Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marcus Carey: Rand Paul Is Right To Ask: "Who Do We Want To Be, As A People And A Nation

Marcus Carey: Rand Paul Is Right To Ask: "Who Do We Want To Be, As A People And A Nation

Last edited by sailingaway; 02-10-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Yeah too bad he wrote about us "Fake conservatives" who aren't afraid of the Muslim insurrection.

wxx. bluegrassbulletin. com/2011/02/i-need-your-help.html

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanNKy View Post
    Yeah too bad he wrote about us "Fake conservatives" who aren't afraid of the Muslim insurrection.

wxx. bluegrassbulletin. com/2011/02/i-need-your-help.html

What I want to know is this: are these people REALLY Paul supporters, or are they perhaps sabatouers seeking to undercut the TEA party, Rand Paul and the conservative movement?

We all know that the radical Jihadists are sneaky cowards. Might these folks really be Jihad sympathizers dressing like conservatives in order to gain credibility as they lodge their complaints about criticism of radical Islam, or liberals posing as conservatives in order to claim credibility they haven't earned?

Or might there really be a vein of anti-Semitism out there running through the TEA party movement?

Or is this strictly a fiscal issue, one where continued support of our allies is considered too much spending?

Or are these criticisms the manifestation of the isolationist approach to threats around the world, one that argues in favor of keeping our hands off of problems in foreign countries?

I can't quite figure out where these folks are coming from.

Can you help me?
    I didn't post this on his blog, but I'll take a stab at answering his neo-conish questions.

From a Paul supporter:

1. I've lived in Kentucky long enough to speak as a Kentuckian, born and raised here. With that being said, I can barely spell Jihad or Islamic, as their religion and language isn't a part of most Kentuckians daily lives, so to attempt to link someone who disagrees with your views as a possible undercover Islamic-radical is downright strange, and desperate.

2. Egypt is a sovereign nation. Patriots respect private property and sovereign nations; they do not seek to invade and conquer them in the name of Democracy and Freedom.

3. Yes, it is somewhat a fiscal issue, as all issues are fiscal issues when we are borrowing money from foreign countries (and the Fed) to fund our government. We're basically charging everything on a credit-card, and its time to stop it, all of it. We have to focus our spending on domestic issues first, not "fighting for freedom" against the Islamics, who by the way are ruled by tyrants and dictators, we support and fund. Perhaps if we didn't support the repression of the general public in the Middle East, they wouldn't hate "democracy and freedom."--crazy thought, huh?

4. Racism? Really, you want to play the race-card? I guess you know how it feels to try and deflect that one, so anyway, let's get serious. If there are racists against Israel, they are too few to consider for any real-world argument, as are they when compared with the Tea Party. Because any "racists" are the minority in any group, and if they expose their "racist" beliefs, they are hooted from any movement. Far too often the race-card played to silence opposition.

5. Allowing the population of a foreign country to remove a dictator and decide the form of government they wish is hardly a sin, in fact, I would say it's the American-thing to do. Actually many presidents have made the case we should help to install democracy. Are you telling me, you support installing dictators and democracy at the barrel-of-a-gun, but not allowing the people of a sovereign nation to bring about organic political change?

This blogger sums up the misguided "I love Israel" wing of the Republican party, they seek to use Christianity vs Islam as a means of controlling public support for Israel. Last I checked, Israel wasn't part of the Union Abraham Lincoln fought to protect, thank God. But, most of the time I agree with him on many issues, just not "the gay-Islamics" are coming for your white women."
    "And who the hell are you?" he asked. "Me?" said Galt. "I'm the driver."

Quote Originally Posted by TheDriver View Post
    I didn't post this on his blog, but I'll take a stab at answering his neo-conish questions.

From a Paul supporter:

1. I've lived in Kentucky long enough to speak as a Kentuckian, born and raised here. With that being said, I can barely spell Jihad or Islamic, as their religion and language isn't a part of most Kentuckians daily lives, so to attempt to link someone who disagrees with your views as a possible undercover Islamic-radical is downright strange, and desperate.

2. Egypt is a sovereign nation. Patriots respect private property and sovereign nations; they do not seek to invade and conquer them in the name of Democracy and Freedom.

3. Yes, it is somewhat a fiscal issue, as all issues are fiscal issues when we are borrowing money from foreign countries (and the Fed) to fund our government. We're basically charging everything on a credit-card, and its time to stop it, all of it. We have to focus our spending on domestic issues first, not "fighting for freedom" against the Islamics, who by the way are ruled by tyrants and dictators, we support and fund. Perhaps if we didn't support the repression of the general public in the Middle East, they wouldn't hate "democracy and freedom."--crazy thought, huh?

4. Racism? Really, you want to play the race-card? I guess you know how it feels to try and deflect that one, so anyway, let's get serious. If there are racists against Israel, they are too few to consider for any real-world argument, as are they when compared with the Tea Party. Because any "racists" are the minority in any group, and if they expose their "racist" beliefs, they are hooted from any movement. Far too often the race-card played to silence opposition.

5. Allowing the population of a foreign country to remove a dictator and decide the form of government they wish is hardly a sin, in fact, I would say it's the American-thing to do. Actually many presidents have made the case we should help to install democracy. Are you telling me, you support installing dictators and democracy at the barrel-of-a-gun, but not allowing the people of a sovereign nation to bring about organic political change?

This blogger sums up the misguided "I love Israel" wing of the Republican party, they seek to use Christianity vs Islam as a means of controlling public support for Israel. Last I checked, Israel wasn't part of the Union Abraham Lincoln fought to protect, thank God. But, most of the time I agree with him on many issues, just not "the gay-Islamics" are coming for your white women."

Well said.

I just posted on that thread. Don't demonize the guy, we get trolls here, you know we do, and he gets them there. We've BANNED people for it (or Josh has...) Some are really out of line and by pretending to be Paul supporters are extremely damaging to the Pauls. I think if you just assume he is asking because he really wants to know, you will do better. He wrote an article way back before he decided to support Rand in the primary about what Ron Paul supporters mean by the word 'neocon', and it was way off base. I think we have a definitional problem, added to the sensitivity of conservatives being lumped in with neoconservatives and being demonized. It polarized the issue to the point where rational discussion is difficult, and I commend him for asking the questions.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Actually, he is a pro Israel, neo-conish tendencies. I like Marcus but, that was where we part.

Israel is an ally. There is a difference between noting that fact and deciding Israel should come before the United States in our considerations.

And I don't really know where Marcus stands on that, I guess, but I just would have a hard time thinking he would say we should support Israel to the extent it is detrimental to the United States's interests. Sometimes people can have different opinions on what furthers the US's national security interests, without being traitors. We don't need to make enemies of everyone who isn't 100% eye to eye with us all the time. In fact, if that sort of purity were required, these forums would be MUCH smaller. I'm a libertarian LEANING paleocon.... I'm not so anti-war I wouldn't think we should fight under any circumstances. Some who occasionally come here are actually ANTI-US and anti-Israel as a particular goal -- mind you they don't find much support for those ideas. I can see where Marcus would want to know where those fit in with the rest of us, and I am glad he asked rather than jumping to conclusions as many do.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 02-10-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Israel is an ally. There is a difference between noting that fact and deciding Israel should come before the United States in our considerations.

And I don't really know where Marcus stands on that, I guess, but I just would have a hard time thinking he would say we should support Israel to the extent it is detrimental to the United States's interests. Sometimes people can have different opinions on what furthers the US's national security interests, without being traitors. We don't need to make enemies of everyone who isn't 100% eye to eye with us all the time. In fact, if that sort of purity were required, these forums would be MUCH smaller. I'm a libertarian LEANING paleocon.... I'm not so anti-war I wouldn't think we should fight under any circumstances. Some who occasionally come here are actually ANTI-US and anti-Israel as a particular goal -- mind you they don't find much support for those ideas. I can see where Marcus would want to know where those fit in with the rest of us, and I am glad he asked rather than jumping to conclusions as many do.
    I guess the real question is: Should we go to war with the Muslim countries if they attack Israel, and Israel is in danger of being slaughtered? And I'm not sure I can blindly answer that, in a hypothetical situation. I have a feeling this blogger says: yes, we should declare war and protect our ally--the only democracy in the Middle East. However, I'm not sure Israel couldn't defend itself without us, but I could be wrong, and I'm not sure if they can't defend themselves, it's worth spending our blood and treasure to defend the nation they (Israel) claimed or carved out. As there are many questions and land disputes they face.

Israel needs to make friends and/or concessions with its neighbors, and we need to stop funding both sides through foreign military aid.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I guess the real question is: Should we go to war with the Muslim countries if they attack Israel, and Israel is in danger of being slaughtered? And I'm not sure I can blindly answer that, in a hypothetical situation. I have a feeling this blogger says: yes, we should declare war and protect our ally--the only democracy in the Middle East. However, I'm not sure Israel couldn't defend itself without us, but I could be wrong, and I'm not sure if they can't defend themselves, it's worth spending our blood and treasure to defend the nation they (Israel) claimed or carved out. As there are many questions and land disputes they face.

Israel needs to make friends and/or concessions with its neighbors, and we need to stop funding both sides through foreign military aid.
    I'd need to know more facts about the situation you describe. I'm not saying there are NO circumstances where we would protect Israel, just as we 'protected Europe' in WWII, after being bombed at Pearl Harbor. But I don't think what we are doing in the middle east RIGHT NOW is in our best interest. And I do see both sides of the land issue, and that means both sides. It was promised by the British to two sets of people, one of which already lived there, and the other of which had nowhere else to go. There is NO WAY you could expect there to be a happy ending from that. The question is, how much of that is OUR issue, and how much of that needs to be settled by the people in question?
    Last edited by sailingaway; 02-10-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of A Patriot View Post
    The post at BluegrassBulletin has been updated.
    Thanks.

So he updated the site to say he doesn't understand why we aren't afraid of Muslims, like he is? As Senator Paul said... there are 100 Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and we have 100,000 troops there to fight them. So we spend Billions trotting all over the globe, selling out our Liberty over the patriot act and borrowing money from China and Japan to give cash to a country that is far from cash strapped money in the name of "fighting Islam."

Basically, his fear of Muslims is based on a group about the size of 'The Klan.' Yes, the population in the area is sympathetic to their cause but, there are many areas in the U.S. sympathetic to the Klan's cause. The difference in this scenario.... no need for a radical group from America like the Klan to go to a Middle Eastern country to get in their chili, our military is over there attacking their towns and inserting dictators for decades and building military bases.

Wonder how Marcus would react if Yemen came to Kentucky built a base and installed this guy as Governor?

Something tells me he would for the "Christian Brotherhood" pretty fast.

So he updated the site to say he doesn't understand why we aren't afraid of Muslims, like he is? As Senator Paul said... there are 100 Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and we have 100,000 troops there to fight them. So we spend Billions trotting all over the globe, selling out our Liberty over the patriot act and borrowing money from China and Japan to give cash to a country that is far from cash strapped money in the name of "fighting Islam."

Basically, his fear of Muslims is based on a group about the size of 'The Klan.' Yes, the population in the area is sympathetic to their cause but, there are many areas in the U.S. sympathetic to the Klan's cause. The difference in this scenario.... no need for a radical group from America like the Klan to go to a Middle Eastern country to get in their chili, our military is over there attacking their towns and inserting dictators for decades and building military bases.

Wonder how Marcus would react if Yemen came to Kentucky built a base and installed this guy as Governor?

He isn't really saying that. He isn't afraid of 'all' Muslims from what I am taking away from what he writes, but about a specific, militarized subset. I guess we just feel the army we have on the ground is way too big and poorly targeted for the task.

He isn't really saying that. He isn't afraid of 'all' Muslims from what I am taking away from what he writes, but about a specific, militarized subset. I guess we just feel the army we have on the ground is way too big and poorly targeted for the task.
    Come on dude: http://www.bluegrassbulletin.com/201...-buddhist.html

This guy buys into the "Muslims Lie" crap. I like Marcus as I've said earlier but, he is prejudice against Muslims. He links this when implying the Religion of Peace. He's a Christian. His Bible is cool with Slavery..... It's pure fear tactic crap. Each religion has some pretty stupid things to it.

I'll be using this logic to help convince some local Neo-Cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieppa1 View Post
    I'll be using this logic to help convince some local Neo-Cons.
    I actually use the Colonists fighting the British Government. Whatever works my man.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The post at BluegrassBulletin has been updated.
    I can't help him with the racist questions about Jewish people, as I don't post "crap" like that (or think that way), and don't identify with grouping people into races, I prefer issues. But that is not to say someone isn't posting racially charged garbage about Jewish people on his site, but they don't speak for any "sane" member of any movement, that I'm aware of.

I'll be honest, and I don't like calling people racists, but if you could classify Muslims as a race of people, it appears many on the right, who just happened to be "Bible-thumpers" appear to be racists toward Muslims, imo. And it does appear that Mr. Carey could be one of those types, but there are many on the right, as the right was taken-over by social conservatives in recent history.

But it should be OK to disagree with them on this issue and others related to foreign policy, without name-calling and running to our own corners; especially considering Mr. Carey doesn't play fascist games with our comments like some other hater-blogger in Kentucky.

When I think of America, and what America stands for, one of the first things that pops in my head is: freedom of religion.

So I can't get into the demonization of a religion, especially one of the major ones, as I truly respect an individual's right to worship whatever God and/or religion he prefers, or not at all.

I envision a day in America when we will have a Muslim president; some say we have one now.

Mr. Carey doesn't play fascist games with our comments like some other hater-blogger in Kentucky.
    He moderates comments and they have to be approved.

I became a fascist when I felt the need to help Phil Moffett. A staffer of Phil's was spending way too much time commenting on my site instead of campaigning.

I can't help about the anti-Jewish stuff either. The best I can offer is Ron's quote that 'if you believe in liberty you have to tolerate the nonsense.'

However, sometimes I wonder if some people don't understand how much they hurt the Pauls, or if it is intentional.

He moderates comments and they have to be approved.

I became a fascist when I felt the need to help Phil Moffett. A staffer of Phil's was spending way too much time commenting on my site instead of campaigning.
    Bloggers than can't handle readers' comments, shouldn't have the option to post comments, imo. As long as the responses aren't offensive, that is.

But, most of the time I agree with him on many issues, just not "the gay-Islamics" are coming for your white women."
    Well I already have a white, Christian girlfriend. Marcus doesn't like that? He can go eat $#@! then.

That's the update the post above was talking about. He did that a few days ago.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sorry, wrong link.

There is a new post inviting comments.

http://www.bluegrassbulletin.com/201...s-stunned.html
    Thanks. Well I agree with him there are some people who are extreme. I just don't think it should color most Paulites. But I guess I don't know what he received, he moderates comments and I have to assume he got some really nasty ones. I wonder if they were by people trying to make the Pauls look bad, with conservatives generally? That wouldn't be the first that that happened.

Bloggers than can't handle readers' comments, shouldn't have the option to post comments, imo. As long as the responses aren't offensive, that is.
    In his defense, I don't think he censors anything. He's just blocking spammers.

The comment policy is posted on the blog. I think you will find that the only posts which are filtered are those that contain profanity or slander. The best way to find out is to try to post a comment and see if it makes it. All of mine do.

The comical thing Marcus, you got your panties in a bunch when we called out your "boogie man brown man" fear blogs. BUT, this was after you accused us who disagreed with you as "Or might there really be a vein of anti-Semitism out there running through the TEA party movement?"

Yeah at best.... it's pot meet kettle.

Although, you do talk about the same things Lisa Graas talks about, so maybe you and her could write together how radical Islam is about to take over the Florence Mall. Didn't America used to fear Catholics (JFK was gonna take orders from the Pope), Irish, Germans, Native Americans, French, Blacks, Communists etc etc. Always has to be a boogie man.

Then again, you still think President Obama is a Muslim. Good news, that Muslim has kept almost every single one of Bush's bad foreign policies. So, you and President Obama share the same agenda.

EDIT: Maybe you weren't referring to me in the "racial comment." I know I brought up the Klan analogy but, to be honest... I think I have a smaller fear of Muslims since I've had a working relationship with them. One of your comments brought up their treatment of women (which I agree with) and most I know don't force the women to wear head gear or crap. But, I also know Christians like 7th day advent people have to cover their arms etc.

Heck, your friends with a certain campaign manager.... He comes from a religion that is known for bigotry and crimes against women but, I know Mormons and a majority are great people with great family lives. I think when people demonize a religion it causes more problems than the made up threats.

Remember it was "good Christian men" who did this:
    Last edited by BamaFanNKy; 02-12-2011 at 01:05 PM.

I enjoy his blog, glad to see it being posted here again.

Unfortunately, it seems like the hard fringes on both sides always make the most voice, and skew the debate.

I think calling Mr. Carey a 'neo-con' is fully in the absurd realm of the debate, as is calling RP supporters pacificistic palestinian sympathizers.

Both claims are ridiculous.

It would serve both sides to have a rational and reasoned debate on foreign policy without all the absolutisms, name-calling and insinuations.

Bummed not to see Marcus at CPAC!
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    I enjoy his blog, glad to see it being posted here again.

Unfortunately, it seems like the hard fringes on both sides always make the most voice, and skew the debate.

I think calling Mr. Carey a 'neo-con' is fully in the absurd realm of the debate, as is calling RP supporters pacificistic palestinian sympathizers.

Both claims are ridiculous.

It would serve both sides to have a rational and reasoned debate on foreign policy without all the absolutisms, name-calling and insinuations.

Bummed not to see Marcus at CPAC!
    I'm called Libertarian all the time.... Neo Con is not a bad word if you like those policies. The foreign policy he talks of being in support of is that of the neo-conservatives. My Neo Conservative family supported Senator Paul. I love many Neo-Cons.... I just disagree on foreign policy.

Also, no one should take strong worded debate as vitriol but, passionate dissenting opinion. One thing we are not is Progressives who will use the victim or "I'm attacked" because a passionate debate occurs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast