Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And That's A Good Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Taking beers?

This one time, I took some to the wrong theater for my buddies, and I was getting board of Iron Man 3, so I thought I'd twist one off, but when I tried to put it in my cup holder, it fell through the hole in the cupholder and busted. The woman behind me told me I should be ashamed of myself, and I blew up at her in front of her family and everybody there. Told her off and left. It was boring as hell anyway.

My friends kept me even-keeled, so I wouldn't go ape$#@! Hitler on people who startle me.

I walked right past the ushers/imployees, beers in hand. I seriously didn't know there were rules against it, because my superior libertarian intellect can't grok the stupid codes of monkeys. It must have been my aryan face that led me through those doors unchallenged.
    When I was young sometimes we would go up into the city to this one shady theatre and you could take in all the beers you wanted and smoke whatever you liked .
    Do something Danke

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    When I was young sometimes we would go up into the city to this one shady theatre and you could take in all the beers you wanted and smoke whatever you liked .
    We had a shady theater. I went there to see Clerks when it first came out. I loved that frickin movie. The theater closed down soon after that but don't blame that movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The shady theaters are closing everywhere. Only the cineplexes can afford the screen spaces for a dozen movies. The smart ones turned their shady theaters into hipster art houses.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    The only good Star Wars.

https://archive.fo/SjRRU

“We have to free half of the human race, the women, so that they can help to free the other half” wrote the suffragette leader Emmeline Pankhurst. But over a century later, many men still don't realise that the revolution of feminism was fought as much for their freedom as for anybody's.

Instead, they seem to want the bad old days of patriarchy back. Hollywood keeps telling these men the same old story that they adore. A middle-aged guy, divorced from his family, rediscovers his purpose in life by rescuing his daughter/wife/sister/other vulnerable female stereotype from eeevil terrorists. It's every action movie from Bruce Willis in Die Hard to Liam Neeson in Taken.
    Why do people support this $#@! with their money?

Go watch The First Great Train Robbery (78) if you want a good heist movie. $#@! this $#@!.
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 05-24-2018 at 11:11 PM.

My review:

Solo wasn't the worst movie I've see. Chewbacca was the best actor and it pains me to say that because I love Woody Harrelson.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

How full was the theater?

The writers came out and told media point blank he was "panseckshual".
    Doesn't matter what the writer says if it isn't in the film. And it isn't in the film. "Word of Writer" isn't canon. Only what appears in film is canon. And Glover looks fantastic as Lando.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Doesn't matter what the writer says if it isn't in the film. And it isn't in the film. "Word of Writer" isn't canon. Only what appears in film is canon. And Glover looks fantastic as Lando.
    Cheers, enjoy the gay ass reboots and take a stand for greatness in film.

How full was the theater?
    About 1/2 full but I saw the 6:00 show and that's kinds early for out here in the sticks. Most people aren't home from work at that time. Plus, the weather was crazy last night.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    I thought so, too. He was a good young Lando all the way around.

Cheers, enjoy the gay ass reboots and take a stand for greatness in film.
    Well, they aren't reboots. But the newer films are way better than half of everything Lucas ever made. By the end of 2020 Disney will have made more great Star Wars films than Lucas ever did. Especially now that they're finally getting out form under the Skywalker Prophecy garbage and returning to the roots of the Force as a cosmic force that binds all living things together. They're fixing the mistakes George made in his own mythology.

Disney needs to fire K Kennedy and put Chuck Norris in charge of Star Wars.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

It seems like we've been waiting years for the release of Solo: A Star Wars Story, which finally hits theaters on May 25. This stand-alone Star Wars film will be Alden Ehrenreich's first time portraying Han Solo, and it turns out it might be the first of several times we'll see him in the role. The actor appears to have spilled the beans — perhaps a little too early — about more movies in Esquire's May cover story.
    When Esquire spoke with Ehrenreich about all things Harrison Ford and green-juice delivery (the man has varied interests), the publication asked him how many Star Wars movies he'd signed up for. "Three," Ehrenreich said. He quickly followed up his answer with a bit of hesitation, saying, "I don't know if that's officially, uh, public. But — yeah." Oops? It's definitely public now!

More at: https://www.popsugar.com/entertainme...ontent=link_23

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What once seemed impossible is now a reality: A "Star Wars" movie has flopped at the box office.
    The venerable franchise, which managed to remain lucrative even after its good name was sullied by the infamous prequels, has struck out thanks to "Solo: A Star Wars Story," which is projected to gross between $28 million and $29 million this weekend, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Considering that "Solo" only grossed $103 million over the long Memorial Day weekend and is expected to have grossed just under $150 million total by Sunday, this means that the film will have earned less in its first 10 days than "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" grossed during its debut ($155 million).
    As a consequence, the latest "Star Wars" movie could wind up failing to break even in theaters, as Hannah Shaw-Williams of Screen Rant explained on Saturday:
    Studios tend to be very secretive about the costs of marketing and distribution, and Disney is no exception, but the general rule of thumb is that in order to break even a movie needs to gross double its production budget at the box office - in "Solo's" case, at least $500 million. There may be some wiggle room in the fact that the budget was bigger than originally planned, and "Solo" was marketed more like a $125 million movie than a $250 million movie, but realistically it's unlikely to turn a profit at the box office.
    As Scott Mendelson of Forbes explained, though, the underperformance of this particular film could wind up being healthy for the "Star Wars" franchise:
    If you treat "Solo"like "The Incredible Hulk"(Marvel’s first and only flop) and "The Good Dinosaur"/"Cars 3"(Pixar’s only flops), what does that mean? Well, you might see big studios striking out for the first time via films that, while relatively okay or good, represent a certain cynical or safe approach to their respective brands. When big studios hit it big for being risky and take hits for playing it safe, moviegoers win in the long run.

"Solo" had a controversial reputation even before it reached theaters. The original directors, Phil Lord and Chris Miller, were fired near the end of production and replaced with Ron Howard, who completed the filming and did reshoots, according to The Hollywood Reporter. There were also rumors that star Alden Ehrenreich needed an acting coach to better channel the spirit of Harrison Ford's Han Solo, although Ehrenreich later told Esquire that writer- director Maggie Kiley had only been "part of conversations that happened for a couple weeks at one point, but that was basically it."
    While there are a number of possible explanations for the fact that "Solo" bombed — ranging from the decision to release it less than a year after the previous "Star Wars" film ("Star Wars: The Last Jedi") to the rumors surrounding its production to a marketing campaign that did it no favors — the one point that seems clear is that the movie's poor box office results puts a new burden on Disney as it moves forward with the franchise. If 2019's "Star Wars: Episode IX" is a hit and the next stand-alone "Star Wars" movie is also a financial success, the debacle with "Solo" can be dismissed as an anomaly. On the other hand, if the next two "Star Wars" movies underperform as well, it may be time to wonder whether audience interest has waned in the series — or, at the very least, if the executives in charge of running it at Disney are up to the job.

The "Star Wars" franchise is also not in a position where it can afford to take too many hits to its reputation. As I explained in my review, the prequels are widely regarded as being subpar and "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" alienated a lot of fans with how it handled the character arc of Luke Skywalker, one of the series' most iconic characters. With "Solo" now in the same problematic category, the very future of the franchise appears to be at stake.

https://www.salon.com/2018/06/02/sol...ars-franchise/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A Different Perspective: ‘Solo’ Is A Great ‘Star Wars’ Movie That Mocks SJWs

https://www.dailywire.com/news/31382/different-perspective-solo-great-star-wars-movie-harry-khachatrian?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=idealme dia&utm_campaign=dailywire.com&utm_term=68731&utm_ content=1

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Money talks and the Solo movie is already the most expensive in Star Wars history, after Kennedy's dismissal of original directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller lead to wholesale reshoots.
    It is estimated it needs to take more than $500million at the box office just to break even and it has only limped to $264million so far, with even more massive drops in attendance predicted in the coming weeks.
    If this is partly due to concerted boycots by Star Wars fanbases, it will be impossible for Disney to ignore.
    It is too easy to dismiss the fan reactions as the actions of an obsessive minority, fanatics in the worst sense of the word. But their views this time are echoed across major social media platforms and commentators.

Youtube video commentators have wracked up millions of views in the last week with analysis of the situation and the overwhelming support for the exit of Kathleen Kennedy.
    The opinions and criticisms are also powerfully unified. It is overwhelming felt by many fans that the Kennedy vision for Star Wars disrespects the original legacy of the franchise and knowingly betrays the fan base by directly destroying the promises that were made when George Lucas sold the rights to Disney.
    During the sale announcement Kennedy said to Lucas on camera: “The main thing is to protect these characters and to make sure they continue to live in the way that you created them.”

Youtube reviewer Jeremy Jahs has wracked up half a million views with his analysis of the situation.
    He says: "The old crew being killed off to make way for the new crew doesn’t sound like the merger we were told it was. It essentially sounds like a hostile take-over. Which is a how a lot of people are interpreting these movies."
    He echoes the popular frustration that Disney has been too heavy handed forcing social issues into the franchise and the criticism that Rian Johnson tried (unsuccessfully and poorly) to inject Marvel humour into The Last Jedi.
    Jahns explains why this is not an issue of conflicting political or social views among audiences but a fundamental betrayal of what made Star Wars so special, which was that it didn't ever feel like our world or our society – and it was never supposed to.

He says the behaviour of 'feminist' activist droid L3-37 in Solo or that ill-judged prank call between Poe and Hux in The Last Jedi are jarring references to our own modern concerns.
    Jahns argues: “It’s from our galaxy, our solar system, old world. It’s too on the nose. It takes the escapism out of Star Wars.”
    If Star Wars really has lost its magic, what will Disney do about the main architet of this new vision? It seems almost impossible that Kenndy would go before the release of Episode 9 in 2019, but she will need a resounding box office, critical and fan triumph to silence all the voices calling for her departure.

More at: https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...tainment+Feed)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12