants. In fact, it was the central finding in the civil case.
    Snow’s remedial orders, however, went far beyond simply forbidding the use of race in initial traffic stops. He ordered Arpaio to get out of the immigration enforcement business altogether. Even with a legal stop, Arpaio was to either charge people with a state crime or let them go. No detaining them or turning them over to federal officials for immigration violations.
    It was this edict to get out of the immigration business altogether that federal Judge Susan Bolton found Arpaio in criminal contempt for violating.

However, Bolton’s decision does not include a finding that the sheriff’s office continued to illegally use race in initial stops, or any other legal problem with the initial stops. It was what the sheriff’s office did after the stop – turn people over to the feds for immigration violations without charging them with state crimes – that Bolton found in criminal contempt of Snow’s civil orders.

Federal law explicitly authorizes local law enforcement to communicate with federal officials about the immigration status of those they encounter. State law requires local law enforcement to follow up on reasonable suspicion of illegal presence when practical to do so.
    So, arguably, Snow’s order prohibited Arpaio from doing what federal law allows and state law mandates. When Trump said in Phoenix that Arpaio was convicted for doing his job, there’s a basis for that point of view.
    But Arpaio doesn't deserve a pardon

Now, I don’t support a pardon for Arpaio. He was a lousy cop, a crummy administrator and a menace to the rule of law.
    Singling out people based on their race for disproportionate law enforcement scrutiny, as Arpaio unquestionably did with his immigration sweeps, violates the fundamental founding principles of our country.
    Before that, Arpaio trampled all over procedural rights and protocols in pursuit of his nutty conspiracy theory, hatched with former County Attorney Andrew Thomas, involving the Board of Supervisors, its staff, and some judges.
    And even if Snow’s order was an overreach, Arpaio’s duty was to obey it while appealing it. Arpaio’s career ending with a criminal conviction is fitting.
    None of these distinctions and nuances likely entered into Trump’s decision to pardon Arpaio. Arpaio is an important ally and symbol on one of Trump’s signature issues, illegal immigration. The facts don’t matter to him.
    By serially misrepresenting what Arpaio was found in criminal contempt for doing, opponents of a pardon have demonstrated that facts don’t matter to them either.

More at: http://www.azcentral.com/story/opini...ter/603064001/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Obama would.
    Bill Clinton definitely would have.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Aye
    The mere fact that you are still on this website preaching globalism in the name of Ron Paul is not only rubbing people's noses in it, but is an affront to everything Ron Paul ever stood for.

/end rant
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Actually the sun doesn't "come up" at all. It's the earth that moves around the sun. Or are you a flat earther now?

But back to the truth, something you can't handle. It was Trump and his supporters that ended Rand Paul's campaign and by extension thwarted Ron Paul. I have yet to see you call them out for it.
    Oh bull$#@!, Drake. Rand ended himself. If he had wanted to ruin his campaign, he couldn't have done it better.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    The mere fact that you are still on this website preaching globalism in the name of Ron Paul is not only rubbing people's noses in it, but is an affront to everything Ron Paul ever stood for.

/end rant
    Back to your one-pony argument- and it was YOU who was an ardent Trump supporter- so don't even go off on calling others "an affront to everything Ron Paul ever stood for".
    There is no spoon.

Whether any of you like or dislike Arpaio, he was tried in a kangaroo court and that is why he should be pardoned and why liberty-loving people ought to stand up for this as well.

The Bundy's are going through the same thing. In the last case, at least the Bundy's had a jury trial, Arpaio asked for one as was refused.
    Last edited by donnay; 08-28-2017 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Whether any of you like or dislike Arpaio, he was tried in a kangaroo court and that is why he should be pardoned and why liberty-loving people ought to stand up for this as well.

The Bundy's are going through the same thing. In the last cast, at least the Bundy's had a jury trial, Arpaio asked for one as was refused.
    From @Swordsmyth's article above:

Now, I don’t support a pardon for Arpaio. He was a lousy cop, a crummy administrator and a menace to the rule of law.
    Singling out people based on their race for disproportionate law enforcement scrutiny, as Arpaio unquestionably did with his immigration sweeps, violates the fundamental founding principles of our country.
    Before that, Arpaio trampled all over procedural rights and protocols in pursuit of his nutty conspiracy theory, hatched with former County Attorney Andrew Thomas, involving the Board of Supervisors, its staff, and some judges.
    And even if Snow’s order was an overreach, Arpaio’s duty was to obey it while appealing it. Arpaio’s career ending with a criminal conviction is fitting.
    There is no spoon.

Why this guy gets a break while Snowden has to seek asylum in another country.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Because I believe Trump is isolated from the truth. He has been fed a bunch of lies and believes Snowden is a traitor.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Because I believe Trump is isolated from the truth. He has been fed a bunch of lies and believes Snowden is a traitor.
    It's a shame that there isn't like an endless trove of truth available in everyone's pocket.

If there was, of course, then they'd not have any excuses for their ignorance.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    It's a shame that there isn't like an endless trove of truth available in everyone's pocket.

If there was, of course, then they'd not have any excuses for their ignorance.

There is no spoon.

/end rant
    Doubts,,
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Because I believe Trump is isolated from the truth.
    Oh please,,

This clown was running with the Clintons before he started trolling Republicans.
    The only thing you can expect is a show.

The agenda continues. And the Police State will grow.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Back to your one-pony argument- and it was YOU who was an ardent Trump supporter- so don't even go off on calling others "an affront to everything Ron Paul ever stood for".
    Yes, I voted for him and would do it again. Next?
    ================

Yes, I voted for him and would do it again. Next?
    Of course you would.

To quote @pcosmar:

Oh please,

This clown was running with the Clintons before he started trolling Republicans.
    The only thing you can expect is a show.

The agenda continues. And the Police State will grow.
    How Libertarian of you.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Of course you would.

To quote @pcosmar:

How Libertarian of you.
    Some people are tired of losing and would sooner drop their principles to join a winning team. This is the rational most of the reluctant Trump supporters on this site are working with. That or they hate Hillary so much that they rather give their vote to her best m8 Trump.

It might be hard for people like me or you to fully understand but that is their perspective

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Some people are tired of losing and would sooner drop their principles to join a winning team. This is the rational most of the reluctant Trump supporters on this site are working with. That or they hate Hillary so much that they rather give their vote to her best m8 Trump.

It might be hard for people like me or you to fully understand but that is their perspective
    I am all for winning liberty back. Hey, it took a long time to take it away and I am sure, getting it back, isn't going to happen overnight.

Here are some things that I like seeing:

1. President Trump decreased the US Debt in his first 100 days by $100 Billion
    2. Trump is enforcing regulatory reform.
    3. Trump is reducing regulations on manufacturers.
    4. Trump has exit the US from the TPP.
    5. Trump has taken the US out of the phony climate change agenda.
    6. Trump has placed a hiring freeze on federal employees.
    7. Trump has cut the funding for sanctuary cities.
    8. Trump has approved pipelines to advance here in the US.

I know some here like to blame Trump for EVERYTHING-- like the media and democrats do, but I will give credit where credit is due.

Some of the things I do not like is sending more troops to Afghanistan. Sessions going after states that have already agreed to cannabis. Appointing McMasters as National Security Advisor and Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State. However, no one is perfect, I am a realist, not a purist.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Enemy of the state vs the state. If you love authoritarian statism then Sheriff Joe is your guy.
    "The Patriarch"

I am all for winning liberty back. Hey, it took a long time to take it away and I am sure, getting it back, isn't going to happen overnight.

1. President Trump decreased the US Debt in his first 100 days by $100 Billion
    2. Trump is enforcing regulatory reform.
    3. Trump is reducing regulations on manufacturers.
    4. Trump has exit the US from the TPP.
    5. Trump has taken the US out of the phony climate change agenda.
    6. Trump has placed a hiring freeze on federal employees.
    7. Trump has cut the funding for sanctuary cities.
    8. Trump has approved pipelines to advance here in the US.

I know some here like to blame Trump for EVERYTHING-- like the media and democrats do, but I will give credit where credit is due.

Some of the things I do not like is sending more troops to Afghanistan. Sessions going after states that have already agreed to cannabis. Appointing McMasters as National Security Advisor and Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State. However, no one is perfect, I am a realist, not a purist.
    I remembered the early days of Obama and liberals/progressives floated lists like the one in your post about Obama. The problem with those kind of lists is that they are usually full lies or half truth. Take the number one item on your list. Trump reduces the debt by $100 billion in the first 100 days. is that even true when he hasn't passed a budget and the country is operating on Obama's budget. Also, what if he cut the debt by $100 billion in 100 days, does it follow that the debt would be cut by $365 billion in 365 days? Ofc not, the debt would probably grow by at least $1 trillion plus after the end of the year.

I want to see results not lists, so when some substantial period of time has passed, I would like to see that list with things that has actually been accomplished but the stuff you posted.

1. President Trump decreased the US Debt in his first 100 days by $100 Billion (signed a non conservative budgjet in first 100 days that increased the debt)
    2. Trump is enforcing regulatory reform. 3. Trump is reducing regulations on manufacturers. (Trump is just picking winners and losers and has not lowered taxes/regulations across the board)
    4. Trump has exit the US from the TPP. (we were never in TPP)
    5. Trump has taken the US out of the phony climate change agenda. (Trump has only switched from subsidizing clean energy to subsidizing fossil fuels, More crony capitalism just different people receiving the government money)
    6. Trump has placed a hiring freeze on federal employees. (This hasn't stopped Trump from bringing in a bunch of neocons to his cabinet and giving them federal jobs)
    7. Trump has cut the funding for sanctuary cities. (Trump should stop federal funding in all cities)
    8. Trump has approved pipelines to advance here in the US. (Trump has only switched from subsidizing clean energy to subsidizing fossil fuels.
    Sorry Trump is even worse on energy then Obama was, he has only escalated Russian containment policies and tried to increase ACA subsidies that were started by the administrations before him. He is leading us on a path to war with Russia, the only difference is they pick different winners through crony capitalistic policies and socialized medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I remembered the early days of Obama and liberals/progressives floated lists like the one in your post about Obama. The problem with those kind of lists is that they are usually full lies or half truth. Take the number one item on your list. Trump reduces the debt by $100 billion in the first 100 days. is that even true when he hasn't passed a budget and the country is operating on Obama's budget. Also, what if he cut the debt by $100 billion in 100 days, does it follow that the debt would be cut by $365 billion in 365 days? Ofc not, the debt would probably grow by at least $1 trillion plus after the end of the year.

I want to see results not lists, so when some substantial period of time has passed, I would like to see that list with things that has actually been accomplished but the stuff you posted.
    Well you have to pay attention. Oh, Trump has also done like Ron Paul has, he is not taking a salary. But hey, Trump is friends with the Clinton's, you know the Clinton's that stole things from the white house when they left.

Well you have to pay attention. Oh, Trump has also done like Ron Paul has, he is not taking a salary. But hey, Trump is friends with the Clinton's, you know the Clinton's that stole things from the white house when they left.
    Trump will be the most expensive president in our living history, you are reading the fake news again.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Trump will be the most expensive president in our living history, you are reading the fake news again.
    Yeah, that's it! Thanks.

Yeah, that's it! Thanks.
    Yep, between his constant lavish vacations and renovations to the Whitehouse and constant flights to new york to micro manage his business. He has billed stuff to his own business that is more then the entire pay the president would make. You are cheering on stuff that any "moderate" would of passed, especially a right wing moderate. This is a libertarian forum, Trump is making the swamp great again.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump is a moderate, Ron Paul is a libertarian, they are opposites you window licker.
    LOL! People are blinded by the flash the trigger causes.

Yep, between his constant lavish vacations and renovations to the Whitehouse and constant flights to new york to micro manage his business. He has billed stuff to his own business that is more then the entire pay the president would make. You are cheering on stuff that any "moderate" would of passed, especially a right wing moderate. This is a libertarian forum, Trump is making the swamp great again.
    Yup, he is being penny wise and pound foolish. Yea, he doesn't collect any pay but then uses the govt credit cared like its going out of style. if he wants to impress me, let him pay for his own security, travel and living expenses. After all, he is a billionaire and during the campaign, he wouldn't shut up about how rich he is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast